Start by marking “A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)

A Kiss For Midwinter

(Brothers Sinister #1.5)

Miss Lydia Charingford is always cheerful, and never more so than at Christmas time. But no matter how hard she smiles, she can't forget the youthful mistake that could have ruined her reputation. Even though the worst of her indiscretion was kept secret, one other person knows the truth of those dark days: the sarcastic Doctor Jonas Grantham. She wants nothing to do with ...more
Published December 18th 2012 by Smashwords Edition (first published December 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss For Midwinter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kiss For Midwinter

Jill
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it

Lydia Charingford first met Dr Jonas Grantham when she was fifteen and he was a twenty-one year-old preparing to undertake medical studies at King's College. She was a patient. He was as yet untrained, the physician allowing him to observe quietly in the background, as he tended his patients. After graduating Jonas has an agreement with the physician to take over his medical practice when he retires.

Five years later returning to Leicester to take up his practice, Jonas is in need of a w
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Dr Grantham
Dr. Jonas Grantham
A Kiss for Midwinter is Miss Lydia Charingford's story, a sometimes sweet, sometimes heartbreaking novella from the Brothers Sinister series.
Ally
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These two. Their fathers. I. Just. Can't.

oh my

Like I do not even have words to express how amazingly beautiful this story is. I once mentioned that I thought I was dead inside or that I had no soul. Why you ask (or not)? Because I read Archer's Voice and didn't cry, didn't waver, didn't bat an eye. One hitch. That was it. A little itty bitty breath of Oh My and nothing. Dead. No woman no cry.

no woman no cry

But perhaps it's not that my soul is dead. It's just confused. The tenderness in this book, the angst of cari
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

Another awesome audiobook by Courtney Milan, narrated by the wildly talented Rosalyn Landor. This series is like my crack and I have no intention of quitting any time soon!

For all of those who doubt that they could like historical romance, I implore you to try this series. It is a smart, funny, interesting romance in a really well conceived historical setting.

I loved that the main character was a doctor in this one. I have a weakness for books with factual medical content, and I have
Jilly
Usually I love a character who is described as having a sarcastic, dark sense of humor, but Jonas didn't really do it for me. I just didn't see the humor. He seemed pretty serious to me. And, persnickety. I'm not a fan of persnickety men. If they are going to take the time to hang up my gown and smooth out the wrinkles while they are undressing me for sex, I'm going to re-think the whole sex idea in that time.

He seems like a barrel of laughs. :/

Jonas' main reason for wanting to get married is to
Mely
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Expanded review at http://coffeeandink.dreamwidth.org/11...

I seem to be at odds with the general internet take on Milan's recent work, because I was disappointed by this romance between a doctor and an allegedly cheerful woman whom the doctor knows to have had a teen pregnancy years before. Lydia Charingford distrusts all of Jonas Grantham's declarations of affection because he's brusque and sarcastic and she believes he's just trying to get into her pants. There are some genuinely moving bits,
♡Karlyn P♡
4.5 stars. Oh, this was such a sweet, heart-tugging, holiday historical romance. In a genre thick with Dukes and Earls and wealthy business men, I loved how this hero was just a 'mere' Doctor. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments too, including his father who was a 'hoarder' living neck deep in scrap metal and other desirable items he couldn't bear to part with.

Doctor Jonas Grantham was a practical no-nonsense man, and you might even say he was a bit anal-retentive in terms of his personal
Juliana Philippa
He wanted her to lift her head at this moment. He wanted her to look him in the eyes and realize that he loved her. He wanted her to love him back.
Wow. Just ... wow. Loved it!!! It's rare to be able to pull out a great story with well-drawn characters in a novella, but Ms. Milan managed to do that beautifully.

HERO: Jonas (26)
Fantastic hero - very unusual, don't think I've ever read a hero like him. There's nothing cookie cutter here - no rake/rogue, no stuffy aristocrat, none of the usual figu
D.G.
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This novella gets 5 stars because of the very original hero and the amazing fathers of both main characters.

In romance, bad parents are a dime a dozen so I was soo glad to see two fathers that were so devoted to their children. I cried both when I learned about the Christmas gift Jonas' father gave him as well as what Jonas said to solve the conflict with his father.

Jonas was very sui generis to say the least with his jokes about gonorrhea and his penchant for calling a spade a spade. Even I was
Joanna Loves Reading
4.5 Stars, one of my favorite novellas out there.

On second thought, I bumped this up to a 5. This was a reread and I remembered it fairly clearly, even though it had been many years. Still loved it this time so that makes it worthy of 5 stars in my book.
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
**5/5 Captivating Stars**

As with all Courtney Milan’s books, I loved this delightful novella!

Doctor Jonas Grantham knows his faults. He is outspoken with a dreadful sense of humour and a propensity to always look on the gloomy side of life. This is, however, what makes him such a good doctor…where others might see a touch of indigestion, he would consider poisoning and heart attacks. It is time he took a wife and only one woman will do…Lydia Charingford, but there is a rather big obstacle to ove
Ingie
Written August 19, 2914

4 Stars - Delightful refreshing reading!!!
...as grandma would have said

Book #1.5

I really liked the prequel novella and the first novel in this Brother Sinister series by Courtney Milan.

#0.5 - The Governess Affair (4.5 stars)
London 1835, Serena (Barton) & Hugo Marshall (the wolf...)
#1 - The Duchess War (4.5 stars)
Leicester 1863, Minnie (Wilhelmina Pursling / Minerva Lane) & Robert Alan Graydon Blaisdell, the ninth Duke of Clermont

This is a shortie before book
Lexxi Kitty
Another one I forgot to review. So just a few thoughts.

I loathe the doctor character. LOATHE. For many reasons. One of which is the part wherein a woman lost her baby because he didn’t open his mouth – there were reasons why he didn’t do so right then and there (when she was being examined) but he suspected that what the doctor he was shadowing was telling her to do would cause her and/or her baby to die, and later asked another doctor – a teaching doctor – and learned his instincts were correct
Kathleen
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, because it's GOOD, and it's hard to write a shorter story well. Milan pulled it off neatly. This is the third book in The Brothers Sinister series, and just brimming with STORY. Loved it!! And it's sexy, too, with one scalding love scene -- Lydia and Jonas know what they want and neither are shy about going for it.
He let out a shaky breath and looked over at her. Her eyes were dark, dark. She reached up and pulled two pins from her hair, and her curls tumbled over her shoulders. Ever
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
My rating is probably closer to 4.5 stars. I really liked this one and it left me with a big old happy grin in the end. At the start of the story, we see Lydia at her low point which Jonas witnessed. Jonas was socially inept which I think added to his charm. Lydia couldn't see past the things that he knew about her. They make a silly bet but Jonas really just wants to spend more time with Lydia to try to win her over. The first time they see each other after that bet was over really got to me. M ...more
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was just what the doctor ordered. Feel like I've been in the desert for days and finally found water.

Wonderful, wonderful, marvellous. And a good way to ease into the Christmas run up ["It gets earlier and earlier every year." she observed in her thin, Court-worn voice.]

Milan's ability to deal with big, important, awful events in a manner which does not minimise or skirt them, but also keeps the story light and warm is such, such a skill. This one has a humdinger at the centre.

**** Spoile
Zumbagirl
I loved this so much and am at a total loss for what to write to convey how excellent this story was - to simply say READ IT does not suffice. Even though this was a novella, it didn't feel short - it just felt perfect. I said that about Ms. Milan's last novella The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5) by Courtney Milan that I read and probably thought, at that time, there is no way she can write a better novella and pack more into it. Well, I was wrong.

Sometimes a mistake we make in our youth can carry into adulthood and leave little or no hope for
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Courtney Milan writes wonderfully. Her characters are three-dimensional and nuanced, more like real people than characters. I always feel like I want the romance to happen just as much as they do or in some circumstances more. My heart was with Grantham as he wooed Lydia, and I felt deeply for Lydia. Her terrible experience five years earlier would sour anyone on romance, and I could see why her barriers were erected so strongly. I liked that Milan did give them an opportunity to get to know eac ...more
*The Angry Reader*
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historicals, 2018
1. It had a Christmas vibe. And I am currently feeling the holiday cheer. (I wore my Boston terrier Christmas PJs all day today)

2. Jonas was absolutely the best hero ever. His bluntness. His brilliance. His romantic nature. His humor. Honestly he had me at the 11th most attractive woman, and it only got worse from there. I am just completely in love with him.

3. Feminism. Healing. Love. Respect. Growth.

This has to be one of the best books I’ve read in a while.
Nefise
I loved it! It's so touching and sensual read for me. I loved hero and his attitude towards world and around him.
Author's the main focus was "truth" and while hero cherishes it and thinks it's a gift for humankind, heroine sees it like curse. Author told us how our point of view affects our value judgment. I like to read it with the stories of our protagonist.

I think, I can comprehend why readers love this author so much. I'll read more of her books in near future.
Mei
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This series is soooo delightful!!! I'm loving it!

In this book the heroine is Lydia, Minnie's friend. As we already know from the preivious one, she' harbouring a secret, in which Minnie was involved too.

The hero, Jonas, is a doctor and he's connected with the secret too, even if he's not aware.

Lydia knows who he is and confronts him in a hard way when he approach her.

Thus begins their story: with suspicion on her part and bewilderment on his.

I loved Lydia and her courage and her fragility. She'
Penny Watson
Nov 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
This has my most hated "hero" in 2013. I found him completely, utterly despicable.

I haven't been able to write a review yet because every time I attempt it my blood pressure goes up.

Standing by while a sham doctor prescribes poison for a young, pregnant girl, knowing it will likely kill her and her unborn baby, because he wants to inherit the doctor's practice? Are you kidding me? And then choosing a list of wifey-candidates (which he wants so he can have lots of sex and not worry about contract
Beanbag Love
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good 4.5 read. I was slightly disappointed by The Duchess War so I went into this book with a little bit of trepidation. To be honest, the main reason is because my expectations of this author are so high. She's absolutely my favorite discovery of the last year.

This story had a sweet tale, a nice, but damaged couple and a very happy ending. I came near tears several times and laughed out loud at others. I found both characters to be genuine and decent people and that made it that much easier
Keri
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
*sigh*...I don't know how these fabulous authors continue to keep fresh ideas going, but I hope they keep doing it for years to come. A lovely Christmas novella about two hurting people finding true love. I will review tomorrow. Wonderful sweet read.
Caz
A Kiss for Midwinter is an offshoot of Ms. Milan’s current Brothers Sinister series, a companion novella that takes place after the events of The Duchess War and which tells the story of Minnie’s best friend, Miss Lydia Charingford. We learned in the earlier novel that Lydia’s past contains a scandal which could ruin her if it became known, and in this story, we learn what actually happened.

Now twenty-one, Miss Charingford is vivacious and well-liked. She is always cheerful and the sort of perso
OLT
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I only said I would stop talking to you. I never promised to stop loving you."

Lydia Charingford was only 15 when she was seduced by an older, married man, became pregnant and later miscarried. Since then, she has suppressed that time of her life and is living in a denial bubble of cheerfulness and optimism. Dr. Jonas Grantham is a blunt tell-it-like-it-is kind of guy, who, as an aspiring medical student, accompanied the doctor who attended 15-year-old pregnant Lydia long ago and is privy to her
Letitia
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rating: A- ... Heat: Sweet

They say time heals all wounds… Time and doctors. Thankfully for Lydia Charingford, she happens to have both. And Dr. Jonas Grantham is going to help her move on even if she really doesn’t want to.

Lydia Charingford has been hurt, woefully wronged, in her not too distant past. And when I say woefully… I mean grievously and painfully wronged. But, for the last few years, she has buried her hurt and pain. Tucked it away and let it fester. All the while managing to see the

Lisa
Dr. Jonas Grantham decided that he is ready to marry and makes a mental list of all the beautiful ladies in town and Miss Lydia Charingford wavers between number ten and eleven. He remembers Lydia from his training days as a young man and knows her secret that she guards closely and has no real interest in pursuing her...until she speaks to him and then everything changes for him. Jonas finds himself trying to talk to her and falling in love with her for over a year but each time they speak toge ...more
Cee (The Mistress Case)
It started with a wager . . . or was it a confession?

"The one thing we have never been to one another is polite. But never mind, Miss Charingford, I shall fill in the bad and the good. Either I am an unspeakably rude fellow, the kind who vents his ire and spleen on perfectly innocent young ladies, or…” His gaze slid to her profile. She was still looking across the room, refusing to meet his eyes. “Or,” he said softly, “I am madly in love with you. And I have been for this last year.”

“Well,” she
Jess the Romanceaholic
I feel almost disloyal with the relatively low rating on this one, since I consider myself a huge fan of Courtney Milan's work. This novella, however, just didn't do it for me.

I loved the OCD tendencies of the hero, and the issues you don't often run across in romance -- hoarding, miscarriage, etc.

Maybe it was the overly frank conversations the hero and heroine have. Maybe it was the fairly UNromantic wooing. I'm not sure to be honest.

All I know is it didn't have the same "spark" so many of he
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 19, 2015 06:25PM
  • A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston Book 1)
  • Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #2)
  • A Mackenzie Family Christmas: The Perfect Gift (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4.5)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • Your Wicked Heart (Rules for the Reckless, #0.5)
  • Deck the Halls With Love (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2.5)
  • The Heart of Christmas (Carhart #0.5; Tallants #3.5)
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
Courtney Milan’s books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist. She is a New York Times and a USA Today Bestseller and a RITA® winner.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, an exceptionally perfect dog, and an attack cat.

Before she started writing historical romance, Courtney got a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry from UC Berkeley. After th

Brothers Sinister (4 books)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
  • The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
“I only said I would stop talking to you, he'd written. I never promised to stop loving you.” 14 likes
“He knew he tended toward gloom. It made him consider blood poisoning and heart attacks when someone else might see a touch of indigestion. Those carefully considered worst-case scenarios made him a good doctor, but they also made him feel like a dark little raincloud.

When Lydia Charingford was around, though, he felt like a smiling dark little raincloud.”
14 likes