Start by marking “On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness

(The Wingfeather Saga #1)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  9,632 ratings  ·  1,389 reviews
Once, in a cottage above the cliffs on the Dark Sea of Darkness, there lived three children and their trusty dog Nugget. Janner Igiby, his brother Tink, their crippled sister Leeli are gifted children as all children are, loved well by a noble mother and ex-pirate grandfather. But they will need all their gifts and all that love to survive the evil pursuit of the venomous ...more
Published March 18th 2008 by Waterbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, please sign up.
Aimee It might also be because the author is mostly known for his Christian music. And if Christians are looking for a book that they don't have to worry ab…moreIt might also be because the author is mostly known for his Christian music. And if Christians are looking for a book that they don't have to worry about anything inappropriate, that helps them so they don't have to go looking for reviews and summary's and such.(less)
Trish Some of the best books I've ever read. Not just because they are entertaining but because he is an extremely talented writer too.

·  9,632 ratings  ·  1,389 reviews

Start your review of On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
Sara
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a war story. A compelling, intriguing, sometimes quirky but deeply moral war story. This is the kind of story that helps us believe that we could stand and be counted if called upon to do so. This is a story that feeds the imagination and stretches the soul and it is a beautiful testimony to the power of family. It is a very good story to have in our moral imaginations.

Getting into the early pages is more than a bit disorienting. Like Middle Earth, we have humans and other creatures coh
Neil R. Coulter
2019 re-read:
We tried to read this book together as a family several years ago, at the recommendation of another family member who had loved it. We didn’t make it very far. Strangely, my original comments about the book (which you can see below) attracted more response here than anything else I’ve written. Every time I got a message that “so-and-so commented on your review,” I would quickly pray that it wasn’t yet another comment about On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness. But it usually was.
Elizabeth Dragina
Andrew Peterson is an amazing story teller. WHOA.

That was epic and riveting and suspenseful and mysterious and awesome and loveable and GAaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I've never seen such wonderful words woven together. It reminds me of the classic fantasies with a magical aura, but so uniquely it's own, with a modern twist.

It's told in a second person POV so I'm amazed I connected with the characters as much as did. 💖

Description ~ It was different and enjoyable. I loved it because Peterson's auth
Allison Tebo
*Mini Review*

This book takes a lot of classic tropes and makes them irresistibly fun with a slightly wry, tongue-in-cheek attitude. The plot moves slowly, and the author spends a lot of time ambling through his world-building – but, please, amble away when it’s a world this imaginative! From the evil Fangs of Dang, to singing dragons, and very mysterious book shops – this world is full of delightful layers and details. And then we have the characters. The siblings; reluctant hero Janner, the awk
Kate Willis
My social media exploded with the news: new editions of the Wingfeather Saga, hardback with more illustrations. <3 Eeeek!!! After the cover reveals, I got even more excited and ordered my own copies of the first two with slow shipping to extend the anticipation. :D

They are GORGEOUS. The illustrations are truly beautiful and convey the world so well. <3 Just the inspiration I needed to re-read. ;)

I loved the family dynamic and how protective Nia and Podo are (and encouraging Janner to be). The wo
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Look at that gorgeous cover. You know, I feel like all the middle grade authors steal the great artists of our time. And I'm okay with that.

Image result for edge of the sea of darkness

And yay I got an ARC for a popular middle grade book. I'm so happy!!!

Merie Shen
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
That was loads of fun. And now I get to nod and assure everyone who's ever told me to read this book that YES, I HAVE FINALLY DONE SO, and enjoyed myself immensely 🙂
Lila Kims
I wasn't quite expecting to love this book as much as I did. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness was just what I needed, I guess. XD

Can we talk about Janner for a second?? He's such a golden-hearted little adventurer. <3 And he's SO RELATABLE. As an older sister, I could totally relate to the responsibility he felt to take care of his younger siblings. I could see myself reflected in his protectiveness of them, in his hissed protests when Tink did something very, uh, brave. I related to him
Jesseca Wheaton
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable fantasy book. Looking forward to reading the rest in the series. :)
R.F. Gammon
This feels like heresy...but 3.5 stars.
BookNightOwl
On the Edge of Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson was a lot of fun to read. I loved the descriptions of the made up characters and I could picture them perfectly in my head. This book is geared towards children but just as great for adults. I enjoyed the array cast of characters especially Peet.

I want to thank Netgalley for providing the ARC of this book for an honest review. I can't wait to get my own completed copy with illustrations and maps of all.
Montzalee Wittmann
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. First, I love the cover! Wow, when I saw that I just had to read this!
The book didn't let me down either. I tried to think of what the book reminded me of but it really is in a class by itself. It had a bit of Terry Pratchett, Lord of the Rings, touch of Narnia, and just a bare sprinkle of the Wizard of Oz.
I thought it was going to be just a kid's book but boy was I wron
E.F.B.
Aaaaaah so good! I thought I wouldn't get to read this book until maybe next year, but I found out here that Andrew Peterson started reading it live on his various socials, so I listened along. The story was equal parts charm, humor, and drama and I enjoyed each part, each twist and turn. I'm so glad he's going to read the second book starting tomorrow (Monday, April 13, 2020). Here's the link to YouTube channel if you want to follow along! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu1R...

I will definite
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Book 1 of the Wingfeather Saga. A great adventure for the young ones.
Let me try to describe this book, Lord of The Rings meets The Princess Bride. It is action packed, fancy adventure. You will love the illustrations and you will love the quirky characters this fantasy world is going to get the young ones reading and loving it.
This is a 4 star book that you need to run and pick up.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views
Yogaa Lakshmi
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
This is a really great novel. The story is about the adventures of three Igiby siblings- Janner, Tink and Leeli in a war-strewn world. I love the world-building of this book. The book was adventurous, fun, interesting and unique. The writing style reminded me of JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis. In fact I like the writing style in this book more than the writing styles of both of them (I am not a fan of JRR Tolkien or CS Lewis). Overall, this is a really great book which has the capability to be loved by b ...more
Sophie
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a captivating story!!!! I love it!!! All the plot twists....like the last several chapters....what the heck!?!?!?!?I laughed almost cried and had some jaw dropping moments while reading this book! I think those are all great things to have in a book! I can’t wait to keep reading to find out what happens next!!!
Redheadkate
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was the subtitle that got me On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness: Adventure. Peril. Lost Jewels. And the Fearsome Toothy Cows of Skree. While you might be scratching your head in confusion, I’m going, “yeah, tell me about those toothy cows”.

I listened to the audio version of the book. Oh, it was everything the title promised and more. I love Peterson’s impish humor, yet there is depth to the book. I longed to be in my car just to listen to the story. It made me want to drive to the end o
Hannah Walsh
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I was so surprised by this book! When I first picked it up, I wouldn't have guessed I'd be ending up giving it a five-star rating. This book is a real jewel.

Reasons Why This Book is Great:

1. It's a high fantasy set in an incredibly unique, quirky world.

2. It's full of fun, likable characters. They have crazy names, too, which is a bonus.

3. It's funny.

4. It's scary.

5. It's well-written and full of twists (some of which I predicted, but there were some that took me by surprise)

6. It's by a Chri
Lia Marcoux
Jan 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
I will not be finishing this book. However, I will also not be criticizing it, since my main takeaway was a feeling of deep, hopeless yearning to be Terry Pratchett, and I won't make fun of someone's dreams.
Caroline Lancaster
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book in so many ways. I forget that, sometimes. But it's beautiful nonetheless. The characters. The story. Anniera itself. All of it is beautiful. And coming back to it with the new edition (and new illustrations!) is an absolute joy.

I've read this book quite a few times since I discovered the original version in 2012. Every time, I realize something new. This time, it's how beautifully broken many of the characters are, especially the adult characters — and not just Peet. N
Esther
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was really happy when Netgalley granted me a copy of this book. It looked awesome and I saw that it's a book that is published for the second time this year. The original book is from 2008. I also noticed right away that it was pretty popular on Goodreads with 8000+ ratings. I had a great time reading this book and I'd recommend anyone who likes Fantasy/Adventure books to pick this up.

A longer review
Savannah Grace
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nothing like returning to a favorite middle-grade series when everything else feels a little out-of-control. I love this book. (now on to the next!)
H.L. Burke
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this because my daughter insisted. For me it would probably be a 4 star, but Coryn (12) loves it so much that it gets an extra star for getting her to read so much.
Loren
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it
From ISawLightningFall.blogspot.com

I always feel a bit apprehensive when a musician decides to try his (or her) hand at writing. It’s one thing to pen short snippets of lyrical verse. It’s another to hold a reader’s attention over several hundred pages. Fortunately, singer/songwriter Andrew Peterson’s On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness more than entertains, despite a few literary failings.

The Igiby family lives on the outskirts of the sleepy hamlet of Glipwood on the continent of Skree in t
JD Sutter
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this a little difficult to get into at the beginning. The first handful of chapters move excruciatingly slow, but things do pick up around the quarter mark or so. The story world and its creatures are a little difficult to envision, but I soon decided to just overlook that and try to get into the characters.

The main characters of Janner, Tink, and Leeli are wonderful. I really did like them after the story finally got going and began to pique my interest. The other characters in the town
Jocelyn Green
My kids, ages 11 and 13, loved this book we read aloud together. The footnotes and appendices are pretty funny--but also make it easier to read from a paperback, rather than using the audio version which we tried at first. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
ryan elizabeth
4/5

Very good, but I know the books in the series afterwards are immensely better.
Samson
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A emotionally complex tale, with heart-wrenching moments and a wacky humor.
Madison
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 for a few unnecessary jokes/comments, but besides that... this was the BEST!!!
Drink & Discuss: September 2016: The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness 7 6 Oct 05, 2016 10:46AM

• Ember's End (The Green Ember, #4)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • The First Fowler (Green Ember Archer #2)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • The Last Archer (Green Ember Archer #1)
  • The Wreck & Rise of Whitson Mariner (Tales of Old Natalia, #2)
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)
  • The Fiddler's Gun (Fin's Revolution, #1)
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Henry and the Chalk Dragon
  • The Door on Half-Bald Hill
  • The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)
Hey, folks. If you're just discovering me or any of my work, it can be a little confusing because there are several facets to it. Here’s the rundown:

• I write songs. I also record them to these cool things called CDs and put on concerts around the country. (And beyond! To my great delight, I get to play in Europe every year or so.)

• I write books. I’ve written a four-part fantasy series for young

The Wingfeather Saga (4 books)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)

News & Interviews

“Blood was shed that you three might breathe the good air of life, and if that means you have to miss out on a Zibzy game, then so be it. Part of being a man is putting others' needs before your own.” 33 likes
“There's just something about the way he sings. It makes me think of when it snows outside, and the fire is warm, and Podo is telling us a story while you're cooking, and there's no place I'd rather be--but for some reason I still feel... homesick.” 24 likes