Start by marking “Chick Bassist” as Want to Read:
Chick Bassist

Chick Bassist

"Chick Bassist is utterly savage. Lockhart's style waxes poetic as a modern Beat giving us a glimpse into Rock & Roll hell." - Laird Barron, Shirley Jackson Award-winning author of Occultation and The Croning

Erin Locke, the Queen of Rock, wakes up at the crack of noon.

"La Cucaracha" has infested her dream, and now echoes through her hotel room. "What the fuck is that?"
Published October 21st 2012 by Lazy Fascist Press

To ask other readers questions about Chick Bassist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chick Bassist

Arthur Graham
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. They've always gone together, but why? Why these three? Why not sex, burritos, and rock n' roll? Sleep, drugs, and rock n' roll? Burritos may be the ultimate road food, and sleep can be awfully hard to come by on the road, but (pardoning edgers like Rollins and old farts like Ozzy), most rock n' rollers seem to choose sex and drugs every time.

Chick Bassist. The chick on the cover looks nothing like Erin Locke, the titular character, but is “the motherfuckin’ Queen o
Orrin Grey
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap. I picked this up at the HPLFF, and read it on the first leg of the plane ride home. I devoured it, even though that meant I didn't have anything to read on the second leg. It was just that good.

I'm not really a person who has read a lot of rock and roll fiction, and I've never been in a band, but there's something about Chick Bassist that feels like it "gets it," and at the same time, taps into that desire to create, to excel, to make a mark, that's present in all creative endeavors.
Tiff Franks
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Boy did I enjoy this book!

It starts with Ross putting you in the picture, you hear the thoughts of one of the characters. It makes you part of the story, you feel quickly that you have a vested interest in what happens to the people in this book. Ross brings his characters to life in such a way they form in your imagination. He gives you a taster of who they all are, just enough to get your imagination going and soon it’s running off on its own, working out what the background looks like, how th
Rodney
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lazy-fascist
I am impressed! What may look like just another rock n’ roll tale at first is so much more. Beautifully told through many windows, the depth and variety in both the structure and the perspectives come together effortlessly. At many points, I stopped to reread passages, not wanting to leave the space I was sharing with them, highlighting in an effort to keep them with me. The writing is absolutely refreshing and memorable.
In terms of the experience of being a musician in a band, Lockhart knows h
Alan Clark
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ross Lockhart knows something about those who people the world of Rock and Roll. In CHICK BASIST, he provides an intimate and at times truly disturbing look at the pains and pleasures, the aspirations and triumphs, the simple failings as well as the epic downfalls of those who climb the stage with electric instruments and high-voltage attitude. I highly recommend this great Rock novel.
Lee Widener
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Chick Bassist" by Ross Lockhart is your basic story of a band breakup, and how it affects the lives of those involved. That's not to say this book isn't worth reading, because as they say, what makes a story is the telling. In his debut novel, Lockhart dazzles with his masterful storytelling. He clearly knows the world of sex, drugs and rock n roll inside out, because the book is filled with scenes that are drawn with such detaiul and precision that we feel we are right there inside the world.

T
Tony Fernandez Fernandez
Feb 01, 2013 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Adam Wilder
Recommended to Tony Fernandez Fernandez by: Ross Lockhart
I went to grad school with the author of this book and it is inspirational to see a former classmate follow through and publish a great book.

To preface my review, I am not a huge fan of punk rock. Even though I know Ross, he has not influenced me in any way, in anything, ever! Except to buy and read his novel. For the most part, I was doing my job as a friend and fellow artist to support my friends and fellow artists. So I bought the book, read the first chapter and let what I read sink in.

Abo
M Griffin
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chick Bassist is Ross Lockhart's debut as a writer of fiction, after establishing himself as a fantasy and horror editor best known for two successful Lovecraftian "Book of Cthulhu" anthologies. Despite Lockhart's genre editing background, the only fantasy in Chick Bassist is of the rock-and-roll variety.

This book is crazy fun, often funny, but it also has a serious feel, as troubling and difficult as real life. It tracks the passions and conflicts of an enjoyably grungy cast of dysfunctional c
Sol
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, won
What can I say about Lockhart’s book Chick Bassist that hasn't been said? It is a true rock and roll novel; Lockhart did a wonderful job creating a rock and roll world with rockin’ characters. One of my favorite things from Chick Bassist is the god like structure of the novel, jumping from one person’s life to another’s. However I must admit . . . that the one thing that kept me turning the pages was the relationship between Robbie Snow and Terrri Terrrors , I enjoyed observing their relationshi ...more
Brad Saenz
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED Chick Bassist from page one. The cast of characters are fully realized characters that you care about very quickly. The writing is clean and crisp and the story sweeps you away and a great novel should. I look forward to the next work from Mr. Lockhart.

M.P. Johnson
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This Book Stinks

This book stinks like sweat and spilled beer. It stinks like unchanged clothes and old pizza. It stinks like rock 'n' roll, the fast kind, the gritty kind, the best kind. Could be the ultimate rock novel.
Scott
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An intense joy ride from the opening scene. Ross Lockhart draws the reader through the zeitgeist of the puck music world he paints with the sure hand of only one who's "been there" could pull off. I can't wait to hear more from Erin, Terrri and Robbie--Long Live Rock!
Sabrina Morgan
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a great story or stories of what happens to the lives of three people after they break up their local garage band. As seen through the eyes of a young drummer.
This is a Goodreads win.
Dominique Lamssies
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heroes for Goats has just broken up and the members of the band have to find their own way through the world of Rock 'n Roll, which takes them down roads none of them expected.

For hardcore fans of Rock 'n Roll, particularly of the garage band variety, this book is a gem. One of the blurbs on the back talks about how the book has a rock rhythm and this is no exaggeration. There's a poetry to the way it's written and the book is very easy to read because it flows like a song, in particular the par
David Agranoff
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Chickbassist is a short and sweet novel just crossing the line between novella and novel. In rock and roll terms it is a very solid EP, one where every song is destined for the setlist devoid of filler. This is a passionate period piece of early 80’s rock and roll that flow with a prose rhythm. Lockhart has a way with words most on display in Track 10 (Chapter if you’re a stickler) which an almost poetic piece about warming up on drums at a band’s practice space.

The book is mix tape dictated by
Ian Welke
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are plenty of good rock and roll albums, but here is a great rock and roll book. Ross Lockhart perfectly captures not just the rock and roll lifestyle, but also the spirit of what makes great music and of great art. He shows his characters living amidst that mix of creativity of poetry, music and movies and also the sort of restless living and uncertainty. Meanwhile the book references music to create a background soundtrack adding to the sense of immersion in the narrative.

One of my favor
S.T. Cartledge
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I finished reading this book yesterday. I read it on and off for about a couple of weeks. It’s not a long read, and you could easily bang it out in a couple of hours. I probably would have preferred it more like that. However, I found reading it in short bursts to be pretty engaging in its own way. What Ross has written here is a stylish, gritty punk-rock novella. Chick Bassist primarily follows Erin Locke: the Queen of Rock, Christian, and Robbie Snow. It frequently changes perspectives (third ...more
Michael Seidlinger
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Down to the last $50 but there's still a chance. Everything'll be okay. Busk enough to get to the next city. Meet up with your drummer, the drummer you kicked out of the band, the drummer that went on to start a band that landed a developmental deal with a record label. There's still a chance. A little cash and another bump and it's just one last drift down the interstate. The music calls to you like this book calls to you. It tells you the story of your trying and subsequent failure. It wisps y ...more
Duane
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really rings true. As a former rock band member, I can identify with the rock-world events. The characterization is sharp, the plotting appropriately loose, the setting perfectly drawn. The moral(s) is/are there but the author doesn't have to beat you over the head with them and refrains from doing so. Closest comp: Cold Iron (Robert Stone Pryor).
Highly recommended.Chick Bassist
Renee Decamillis
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ross's descriptions of music and playing drums are stellar. This is a great read!
Nathan Carson
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Razor sharp prose for a rock & roll tale. Loved it, and look forward to more original fiction from this extraordinary writer/editor/publisher.
Ross Lockhart
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Foetuseater
Wendy Wagner
May 14, 2013
Jorge Palacios
May 05, 2014
Ross E. Lockhart is the Publisher/Editor in Chief of Word Horde. A lifelong fan of supernatural, fantastic, speculative, and weird fiction, Lockhart holds degrees in English from Sonoma State University (BA) and SFSU (MA). He is a veteran of small-press publishing, having edited scores of well-regarded novels of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. Lockhart edited the acclaimed Lovecraftian antho ...more
“It's your bone structure, contemplates Erin, that's what makes you pretty. It's the scars that make you memorable.” 1 likes