Start by marking “Spirit's Chosen” as Want to Read:
Spirit's Chosen

Spirit's Chosen (Spirit's Princess #2)

Himiko's world is falling apart. An attack by the Ookami clan has left many from her tribe dead or enslaved. And those who remain in the ransacked Matsu village are certain they've angered the gods. Amid the chaos and fear, Himiko hatches a plan to save her beloved tribe. Traveling through the treacherous wilderness with her best friend Kaya, their only goal is to free her ...more
Published April 23rd 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Spirit's Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit's Chosen

Whitley Birks
I don’t know how to even begin to express my distaste for this novel. There’s too much wrong with it. So many little details and annoyances, so many logic holes, so many obvious gaps in research. The fact that she thought looking Japanese counted as a setting and not a whiff of culture need be included. The fact that “chieftain” is an actual thing and cannot be traded willy-nilly with “king.” The brain-bashing questions of how that wolf clan conquered anyone. (Seriously, you don’t just fuck peop ...more
missART
I'm always a fan of East Asian inspired settings, but the smooth writing of this book is what made slipping into Himiko's world easy. I appreciated the accuracy of the portrayal of Japanese culture during this period of history and how natural it felt through Himiko's eyes. I would recommend this book to any fellow fan of strong-willed young women and Asian culture!
Intisar Khanani
DNF (but I'm close enough to the end to consider this done). My problem began in believing the blurb - it makes it sound as if the story doesn't start until Himiko is enslaved by the wolf clan. Well, that takes about page 200 to happen. And it's very slow going to 200, but I was holding out. I was excited for the love interest to make an appearance (yes, i admit, I can be a bit of a romantic), and I figured the plot would pick up. But the love interest was a complete disappointment--Himiko is se ...more
Mara
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? Despite the character impersonator, I don't mind the cover all that much. It's a side profile and of course, it's indicative of the book's setting.

Characters: I've said this before, and sadly it hasn't changed: Himiko is not nearly as likable and awesome as Nefertiri from Sphinx's Princess and Helen from Nobody's Princess. While Himiko doesn't come across as spoilt in Spirit's Chosen, like she did in Spirit's Princess, she still seemed much younger than her actual age. An
Rich in Color
Apr 28, 2013 Rich in Color rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After finishing the book a few nights ago, I’m still unsure as to what to think of it. There were parts of Friesner’s novel that I enjoyed and then there were parts where I just kept reading because I knew I had to write this review. One of the reasons why I think I’m blasé about the novel is because the novel I read before this one left a mark on my heart, had me mourning that the story was over. With Spirit’s Chosen, I put the book down and finished cooking dinner. No sadness, no missing of ch ...more
Amy
Apr 21, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Connie
Jun 14, 2013 Connie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
The book wasn't horrible, but by the end, I just wanted to put the book down and start something else.
Three key things bothered me as I read the book.

The whole Reikon/Daimu concept: When Reikon was thrown into the picture, I was surprised and wary. Himiko's affection for him came too suddenly, and how did she even gain the mental connection between them? Daimon and Himiko's relationship, on the other hand, was much more gradual and developed, which I liked. Daimu was too much of a "whatever you
Sylvia McIvers
Slow, slow opening. Coming home to find the clan has been enslaved - but there aren't any captors around. Life goes on as usual, except with a lot of dead young men and very little food. But we get through winter OK, no one actually dies of hunger.

Then Hikimo goes off on her quest to save Baby Brother. Not everyone else - she's just a young girl, she can't save everyone by herself - but Her own brother is special. Hikimo's best friend goes off with her, because Hikimo can't fight her way out of
Katie
May 17, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I... Loved... This! I think that I enjoyed this more than the first book. I loved the way Himiko went from being a Princess and running away from her father to be a shaman to becoming a slave and learning how not to lose herself and then to become so revered.

I love that she was able to find her "love" in the spirit world and in the living world. I also enjoyed the way the villain stayed the same that he didn't change through out the story and that the reader knows, who she is fighting against. I
Melian
May 29, 2015 Melian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa
May 08, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the first book, Spirit's Princess, this one just fell flat. For one thing, all the highlights from the first book were condensed into the text, it's a tact used in most cookie-cutter serial series...but gets annoying for experienced readers. Either we know what happened because we read the first book...or we don't need the details.
There was also an excess of suspension of belief required to follow the story line. Their life with the wolf clan is questionable. While there's the s
Ashley
Mar 29, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books in the Princesses of Myths series. I had only one issue with this book and that is that it just ends and then throws an epigloge in. The story itself was good but I think Himiko's story could have been split into three separate books in order to fit more story in.

I loved the characters and the story is well based. I don't know much about Japanese lore but this book has made me fall in love with it. Now I won't deny that I was expecting to learn more about the characters
Alyssa Schneyman
I enjoyed Spirit's Chosen much more than Spirit's Princess. I felt that the story just held my attention much more. In addition, it did not feel like any part of this story was unnecessary at all.

Though I have not read many books set in Asia, I quite enjoyed this book. The smooth flow and descriptive writing and details made it quite easy to slip into Himiko's world. I appreciate the effort and research that Friesner put into the accuracy of the portrayal of Japanese culture during this period
Christine Osborne
It caught me but it didn't keep me. Okay, so this was a good book, yes. When (spoiler) Daimu died I cried because the death of any deeply loved character makes me cry, I cried when (spoiler) I found out Aki died. The story was good, I liked the use of the historical setting in Japan though I have my doubts about how accurate it was. Himiko seemed a little too op for me. Yes, she went through her hardships and, yes she had training to call upon the spirits but the frequency of their coming and th ...more
Joelle Irons
Jun 16, 2014 Joelle Irons rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not the strong woman, anti-damsel in distress book that you might think it is. She's a young woman who falls in love with one of her captors; disturbingly typical in the romance genera. She is only able to accomplish anything through the good will of men who adore and faun over her. They speak of her beauty, not her brains. She is at times determined and at times clever. This only ever gets the story moving. It takes the men in her life to get anything done. She even marries only to ...more
Jami Lowe
May 14, 2013 Jami Lowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Adventure!

Could have done differently –
1. Too much retelling of information already read in the first book.
2. Sappy love scenes. Blak. I’m not a fan of romance. However, this is not a romance book; so, I only endured it in spurts. And there was one scene towards the end that I found endearing because it showed how much they trusted and supported each other.

Awesomeness –
1) Everything else!
2) Shows Himiko learning and growing within her trials
3) So much awesomeness that when the book ended,
Robbin
Feb 23, 2015 Robbin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aside from boring, it's all sorts of wrong. How is this in historical fiction? Even if it were fantasy or a made-up world, this book is so slow that I wanted to gauge my eyes out. Or just start a different book. You want Japanese elements in your fantasy? I get that. Read other books that are actually well-written and are either properly researched or are actually fantasy. If you know even a tiny bit of Japanese history and literature, this will make you want to flip tables, unless you fell asle ...more
Remy
Apr 05, 2016 Remy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book a lot. I was initially drawn to it by the cover and the fact that it is set on Japan, but I soon learned that there was more to this story. Himiko is a strong character with a gentle yet warrior-esque personality. She is compassionate to others but holds strong in her convictions, and can definitely be considered role-model material. Lady Badger is also a great character whom I would have liked to get to know better.
Rachelle
A historical fantasy novel about mercy, protecting the ones you love, making your own choices, and compassion. The world-building and character development are strong and realistic -- Himiko gives in to despair, lets kindness get in the way of honesty, and loses the man she loves. She is a Japanese heroine who leads with faith and a message of peace.
Jaq Tan
Kind of a slow story to begin with, leaving me feeling I have had enough of the childishness and all her trying to be what she wants to be. But the story picked up only to leave me disappointed. overall though it was good to read that I was not able to put down until I finished out of my curiosity for what had happened to her and the clan}
M
Apr 07, 2016 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a little longer to read. I'm not sure why it was kind of difficult to get through in the beginning. Maybe it was the writing style or how slow it was. I felt like I was waiting for something to happen, waiting for more. The only thing that kept me going was my determination to finish because I try not to leave books unfinished. Only towards the end did it get interesting.
This wasn't as good as what I remember the first book being. Himiko is back and still has to deal with warring families in feudal Japan. She is a shaman/princess and still struggling to find her way in life. I love reading historical fiction about Japan, so I found that part interesting, but her soul searching was too slow for me. I wanted a hundred fewer pages of this ARC.
Jess
Mar 06, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story, however I couldn't help a little bit of frustration at the end with Ryu's attitude of everything but overall I thought this sequel was as good as the first. Loved how strong Himiko's character is and how she is calm in the face of oppression. Great title.
Meenatchi
Oct 12, 2013 Meenatchi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells what life is in general. Love, hardship, and etc. take place in this one book. This book is full of twists. I was crying and was sometimes even afraid to turn the page. This is just plain awesome!!!
Karie
Oct 01, 2013 Karie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd forgotten that I'm not a huge fan of Friesner's style--it's too ponderous and predictable for me. But I did want to see how things turned out, so I skipped to the end and sure enough, I was right.
Maddie
Jul 30, 2013 Maddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I didn't really like the prequel to this book, I was a little wary of reading it, but I'm so glad I did. I literally almost cried at the end of this book, but everything works itself out in the end. Beautiful story.
Lizzy
May 08, 2013 Lizzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is a bit sad at the beginnign, but when you get to like page 409 to page 412 are SO CUTE and you cannot understand my joy until you read it for yourself!!! So go do it!! right now!!!

The ending is really good as well. Can't wait for Esther's next book!! Yay!
Elzbeth
Jul 07, 2014 Elzbeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Friesner's books are NOT historical fiction, I want to say this because that's the main reason her books get low ratings "they're not accurate historical fiction." No, but they are fiction, generally based on historical events and these books are a great magical read for any age.
Cecilia Rodriguez
The story is set in fudal Japan. Himiko's clan is attacked by the wolf clan and when she learns that they have taken her younger brother, she goes after to rescue him.

The story is moving and has well written characters.
Ayla
Sep 23, 2013 Ayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This shows the journey of a strong woman that is doing all she believes she should to do what's best for for her people. I really enjoyed it and even looked up to see how much of it actually took place, surprisingly little is know about our heroine so any of this is completely possible.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 23, 2015 05:58PM
Spirit's Chosen 1 3 Apr 07, 2013 02:43PM
  • Golden Girl (The American Fairy, #2)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Another Jekyll, Another Hyde (Another, #3)
  • Heart of Glass (Cross My Heart, #2)
  • The Untold Tale (The Accidental Turn, #1)
  • The Stone Goddess
  • Montezuma Strip (Angel Cardenas, #1)
  • Beautiful Decay
  • Yellowcake
  • Victoria Rebels
  • The Incense Game (Sano Ichiro, #16)
  • Pharaoh's Daughter: A Novel of Ancient Egypt
  • A Gathering of Wings (Centauriad, #2)
  • Warrior (The Dragon King Chronicles, #2)
  • Relic Master Part 2
  • Pegasus
  • A Matter of Profit
  • A Bone From a Dry Sea
Esther M. Friesner was educated at Vassar College, where she completed B.A's in both Spanish and Drama. She went to on to Yale University; within five years she was awarded an M.A. and Ph.D. in Spanish. She taught Spanish at Yale for a number of years before going on to become a full-time author of fantasy and science fiction. She has published twenty-seven novels so far; her most recent titles in ...more
More about Esther M. Friesner...

Spirit's Princess (2 books)
  • Spirit's Princess (Spirit's Princess, #1)