Start by marking “Letters from Honeyhill: A Woman's View of Homesteading, 1914-1922” as Want to Read:
Letters from Honeyhill: A Woman's View of Homesteading, 1914-1922

Letters from Honeyhill: A Woman's View of Homesteading, 1914-1922

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"While there have been many published accounts of a woman's life in the West, rarely if ever have they been executed by such a literate scribe."
Paperback
Published January 1st 1991 by Westwinds Press

To ask other readers questions about Letters from Honeyhill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from Honeyhill

Sherry
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography, i-own
This is one of my favorite books...and it sort of snuck up on me. I had little or no knowledge of what life was like in Wyoming in the lat 1800's and early 1900's. How this bright, relatively sophisticated woman from Indiana made her way to Wyoming and raised a family is a truly exciting story. My only problem with the book was the ending and of course it was dictated by the facts of the woman's life. I read this book about 20 years ago and I still wonder what happened to cause the book to end t ...more
Shae
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. Not "fascinating", like I couldn't put the book down, but "fascinating" like I kept marking significant letters and the content still floats up in my consciousness even now as another's life experience that appears profound to me. I don't know, maybe this book just came to me at the right time of my life, but I keep telling people about it, not even knowing if they will find it interesting. This book is a collection of letters that Cecilia Hennel Hendricks wrote home to her parents ...more
Joyce Reynolds-Ward
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent epistolary account of homesteading in Wyoming during the early 20th century. Cecilia Hennel Hendricks wrote frequently to her family in the East about the daily business of a honeybee and clover seed ranch of that era. Hendricks and her husband were also very socially active leaders in their community. Her accounts portray a couple actively engaged in building a strong local community. Good background source for someone seeking to write about that era.
Kathy
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is the letters of the author's mother written from 1916-1922. She was a college professor who left the "ivory towers" in Bloomington, Indiana,married a homesteader and moved to Wyoming. Her writing style is delightful and because she wrote almost daily, she paints a clear picture of life on a bee farm/ranch just after the turn of the century.
Lanette
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
My version covers 1914-1932 and is 700+ pages. As an urban homesteader and beekeeper, I really enjoyed the book. Because it is written in letter form, it took me forever to get through (I'd read one or two before bed each night, rather then 'finishing the chapter').
Marjorie Snyder
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, nature, humans
Really enjoying this correspondence, however slowly I'm getting to it due to time constraints. Nice one to sit by the fire with before sleeping...
Jenny
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
The copy I found had letters from 1914-1931. It was MASSIVE.
S
Georgia
Jul 17, 2014
S.E.
Aug 05, 2014
Hendricks and her husband began farming near Garland, east of Powell, Wyoming in 1914.

Published letters to her Indiana relatives are packed with details of her life as a homesteader, beekeeper, family and politics. Hendricks was active in Wyoming's Democratic Party and ran for state superintendent of public instruction in 1922.