Start by marking “Flip-a-Word: Pig Wig” as Want to Read:
Flip-a-Word: Pig Wig

Flip-a-Word: Pig Wig

(Flip-a-Word)

A cat turns into a bat, turns into a rat, turns into a hat Just flip the pages andpresto-change-o a different word and picture appear. This bright, bold, friendly book uses phonics to teach word recognition and rhyming patterns. Learning to read has never been so much fun
Published August 31st 2006 by Blue Apple Books (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Flip-a-Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flip-a-Word

Debra
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-readers
I like these flip-a-word books. They are easy and fun. This one uses the -ig and -ug and -at families. The flipping of the pages back and forth and the fun of seeing how this changes the images makes it more fun. The extended word bank at the end could lead to some additional fun sentences and maybe even a story using these words. The word lamb could be a pause until you use the picture clue.
Brittany
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rhyming book that teaches "ig, at, and ug" and all of the words that rhyme. Decent illustrations.
Sara
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art is cute in this book and the flip cut-outs are clever. A good sight word book for IG, UG, and AT.
Memory Toast
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The adorable illustrations and funny sentences themed around 3 word families per book make this series a great one for an emerging reader.
Chloe
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like that the hug was sweet and she gave her a hug. And the bug had enough water and food. And I liked that a mug was alive! 'Cause it was funny.
Kaitlin McDonough
Personal Response:
This book is awesome and I think beginning readers will really enjoy it. The illustrations are extremely colorful so students will be interested in learning new words. This book has a flip book format so students will have a fun time turning the pages and it will also get students excited to read new books.
Use in the Classroom:
This book introduces word families to beginning readers because once they learn word families they will be able to recognized them in o
Laurie
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool, Kindergarteners
Recommended to Laurie by: Harriet
Shelves: juvenile
This is a really cute series for wee ones who want to start the very basics of reading, after they've learned their letters. Each page shows a word ending sound, such as 'ig' or 'at' and then has cut-outs as you turn the page so that different letters begin the word. Each page has a big colorful illustration of that word. I would have given it five stars, but I thought some of the illustrations did not look much like what they were supposed to illustrate!
Morgan
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent beginning to read book for new decoders - kids who are just figuring out how word families like -ig, -ug, and -at work. Really fun cut out pages and lots of different ways for the reader to practice the sound families. A hit with my newly reading son!
Kelley
A great book for kids who are just learning to read. The book focuses of three "families" of words and shows how letter combinations make the same sounds in different words. Lots of rhyming words and great practice for beginning readers.
Erma Talamante
What do a Pig and a Wig have in common? Their end sounds, of course! And you know what that means? Time for another Flip-a-Word book!

Read the full review here:

Denise
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginning-reader
Great for practicing word families!
Amanda
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
I think these are a must for a learn-to-read library. At 3 1/2, my son was more or less reading this to me.

Now reading these with my daughter at 3.5, I sing them like Wonder Red.
Cheryl
My son is learning to read with Hooked on Phonics & this book was recommended as additional reading. It was great because most of the words he already knew & could read by himself.
Ellen
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
For the earliest readers
Emily
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't do the sentences, my dad helped me.
Brandi
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
perfect for kids just beginning to read. Fun pictures and concept. My students love reading the books in this series.
Rita
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
An easy reader book that is uses word families. Kids love these books! I can't keep them on the shelf.

Amy McKay
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wonderful practice book for beginning readers. Helps accentuate beginning word sounds and rhyming relationships. A great way for a beginning phonetic reader to feel successful.
PWRL
Dec 02, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
O
Autumn
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book for beginning readers!! The best!
Arlo

• Flip-a-Word: Wet Pet
  • Flip-a-Word: Snake Cake
  • Flip-a-Word: Quack Shack
  • Flip-a-Word: Stop Pop
  • Flip-a-Word: Snow Bow Board Book (Flip - a -Word)
  • Flip-a-Word: Ice Mice