Start by marking “Penny Dreadfuls: Halloween Special” as Want to Read:
Penny Dreadfuls: Halloween Special

Penny Dreadfuls: Halloween Special

Thirteen deliciously ghoulish tales will make your Halloween Night that much more fun and creepy. Hide under the blankets with a flash light, stifle a scream, suppress a giggle, as some of the rising stars of horror and dark fiction bring you a collection of chilling and terrifying tales you'll never forget!

Includes:
Don't Go In Them Woods – Benjamin Knox
The Recreational
Published October 23rd 2012

To ask other readers questions about Penny Dreadfuls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penny Dreadfuls

Start your review of Penny Dreadfuls: Halloween Special
Quentin Wallace
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of short stories with many different themes. These are short even for short stories, but some are still very good. There are a few that are comical, and some that make me wonder why I haven't thought of that before. A few of them are downright scary, and the last story in the collection, Dark Gods Devour, was probably my favorite of the bunch.

If you're looking for a nice Halloween read, this one definitely works.
Terri
An anthology of varied stories. From a rather amusing tale - "The recreational Vampire' by Toby Bennett, to "Slice" - a tale told from a predator POV by Joan de la Haye. Victorian creepy type - "The Art of Steaming" by Jason Christopher to Alien pre-invasion SCIFI - "The Arrangement" by George Wright Padgett.

My favorites were "I love my Job" by Leo King a reaper tale, "Slaves of SLumber" by Avi Cohen - an imagining that ideas themselves are running things, and "Dark Gods Devour" by Benjamin Nox,
Kimberly
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked it!

This book has several creepy little stories in it. At the end of each story is a autobiography of the author. I liked that in case you wanted to look up the author. The first story was only 7 sentences! My favorite stories are "I Love My Job", "Medium Rare" and "Dark Gods Devour".
Madge
Full review on my blog

I picked this up a few years ago while it was free around Halloween, but I never got around to reading it. I found it earlier while going through my Kindle, looking for unread horror stories, and decided to give it a shot.

My favorite stories, which I gave between 3 and 4 stars each, were Medium Rare, The Art of Steaming, Anonymous, I Love My Job, and Dark Gods Devour. The rest of the stories were less impressive, for me and my tastes.

All the stories were quite short, taking
Sarah Iozzio
Nov 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is a fun little horror anthology, though about a third of the stories also appear in A Fancy Dinner Party. Of the stories that were "new to me", most felt a little too short, but were serviceable quick reads that left me imagining what happened after the story ended. The true star of the collection is Austin Malone's Medium Rare, a well written gem of a story that is satisfyingly complete. His attention to detail and ability to present a fleshed out character in a short amount of time sets ...more
Angel Grimes
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fantastic collection of short stories covering a wide range of topics and techniques. Some I just couldn't "get" while others ended far too soon! This i a brilliant book to break out over Halloween.
RaChelle Holmberg
tm
rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2013
Benjamin Knox
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lisa
Beth
Oct 14, 2016
Izz
Dec 03, 2016
A Scottish Ex-Pat, Benjamin writes mind-melting Horror, creepy dark-fairytales and fun pulpy genre fiction. One day he will have that island fortress and army of genetically engineered super-eels he has always dreamed of. For now he could be anywhere, perhaps somewhere near you...

For further strangeness visit