Start by marking “Showtime (Marvelle Circus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Showtime (Marvelle Circus, #1)

Showtime

(Marvelle Circus #1)

The grandeur of the traveling circus is at its peak in the early 1920s when sixteen-year-old Laila Vilonia is searching for an escape from her bleak future. Behind the gates of the legendary Marvelle Circus, she is thrust into a mysterious world she never knew existed—a paradise populated with outcasts. It’s in this glamorous new home that Laila sparks a controversial roma ...more
Published September 21st 2012

To ask other readers questions about Showtime, please sign up.
Nancy Brady I suspect that the author may have pulled the book from the market. At one time, there was also a sequel planned, and it no longer shows up here on Go…moreI suspect that the author may have pulled the book from the market. At one time, there was also a sequel planned, and it no longer shows up here on Goodreads. You might want to contact the author via message and see if she has any copies she might be willing to sell you (and not at an inflated price). What is the worst that could happen? She could say "No."
Just my thoughts... Good luck! (less)
Nancy Brady Having read it, I can say that I would consider them to be constant. From out and out typos to misspellings, misused words, and convoluted sentence st…moreHaving read it, I can say that I would consider them to be constant. From out and out typos to misspellings, misused words, and convoluted sentence structures. I have to say that the author definitely knows about the circus apparatus her main character uses, and that is the most impressive part of the novel. I wish the author had explained them in more detail in fact.
On the other hand, there are some historical inaccuracies that should have been caught through research. I hope this helps. (less)

Start your review of Showtime (Marvelle Circus, #1)
Aug 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WARNING: This is long, and there may be spoilers! Approach with caution.

Oh boy, WHERE do I start? If this had been a case of a friend giving me their manuscript, I'd have been able to get my red editor pencil and go nuts; frankly, this would have been riddled with red marks, I could point out flaws and errors on virtually every page. As the author has already chosen to publish, I don't have that option and can't focus on every specific instance of editorial critique, so I'll do my best.

The probl
Alysa H.
Jan 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
I won a copy of this book in Elle Casey's 2013 January Anniversary Indie Book Giveaway.

I thought the description sounded amazing, but this book wasn't really for me. I can't speak to questions of realism or historical accuracy about circus life in 1918, so I'll just say it's clear that the author has a great passion for her subject matter!

I can speak to other things: For one, the over-long, repetitive descriptions set a certain dream-like tone, but I'm not sure whether the dreaminess was intent
Step
Sep 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
NOPE. I cannot even with this unedited, unresearched, unrealistic, unreadable piece of nonsense. I knew what this was ten percent in, but I finished it out of spite. But UGH to these undistinguishable characters, this vacuous excuse for a main character, this Mary Sue story disguised by a vaguely intriguing synopsis. But there is so much wrong here. The strange preoccupation with school exams despite being in a traveling circus in the early 1900s? Running water in a train? Unrealistic interactio ...more
Nancy Brady
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-book, ya
The good, the bad, and the ugly with a tip of the hat to the movie by the same name.

First off, two disclaimers: The author offered me a free copy for a honest review; however, I actually purchased a copy. I didn't receive a free copy, but this is my honest review.
The second disclaimer is that I am not prejudiced against self-published authors. Many very famous authors (Mark Twain, Carl Sandburg, Virginia Woolf, Beatrix Potter to name but a few) and books (The Celestine Prophecy by Redfield, U
Aryn
Overall, 3.5 Stars

What I did like about this book:

0. It came to me free from Goodreads Giveaways!

1. The characters all had interesting and diverse back stories. Laila, herself, was the progeny of a prostitute, though her parents did fall in love. Her father attempted to commit suicide when she was 8 years old, and failed, leaving himself mentally crippled in an asylum. Her mother raised her in a brothel, where she continued to work as a prostitute to pay her husband's way in the asylum.

2. The r
Heather
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for an Author Requested Review.

I hate when I have to tell a woman she has mustard on her face or lipstick on her teeth. But- I do it anyway to save her from further embarrassment. Well, ahem, Chloe, you have just a little...right there....up higher...here, let me help you...

I enjoyed four aspects of this book: the beginning, the end, the idea, and the cover. The ENTIRE time I was reading, I felt so frustrated by the repetitious syntax that I could hardly concentrate on the stor
Renetta
When you were younger, did you always dream of running away with the Circus? Me too! ...until I read Showtime.

Let's start with the story line...

Laila Vilonia is the protagonist in Showtime. Right away she finds herself in a bad situation that she's in no way responsible for. She ends up getting "rescued" by some roustabouts from the Marvelle Circus. Lying about her dysfunctional past, desperate to leave it behind, she is taken in and looks forward to a chance at a new life. Things start out well
D
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark and eerily beautiful love story. Love for a new life. Love for belonging. Love for new family. And love that will make you run away with the circus.
Lose yourself in a world of wonder and deceit as you get to know Laila Vilonia and her crew of misfits in the Marvelle Circus. It's 1918 and Laila suddenly finds herself thrust into a world that demands hard work, strength, tenacity and that you always check over your shoulder.
I absolutely love how author Chloe Kayne portrayed life in a travel
Joni Thomas
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I credit this book to getting me out of my reading funk. Until this book came along I was reading Mary Higgins Clark and nothing else simply because it kept my mind busy, not because I was actually into the story. And then came a period of not reading at all. Until I came home to a package on my porch and unwrapped it to find a copy of this lovely novel.
The detail is extraordinary. The circus and the characters come to life in this novel. I was captivated by the romance between Laila and her "D
Marissa
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. That was....amazing. It was wonderful and vivid and it made me want to go to the circus so bad. Can I have the next one right now? Please?
Lindsay
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to start off by saying that I really enjoyed this book. Really. To the point that I stayed up way past my bedtime in order to finish it.
This takes place during the 20s (although it never actually mentions the year even once in the book and I would have been really confused if I hadn't read in the blurb that it was in the 20s), in the height of the circus' popularity. While I haven't been to a circus since I was a little girl, I was able to fall right into the genre and surroundings of the
Jasmine Villanova
Beneath the Moon and Stars review

This was such an amazing read. This had one of the most unique story lines I've ever read. The setting was fascinating. The characters were so amazing. This has everything a great book needs. Once I really got into it, I never wanted to put it down. I kept thinking to myself this would be an amazing movie. I can't wait to see where the rest of the series goes.

I really liked Laila. I like how she never gave up. She wasn't happy with her life so she made a new lif
Dawn Vanniman
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

As you know, I am extremely picky about self-published books. I honestly had to go searching on this one after I read it - I was sure it was from some amazing small press that I hadn't heard of, but nothing shows up. The editing was fantastic. Ms. Kayne is going places, she's a fantastic writer!

Set in 1918, tis is the story of Laila, a girl who runs away with the circus.

Laila's dad is pretty much out of the picture and her mo
Nicole
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I really wanted to be able to give this book more stars. The story line is decent, interesting characters with shadowy backstories that remain to be revealed in future installments, and Ms. Kayne has absolutely got some talent. However, as is the danger with the majority of self-published work, it falls short in the technical aspects.

The most glaring issue was the author's apparent difficulty with homonyms: passed/past, taut/taught, peaked/peeked. These are the main homonyms I found jarringly mi
Nanette Bradford
Showtime by Chloe Kayne Reviewed by Nanette Bradford YATR Review Panel Date read: 2 November 2012

The more of this book you read the more you want to know about Laila, the 16 year old, who left her old life behind to join the Circus. Well, she really didn't have much of a choice though. Her life at home is anything but great. Her father couldn't deal with life anymore and decided to take the cowards way out. He actually thought by shooting himself, in front of his wife and kid mind you, he would
Hypia Sanches
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Anyone reading this: please, ignore any mistakes (grammar/spelling) you see here.

I love young adult novels. It's more like an addiction, actually, and this was no different.

Laila's story kept me interested from the very first pages. Family-related issues, her interaction with others at the circus, all the stuff that happens to her in this book; all of this was the kind of things I like to read about.

Dex, Laila's love interest,
Amanda
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started out thinking this was a paranormal romance for some reason. But it kept popping up on a "must read" list. The author, Chloe Kayne, was gracious to give me a copy in exchange for my review.

When I started the book, I was hooked from the get go. It felt as if I were transported to the time period when circuses were the stars. I cant wait to get my hands on book 2. The storylines are so beautifully interwoven that you cant find a place to put the book down even for a moment. The jealousy V
Sandi
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: too-much-prose

Showtime is about a girl, Laila, who joins the infamous Marvelle Circus after an unfortunate event outside the gates that leads to a misunderstanding. While the book had strong potential, its accomplishment (or lack thereof) falls victim to novice-writer mistakes.

The Writing

What I liked: vivid imagery

What I didn’t like: too much of it

I appreciate that the author has a fondness for how things are described. I believe the author genuinely likes writing and its aesthetics, which fills the book
Kristin
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Leah
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was absolutely delighted when the author offered me a free ebook copy in exchange for my honest review of her work. I must say that on the whole I was impressed. I loved how much the reading stretched even MY vocabulary and I'm in a doctoral program, read constantly, and did pretty darn good on the GRE! I had to look words up more than once a chapter sometimes and I was thrilled that someone writing in the YA genre is opening the intellect of her audience, even if it was unintentional on her p ...more
Carla D.
I received a digital arc directly from the author in exchange for an honest review.

When I read the synopsis I was very curious about this book and I really wanted to read it, since I had never read anything related to the circus and its lifestyle. So when the author contacted me asking if I wanted a free copy in exchange for an honest review, I couldn't say anything else besides YES!

First of all, the story takes place in the early 1920’s but I never felt it in the way it was written, though ther
Brenda
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-author
I just want to say I am extremely happy that I got this book for such a steal. Sure, I have to post an honest opinion about the book in exchange for the book, but I would have done that anyway!

I loved it. I never would have guessed this about myself, but it turns out I quite like circus books. This is definitely a book I'll be recommending to others. I finished it in just over a day while flying back from vacation.

Basic synopsis: 16 year old Laila has learned to do what she has to in order to g
Shara
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shara by: Chloe Kayne
Rating: 3.5

You can also read my review here: http://thebookendreviews.blogspot.com...

Lifes a Circus.

I had the honor of being sent a free e-copy of Showtime by author, Chloe Kayne in return for providing an honest review. I wanted to do Kayne a solid and give Showtime 5 out of 5 stars...however, that wouldn't be "honest" of me and that is what she asked for. I thought about it for a few days and I've make my decision to give Showtime 3.5 stars.

Showtime takes place in the world renowned Marvelle
Laura Zimmerman
I received this book at no cost, thanks to the author. She sent me a free copy in exchange for an honest review so here goes...

I have to say that I had trouble maintaining interest in this story. The first few paragraphs were difficult to get through because they were SO descriptive--I felt the amount of description of the surroundings took away from what events were happening. However, after that the writing seemed less forced, as if the author settled into her rhythm.

It's possible that my inab
Krystal
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was asked to review this with complete honesty...

So to start out, I have a thing for circuses and clowns and what not. I think the fear of clowns and the circus is dumb. I love them. Everything about them is amazing to me. With that said, it took me forever to be able to picture this circus and the freakin train.

The train sounded like it had big, awesome box cars. Two levels to them and what not... and yet... it's still on a train... Basically, I imagined a big ass train with big ass cars stuc
Alexa
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, review
I liked this book.

I was really intrigued by the summary when I first read it. The first couple of chapters lived up to my expectations. Troubled kids, crazy parents, running way from home.

I found that once Laila was part of the circus not much happened. There were many characters being introduced and I found it difficult to keep track of them all. After she began living there not much would really happen for a while. They would go for walks and eat dinner and be in their cart but other than co
Keri
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.

When I wasn't in school or studying for exams, I was literally devouring this book. The action, mystery, and drama starts on page one and doesn't cease until the very end.

Showtime is the story of Laila, a teenage girl who joins the circus in order to escape her terrible home life. While in the circus she makes plenty of new friends, becomes a star, and also falls in love with the mysterious "Disappearing Man."

The author's writing style is
Charity
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER ALERT:

Laila Vilonia is an outcast in the world and the book opens with her and her friend, Hannah, getting into a fight with some local kids. In the process, the security for Marvelle Circus breaks up the fight and hauls Laila to the head carriage. Laila is given the opportunity to join the circus because she implies that her parents are both dead. Laila moves into a carriage with 3 roommates and her life begins to get interesting and better than she had ever dreamed. Laila comes from a
Kelsy M
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book, its so different from anything ive read before and I like that.

This book follows Laila who in the beginning is trying to get tickets to the Marvelle circus with a friend but things go terribly wrong and she ends up getting taken to the boss of the circus and ends up staying and becoming part of the circus. This is perfect for her because she can escape her mother who is reluctant to see that her father isn’t the same man anymore since he survived a suicide attempt and got loc
Czarina
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it

I have never been to an actual circus before but Showtime is exactly how I think it would be like. The details were so vivid, especially the aerial stunts, that I wanted to jump inside the book & see the show personally.

The book started with a dug deal gone bad, & after Laila was left by her so called friend, she got into trouble & Marvelle offered her a job, thus her circus career was born. Laila has a small group
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »