Start by marking “The Happy Zombie Sunrise Home” as Want to Read:
The Happy Zombie Sunrise Home

The Happy Zombie Sunrise Home

Okie's fifteen. She lives in New York. She's got a few problems: she's failing geography, her dad's a wimp, and her mother, Sumatra, is a stone cold bitch. But things get a lot worse when Sumatra turns into a zombie and eats Okie's dad.

Clio, Okie's grandmother, lives in Toronto; but since the zombie apocalypse, Toronto's a lot further away than it used to be. Clio suggests

To ask other readers questions about The Happy Zombie Sunrise Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happy Zombie Sunrise Home

The Bad Boy's Girl by Blair HoldenThe Bad Boy, Cupid & Me by Slim_ShadyMy Life with the Walter Boys by Ali NovakI Sold Myself To The Devil For Vinyls... Pitiful I Know by DarknessAndLightThe Cell Phone Swap by Lindsey Summers
Wattpad
654 books — 908 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodOryx and Crake by Margaret AtwoodThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodThe Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
Best of Margaret Atwood
101 books — 234 voters

More lists with this book...

Antonomasia
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Antonomasia by: Granta
[3.5] Margaret Atwood & Naomi Alderman write alternating chapters of an online novella as a grandmother and granddaughter during a zombie apocalypse. Available to read here.

The granddaughter Okie isn't quite so well developed a character and could have done with a few more mannerisms than saying "like" lots and lots. She is generally quite likeable, a teenage mixture of confidence and optimistic naivety. It's easy to conclude that Atwood's character Clio is based on the author herself, feist
beentsy
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I kept waiting for more pieces of the story to arrive, but it really is just this short. I enjoyed the story but I do wish it had been longer. Also, I will be planting plenty of rhubarb this spring. As a precautionary measure.
Raven and Beez
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
We loved this book! It was short and sweet with just the right amount of zombie in it
Shawna
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wow...WEAK ending...The story actually had no climax...I'm really disappointed.

Everything about this was fantastic. The serial aspect, the writing, the story...but that ending is terrible.
verbava
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
дуже приємна книжка про зомбі-апокаліпсис.
гарно вдалося написати її двома голосами. етвуд розповідає за бабусю кліо - вона живе в канадському маєтку і пече пироги з румбамбару (кльове слово, і в дитинстві я його дуже любила, хочу пирогів з румбамбару), запах якого відлякує зомбі, як виявляється. така спокійна, доросла, споглядальна проза z przymrużeniem oka. і навіть зомбі вона убіяє чинно й витончено, мабуть, так вбивала б зомбі мері поппінс – до речі, а такого меш-апу ще не було? я би прочитал
Yellowdreamer
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Oh dear.

Fabulous serial to start with; loved the anticipation of waiting for each new week's edition, thoroughly enjoyed the two distinctly different perspectives (and writing styles) and as always was relishing being back in the zombie genre...and then it just ended.

Weakly and abruptly; ended.

Such a lacklustre, wishy-washy conclusion when there were so many other fun and fascinating directions in which this collaborative serial might have gone.

I feel as though I was just duped into reading fa
Lauren Mead
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the fast-paced pacing of this story and the narration, which alternated between Okie and her grandmother. I always like a story that can be told from more than one perspective and Alderman & Atwood do an excellent job of this. My only disappointment came at the end of the book, when I wished that there was more to read.
Melissa
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun
Athena
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Should I plant some rhubarb? I’m planting some rhubarb.

Would recommend. Free on Wattpad!!
Andrea Blythe
When Okie comes home to find her mother covered in blood and eating her father's intestines in the kitchen, she quickly calls her grandmother, Clio in Canada for help. Since Okie can't bring herself to kill her mother, Clio arranges for a transportation service to safely bring her granddaughter and zombie daughter-in-law to her home in Canada. With some rhubarb pipe, link sausages, and a little luck, they both might just survive.

The Happy Zombie Sunrise Home doesn't redefine the genre in anyway
Craig
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
I love how Atwood continually finds ways to explore the ever-changing way we write, thanks to technology. This confab with Alderman, creator of the "Zombies, Run!" app, is interesting and funny, with distinct voices for each character. However, I'm totally over the crabby goth-emo teen bs, and maybe that is (universally) true of teens somewhere out there, but I also know a lot of happy teens who still have problems and interesting lives. Having likable characters is essential for reader involvem ...more
Nadia
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
What attracted me to this story in the first place was the title, I just love how it sounds. And the fact that it was a short and FREE story, and of course the zombies. I just really like survival stories, especially zombie apocalypse ones.

I liked the writing, how different it was depending on the narrator, but straightforward. I loved that despite the nature of the story it didn't lose it's humor nor irony.

It's easy to lose the structure or the set of the universe when you are telling a short s
Melissa Rochelle
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, read-2013
Begin the story here: http://bit.ly/happyzombie

Learn more about the project here: http://bit.ly/PQE2O5

Even MORE new Margaret Atwood this year?! I've gotta tell ya...I'm a fan of this online, serial publishing trend.

•••••
I read the first couple of chapters in October 2012 when this project started, but then it sat on my currently reading shelf on GR for the next several months. Finally at the beginning of this month, I decided to make some progress.

This is a good story, but I felt like it was mis
Derek
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf, post-apocalyptic
Finally finished. It's not very long - some 40 short pages - but when you can only read it in your browser (or at least, when I can...) it's too easy to ignore it. I've managed to keep a tab open in my browser for a whole month.

What can I say: not Atwood's best work. Funny (how on earth Wattpad managed to class this as "horror" is completely beyond me), and occasionally poignant, but on the whole, boring and pointless.
Chiara
Not Atwood's best although her chapters definitely stood out compared to Alderman's, which mainly makes for the three star rating. Story is fun but nothing exciting but I guess there's only so much you can do with such a short story. Absolutely love that Atwood is game for anyting though and even ventured into Wattpad to do some collaborative writing.
Akahayla
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars btw... *sigh* goodreads... please...

I absolutely loved everything about this book... except the ending. That ending was very... I don't know... not... good?

But amazing characters and plot but just the ending was terrible.
Yoanna
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A lovely read for those boring moments while waiting for a bus, on a queue or for your boyfriend, since I read it on my phone via Wattpad app. But a lovely read indeed. I'm not giving it full 5* just because the ending came a little too soon for me.
Kathy Cowie
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this on WattPad - a fun app for your phone or laptop. Serial format.
Jake Moody
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thought this was a great zombie story. Just wished it was longer.
Jenn
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I really loved this in the beginning, but found myself getting a little bored by the end.
Leseparatist
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, can-lit
Surprisingly fun and light as well as an interesting project, but reading on the website was hardly comfortable. I wish it was available for download as .mobi or even a .pdf.
Diane
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read sometime in 2012
Mandy Yang
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was absolutely hilarious! I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to have a quick, funny read.
Luke Hoffman
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short, quirky story of a self sufficient old woman, her grandaughter, the girl's zombified mother and a grumpy-but-lovable zombie smuggler. Would definitely recommend for a quick read!
CatherineUmps
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Zombie apocalypse and Margaret Atwood! Best combination ever. Brilliant. Enough said.
Amanda Milburn
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun read - I bet Margaret Atwood would write a brilliant full length zombie novel.
Storyheart
Oct 29, 2016
Vivian
Mar 15, 2016
Erik
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Diogenes Club: Il ritorno del romanzo a puntate 8 24 Nov 06, 2012 06:58AM
  • Reading a Writer's Mind: Exploring Short Fiction - First Thought to Finished Story
  • Afterbirth (Strandville Zombie Series, #2)
  • Enter, Night
  • When Will You Rise: Countdown / Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box
  • Hades Nebula (Los caminantes, #3)
  • Fireflies
  • Deadlands
  • Dark Advent
  • Mountain of Bones (Gravediggers, #1)
  • Encyclopedia of Xanth (A Crossroads Adventure in the World of Piers Anthony's Xanth)
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
  • The Rising: Deliverance (The Rising #4)
  • Survivors
  • A Town Called Dust (The Territory, #1)
  • The Time Tutor
  • No Exit (The Big Empty, #4)
  • Plague (Plague 99, #1)
  • Transitions (Stargate SG-1, #18)
Margaret Atwood was born in 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto. She received her undergraduate degree from Victoria College at the University of Toronto and her master's degree from Radcliffe College.

Throughout her writing career, Margaret Atwood has received numerous awards and honourary degrees. She is the author of more than thirty-five volumes of poetry, childr