Start by marking “Phoenix: The Rising” as Want to Read:
Phoenix: The Rising

Phoenix: The Rising

Every 300 years, the immortal Phoenix returns to Mono Lake for its fiery rebirth--but this time it didn't return alone. The Nephilim are back in force, trying to keep it from being reborn so one of them can claim its immortality. But first they have to figure out who the Phoenix is--and any red-haired, green-eyed, seventeen-year-old in the area is fair game. And so, the ki ...more
Published January 10th 2013 by Evernight Teen

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix

Start your review of Phoenix: The Rising
Katrina
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that this Debut Novel from this author really blew my mind. I opened the book, not sure what to expect and have to say I read it in almost one sitting. Reading those last words, my thoughts:

How long till the next book?

My heart was heavy but certainly happy and curious , and my mind going one hundred miles an hour trying to work out which direction this author may take us in the next instalment.

I have personally not read many books on Phoenix's and this one is truly a unique story.
Whitney Olthoff
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
This book was impossible to put down. It's well written, imaginative, and full of twists and turns! The way the author tied together biblical and Paiute legend is wonderful. If you like romance, mystery, supernatural elements and constant page-turning, you'll love this book! ...more
Christy
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
What does blonde Julie Mason have to fear? Nothing. She lives a normal life even with a troubled past. When she meets Eli, she feels more than she should. Before her life can really start, a series of murders take place. They are seemingly random. However, she learns that there is a reason behind these deaths.
With the secret revealed, Julie decides to risk her life to help keep the secret. She doesn't care if they target her. In fact, she welcomes it. With a lot at stake and so many variables
Colleen Oakes
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this fiery gem of a YA title by Bette Maybee, who is an author with talent to spare. Phoenix is well-written, rich with description and gritty humor, written by someone who obviously is familiar with teenagers in a very realistic way. The story is well-paced and plotted, and Maybee shows her impressive chops from the first chapter, which moves between two characters (one dead!) with an easy grace. Eli and Julie are complex enough for an adult reader to empathize with, and yet young enoug ...more
Beaupeep
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Debut novel - really? Wow, where have you been hiding your talent Ms Maybee. I loved this novel. After going through quite a few DNF's this was quite a surprise. I can even say that I am content with the ending, if you do decide not to write a follow-up that is, but having said that, I would be most appreciative if you could give me a little more. Congrats to you on an excellent debut novel and for me an unexpectedly good read from the get go. ...more
Katie Olthoff
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I could NOT put this book down! It was filled with suspense, romance, and believable characters with complex emotions. The way everything came together at the end was so smart. It left you satisfied, but wanting more. Cannot wait for the next book in the series!!!
Kelley
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a really well written story with a unique premise. Loved the romance and suspense. The beginning definitely caught me off guard and I loved that. Fun character and a great story.
Vicky Hull lonergan
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very well wrote. It was one of those books that once I picked it up it was very hard to put down. Very good and easy to read.
Amanda (mandy)
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a great story! I couldn't put it down. ...more
Lissa Rice
(4)
Lenore Kosinski
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
LOVED the mythology surrounding this one. Haven't really ever thought about the Phoenix as a human-like being, and the legends with the Paiute and N...darn, can't remember the other name, well, they were well fleshed out.

That being said, there was just something missing from this one. I really only enjoyed Julie and Eli as characters...which since they are the main ones, that's what's most important. But it felt like there wasn't a lot of depth to any of the secondary characters. They all seemed
Boundless Book Reviews
We received a copy of this from the author, to give an honest review.

The book starts off great. We meet Julie. She is blonde and is super smart. Gotta be if you're in AP classes. Not sure I really like her BFF Charsey. There are a whole bunch of different characters that are introduced throughout.

There's Eli and he's holding a major secret.

You learn about the Phoenix. Which in local myth is called a Fire Child and the Nephilim are on a hunt. So a lot of people start to go missing.

There's ple
Tiffany
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: angels-demons
I feel robbed. I really disliked Lucy and was hoping Eli would kill her when he found out all the awful things she had done and then Julie could have been his protector. What a bunch of crap. She suddenly sees the light and now she is good? Robbed.
Jerry Ames
Mar 18, 2013
Vanessa
Nov 03, 2012
Bette Maybee
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cheyenne Inkwells
Dec 04, 2018
Janette
Feb 26, 2013
Megen
rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2018
Celebrating Evernight Teen Releases Today 1 4 Apr 25, 2013 10:25AM
Bette Maybee is a new author who loves to dabble in different genres, but they always have one thing in common. Romance! She just can’t help herself! Whether it’s young adult, paranormal, or women’s fiction, all her tales must have a dark, swoon-worthy hunk as the center of attention!

Bette has lived most of her life in Iowa with her husband, Tim, eating corn-on-the-cob and tipping cows. (JK—she’s

News & Interviews

The college campus has been a popular setting for books since the days of ancient Greece. In fact, Aristotle once wrote a dark academic...