Start by marking “The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)

The Sea Watch

(Shadows of the Apt #6)

A shadow is falling over Collegium. Despite the tenuous peace, Stenwold Maker knows that the Empire will return for his city. Even as he tries to prepare for the resurgence of the black and gold, a hidden threat is steadily working against his people. Ships that sail from Collegium's harbour are being attacked, sunk by pirates. Some just go missing ...Lulled by the spread ...more
Published November 22nd 2012 by Tor (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sea Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sea Watch

Start your review of The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)
Eric
3.5 Stars

In the sixth chapter of the Shadows of the Apt series, the author takes the story in a new and unexpected direction, continuing to show off his incredible imagination.

Events pick up not long after the finish of The Scarab Path. There is little time spent on what happened in the last book, and Che and Thalric are nowhere to be found. Instead the story swings back to Stenwold, for which I was grateful. I find him a far more interesting character than his niece. Middle aged, balding, and
Liviu
After the superb Scarab Path, Mr. Tchaikovsky switches characters, setting and gears with a story that takes place partly at sea, partly in underwater scapes that read like action on the Moon or Mars, so the book has a very sf-nal feel.

It is all Stenwold and Teornis here with supporting action from a bunch of new characters as well as some known ones.

The universe expands with more Kinden, more places, more capabilities.

While there are some superb personal scenes including a restatement of one
Josh
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stenwold Maker takes centre stage in a story derived from politics, betrayal, war, and assassination in which his home Collegium is once again under threat of invasion – and it’s not just the usual suspects this time. Fighting to keep the peace, Stendwold embarks on a journey which leads him to the unexplored depths of the sea, east to the Spiderlands and north the newly formed city of Princep Salmea. All of the settings are quite unique and have a distinct feel about them; Tchaikovsky once ...more
Metodi Markov
Review on English, followed by the Bulgarian one. Ревюто на английски е първо, следва това на български.

The survivors from the collision with the Empire in black and gold are divided into their adventures.

In the "Scarab Path", we saw Che and Thalric's acting in the ancient city of Khanaphes, and the "Sea Watch" describes those of Stenwald Trudan and Collegium who are facing new challenges and threats.

I'm quite upset that the Bulgarian publisher abandoned this awesome fantasy series and many of
Lel
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and love the series. It keeps going from strength to strength. This book focus' on a new threat. This time from the sea! And guess who is in the middle of it? Stenwold of course. Did he save the Collegium from the Wasp empire only to lose it to the Seakind or the Spiders?

This book is full of non stop action, intrigue and plot twists. A whole host of new characters are introduced in this book with such flair that they feel like old friends or long standing enemies. Some of the
Carrie-Anne
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, fantasy
It's a testament to this series that you can have a book with multiple perspectives, set over an expanse of different towns, cities and places - and then have another following pretty much only one character, but still have it feel as epic and enjoyable.

In this volume we are introduced to a whole host of different characters and kinden, numerous plots are uncovered and set in motion and a whole new world is discovered.

That's all I'm going to say plot wise!

I really like some of the new
David
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just want to say right off the bat, that I love the shadows of the apt novels! While some have been better than others, none of them have disappointed, and I eagerly await each entry into the series.

This one I found to be rather different than the rest, and im figuring this book is a bridge for the events to come. But it did feel a little disjointed from the rest of the series, not to mention the mass amount of new information about new races, traditions and politics that is introduced. To be
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
The sixth installment in one of my favorite ongoing fantasy epics. Great story that didn't receive the highest mark like the previous books only because Stenwold is not my favorite chracter so far, and I felt the plot in this version of 20000 leagues under the sea was a tad too straightforward and predictable.
Still, the middle of the book - where we get to explore the kinden of the sea and their habitat was amazing - easily the best part of the book. Tchaikovsky somehow manages to inject fresh
Adrian Dumitru
Great book !

And i admire how the author could make a hole new univers in an already big world look so natural .

I am keen to start the next one !
Emma Victory
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A few adverbs made me knock the rating down a bit. Just no need.
Angrboda
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greatly enjoyed this one. Out of the series so far, it has by far been my favorite even though it doesn't have Che in it at all. The whole new world and new kinden revealed was really interesting, I hope we get to learn more about them.
Clawfoot
I've been conflicted on this series for a while now. For the most part, I love them. The characters are wonderful and the plots are intricate and complex, but don't leave me behind wondering what the heck is going on. But I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the world these books are set in. There are too many inconsistencies and the addition of the sea-kinden doesn't do anything to sway me. In fact, it does the opposite.

On some level, I did enjoy seeing the underwater world, but it just didn't
Jason
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
Let me start by saying that I was very disappointed with this book...for a little while anyways. That being said, Adrian Tchaikovsky has quickly become a favorite Author of mine, and I really am anxious to devour more. I was disappointed with this book because I loved the last one, The Scarab Path so much. Che and Thralic are my favorite characters in this series and they play no part in this novel. However, Tchaikovsky has made this novel all about Stenwold,and Teornis to a smaller degree. ...more
Nikhilā
I love Adrian's world building, I seriously think someone should sit down and make an rpg out of his works, but like so many fantasy authors while his stories and world ideas are really interesting and cool, his writing style is not fantastic.
Also there are themes that repeat rather annoyingly. And he's pretty much killed off every single one the characters that i found interesting now :( But certainly an entertaining book that one can read without expending any brainpower.
Katy
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
In this installment of the series we are introduced to a new set of people & new dangers. Nice interlude.
Madhurabharatula Pranav Rohit Kasinath
This is a review of the entire series - there are NO spoilers.

When I look back at the Shadows of the Apt, what strikes me at first might seem incongruous to most.

There are no unnecessary descriptions of food.

None at all.

10 books, each of them 400 to 700 pages in length - covering battles, history and multiple points of view - and not a single one of them had any descriptions of food.

Or sex, clothing, family crests, whores or incest.

And I loved it.

Not a single wasted line.

There may be many
bkwurm
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So in the immediate aftermath of the war in Khanaphres, the focus returns to Collegium. The Wasps are still plotting, the various Ant cities are still paranoid and suspicious of each other's relationship with Collegium. And the Spiders, having saved Collegium, now have their own agenda.

And while all this is going on, we get introduced to the Sea kinden, who have lived beneath the waves for millenia, largely unknown to the surface dwellers. Stenwold Maker, engaged in his attempts to keep
Amelia
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-horror
I'm so into the Shadows of the Apt series now that I can't provide a review that's even remotely objective. Tchaikovsky is an intelligent, informed writer who has created an absolutely unique world. The way that the natural world is woven into the stories just makes me happy. My entire life is animals and biology, and I constantly have to read scientific articles on behavior, cognition, ecology, etc for work. Despite the fact that it is literally my job to call bullshit on bad descriptions and ...more
Björn Friðgeir
Almost a two star review but no, the enjoyment I get from this world nudges it over. I gave up on this some years ago but got back to it and finished this time.
It's biggest flaw is how slowly it proceeds. I may have only myself to blame for not connecting to the characters much but either way I didn't.
Onwards to the next one. As I say I very much enjoy the world of the apt and Tchaikovsky's new non-Apt books are very good so I foresee finishing this series now I have this one out of the way
Larou
Following after The Scarab Path (which I read a few weeks ago), The Sea Watch is the sixth novel in Adrian Tchaikovsky’s Shadows of the Apt series. Like the previous novel, it only focuses on a small part of the total cast and is quasi-standalone, i.e. forms a complete story arc of its own within the framework of the greater plot.

While The Scarab Path took place in a new location but was peopled with many characters familiar from previous novels, The Sea Watch reverses that pattern and begins in
Paca Sad
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst I was blown away by the imagination and introduction of the new Kinden, I was torn. The deviation from the known Kinden into the unknown without full exploration of the former was a little unexpected, I was also left thinking what next, Elephant Kinden, Lion or cheetah Kinden?
But criticisms aside I was totally engrossed by this book and loved it and one of my favourite characters, Mr Stenwold Maker makes a welcome return
Doug
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stretch - this book took me to the limits of "wanting to believe." It is well-written and has a good story and potential - it just did not sell me. The premise is still awesome but this is the low-point of the epic.
Rohan Monteiro
At the halfway point in the series, this book takes a break from the machinations of the wasps and indulges in some world building under the seas.

Mixed feelings about the book.. it started well, the dragged through a lot of the middle and ended decently.
Stephen
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Probably the weakest of the series so far, the sea-kinden don't seem to fit in well with the other types of kinden. Other than abilities, there is not a lot to differentiate them.
Jerry Cashman
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s rare

It’s rare I think to find an epic fantasy series spread over many books that improves as it goes on. This is one and I’m loving it. Thanks Adrian.
Edward Mocatta
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookshelf
Alejandro Maríñez
Before I began this book, I'd sincerely thought this one would be the weak link of the saga. Boy,I was wrong.
Stephen Patrick
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wicked! Endlessly entertaining.
Pie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took an age to get through. Whole new sets of characters & kinder yet the same old sort of story. Enjoyable enough in its way but not really invested in it & a bit of a slog in the end.
Matt
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Redemption - the one word that comes to mind after reading this book. After being extremely disappointed by The Scarab Path (book 5) i told myself The Sea Watch would be A.T's last chance to keep me reading. I'm quite happy to say he has once again grabbed hold of my interest...and like the Polypoi "Touch" art...i don't think i'll be able to wriggle free.

As one of the other reviewers stated, i didn't like this book very much...in the beginning anyways. I definitely found the first few 100 pages
« previous 1 3 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Sea Watch [July 2019] 5 26 Sep 04, 2019 07:12AM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Shadows of the Apt #6 The Sea Watch First impressions 12 22 Aug 23, 2016 11:03AM

• Shadow Captain (Revenger, #2)
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Steel (The Cartographer #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • Evil for Evil (Engineer Trilogy, #2)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4)
  • Dawn of the Exile (The Infernal Guardian, #2)
  • The Warship (Rise of the Jain #2)
  • Stone Unturned: A Legend of Ethshar (Ethshar, #14)
  • Quill (The Cartographer #1)
  • Черное сердце (Сильные #2)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Half Truths (The Half Bad Trilogy, #0.6)
  • Half Lies (The Half Bad Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Tree
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
ADRIAN TCHAIKOVSKY was born in Lincolnshire and studied zoology and psychology at Reading, before practising law in Leeds. He is a keen live role-player and occasional amateur actor and is trained in stage-fighting. His literary influences include Gene Wolfe, Mervyn Peake, China Miéville, Mary Gently, Steven Erikson, Naomi Novak, Scott Lynch and Alan Campbell.

Shadows of the Apt (10 books)
  • Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)
  • Dragonfly Falling (Shadows of the Apt, #2)
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt, #4)
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • Heirs of the Blade (Shadows of the Apt, #7)
  • The Air War (Shadows of the Apt, #8)
  • War Master's Gate (Shadows of the Apt, #9)
  • Seal of the Worm (Shadows of the Apt, #10)
“Justice is like some unnatural hybrid flower you people have bred. It will not live long unless you keep it sheltered and warm.” 1 likes
“should result in a guileless Wasp artificer mouthing statements prepared” 0 likes