Start by marking “Grim” as Want to Read:
Grim

Grim

Inspired by classic fairy tales, but with a dark and sinister twist, Grim contains short stories from some of the best voices in young adult literature today:

Ellen Hopkins
Christine Johnson
Jeri Smith Ready
Shaun David Hutchinson
Saundra Mitc
Published February 25th 2014 by Harlequin Teen (first published January 1st 2014)

YA Novels of 2014
1,544 books — 9,148 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
2,437 books — 15,702 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
The links to the failytales are posted with this review at Addicted2Heroines

Anthologies are hard to rate, so this 4 star rating is for the book as a whole, and not the individual stories.
I had fun with this one, because I was determined to find out what fairytales all of these stories were retelling.
Let me say, it wasn't all that easy. I'm not sure I'm even right with quite a few of them, but after spending hours searching the web for clues, I think I've figured most of them out. However, if you
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
3.5 average

Grim is a collection of 17 short stories based off fairy tales collected by Wilhelm and Jacob Grimm. Some of the tales are better known such as Beauty and the Beast and The Snow Queen, and some are lesser known, such as The Shroud and The Robber Bridegroom.

Overall Grimm was quite a good book and served to introduce me to a range of new authors, some of whom I have become instant fans. Grimm is good as a taster of sorts, to try out authors without committing to a full-length novel. I’m
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
This collection of short stories is narrated by Christine Johnson and I enjoyed her narration. Some stories are good and promising, some are just horrible.

The Key by Rachel Hawkins - The psychic story is a good start but it was cut too short and ended vaguely. [3.5/5 stars]

Figment by Jeri Smith- Ready - A sweet friendship between Eli and Fig. I really like it. [4/5 stars]

The Twelfth Girl by Malinda Lo - I fell asleep on some parts. So boring. [1/5 stars]

The Raven Princess by Jon Skovron - I
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
book cover

I love short stories. There's no better way to find new authors than to pick up a well-done anthology written by multiple authors.

I also love fairy tale retellings. More than I probably should. Robin McKinnley's books, the recently released and super fantastic Roses by G.R. Mannering, the short story collection Black Pearls by Louise Hawes...I love discovering retellings in all forms and fashions.

Grim, an anthology written by some of my favorite authors, was no exception. Not only did it includ
Giovanna
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read
2.9

Buddy read with Simo and Aurora :)
Reading one short story per day.

April 1, day one:
The key by Rachel Hawkins: 3 stars

A retelling of Bluebeard, The key was a quick enjoyable short story. However, it was also extremely short, I would have liked to see more when it came to the ending.

April 2, day two:
Figment by Jeri Smith Ready: 4 stars

I liked this short story so much, I think I'm going to check out some books by this author. Puss in boots was one of my favourite fairytales and this one was a g
Kira Simion
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
As some of you know, Julie Kagawa is one of my favorite authors (for now) so I'm reading this because of
1. Retellings. Love em'.
2. Julie.
3. The cover. 0-0 Anyone want to teach me how to design covers like that?

Edit:

I rated this anthology as a whole. I really like retellings and as a whole, this book was splendid! I had some trouble figuring out a lot of the fairy tales though. >.>

While some were shorter than others and better, I blame either the theme and or the length.

4/5 stars.
Larissa
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it

You can also find this review at YA Midnight Reads

Grim is an anthology written by some great YA authors. The short stories that make up it are all fairy tale retellings. I enjoyed all of them to a point, with the exception of one. Some of the stories were a little bit more enjoyable and memorable than others though. Therefore, I will give a quick review of each to showcase my feelings towards each story.

The Key By Rachel Hawkins, a retell of Bluebeard

I wasn’t sure of what to expect
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

This is definitely one interesting collection of tales and I have to say, I definitely enjoyed it on the whole. I’ve had my ups and downs while reading this, but generally, it was pleasurable reading most of these stories. Of course, there are quite a few for which I didn’t know the original tale on which the retelling was based, so I wouldn’t be able to compare and contrast the original with the retelling, but to me they were all unique in
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
I'm going with about a 2.5 stars. My actual rating was somewhere around 3 but to be honest, this really disappointed me. I just felt that so many of the stories didn't fit with the theme, and weren't the dark, whimsical, magical stories I thought I was going to get from this. Most of them were pretty simplistic, pretty cliché, and pretty unoriginal and not at all creative. I just felt that the authors could have done so much more with this premise that they were given. I like to read anthologi ...more
Liviania
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've repeatedly mentioned that I love fairytales and love seeing them retold. How could I resist the lure of an anthology gathering some of the hottest names in YA plus a bunch of my personal favorites? There were also a few authors I haven't read, which is an advantage of anthologies - a short and sweet introduction to a new voice.

Despite the title (GRIM), not all of the stories in the collection are based on Grimm's fairytales. Some are French tales, others are Hans Christian Anderson, some ar
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars The big standouts for me from this collection were three authors I'd never read before but will be seeking out immediately:

Sonia Gensler, Shaun Hutchinson, and Saundra Mitchell.

I liked the majority of the rest, though I was indifferent to a few as well. Quick reactions to some:

"The Key" by Rachel Hawkins
3.5 stars--nice, if short, updated take on Bluebeard

"Figment" by Jeri Smith -Ready
3 stars--cute "Puss in Boots" story

"The Twelfth Girl" by Malinda Lo
2 stars, DNF

"The Raven Princess" by
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I managed to read about half of the stories, but I just can't bring myself to finish it no matter how hard I try. I find anthologies SO HARD to read.
Here are the ratings for the stories I actually did read:
The Key – 4.5 stars
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Buddy read with Simo and Giovanna c;

Day 1 ~> The Key by Rachel Hawkins
4 stars out of 5
It was a very pretty read and I really enjoyed it but it was very short so you don't really have a ending and I would have liked to see how it really finish but it was good too.

Day 2 ~> Figment by Jeri Smith Ready
4 stars out of 5 stars
This was a really really good story and I really liked it.
It was a retelling of puss in boots and I don't really like the real story but this one was very good written
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Grim is, purportedly, an anthology of grim retellings of childhood fairytales, of course foregoing the fact for a moment that most of these stories have a grimmer, gorier, disturbing origin. However, to me, it was less grim- which has always implied, again to me, heartbroken mermaids howling eternally in the wind, a kingdom barren for centuries et cetra, et cetra, and Grim turned out to be oh-shit! screwed it up, we did! or oh man! what a creative twist on the original story. Not it lessened my ...more
Danielle
Read This Review & More Like It At Ageless Pages Reviews

Reviewing anthologies is never easy, but I love them. It’s a brief look at many different writers and how they interpret a pretty broad topic. Anyone who’s ever read my reviews probably knows, I can’t get enough of twisted fairy tales. And I can be pretty harsh, because I read a lot of them, which only makes reviewing this collection harder. While I liked several individual stories, I also felt that more were uninspired and lacked oomph
Stephanie
This was a good anthology. I liked most of the stories. Here is the full review where I rated each story individually http://booknerd777.blogspot.com/2017/...
Brie
I wasn't always a fan of short stories or short story anthologies. Within the past year that has quickly been remedied.

I loved Grim. Love, love, love, LOVED it. Not only was it a collection of some of my favorite YA authors, but they were retellings of fairy-tales - which I am all over like a crackhead on the pipe lately.

Fairy-tale reimaginings are my favorite new flavor of crack. It tastes like glitter, fabulous hair and danger. And I LIKE it.

There. I said it.

I loved reading the retellings of
Shaun Hutchinson
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I don't normally rate or review books I've written, but since I only wrote one story in this anthology, I feel justified.

Every single story in GRIM is a treasure. Some are more literal interpretations of their fairytale counterparts, some simply embody the spirit of the fairytale they're based on, but all are unique, well written, and wonderful. This is one for reading aloud on a dark winter's night.
Farrah
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dark, creepy, and absolutely brilliant! Grim was a fantastic read. Every story in this anthology was amazing. With retellings of classics, from Beauty and the Beast to The Three Little Pigs, this entire book was magnificent. Loved it!

There are quite a few stories in this anthology, so I'm not going to go into each one individually. But, I will say that each story was dark and unique. I truly enjoyed all of them. They were quite varied-in genre, in tone, in theme-and I really liked that variation
Saarah
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I can't believe I finished this. It wasn't terrible , but definitely not my favourite. It was nice to read some short stories for once though.
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Overall, I am not a huge fan of anthologies, but this contained so many memorable short stories it would take too long to write a review for every one. I was very impressed and definitely enjoyed myself reading it!

The Review:

The Key by Rachel Hawkins - 5 Stars

Lana has powers like her mother, powers to look inside a person’s mind. It comes in handy when her mom needs to evaluate what a customer came for, in their little fortune-telling truck.
Nadia King
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grim is an anthology of twisted retold fairy tales for the YA market. Like most anthologies, there were stories in there that completely knocked my socks off and there were some where I was like 'meh'. Overall though, this was an easy and entertaining read. My favourite was The Key by Rachel Hawkins. I had to shush my husband when I was reading that one! Definitely check out Grim.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
The Key (Bluebeard) by Rachel Hawkins - 3/5

I really liked this despite some qualms; it was clever and a nice modern twist on Bluebeard. I do wish it had been a bit longer because you don't really have a feel for the characters. (If you want a longer retelling, look at Sarah Cross's Killing Me Softly.)

Figment (Puss in Boots) by Jeri Smith-Ready -3.75/5

I'd never before read a Puss in Boots retelling, but this was good. Loved the fresh applications of the story and how Smith-Ready still carried the
Rebecca
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: out-in-2014

The Key by Rachel Hawkins - Bluebeard - 4 stars

I really enjoyed this one. I didn't know which fairy tale it was retelling until after I read it, so I wasn't expecting the story to take the direction it did. I wish the ending hadn't been quite as abrupt, I would have loved just a little bit more.

Figment by Jeri Smith-Ready - Puss in Boots - 3 stars

This one was kind of sweet. I don't think I've ever read something in the point of view of a stuffed animal before. Other than that, it was average.
Nasty Lady MJ
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
To see the full review click on one of the following links:

With Gifs

Just Text

Fairytale retellings are pretty popular right now, so it’s only natural that a anthology focusing on them would be published. Usually I’m not a huge fan of anthologies because I think immediately cash cow. But this particular collection of short stories surprised me.

The Key by Rachel Hawkins:

I give this one a C. While it does convey Bluebeard, this story really felt incomplete in a lot of ways. I just didn’t really feel
Deniz
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This took me only 10months to read... well, I read at first one story a week... wrote reviews for each.. then I kinda put it aside and never got back into it. Till one day - well today actually - I decided that this was ridiculous and I read the entire thing in one go.

So why did it take me this long?!

I love anthologies. I have a fondness for short stories. They like the little treat in-between, the unexpected surprise in the middle of a work day.
Still I found this difficult to get through.
I t
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

I’ve never read the original Grim fairy tales, but know they are dark, twisted and shocking stories which serve as cautionary tales. This Grim anthology is a refreshing YA twist to many of these stories, recognisable even if you haven’t read the source material, such as the Beauty and the Beast retellings, The Twelfth Princess, and Hansel and Gretel.

I loved the journey that the YA authors took us on throughout the book – stor
Natverse
Never underestimate a good short story. Some of these were disturbing and fantastic. I particularly enjoyed "Figment," "The Key," "The Raven Princess," "The Twelfth Girl," "Thinner than Water," and "Beast/Beast." Who am I kidding? I enjoyed all but a couple. Seriously, these are great retellings. And I'm super creeped out them too. :D
Cecilia
3.5 stars Lots of good short stories in this book.
Isa Lavinia

I admit it, I picked up this book because of Sarah Rees Brennan and, as always, she did not disappoint. But there were some other really great stories in this book, as well! And some that were very mediocre, indeed. It was a very unbalanced anthology. Still worth reading, because the good short stories are really good.

THE KEY by Rachel Hawkins (Bluebeard) - ★★★★
Lana's mother is a psychic, she does readings in their trailer. And Lana is feeling a bit ashamed of the way she and her mother live

• Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • After the Ball (Beau Rivage, #1.5)
  • Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
  • Defy the Dark
  • Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
  • Feather Bound
  • Witchfall (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Twisted Fairy Tales
  • Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)
  • A Wolf at the Door: And Other Retold Fairy Tales
  • The First Time
  • The Mirk and Midnight Hour
  • Bonded
  • Diverse Energies
  • The Glass Casket
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
There is more than one author with this name

I grew up in, moved away from, and finally came home to Indianapolis, Indiana. While I was in the “away” part of that adventure, I was living in Chicago, Illinois, where I went to DePaul University and met my husband. I majored in Political Science. For the record, Political Science is a totally useless degree. But it’s also totally fascinating and I lov
“No matter what choices we make in life, suffering is always a part of what follows.” 4 likes
“If good men pretend to be villains, how is anybody supposed to know the difference between them?” 2 likes