Start by marking “Warrior from the Shadowland (Elemental Phases, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warrior from the Shadowland (Elemental Phases, #1)

Warrior from the Shadowland

(Elemental Phases #1)

Elementals: Water, Earth, Fire and Air are only the beginning. Elementals support everything from Darkness to Time, secretly maintaining the processes of nature. Only now the Elementals are nearly extinct. Two years ago, the Air House released a plague that killed ninety percent of them. With their society in chaos and so many of their kind dead, they can’t find their Phas ...more
Published July 27th 2012 by Star Turtle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Warrior from the Shadowland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warrior from the Shadowland

Start your review of Warrior from the Shadowland (Elemental Phases, #1)
Sharon
Here are some of my thoughts:
• Cute. Can get cheesy at times, but it has a fun concept with the Elementals and interesting premise with the plague
• I felt really bad for Cross. The flashback scenes were so sad!
• I love Nia, Thar, and Ty. Great family theme.
• Uriel and Melanie’s scenes are the cutest! I really want to see a book/novella with them. Uriel is so funny with his straight-shoot talk.
• While I appreciate the multi-perspectives so I can enjoy learning more about Uriel and Ty, I do feel
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
3 stars for a Cassandra Gannon book is the equivalent of 4 stars everywhere else.

Now, this is a long book but a quick read. The romance is a bit too sweet and predictable - mainly, I read this book because I wanted to get the books in the series which focus on couples I'm actually interested in - but it's pretty decent.

And, of course, there are a few lines of Gannon's trademark humour, which always is worth at least an extra star rating.

[Blog] - [Bookstagram]

photo c l i m b C2A0e v e r y C2A0m o u n t a i n 2_zpsykn9gbgr.png
11.7.18- Calling it a day on this one. I'm not going back to this one. No rating as I didn't get very far.

Original bookmark: The writing style isn't really for me and I'm having a hard time connecting to the characters, the world, or the plot. I might return to this later. We'll see.
Mandy J
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have fallen in love with this authors books and writing style. this book reminds me of the characters from some f her previous books. Dont get me wrong now, they all share something in common, but are true and individual to their own books. I wish this book was a little bit longer and I go to read more about Cross, but it's the first book and it did not disappoint.
High 3 stars...i'ma give it 4 because I really liked this book now off to the next one in the series :D
DemetraP
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't feel much romance between Cross and Nia. They just kinda accept that they're together. Book 3 with Gion and Ty was so romantic. ...more
Duanur
Nov 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Very fun and cute. The plot is interesting but the execution was a bit weak. The characters are the main focus of the story and since I liked them I enjoyed this book. And Cassandra Gannon's dialogues are laugh out loud funny. Sometimes cheesy but definitely fun. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ...more
Dot & Needle
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this author’s style and the concept is interesting. Very readable and has good humour.
Jai
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just discovered this series this week, and I'm really enjoying it. The author has a clearly original idea, and she's built a great world from it. Her characters are well defined, the conflict is convoluted enough to entertain, and the romance is enjoyable.

While not being about vampires, this book reminded me of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. It had that well defined world building, that cheeky style of writing, the manly heroes, etc. I liked Gannon's heroine better, though.

I'm looking forward
Judy
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoy paranormal books but this was different and I wasn't sure if I would like it based on the description alone so I downloaded the sample and i'm glad I did because I absolutely loved this book. The story was fabulous. The characters and the world were well developed. The story flowed well and I was completely drawn in. The only thing that kept me from giving it the complete five stars was that there were typos, enough that if I hadn't been so totally enthralled with the story I would have ...more
Donna
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. It's got an interesting premise and cool characters. Basically, there are supernatural beings called elementals, who are caught up in a civil war that's nearly destroyed their world. Cross is the last one of his kind. He controls darkness and it's slowly killing him. Nia is his mate and he's desperate to be with her, only she's causing all kinds of trouble and drags him into it. Cross is a great hero. He's brooding and tragic, without becoming a jackass. I'd recommend it for ...more
Coyora Dokusho
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quite liked it! Less typos than the superhero books, less humor as well, but there were still lol moments and the drama was GREAT!!!
Beatriz Valle
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice surprise! funny and different; refresing!
Helen
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, chick-lit
Having really enjoyed another of this author's series, which ended with an extract from this novel that I also enjoyed, I thought I'd give it a go. I was not disappointed.

The world building takes a little to get your head around but not in a boring or challenging way, just because there's lots of information given at the start to help you figure out what's going on. This series follows a race called the Elementals, who are responsible for keeping the universe in balance and ensuring each facet
Cherise
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like the world building but this seems not as strong a series as her fairy tale series. While the idea seems interesting, there are just too many things crowding this book, which makes it hard for us to really know the main couple well.

This is more of an insta story where there isn't really much push or pull between the protagonists. Instead it is about their dealing with this whole dystopian world, if this can be defined as such, as the human counterworld actually is functioning normally whil
Ada
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I had few preconceived notions about the whole elemental thing, expected a fated mates insta development and then to have multi-POVs from some of these characters right in the introductory book was just not looking good at first but surprisingly everything worked out quite well.

The different POVs was not what I wanted when we kept going off focus from Nia and Cross but honestly this time it helped towards world building especially to show this effect of Fall that is driving the story. It also i
Samantha
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
I am really really unsure how to rate this book. I will give it an uneasy, unsure 3.5 stars to start with.

The world Gannon created is intriguing. I adore really unique world building. The idea of the different Elementals, the Fall, Matches & Phazing...very cool. Very INTERESTING. I've not come across anything quite like this in all my PNR reading. So that bumps it up high in my esteem.

I also like the characters. Nia is a force to be reckoned with. She doesn't hold back,is insanely loyal, and is
Caitlin Winter
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
I don't even want to give this a rating (and I'll most likely be giving that final star later when I read the rest of the series) because I feel like this is your classic world-building, ya-gotta-read-to-understand-the-good-stuff-later type of novel. I can deal with those! And I always appreciate that Gannon's books don't make me feel like an insignificant speck of dust who won't make a difference in the world-it does get tiring reading novels with such dire plotlines that my book hangovers last ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an interesting world. There are elemental families that are in charge of all the elements (water, sky, magnets, shadows, etc) and keep the world working correctly. But then a plague decimates their ranks and Cross, the last Shadow Elemental almost lets go but in the last moments realizes his Match is still alive, so he wrestles control.

Nia is leading the Water house to help find something she isn't sure exists to save them all, the Quintessence, with her twin and cousin. While searching the
Gena
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, contemporary
3.5*. Early series from the author and while i loved Cross and Nia, the story feels a little rough. Downside to me is all the different characters and storylines. I realize as an author you have a choice, either write each couple's story as a standalone and have some duplication between books or try to fit them all in from the beginning. With the second option, it felt like there wasn't enough time for the relationship to build. One minute strangers, the next soul mates for life. The author does ...more
Jen
Nov 22, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fated-mates
I like the idea and I hope the world develops as the series goes along but it felt like there wasn't much to the story for this couple. They had like two conversations, went through each other's memories and boom they're a couple. There wasn't enough conflict or development. There was set up for Ty and Gion and Job and Tessie and I'm looking forward to those couples.

Summary: Nia, a water elemental, is trying to find someone on Earth and is in trouble when Cross, a shadow elemental, finds and hel
Snow
Feb 10, 2022 rated it it was ok
it almost took me five days to finish this. that's four days more than it usually takes me to finish a book.
im glad i didn't start this series with the first book. like, i found some of it enjoyable but it had way too many chapters about characters that weren't the H and h. i actually think those chapters outnumber the ones about the H and h. so it kind of interrupted the romance for me.

but this book made me fall in love with this series' other characters all over again. gion and job are so wond
Elz
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm intrigued by this series so far but what bothers me is the way Cross says things like "Be a good girl and open your mouth for me, there's a good girl." when he is trying to kiss her.

Is she a child? Is she a dog? Why is he talking to her like that? It is cringeworthy and extremely disrespectful, I can't imagine anyone thinks such language is romantic or seductive.
HB
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book soooooooo much! Nia was the perfect h. She was strong, funny and loving. Cross was the perfect H too. I wished we got to read more about them as a couple but I understand the need to set the universe and for us to learn more about the other couples. So excited to continue reading this series.
Cassie Cassidy
Jan 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: ku, 2019
I finished the first three books of this series last night, and while I enjoyed them, I think there was a lot of wasted potential. If the author had focused more on the world building (give me more details about the Elementals realm!) and the overall plot arc, instead of only really focusing on all of the romances/matches, it could have been a great series.
Booklass Garrahan
Oct 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Though this book isn't as smooth as some of her other books, Gannon still entertains me. I loved the characters, though I felt a bit like I had walked into the middle of a conversation at first. That didn't last long, thankfully. It's a unique premise with a lot of intriguing characters.
Seaweed75
May 17, 2022 rated it liked it
It is an interesting world and concept that the author created. I like the characters so far. My only negative feedback is the first book was spent laying out the world and the events and little time was spent developing the relationship with Cross and Nia. There are so many unanswered questions about what him and her can do that should have been answered in that book.
Maria
Huge potential for this series, tons of world building and multiple characters that we just wave at... but can I say how refreshing it is to have two characters who come from a world with fated mates and when they find them are just full steam ahead...
Lauren
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me a few chapters to really get into this book, but once I did I loved it. The book has a lot of world building and establishing the cast of characters. However, the insta love really worked for this story and I am looking forward to seeing what happens next in this series.
Pet
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series is a little darker than CG’s other works but it has her signature humor and feisty h. Nia is amazing and the perfect match for Cross.

Edited to add. It’s a really fun book, but our own very real pandemic and riots stole some of the humor from it and that’s really sad.
Deb Zander
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story

Interesting characters and premise. Sometimes editing is a bit of a let down but self published is not always perfect. Recommended.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. syfy romance, shadow house hero. [s] 4 26 Dec 05, 2017 07:17AM

• Demon Lover
  • The Midwinter Mail-Order Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #4)
  • Secret Santa
  • Going Nowhere Fast
  • The Love Act
  • Curse of Dracula (Immortal Soul, #2)
  • Ghosts & Liars (The Impossible Julian Strande, #2)
  • Evil Twin
  • Kiss of the Necromancer (Memento Mori, #1)
  • Mutually Beneficial (Indecent Proposals, #1)
  • Illusions of Grandeur (The Impossible Julian Strande, #1)
  • The Mage's Match (The Mages, #1)
  • Dark Wizard (Bonds of Magic #1)
  • Cold Hearted (Tooth & Claw, #1)
  • Lord of the Abyss (Royal House of Shadows, #4)
  • Preferential Treatment (Indecent Proposals, #2)
  • The Mabon Feast (Wheel of the Year, #1)
  • Beyond the Next Star (Love Beyond #1)
See top shelves…

Elemental Phases (7 books)
  • Guardian of the Earth House (Elemental Phases, #2)
  • Exile in the Water Kingdom (Elemental Phases, #3)
  • Treasure of the Fire Kingdom (Elemental Phases, #4)
  • Queen of the Magnetland (Elemental Phases, #5)
  • Magic of the Wood House (Elemental Phases, #6)
  • Destiny of the Time House (Elemental Phases, #7)

News & Interviews