Start by marking “Ice Cream Soup” as Want to Read:

Ice Cream Soup

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
[Penguin Young Readers Level 1]

Published May 16th 2013 by Penguin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ice Cream Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Cream Soup

Audrey
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
it's funny! it's messy and H enjoyed when he added the different toppings especially the gummy bears. it's great for starting to learn to read, prompting kids to talk about what he's adding next. we also enjoyed the two little kitten companions
Bhargavi Balachandran
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an adorable story! My five year old loved it. It had a few difficult words, and is longer than most books she reads independently, but she pulled through with a bit of prompting. Perfect for slightly more confident almost-level 2 readers. Great way for them to learn spellings of colours and numbers upto five too.
Marian
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute beginning reading book. The text is simple, but the story and illustrations are very engaging. Any child would relate to the desire to make a gigantic ice cream cake, but would realize that this character has overdone it. Love it!
Donna Mork
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wants to make an ice cream cake, instead makes soup.
Emily
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
it was very funny.
Ashley Adkins
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I know this is a level reader book but the story did not seem very strong in relation to character development and story development.
Hillary Anson
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Summary: This little boy is about to make the world's first Ice Cream Sundae Mountain, and he has all the ingredients to do so. One thing after another, the ice cream pile gets bigger and bigger. Then, something horrible happens and the boy has to find a way to fix this ice cream mess! What does the little boy end up doing with all that ice cream?

Activity: Great problem solving book that teaches kids to roll with the punches and embrace any snags in their plans. Have a class wide discussion abou
Angie
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "What happens when you try to make an ice cream cake, but add too much stuff? You end up with ice cream soup! This original Level 1 reader with rhyming text is perfect for beginning readers."

My Rating: This is a fun and silly book for those beginning readers. It is a great level one book with large print, simple words and sentences and a story to keep attention. Many of the words are sight words that early readers will be able to pick up on. The story is also so silly, about making an
Diana Thomsen
This was part of my ice cream storytime. The kids did a great job of chiming in with the "pat and pat" portion and also enjoyed calling out which ingredient he would add next. But the end just wasn't quite right and didn't sound resolved enough. Even my kids noticed, since they all just sorta sat there waiting for more. *shrugs* Still, I'd use it again, since there isn't a whole lot out there about ice cream.
Penny Pendleton
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
While the illustrations are magical, I think it would send the wrong message to children that its alright to use tons and tons of sugar and candy, with no consequences. It wasn't until I was 17 that I learned that having a bowl of ice cream doesn't mean that you have to jam pack as much as possible into the container. I think this book has the potential to hinder, not improve. To entertain, but not to teach.
David
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cadl, kids
Ice Cream Soup is our third favorite Penguin Young Readers, Level 1 book.
It's a bit harder than the others, so our 5-year-old granddaughter couldn't always read it alone, but she liked the story better than some of the others.

(Penguin Young Readers, Level 1D.)
Heather Jo
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Annabelle
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I loved this book!❤ Because I love to cook!
Aaliyah
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Aaliyah really enjoyed this book. The first thing she said was, "That's not soup, that's ice cream." LOL! This child is NOT easily misled/tricked! LOL!
Addison James
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best bonk in.the whole wide world!
Andrea Labonte