Start by marking “The Onset (Contamination #1)” as Want to Read:
The Onset (Contamination #1)

The Onset

(Contamination #1)

White Mist, New Mexico
Population: 1

After the murders of his wife and daughter, Sam Cooke is rebuilding a peaceful life as White Mist’s sole resident. Without warning, a strange man enters his store, and Sam is attacked and forced to flee town.

Noah and Kendall just finished moving a young couple from Las Vegas to Albuquerque. On the return trip, they stumble upon a bloody
Published October 22nd 2012 by T.W. Piperbrook

Christy
3.5 Stars

After reading the introduction / prequel book "Contamination: Zero" yesterday, I immediately went on to read books one & two today. In book one, The Onset, we follow the progression of the deadly disease that turns people into fast, aggressive zombie-like creatures and how it affects four people desperately trying to survive - Sam, Delta, Noah and Kendall.

I felt the writing was a little bit stilted and choppy, especially with the frequent abrupt endings and paragraph switches. That
chucklesthescot
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was a bit disappointing after enjoying the prequel book a lot more. This book lacks the tension and tight plot that the other book had. The book seems to involve a haphazard plot that doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. Our heroes are running around the place getting chased but never seem to get very far. We get hints about how this outbreak started with contaminated meat and a slight suggestion that the trucker at Sam's place might have been transporting it but we don't really s ...more
Laurie C.
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
CONTAMINATION- THE ONSET #1

Good beginning that introduces the characters in this story. I read book #0 and I don't know if this story is about zombies or some killing kind of monster that has caught a virus and had once been a human. I looked ahead to the last book #7, and the description reads like this; the ending is a cliff hanger, but tells the reader to go back and read book 0! I read book 0 and its about how St. Matthews town and how the virus started. Also a rogue cop who knew about the i
Charleigh
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this way more than the prequel.

The characters were more interesting and real, and the plot was exciting and action packed from start to finish. There were several storylines at the beginning, and I found it a little hard to keep up, but they merged pretty quickly and it was hard to stop reading. I also like how short these books are, it was a real fast paced read.

I am looking forward to the next instalment!
Natasha Banton
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who love horror and zombie books
This book was quite good. I felt that it was how I felt about the book 0.

There were many things I didn't see coming in the book and at the end of the book, that's what made me grip the book. It should be continued into a further journey and the readers can follow on with the story to find out what happens next.

Overall, this was a very good book and would love to read it again. I can't wait to read the next book to find out what happens next.
Hayley Vomund
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book picks up at a different spot than zero, which was little confusing at first. I quickly got over that. The book is amazing. I'm invested in the story and the characters, and I'm ready for more. I will say, I'm thankful for the box set. Because it ends on a cliffy. But, it's good enough writing that I'm hopping into the next one right away. Quickly becoming a big fan.
Julia E Glascock
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read most of the contamination series. The characters are well described and the plot will keep you reading past your bedtime.
D.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome writing with loads of action, loved it!
Joe Jungers
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A different set of characters than Book 0, but the story progresses.
Jill James
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little jarring with a change of characters but still a great read.
Sally Little
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was better than the first.
Leon
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: apocalyptic
slightly better than contanimation #0
Trish Strong
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced and quick read.Very enjoyable
Julie Powell
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Installment two introduces more characters into this surprising turn of events - people becoming monsters.

The reasons are revealed but the whys are still obscure.

Loved the writing style and fast pace.
Meg McGregor
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second in a series of books relating how the contamination of the Southwestern United States began with varied attacks on water sources, food supplies, etc.

I like how suspenseful the books were and that the action was non-stop! I also liked how each book concentrated on a handful of characters, helping make character development stronger, and causing me to want to find out what happened to each of the different groups of people.

I really felt sad for Sam and the tragedy that had happe
Chris Torretta
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book two starts with some new characters. Same great narration and audio. Story lacks a bit of something that book one had. Maybe the intensity and the introduction is now over so it's missing something. Still fantastic. I'm curious if the characters from book one are going to show up somewhere later in the series. I'm really hoping readers aren't introduced to characters that mean nothing to the overall story, but this is horror so it would not surprise me. Overall this one didn't have enough o ...more
Brian Switzer
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The Onset did a nice job setting up the next book in the series except for one thing- Pipenbrook is really drawing out letting his readers know what is wrong with the infected people.

Contaminated meat has flooded the southwest, turning those that eat it into murderous beings. But what sort of beings? Some seem to be mindless zombies, some seem to be clever and capable of thought. Perhaps in a later book we'll learn there is a progression but right now I am confused.

The Onset has well-rounded ch
Zelma
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I have been reading this series non stop for the past couple of days. I would have givin it 5 stars but the only reason is the swearing. Most people it is fine but I don't like to bring products into my house that my children can't read which is why I tend to stick with teen and young adult. This is one book I'll remove from my tablet when I am done. As for the story goes I did enjoy it. Very typical for a Zombie book and as I stated above I couldn't put it down. I just wish there wasn't such ...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it
As part of the box set I bought I was compelled to read this book after really enjoying book 0.

I was however very disappointed. The book hadmore gore less plot and an attemp to set some characters by fluffing them out while almost totally ignoring the characters introduced in book one.

That said, i have listeed to book 2 already and I can honestly say, stick with it. It gets better fast.
As for the audio aspect. Volume is still a problem and will be until the ed of the series.
The volume should
Lorre
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
The Onset introduces different charachters then in St. Matthews, the prequel, and their first encounter with zombies.
The prequel gripped me more than this book... it had more suspence and I felt more of a connection with the charachters in the prequel.

It was an entertaining read though and I'm looking forward to the next book because the charachters from the prequel will be in it again.
Daniel A. Daniel
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Contaminated

The first book being free was a great way to cast a line for readers, I bit, how could I not? The story is so well written that it grabbed me, wanting more, so much so that I bought the next two volumes, am about to purchase #3 & 4! Truly a very scary and not your typical SHTF tale, characters build up is quite good too. Well if you'll excuse me I have books to read LOL. Try it, first one is free, nothing to lose.
Colin Hickey
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, zombie, military
Enjoyed book zero, however the follow up book one was a bit of a disappointment. The new characters were less interesting, and the storeowner's backstory didnt really add anything..i guess it becomes a more critical plot point further into the series.

This volume seemed to just bounce from one zombie fight to another without any real driving plot. Hope the next volumes get back to the St Matthews characters and motivation of the instigators.
Lou
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm actually really enjoying this series but I just can't give 5 stars to zombies that run and use weapons. Half the terror for me is the complete lack of co ordination and thought. Zombies are dead! That's why they are so scary. There is no reasoning by them or with them. Change that and for me they are not zombies at all...
Blaine Moore
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I had previously read the prequel book some months ago, and this book didn't have nearly as rough of a start as that one had had. I enjoyed meeting the new characters, the book didn't delve much into the actual "zombie"-like monsters and instead spent a lot more time with the much more interesting interactions between the uninfected survivors. The story drew me in to read the rest of the series.
Donna Sanders
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book 1 review:

Yet again..... Wow. The story continues in New Mexico with a gas station owner, Sam, having an encounter with a strange man that has unusual strength.
For me the sign of a good story is being able to remember the characters names: Sam, Noah, Kendall and Delta.
Can't wait to see what is in store for us in Book 2.
Shea Cummings
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
As much as I wish I could give this book a higher rating because I was stoked to start this series with Book Zero. As it is, the only reason I gave it two stars was because I do like Piperbrook's writing style.

This book was a huge disappointment compared to Book Zero and his other books. I can't recommend it. Very boring and uneventful.
Adam
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
The zombie genre is flooded, and it's hard to make an impression. This does. The author seems rough around the edges, but the story is gripping and the characters engaging. The book was good value for money and well worth my time to read, and I'll be following the series.
Justin
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
So far so good. I wish it was a little bit longer but now I know why there is so far 5 books. But I like the side plots that are starting to develop as well. Here I come book two, Contamination 2: The Crossroads.
Pam Duncan
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First time reader

I have absolutely enjoyed T.W. Piper's first series! I was glued to it until the! I immediately bought the series! I don't have time to say anymore....I need to get to the next book! Buy this....you won't regret it!
M
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Loving this series. It reminds me of the show Z-Nation. My only complaint: each book is way too short!

• The Harbinger: Books 1 - 4
  • The Colonists (Movement Trilogy, #2)
  • The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse
  • The Forever Gate 2 (The Forever Gate #2)
  • Melt Down (Breakers, #2)
  • Alt.History 101 (The Future Chronicles)
  • First Light (After, #0.5)
  • The Hermit of Lammas Wood (Tanyth Fairport, #3)
  • The Return of the Discontinued Man (Burton & Swinburne, #5)
  • Area 187: Almost Hell
  • Wizard's Moon
  • Infected (Slow Burn, #2)
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • Forgotten Suns
  • The Trilisk Revolution (Parker Interstellar Travels, #5)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Evening's Empires
  • Apocalypse End (Reign of the Dead #2)
T.W. Piperbrook lives in Connecticut with his wife and son. He is the author of the CONTAMINATION series, the OUTAGE series, and co-author of THE LAST SURVIVORS, as well as the author of THE RUINS. In his former lives, he has worked as as a claims adjuster, a touring musician, and a business systems analyst for a Fortune 500 company.

Now he spends his days fighting zombies, battling werewolves, and

Contamination (7 books)
  • Crossroads (Contamination #2)
  • Wasteland (Contamination #3)
  • Escape (Contamination #4)
  • Survival (Contamination #5)
  • Sanctuary (Contamination #6)
  • Resistance (Contamination #7)