Start by marking “When Love Calls (The Gregory Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
When Love Calls (The Gregory Sisters, #1)

When Love Calls

(The Gregory Sisters #1)

Hannah Gregory is good at many things, but that list does not include following rules. So when she is forced to apply for a job as a telephone switchboard operator to support her two sisters, she knows it won’t be easy. Hello Girls must conduct themselves according to strict--and often bewildering--rules, which include absolutely no consorting with gentlemen while in train ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about When Love Calls, please sign up.
Kit Snicket You can get it for free on Amazon Kindle!

Loraine
SUMMARY: Hannah Gregory is good at many things, but that list doesn't include following rules. So when she is forced to apply for a job as a telephone switchboard operator to support her two sisters, she knows it won't be easy. "Hello Girls" must conduct themselves according to strict--and often bewildering--rules. No talking to the other girls. No chatting with callers. No blowing your nose without first raising your hand. And absolutely no consorting with gentlemen while in training.

Meanwhile,
Staci
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
The first book of The Gregory Sisters series was delightful. When Love Calls includes humor and more than one good message.

Hannah is the oldest child and finds herself responsible for her two younger sisters after the death of their parents. Hannah has to make some difficult decisions as a result of their untimely death. She gets so focused on control that she forgets to let God be in control. Hannah with all her flaws was a fun character.

Lincoln is a great balance for Hannah's strong willed cha
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Hannah Gregory is good at many things, but that list does not include following rules. So when she is forced to apply for a job as a telephone switchboard operator to support her two sisters, she knows it won’t be easy. Hello Girls must conduct themselves according to strict--and often bewildering--rules, which include absolutely no consorting with gentlemen while in training.
Hannah doubts it will be difficult to keep that rule--until a handsome young lawyer starts getting unde
Olivia
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this more than I expected. I get a little irritated with the usual story line of the girl being independent and so forth! What made me like this book more was the time setting. All the car rides (in Lincoln's Reo :)), the picnics, the Hello Girls, and the last chapter!

It was really fun to read about Hannah being a telegraph operator. It cracked me up about all the rules while she was training for an operator (if you wanted to cough or wipe your forehead you had to raise your hand first).
Cheryl
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hannah Gregory is worried about what she is going to do after the death of her parents. It is up to her to care for her younger sisters. Hannah just may have found the answer to her prayers when she spots an advertisement in the grocery store. The ad is for a switchboard operator.

Lincoln Cole works for the bank. He pays a visit to the Gregory homestead. It seems that Hannah’s father took out a second mortgage on the house and defaulted on the loan. The bank is foreclosing on the home.

Luckily f
Maureen Timerman
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Hannah Gregory is an outspoken young woman, a woman before her time. She wanted to become a lawyer, and had started college, when both of her parents died. She now has taken over the responsibility of taking care of her two sisters.
They are living on a farm her parents owned when the book opens, and a young lawyer, representing the bank, tells them they have to leave. What an impression Lincoln Cole makes on Hannah, irrational as it is, he is just the messenger.
Now we have a young man smitten w
Barbara
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A delightful story about the very early 1900's and the different expectations that existed for men and women at that time. Becoming a telephone operator was much more difficult, intense, and involved more rules of conduct than I would have ever dreamed, and it was interesting to discover the phone companies felt they could dictate much of the girl's life. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the main character, Hannah Gregory. She is spunky, opinionated, capable, intelligent, likes to be in contr ...more
Alice R.
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I really liked this book: the more I read it, the more hooked I became and the less likely I was to put my Kindle down.
The story is quite simple: intertwined are Christian values, a bit of good old American history, romance and hardships.
Hannah Gregory is a wannabe-lawyer who has just lost both of her parents and, as the older of three sisters, finds herself in the odd predicament of having to provide for them.
Scrapping her plans to continue with law school, she sees her parents' farm being re
Becky
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot. Would give 4.5 stars if I could. I like the topics addressed here of forgiveness and trust.
Aerykah
Great book -- Loved it! I really enjoyed the characters too!
Megan
***Possible Spoilers Ahead***

I really enjoyed this book! I had never really heard of Lorna Seilstad, but I'm really glad I gave this book a try! One of the biggest reasons I got this book was because I am a switchboard operator and When Love Calls is about a switchboard operator in the early 1900's. It was very interesting reading about how the switchboard worked back then.
I think the only thing that I didn't care for was Hannah's actions. For someone who wants to be an attorney, she had such a
N.N. Light
I've been on a historical romance kick for a bit so I hope my followers don't mind. I think it's the humidity. lol!

This was my first Seilstad book and I loved her writing style. She immerses the reader in the early 1900's and it was simply delightful. From the background to little things like speech and shoes, it's a history buff's dream read. A little slow in places but it worked with the pacing of the plot.

The sweet romance melted my heart and the ending was delightful. I can't wait to read
Dottiebears
I'm not a fan of christian fiction/romances as they are generally far too preachy. This book however had a fair amount of humor, wasn't overtly "christian", and had some delightful, if squeaky clean characters. I really did like the historical background on the switchboard operators.
Shari Larsen
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While the title of this books makes it clear that this is a romance, there is so much more to this story. Set in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1908, it is the first in a series about the three Gregory sisters.

After the death of their parents, the oldest, Hannah, drops out of law school so that she can work to support her two younger sisters, Charlotte and Tessa. She applies for a job as a telephone operator. They were called "Hello Girls" at that time. They had to go through paid training first, and the
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Title: WHEN LOVE CALLS
Author: Lorna Seilstad
Publisher: Revell
March 2013
ISBN: 978-0800721817
Genre: Historical

When romance calls, will she choose to answer?

Hannah Gregory is good at many things, but that list does not include following rules. So when she must apply for a job as a switchboard operator to support her two sisters, she knows it won't be easy. Hello Girls must conduct themselves according to strict--and often bewildering--rules, which include absolutely no consorting with gentlemen wh
Brittany
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading When Love Calls. I had not read a book by Lorna Seilstad before and I find that I really like her writing style. The book was easy to read and very interesting. It was not bogged down with historical facts, however, it was full of historical information that the reader gleaned simply by reading this wonderful story. The rules for "Hello Girls" that Hannah has trouble following are eye opening!

The main characters find themselves attracted to each other rather early in the
Tanx
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
What I did enjoy about this book
- interaction between 3 sisters, warm & cute
- the switchboard operator job fascinates me, the book would have been better if there were more switchboard issues, such as the 2 girls who were jealous of Hannah, whatever became of them and the complain they lodged regarding Hannah's relationship with Walt & Lincoln? This was never followed up.

I really didn't like the main male character, Lincoln. He seems controlling, meddlesome & have a lot of free time
Kate
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful novel! I really enjoyed how spunky Hannah was, and how Charlotte and Tessa also weren't afraid to speak their minds when they were truly being themselves. I loved how both Hannah and Lincoln not only learned to trust each other, but to trust that God had their future in His hands the whole time! The bit of mystery in the novel was good, too.
I appreciated the glimpse of the history of switchboard operators, and from the author's descriptions, could see Hannah at her work station
Lisa at Farm Fresh Adventures
Fun Story With Great Message

I enjoyed the history of the Hello Girls being shared in this book. What a lot of rules and regulations they had!

I really appreciated that the overwhelming message to the readers was that trying to do life on our own instead of letting go and Letting God have control, brings nothing but chaos and stress. That it's just easier to let God handle it. A wonderful message to Christians.
Kathleen E.
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
May the Lord repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge. --Ruth 2:12

Iowa 1908. The Gregory sisters' parents have passed away from influenza. Hannah is home from law school at Drake University to care for her younger sisters. While leaving the grocer, she notices an advertisement: SWITCHBOARD OPERATORS wanted.

As supper is ending, there is a knock at the door. A legal representative of the bank is the
Lisa Johnson
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Title: When Love Calls (The Gregory Sisters)
Author: Lorna Seilstad
Pages: 338
Year: 2013
Publisher: Revell
Hannah Gregory is about to lose everything she owns. What is she going to do? How are she and her two sisters going to survive? The year is 1908 and the place is Des Moines, Iowa. Hannah’s parents have recently died and only left their daughters a small amount of money. The money has run out and the girls have no way to tend the family farm or pay the second mortgage their father took out on t
Victor Gentile
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lorna Seilstad in her new book, “When Love Calls” Book One in The Gregory Sisters series published by Revell brings us into the life of Hannah Gregory.
From the Back Cover: When romance calls, will she choose to answer?

Hannah Gregory is good at many things, but that list does not include following rules. So when she must apply for a job as a switchboard operator to support her two sisters, she knows it won’t be easy. Hello Girls must conduct themselves according to strict–and often bewildering–ru
Dawn
Hannah Gregory's life changes drastically when her parents die. She drops out of law school and goes to work full time in order to provide for her sisters. When handsome young lawyer, Lincoln Cole, delivers devastating news about a foreclosure on the farm, Hannah vows to make sure that her sisters never want for anything and to have nothing to do with Lincoln. For a rule breaker like Hannah, when she gets a job as a telephone operator - where strict adherence to the rules is mandatory - her sist ...more
Sydney Elaine
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the second Lorna Seilstad novel I've read, the first being Making Waves (which I highly recommend if you haven't read it already), and it didn't disappoint!

The relationships between all the characters felt real and believable in every way. Being an older sister myself, I could relate to Hannah trying to take care of her sisters without being to much of a mother. It was nice to see a real connection between them. They argue and fight like a family does but at the end of the day they're st
ASC Book Reviews
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book and the author! This is the first of Lorna's work I have had the pleasure of reading, and I WANT MORE!!! LOL! She weaves humor into her story with an elegance unique to her way of writing. I must rave about her style and the story. Mystery is held with in and the lesson of learning to trust. I am personally at a time in my life where I have lost my siblings whose relationships with me had been strained any way. So the relationship between the Gregory sisters is like a ...more
Abbie
Hannah is the oldest of her three sisters. With her parents dead and no way to keep their home they’re forced out of their home and Hannah must find a job. The lawyer in charge of evicting them feels bad for them and finds himself helping them. Hannah is not happy about that and does not want to trust him but he make it hard not too. Hannah soon takes a job as a Hello Girl thought with her outspoken personality things were sure to get interesting.

What I liked: I liked Hannah a lot. Being the old
Carrie Pagels
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Independent thinking Hannah Gregory and her sisters lose their parents, and their farm, and she must drop out of law school. To support herself and her sisters she must keep her difficulty following rules under control as she becomes a telephone operator, which at that point in history and at Hannah's work location had ridiculous rules to follow.

Attorney Lincoln Cole feels guilty because he is the one who had to start the eviction of the Gregory girls from their farm. He tries to help but Hanna
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK
I loved reading When Love Calls. Lorna Seilstad writes the most entertaining and fun-lovin’ books. With characters like Hannah Gregory, who’s mouth seems to keep her in trouble, and Lincoln Cole, bigtime lawyer, but with a soft heart for Hannah and her sisters, readers will be delighted with the details and twists and turns within the pages of this book.

Mix a well to do lawyer and Hannah and her sisters just trying to survive having enough food to eat and a place to live,
Cindy
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
My thoughts:
I picked this book to review because I have done work as a phone operator and I thought I would enjoy reading about that, however it was a bit too much historical information to really snag me into the story. That being said there are some great things I love about this book. Lorna Seilstad has a great talent at descriptive scenes. She can bring to life a shopping trip to pick out a new dress, making you feel like your right there shopping too. Also she has characters that are very q
LadyS
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
At first, I really liked this book but then the heroine started to get super annoying. I've noticed this alarming and wicked trend in books where the female lead is written as impulsive, spontaneous and really just stupid. Making silly decisions in the name of independence as opposed to the male counterparts Why are females portrayed this way? Im nothing close to being a feminisit but I find the trend abhorrent as well as trite (over-used ) ya, so the female lead was super annoying i wish i coul ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 21, 2014 06:08PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 03:09PM
Translation into Spanish, why not? 1 2 Jul 08, 2014 08:26AM
Clean Fiction: Discussion of November 2014's Additional Group Read 2 1 Jun 01, 2014 03:03PM

• The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow (Avenue of Dreams, #2)
  • Love at Any Cost (The Heart of San Francisco, #1)
  • All in Good Time (The Gilded Legacy, #2)
  • Trouble in Store
  • Choices of the Heart (The Midwives, #3)
  • Perfectly Matched (The Blue Willow Brides, #3)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • A Most Peculiar Circumstance (Ladies of Distinction, #2)
  • A Promise to Love (Michigan Northwoods, #2)
  • Into the Whirlwind
  • Lovelier Than Daylight (Saddler's Legacy, #3)
  • Caught in the Middle (Ladies of Caldwell County, #3)
  • Fairchild's Lady (The Culper Ring, #1.5)
  • Flora's Wish (The Secret Lives of Will Tucker, #1)
  • A Noble Groom (Michigan Brides, #2)
  • Beautiful Bandit (Lone Star Legends, #1)
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
For as long as I can remember, I loved writing. I even dreamed in plots. I also grew up attending antique auctions nearly every weekend, so history was as much a part of my life as chores on our farm in Iowa, reading books, and playing with Barbies.

So, writing historical romances fit perfectly. Times may change, the style of clothes, the way we speak, but the common threads that unite us remain th

The Gregory Sisters (3 books)
  • While Love Stirs (The Gregory Sisters, #2)
  • As Love Blooms (The Gregory Sisters, #3)
“I think she fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.” 5 likes
“Remember, nobility knows no race or station. Always judge a man by his heart and actions.” 3 likes