Start by marking “This Is Me” as Want to Read:
This Is Me

This Is Me

Ian Thorpe's achievements in the water are nothing short of phenomenal. He has won a record-holding eleven World Championship titles and ten Commonwealth Games gold medals. He has broken twenty-two world records and won five gold, three silver and one bronze Olympic medals. Having been under the spotlight since he was a young teenager, Thorpe retired from competitive swimm ...more
Published November 2012 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published October 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about This Is Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Me

Amalie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of Ian Thorpe and/or swimming this book will suit just fine however without knowing anything about swimming or his career this will not work. Here's the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Thorpe

Personally I think he is the best technical swimmer there is. His movement in the water is like art. He was like a fish or a merman even around 15 when I first saw his swimming so when he suddenly retired too early he seemed worn down. This book shows how he fell in love with the
Michelle
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Perhaps overly technical in parts, but Ian certainly needed to write this book to set the record straight. This is his gift to many of our children with sporting aspirations whether in swimming or not. It's a gift to many of the parents of these children as well. This is Ian's message to the media and how the invasion of privacy and the constant intrusion can affect someone mentally. A person who is personable and gregarious can barely manage the strain of media scrutiny so it is a lonely road w ...more
Jason
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really great look at the darker side of fame and the light that is waiting just around the corner.
Debbie
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This book is part biography, part diary. It details Ian Thorpe's attempt to gain selection in the Australian Swimming Team competing at the London 2012 Olympics, but also recounts various events in his life as an elite swimmer.

The first chapter is dated '1 August 2011' and the last '26 July 2012'. Each chapter begins with a diary-like entry outlining Thorpe's attempts to recapture his elite level swimming form after a break of four years. Each chapter then turns into a reminiscence about events
Scott
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly candid, open discussion of the dark side of celebrity
and how the public and the media can take away one's happiness.
Ks
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked him before and after reading this - I still like him. It's a frank and honest account of his comeback that didn't happen. Or at least didn't happen when people wanted it to happen.
Fiona Hocking
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Of course this came out before he came out - but if you can overlook this - and the constant denial of his true sexuality this is a good insight into a thoughtful, driven, intelligent man who has captured the hearts of much of Australia. Brave reveal of being able to succeed even through debilitating mental illness. Swimming as therapy - but would his life have been different/better/worse if he'd sought treatment earlier?
Nancy
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ian Thorpe's autobiography is an insight into his life and his successes in competitive swimming. It is a frank and honest rending of his joys, distresses, his early retirement from the sport coupled with his return. He shares how the media interferes with his life and especially how he finds it trying to cope with their intrusion.
Amy Thomson
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a swimmer and coach I found this book incredibly interesting. It pushed me to think about swimming in different ways and provided a whole new level of understanding. The glimpses into life of an elite swimmer were brilliant and Thorpe had me unable to put the book down.
Senne
After reading this... my respect for the humble Ian Thorpe only grew!
Tanja
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, inspirational and moving especially for a former swimmer like me and actually have met him (swimming on my lane when I was in the jury)
Talei Loto
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I was lucky enough to see Mr Thorpe in person during the London 2012 Olympics at he willingly gave his time for a masterclass type session with children and adult swimmers down at Tooting Lido. I've nothing but admiration for the guy... well, alright - maybe there's a secret crush - but its a healthy one!

I do recommend you watch his documentary film ' The Swimmer' - its brilliantly shot by two of his friends, and an intriguing portrait of such a talented person. I felt that this book is a more
Sesank
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I am beginner swimmer and wanted some inspiration off the pool and picked up this book at my local library. I read a few reviews on the book and knew it was a part diary part memoir. Although I was looking for technical aspects of swimming in parts, I was quite open to what it had to offer and was eager to hear Thorpe talk.

For some reason I really liked the very first line of the book where Thorpe says that he has come to a conclusion that he can never win against water and one day he will sink.
Get Ahead Kids
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
At only 14 years of age, Ian Thorpe became the youngest male swimmer to represent Australia and the youngest ever individual male world champion.
In this engaging and raw autobiography, Ian Thorpe writes about his upbringing and early swimming days in Milperra in Sydney, to being an Olympic Champion and World Record holder.

This is an honest and refreshing autobiography, in which Ian describes the events that shaped and changed his life and career and the reasons for his retirement at 24 years ol
Sue Hopkins
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great autobiography. Particularly as I am a swimmer so the technical parts of the book were really insightful and I can relate to some of his stories. I thought it was well written and gave a good insight into thorpy as a person, I was genuinely interested in his life story and the events he describes. I thought he came across as someone very personable and a likable guy. I thought he'd had a tough life with the media, which was a shame, who knows where his career would of ended up ot ...more
Jackie Mceachern
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I was a big fan of Ian Thorpe in the glory of his swimming career. I liked this book but, for me, it focused a little too much on the technicalities of his swimming comeback and not enough on Thorpe, as a person. I completely understand somebody wanting to be private but, if one is going to write an autobiography, I think the privacy veil needs to be dropped a little more. But, I appreciated the insights we did get through the book and I greatly admire many aspects of Ian Thorpe's character.
Anne Mackelvie
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Ian Thorpe - I was surprised at his knowledge world affairs and impressed by his intelligence. I have read quite a few sporting autobiographies, but although I enjoyed this one and finished it quite quickly, it didn't grab me like I thought it would. I didn't like him chopping and changing themes in his writing. That said, I am eagerly awaiting Barcelona 2013 World Championships to see what he can do!
Lee Baker
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the way this book progresses through the months leading up to the London Olympics but also through Ian's life before that. Ian has achieved magnificently in the pool & appears to be man of generous spirit. It is sad that despite (or because of) his achievements the press can't leave him alone. I commend Ian for his openness about his alcohol & depression & hope that the future brings him peace & happiness
Carla Matthews
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
He says constantly throughout the book "I'm not gay". Interestingly this is not true. He also says "I didn't take performance- enhancing drugs" (yet admits to taking Stilnox). .What else in this book could be untrue? A really difficult read - I love swimming, being an ex-competitor myself, but this book is poorly written, arrogant and unnecessarily political. Very disappointed. Despite this, I did find it interesting to read some of the background of Thorpe's greatest achievements.
Elle
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Hmm I was glad Ian wrote this book as it gave me insight into his life. It was brave of him to discuss his struggle with depression and the pressure of being in the public eye. However the book was quite long and I felt he kept repeating topics, especially the gay thing and the relentless media. I actually found the herald's article about him before the book came out more revealing and interesting than the actual book. Overall a worthwhile read though.
Susannah
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thorpe's autobiography follows him all the way from his childhood in Sydney right up to the London Olympics. This is a man who has had highs and lows away from the pool, who has led an extraordinary life of an elite athlete that most of us will never know, who has faced up to his own demons, and who has the courage to come back and stake his claim for the ultimate goal once more. Overall it was an easy read that was very interesting and inspired me to get back into swimming myself!
Kel
May 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is so technical that it was struggle to read, if it wasn't for this I would have enjoyed the book much more. It was really good to read the reasons behind things that are assumed by the media. Ian Thorpe will always be a champion Australian swimmer in my opinion despite any unproven claims of drug use, his not so successful comeback and least of all his sexuality.
Hildeberto
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good book! Despite been labeled as an autobiography and written in first person, the book was actually written by a English ghost writer. Ian lost a great opportunity to be honest about his sexuality. But that's OK because I've learned a good deal of swimming techniques and the mindset of a champion.
Helen Li
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
great read. Ian is such a incredible talented humble and down to earth person. has lived an extraordinary life. He is a great role model to all Australian. this book details the hardship of being so young and talented and living constantly in the spotlight. He also uses his status and power to help others which is an inspiration to all.
Paul
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. At first I thought it was just Ian Thorpe recollecting his memories about his races, but then as I read on, I found this book more about his comeback and also his thoughts and feelings which I thought was really good. i think the balance between swimming and his personal life was also very well done. Definitely a good read.
John Morris
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Good sporting autobiography from an outstanding champion and with the extra twist of the comeback to the sport. Found it at times repeating itself on subject matter but a good read and highlighting the pressures, outside the pool, that he faced.
Kathi
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Always loved and admired Thorpey. Was interesting to read his perspective, but he was already preaching to the converted. Where it struck a chord, when it possibly won't with others, was his account of some of his personal issues. I breathed out. Every little bit helps. Thanks Ian.
Prajwal Prasad
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Started respecting the athletes more after reading this book . Sorry to see Ian Thorpe in such a state now .
Vishruti
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Not the best prose.. But if u get swimming & are a fan, its hard to put away.
Shane
Some great insight into what makes a champion tick. However, the book is too long by a third. Just a little too much repetition. Has made me appreciate his performances a lot more.
This Is Me 1 2 Mar 11, 2015 09:36AM

• Spartacus: Swords and Ashes (Spartacus #1)
  • Eureka: The Unfinished Revolution
  • I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance
  • 21st Century Dead
  • Oxford
  • Gold in the Water: The True Story of Ordinary Men and Their Extraordinary Dream of Olympic Glory
  • The Time-Crunched Cyclist: Fit, Fast, and Powerful in 6 Hours a Week
  • Nansen
  • A Private Life
  • Tiger of the snows: The Autobiography of Tenzing of Everest
  • The Guynd: A Scottish Journal
  • Golf Is a Game of Confidence
  • Ernest Hemingway
  • Golden Girl: How Natalie Coughlin Fought Back, Challenged Conventional Wisdom, and Became America's Olympic Champion
  • Miracle on the Hudson: The Survivors of Flight 1549 Tell Their Extraordinary Stories of Courage, Faith, and Determination
  • අපේ ගම