Start by marking “Crankenstein” as Want to Read:

Crankenstein

(Crankenstein)

BEWARE OF CRANKENSTEIN!

Who is Crankenstein?

HE IS A MONSTER OF GRUMPINESS THAT NO ONE CAN DESTROY!MEHHRRRR!!! HE'S ALIVE!

He may look like any ordinary boy, but when faced with a rainy day, a melting popsicle, or an early bedtime, one little boy transforms into a mumbling, grumbling Crankenstein! When Crankenstein meets his match in a fellow Crankenstein, the res
Published August 13th 2013 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Crankenstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crankenstein

Start your review of Crankenstein
Calista
Crankenstein is a grumpy little boy when things aren’t good. I think this story is very funny. I think the point is we can all have a little Crankenstein inside us. I know I have a little in me now and again. My niece and nephew can certainly have Crankenstein in them too.

I do love Dan’s artwork. He has a bright colorful style. I have read the 2nd book of this series and now I have read the original.

The nephew thought this was a funny book. He recognized that he too can be a Cranken
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it

”MEHHRRRR!!!”

It’s alive! Aliiiive! Hehe…And boy is he grumpy. The grumpiness, hassles, and mishaps in life can cause grumbles and “grrr”s galore. But what can turn a sweet hearted boy into a monster? Into Crankenstein?

"When it’s extra cold on Halloween…or when it’s WAY too hot for popsicles.”

We all have our monster moments. We just have to remember to laugh and smile. Laughter is the quickest way to tame the monster in all of us. :)

My big thumping love for this book though lives in the art./>"When
Glenn Rolfe
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I try to read this one to my son quite a bit. He's a cranky guy sometimes, too.
QNPoohBear
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
7 year old niece LOVED this book! She can read it easily and read it twice to her little brother. She took it to bed and slept with it under her pillow. I thought it was really weird. There aren't many words and there isn't really a plot. It does seem like a funny way to talk to kids about their feelings -when they're mad or tired they're Crankenstein! The pictures are dark and fit the mood of the story.
Katie Lalor
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Since we had been testing (day 2 of 3), we needed a fun read aloud. Luckily, in each class I had a student that read it aloud which made everyone laugh due to their style on Crankenstein. All of us could relate on being cranky, but there are days where we don't want to be cranky. Sometimes a friends and some sunshine is all that is needed.
Cleo
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Books that take a difficult behavior then aggrandize and make it somehow workable....well....I enjoy finding the good ones. Illustrations are perfect. If you like this sort of thing consider taking a look at Spinky Sulks by William Steig.
N
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Who isn't a little Crankenstein from time to time?
Scott Rhee
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My daughter picked this one up at a used bookstore and loves it, which is appropriate because she can be a little "Crankenstein" herself sometimes. To be fair, all parents will see Crankenstein in their own children sometimes, which is why Samantha Berger's funny kid's book about grumpy guses and gillies will probably resonate more for parents than it will for kids.

Kids don't have a problem throwing hissy fits and temper tantrums. It's the parents that have the problem. Kids, univers
Nafiza
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Crankenstein will appeal to any child because they will be able to relate to the protagonist’s feelings as things go wrong and keep on going wrong for the poor little Crankenstein. The typography is appropriate and matches the emotions – happy sentences are told in bright, rainbow coloured letters, which are sprightly and fresh while the Crankenstein’s “Mehhrrr” is told in big chunky putrid colours that leave no uncertainty about Crankenstein’s state of mind.

The picturebook will affo
Barbara
Even the most normal boys can turn into monsters when faced with a series of unfortunate events such as being offered pancakes when there's no more syrup, on a very rainy day, or on a particularly cold Halloween night. The author humorously warns readers to stay away from Crankenstein since he can only be tamed by another monster just like him. The digital illustrations and the text are lively and engaging and will make readers smile since just about all of us can turn into a Crankenstein at som ...more
Tc
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feelings, humorous
What a great little book! This would be perfect to talk about feelings in a humorous way. Children will definitely be able to connect to the frustrations this character is dealing with in his day. We all have these sorts of days when everything just seems to go wrong. This book could lead to wonderful discussions about ways we can deal with our anger without lashing out at others. Plus, the illustrations are hysterical, so super engaging and enjoyable for children.
JennE
This HAD to be written by a parent! Time for school? Merrrrhhhhh. Melting Popsicle on a hot day? Merrrhhh. Time for bed in the middle of your movie or coldest Halloween ever and you get a mint? Merrrrrhhhh. A boy turns into Crankenstein when things don't go his way, until he meets another Crankenstein. This is bound to be a favorite of kids and Crankensteins of all ages.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The new hit book at my library. Our main character wakes up in the morning and he is awfully cranky. So cranky that he is, we learn, Crankenstein. Cranky about everything. Cranky, cranky, cranky.

You will love the resolution of this story. Perfect pacing, great illustrations, and just the kind of ending every teacher and parent and child will love.
Leigh
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Would work well with elementary school kids but not with very young listeners. It would pair well with other books about being cranky or having a bad day. I'm not crazy about this one but like I said, it would work well as part of a storytime or school visit theme on cranky moods.
Jenn Lopez
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I saw this was illustrated by Dan Santat and had to check it out! Such a cute story... everyone kid (and grown up) has been a Crankenstein at some time or another. I love Dan's art work, and Samantha's story is very cute.
Danielle
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Full Review to Come...

Short and Sweet: Love this fun take on kids being cranky. Perfect for that cranky kid who seems to wake up on the wrong side of the bed frequently. Dan Santat's illustrations are a perfect combination.
Ana Cob
Jan 16, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture-books
My son has agreed to let me call him "Alexstain"!
Kim McGuire
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!! I mean I work in a school and this could apply to all the kids and even the staff that works in schools too!!
Rebecca Crull
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute book. Cute way to talk with kids about their emotions.
Kelly Spoer
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the true story of my life.
Sadia Mansoor
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
All cranky kids goes like MEHHHRRRRR !!! :D
Seema Rao
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
We all get the crankypants! This book shows signs of its appearance and how to diffuse them.
Tina ( As Told By Tina )
Little 3 loved this and did all the sound effects.
Kristi Bernard
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educational
When things go wrong kids can get a little cranky and even turn into a Crankenstein!
This story is not meant to be scary but simply states that sometimes we can wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Or perhaps breakfast isn’t exactly as tasty as we would like it. Long lines and taking medicine are on the top of the list if you want to see a Crankenstein. Bad weather, broken toys are a few more things that can bring on the crank. But what happens when two Crankensteins meet? You’ll have to r
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, 00-pre-k
This book isn't as scary as it looks, fortunately for my son, who was a bit apprehensive at the cover. It just uses a monster to portray the sometimes-sudden crankiness that can overtake young kids when things don't quite go the way they want (and let's be honest, adults have these feelings too).

There isn't much for narrative in the first part -- just pointing out the different places and circumstances in which you're most likely to "find" Crankenstein: when popsicles melt, when line
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Crankenstein exists and he's not happy! Why? It's raining, we're out of syrup, we've got to go to bed. You know; the usual. We all have a little Crankenstein in us! It just depends on what brings out the moaning groaning monster!

My daughter had me read this so many times that I turned into a Crankenstein! She loved when I made the MEHHRRRR sounds! It was pretty fun book to read though. I loved the little patterns and how some of the "thought bubbles" were in different shapes depending on what t
Rachel Collins
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Grade Level: K-2

This book is cute and talks about emotion, something I think needs to be taught at a young age. I liked the simple story line and fun illustrations. Students will be able to relate to this because everyone gets cranky sometimes. It was a clever idea and can spark students imaginations. It would be a fun read aloud and I believe students would get a kick out of it.
Darinda
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crankenstein is like every other kid, just on a bad day.

My son and I loved this one. I laughed because, as a parent, I'm familiar with the crankenstein personality of a young child. My son loved it because he likes monsters, but he's so young, he's just starting to figure out the meaning behind stories. He asked questions, and continually asked for a re-read on this library book, so I'm calling it a winner. Loved the colorful, bold artwork.
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I adore this book! It is such a cute story for all ages because there is a little "Crankenstein" inside all of us! Thanks Mama Jen for sharing :)
Mackenzie Hoolihan
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this book because it is about a cranky little boy, and I think most kids can relate to some parts of this book. I like that Crankenstein is cranky until he meets someone that can make him laugh. I think kids will enjoy this because they all probably have that one person that can make them laugh, even when they are grumpy. I think kids will also like this book because the illustrations are very well done, and they are funny. This book made me, a 19 year old, laugh, so I’m sure it will make ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • It Looked Like Spilt Milk
  • Creepy Carrots!
  • Leo the Late Bloomer
  • Dog Breath! The Horrible Trouble with Hally Tosis (Scholastic Bookshelf): The Horrible Trouble With Hally Tosis
  • Small in the City
  • Arthur's Halloween
  • The Bad Seed
  • Aquarium: (Aquarium Books for Kids, Picture Book about Marine Animals, Nature Books)
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School