Start by marking “Clearly Now, the Rain: A Memoir of Love and Other Trips” as Want to Read:
Clearly Now, the Rain: A Memoir of Love and Other Trips

Clearly Now, the Rain: A Memoir of Love and Other Trips

A memoir about loving someone you cannot save

Serala drank frat boys under the table. She wore saris and ate delicately from plates of curry at family events; elsewhere she wore a lip ring, designer shades, and a cowboy hat and ordered bloody steaks. She wrote volumes of poetry, made amateur films, singlehandedly ran a chapter of Food Not Bombs, and ended up as a fierce adv
Published May 1st 2013 by ECW Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Clearly Now, the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clearly Now, the Rain

Start your review of Clearly Now, the Rain: A Memoir of Love and Other Trips
Estevan
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story. You know the ending all along but somehow when it comes it hits you right in the gut all the same. With lyrical prose, Eli Hastings takes you on a heart wrenching journey that leaves you exhausted and makes you want to curl up into a ball and think about your life. An utterly stunning read. This book will stick with you for days. Buy it. Read it. Share it. The beauty is absolutely worth the pain. I can't recommend it enough.
Shaun Mcmichael
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read it in one day. Eli’s portrait of Serala—Eli’s friend and lover—compels a reader on. Along with Eli, I was entranced by Serala’s sincerity and harshness, allured by her beauty, sympathetic to her tragedy, and, perhaps most of all, angered by her thanatos.
Serala takes her place next to another crooked hero of our city (Seattle)—Cobain. And not just because both died like ciphers in the wet streets, but because both, I believe (perhaps wrongly) share a core flaw—a discontentment with life i
Heidi
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eli Hastings' book tells the story of two best friends whose relationship is anything but ordinary. It is also a story of deep friendships and brotherhood through all of life's turbulence and pain. It will have you laughing out loud and sobbing from one page to the next. Eli's gift for language is astounding. Every paragraph is a work of art. The book is full of torment, anger, and misfortune...and glows bright with a Love like no other. It is brutally honest, raw, and so very courageous. For an ...more
Kara Weiss
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Memoirs are compelling stories -- that's why they get written. However, the writing of the story almost always falls flat, and for me, ruins the book. Glass Castle is a great example of a story that I wish had been told with a little more finesse. Hastings, however, tells his story with equal parts passion, patience -- he shows himself to be a totally fresh and accomplished wordsmith -- truly incomparable to any other author I can think of.
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eli Hastings allows the reader to ride shotgun as he careens through life after high school. His journey takes place alongside Serala, an enigmatic, tortured spirit who vacillates between intuitive compassion, wild spontaneity, and wretched despair. Hastings reveals the beauty in her vulnerable and unbridled soul, as their friendship demonstrates the depth and danger of loyalty. The book becomes an addiction, luring readers to keep on until the pages and emotions are exhausted.
Stephanie Andersen
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was deeply affected by reading this book. Through its lens, I encountered love, friendship, loss, and pain in ways I never have before. I fell in love with the characters and followed them along on their many journeys as if their losses and lessons were somehow part mine. This is a love story like no other I have read. It will shake you up, make you angry, sad, desperate, lost, and hopeful all at the same time. And after you put it down, it will stay with you.
Verkiezen
Mar 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
I gave up on this book. I just couldn't handle his perception of the girl in it. I feel guilty about it because it was a first reads from Goodreads. But my honest opinion is that this book wasn't for me. I don't like drugs. I don't like manic pixie dream girls (if you want to refer to them that way). Nothing about this book appealed to me once I started reading it.
Abigail
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful, albeit sad memoir about the power of friendship and the role of love in the midst of addiction. The writing is beautifully poetic and lyrical and the emotional insights are well formed, if a little repititious at times. The story would be beneficial to anyone who is supporting a loved one who is in the throes of addiction.
Toby Lawless
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An honest look at love and pain; this book is at once an exploration of a most profound and complicated relationship and coming of age in modern America. A page turner from the very start, we are with Eli the entire way, never wanting the adventure to end.
Sierra James
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book will take you on a profoundly moving trip through heart wrenching territory.
Eli Hastings' originality and lyrical prose will capture your soul.
Felica Chapman
Jun 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
I won this book through first reads and oh my let me tell you gave up at chapter four not to be rude but what a mess no storyline that I could grasp what so ever... fail
Marty
Oct 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Too dark for me. Not enough insight or interest to be worth the reading
Rachel
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a gripping read. I didn't like having to stop reading. You can tell the author later became a counselor; the depth of reflection is evident throughout.
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and tragic story of someone struggling with addiction and those that are pained by watching that person struggle. Highly recommend!
Faydra Stratton
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Author, Eli Hastings, merges from teenagedom, into a world all too similar - a college life with the same insular relational drama clouded by drugs and booze, but then he meets Serala, a girl with a new intensity, a darker force he cannot resist, a girl who's presence forces him to redefine relationships and, of course, love.

It's a staggering reality for me, a girl who's parallel life (also a high school c/o '96 grad) took place in bright and perky south Florida, immersed in Baptist youth group
Laura Gardner
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
ugh, depressing
K
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, memoir
Between three - four. Hard to rate because the first half feels very melodramatic and all the quasi - philosophical emoting of twenty year olds becomes a bit tired to me.

Second half does pick up as they grow older, but something about this doesn't quite work for me. It's so sad but the purpose/coda was a bit unclear to me, without wishing to sound insensitive.
Star
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eli channels a millenium Jack Kerouac vibe while telling his tale of love, addiction and best friendship with the kick ass and ultimately doomed Serala. I knew how it was going to end and yet still felt committed to read through to the end in one dreary fog fused Seattle saturday. A fitting memorial of sorts.
Rachel
Mar 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm really glad that I won this book in a contest and didn't actually pay for it. Just too dark and depressing for me to ever wan to read it again. All drugs and swearing. *I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway*
Peter Biello
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Eli Hastings writes like a prizefighter and knocked me out with this one. A great love story about a romance built on friendship and complicated by drugs. I read it on a long flight and finished while the plane landed. A beautiful book. Buy it. Read it. Share it.
Kitty
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, that was depressing. I wanted more exploration into why the main subject was so broken.
Kim
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Heartbreaking book of addiction in many forms, some rooted in pain and some in mental illness, but all thought-provoking.
Elizabeth C
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Drugs drugs and more drugs. Too much.
HANNAH.WUN
Jan 15, 2014
Raoul Fernandes
Mar 24, 2015
Brit
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2015
Janie Anderson
Dec 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Me
  • Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster
  • Scar Tissue
  • His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost: A Memoir of Three Continents, Two Friends, and One Unexpected Adventure
  • Holidays on Ice
  • Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
  • AWOL on the Appalachian Trail
  • How We Do Harm: A Doctor Breaks Ranks About Being Sick in America
  • The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter—And How to Make the Most of Them Now
  • Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)
  • Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations, #1)
  • The Adventurer's Son
  • The Two Mrs. Grenvilles
  • Solitary
I’m an author living in Seattle with my brilliant, dancing doctor wife, Lili, and nutcase toddler, Pax. I’m passionate about using writing to help at-risk youth, so I’m a team leader at PONGO TEEN WRITING. Through both my books, but especially my recent memoir, you’ll see how the sorrows of mental disorder and addiction have affected my life. Because of this I’m finishing an MA in Marriage and Fam ...more