Start by marking “Warrior from the Shadowland (Elemental Phases, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warrior from the Shadowland (Elemental Phases, #1)

Warrior from the Shadowland

(Elemental Phases #1)

Elementals: Water, Earth, Fire and Air are only the beginning. Elementals support everything from Darkness to Time, secretly maintaining the processes of nature. Only now the Elementals are nearly extinct. Two years ago, the Air House released a plague that killed ninety percent of them. With their society in chaos and so many of their kind dead, they can’t find their Phas ...more
Published July 27th 2012 by Star Turtle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Warrior from the Shadowland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warrior from the Shadowland

Start your review of Warrior from the Shadowland (Elemental Phases, #1)
Sharon
Here are some of my thoughts:
• Cute. Can get cheesy at times, but it has a fun concept with the Elementals and interesting premise with the plague
• I felt really bad for Cross. The flashback scenes were so sad!
• I love Nia, Thar, and Ty. Great family theme.
• Uriel and Melanie’s scenes are the cutest! I really want to see a book/novella with them. Uriel is so funny with his straight-shoot talk.
• While I appreciate the multi-perspectives so I can enjoy learning more about Uriel and Ty, I do feel
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
3 stars for a Cassandra Gannon book is the equivalent of 4 stars everywhere else.

Now, this is a long book but a quick read. The romance is a bit too sweet and predictable - mainly, I read this book because I wanted to get the books in the series which focus on couples I'm actually interested in - but it's pretty decent.

And, of course, there are a few lines of Gannon's trademark humour, which always is worth at least an extra star rating.

[Blog] - [Bookstagram]

photo c l i m b C2A0e v e r y C2A0m o u n t a i n 2_zpsykn9gbgr.png
11.7.18- Calling it a day on this one. I'm not going back to this one. No rating as I didn't get very far.

Original bookmark: The writing style isn't really for me and I'm having a hard time connecting to the characters, the world, or the plot. I might return to this later. We'll see.
Mandy J
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have fallen in love with this authors books and writing style. this book reminds me of the characters from some f her previous books. Dont get me wrong now, they all share something in common, but are true and individual to their own books. I wish this book was a little bit longer and I go to read more about Cross, but it's the first book and it did not disappoint.
High 3 stars...i'ma give it 4 because I really liked this book now off to the next one in the series :D
Dot & Needle
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this author’s style and the concept is interesting. Very readable and has good humour.
Jai
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just discovered this series this week, and I'm really enjoying it. The author has a clearly original idea, and she's built a great world from it. Her characters are well defined, the conflict is convoluted enough to entertain, and the romance is enjoyable.

While not being about vampires, this book reminded me of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. It had that well defined world building, that cheeky style of writing, the manly heroes, etc. I liked Gannon's heroine better, though.

I'm looking forward
Judy
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoy paranormal books but this was different and I wasn't sure if I would like it based on the description alone so I downloaded the sample and i'm glad I did because I absolutely loved this book. The story was fabulous. The characters and the world were well developed. The story flowed well and I was completely drawn in. The only thing that kept me from giving it the complete five stars was that there were typos, enough that if I hadn't been so totally enthralled with the story I would have ...more
Donna
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. It's got an interesting premise and cool characters. Basically, there are supernatural beings called elementals, who are caught up in a civil war that's nearly destroyed their world. Cross is the last one of his kind. He controls darkness and it's slowly killing him. Nia is his mate and he's desperate to be with her, only she's causing all kinds of trouble and drags him into it. Cross is a great hero. He's brooding and tragic, without becoming a jackass. I'd recommend it for ...more
Coyora Dokusho
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quite liked it! Less typos than the superhero books, less humor as well, but there were still lol moments and the drama was GREAT!!!
DemetraP
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't feel much romance between Cross and Nia. They just kinda accept that they're together. Book 3 with Gion and Ty was so romantic.
Beatriz Valle
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice surprise! funny and different; refresing!
Helen
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, chick-lit
Having really enjoyed another of this author's series, which ended with an extract from this novel that I also enjoyed, I thought I'd give it a go. I was not disappointed.

The world building takes a little to get your head around but not in a boring or challenging way, just because there's lots of information given at the start to help you figure out what's going on. This series follows a race called the Elementals, who are responsible for keeping the universe in balance and ensuring each facet
Cherise
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like the world building but this seems not as strong a series as her fairy tale series. While the idea seems interesting, there are just too many things crowding this book, which makes it hard for us to really know the main couple well.

This is more of an insta story where there isn't really much push or pull between the protagonists. Instead it is about their dealing with this whole dystopian world, if this can be defined as such, as the human counterworld actually is functioning normally whil
Ada
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I had few preconceived notions about the whole elemental thing, expected a fated mates insta development and then to have multi-POVs from some of these characters right in the introductory book was just not looking good at first but surprisingly everything worked out quite well.

The different POVs was not what I wanted when we kept going off focus from Nia and Cross but honestly this time it helped towards world building especially to show this effect of Fall that is driving the story. It also i
Samantha
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance
I am really really unsure how to rate this book. I will give it an uneasy, unsure 3.5 stars to start with.

The world Gannon created is intriguing. I adore really unique world building. The idea of the different Elementals, the Fall, Matches & Phazing...very cool. Very INTERESTING. I've not come across anything quite like this in all my PNR reading. So that bumps it up high in my esteem.

I also like the characters. Nia is a force to be reckoned with. She doesn't hold back,is insanely loyal, and is
Diane ~Firefly~
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an interesting world. There are elemental families that are in charge of all the elements (water, sky, magnets, shadows, etc) and keep the world working correctly. But then a plague decimates their ranks and Cross, the last Shadow Elemental almost lets go but in the last moments realizes his Match is still alive, so he wrestles control.

Nia is leading the Water house to help find something she isn't sure exists to save them all, the Quintessence, with her twin and cousin. While searching the
Gena
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, contemporary
3.5*. Early series from the author and while i loved Cross and Nia, the story feels a little rough. Downside to me is all the different characters and storylines. I realize as an author you have a choice, either write each couple's story as a standalone and have some duplication between books or try to fit them all in from the beginning. With the second option, it felt like there wasn't enough time for the relationship to build. One minute strangers, the next soul mates for life. The author does ...more
Elz
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm intrigued by this series so far but what bothers me is the way Cross says things like "Be a good girl and open your mouth for me, there's a good girl." when he is trying to kiss her.

Is she a child? Is she a dog? Why is he talking to her like that? It is cringeworthy and extremely disrespectful, I can't imagine anyone thinks such language is romantic or seductive.
HB
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book soooooooo much! Nia was the perfect h. She was strong, funny and loving. Cross was the perfect H too. I wished we got to read more about them as a couple but I understand the need to set the universe and for us to learn more about the other couples. So excited to continue reading this series.
Cassie Cassidy
Jan 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: ku, 2019
I finished the first three books of this series last night, and while I enjoyed them, I think there was a lot of wasted potential. If the author had focused more on the world building (give me more details about the Elementals realm!) and the overall plot arc, instead of only really focusing on all of the romances/matches, it could have been a great series.
Maria
Huge potential for this series, tons of world building and multiple characters that we just wave at... but can I say how refreshing it is to have two characters who come from a world with fated mates and when they find them are just full steam ahead...
Lauren
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me a few chapters to really get into this book, but once I did I loved it. The book has a lot of world building and establishing the cast of characters. However, the insta love really worked for this story and I am looking forward to seeing what happens next in this series.
Pet
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series is a little darker than CG’s other works but it has her signature humor and feisty h. Nia is amazing and the perfect match for Cross.

Edited to add. It’s a really fun book, but our own very real pandemic and riots stole some of the humor from it and that’s really sad.
Deb Zander
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story

Interesting characters and premise. Sometimes editing is a bit of a let down but self published is not always perfect. Recommended.
Lana
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Completely different than what I am used to reading and I really liked it. Can’t wait to read the rest of the series!
Liv Arleth
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Intriguing.
Fibula
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stelle
A really nice start for a series I love!
Snarktastic Sonja
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
There is something endearing about this book . . . . it is not written well . . . the sentences are short and choppy, the thoughts are kinda tossed out there. The whole "phazing" thing seems to just be an excuse for sexcapades . . . Yet. I find myself thinking about the world and thinking about the characters. I've read on in the series, the writing *does* improve. The highlight is the world itself - which is quite interesting - and the characters. I just can't help but love all the water phases ...more
Diane
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance_fantasy
3.0 stars on Goodreads; 3.5-4.0 stars on Amazon. Pretty good story & characters; bad proofreading

I liked this story, despite its reliance on the "fated mates" trope (here called "Phazing", which seems a bit silly, but whatever) to speed up trust-building in two unexpected relationships (one secondary) incl. sharing formative and/or life-altering memories, but if I'd paid more than 99¢, I'd resent the lack of a final pass by anyone with a sound knowledge of English grammar.
It's a somewhat unique
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. syfy romance, shadow house hero. [s] 4 26 Dec 05, 2017 07:17AM

• Chaos Reigning (Consortium Rebellion, #3)
  • Yesterday's Heroes (Consortium of Chaos, #1)
  • Voiceless (The Willowdale Village Collection, #1)
  • The Beast's Bride (Once Upon a Time Travel, #2)
  • Cinderella (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #1)
  • Change of Heart (The Potentate of Atlanta, #3)
  • Omens (Dark in You, #6)
  • The Mermaid's Knight (Once Upon a Time Travel, #1)
  • A Bride for the Prizefighter
  • The Only Fish in the Sea (Consortium of Chaos)
  • A Demon and Her Scot (Welcome to Hell, #3)
  • Cold Queen
  • Dark Deeds (Class 5, #2)
  • The Son of Sun and Sand (Consortium of Chaos, #2)
  • The Snow Queen (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #4)
  • Little Red (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #5)
  • Doom (Xian Warriors #1)
  • The Father (The Holy Trinity Book 3)

Elemental Phases (7 books)
  • Guardian of the Earth House (Elemental Phases, #2)
  • Exile in the Water Kingdom (Elemental Phases, #3)
  • Treasure of the Fire Kingdom (Elemental Phases, #4)
  • Queen of the Magnetland (Elemental Phases, #5)
  • Magic of the Wood House (Elemental Phases, #6)
  • Destiny of the Time House (Elemental Phases, #7)

News & Interviews