Start by marking “Buying the Farm” as Want to Read:
Buying the Farm

Buying the Farm

Missi Jennings has no family, with the exception of her cold, critical mother, who makes her feel like a perpetual disappointment. She muddles through life in Washington, D.C. despondent, yet unmotivated to do anything about it. When a horrific accident on a Downtown street leaves Missi shaken, numb, and wealthy beyond her wildest imagination, it also becomes a catalyst fo ...more
Published September 15th 2012 by Kimberly Conn

To ask other readers questions about Buying the Farm, please sign up.
Midge Detwiler I don’t know but wish for one. Since there wasn’t an afterward, there are so many unanswered questions. I hope the author will consider it.

Leslie Feret
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming

When I finished this book, I felt like I had been given a gift. It was truly heartwarming. The means by which the author portrayed how one person can make a difference and change the lives of what once were complete strangers will stay with me always. I loved each and every one of the characters and felt the author could not have portrayed life in the south more accurately. I hope to see a sequel with these same loving characters. Absolutely in the top 5 of the list of almost 100 boo
Peggy Hayes
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beware when you start reading Buying the Farm - you won't get anything else done until you finish it! Kimberly Conn's Missi grabs our hearts and pulls us ever closer to her, until we're crying, laughing and willing to bleed for her. Conn's honest look at what it means to be family helps us examine our own lives and families, and maybe even softens the rough edges of our not so perfect relatives. This is one I'll read again, and I'm already standing in line to buy her next one. Kimberly, please t ...more
Kathy Carter
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and all the characters seem so real I wanted the book to go on and on. This story grabs you from the beginning with something unexpected and from there you just hold on tight and enjoy the story. I hope it's the first of many stories from Kimberly Conn. It would make a great movie.
Betty
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed! This story is a family story. Good and bad. It is centered upon a young woman who is faced with choices that come with the downfalls being part of a family can create. It is a postive read however. The young lady has a humor that made me chuckle. Her humor comes out in her perceptions, or misconceptions. It isn't a comedy, just has some spots that can make you chuckle. At least it did me.
Donnab
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! The only reason I gave it a 4 is because a couple of spots just were drawn out with such detail that I almost got bored, but soon my quest to read more for the rest of the story returned. Definitely recommend this novel.
Megan McCuistion
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t quite give it five stars, but it’s verrrrry close. It took me a minute to warm up to this book. I really hated Missi at first and just wasn’t thrilled early on. That didn’t last though, the last third of the book was especially good. It’s a story of love and loss and learning and it’s beautiful.
Nancy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rounding out my week of vacation reading. Another good story. Not sure if I had a streak of surprisingly good books or if I was just so happy to be on vacation and reading that they all seemed, good. But either way, I enjoyed this and the others!
Charles Scott
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Complex family issues, thoughtfully explored

Enjoyed reading about Missi's experience growing up in a cold, emotion less family. And then finding her true family. Her shock at finally feeling tears on her face after a lifetme of smothering her emotions was amazing.
Joy
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got the biggest laugh when Missi translated what Dory said to what she thought it sounded like she said. "I like you, you're nice"to "i like you, you're an ass". This was such a heartfelt story of family with all it's dysfunction coming full circle and healing.
manjul mehra
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sweetest heart warming book I have read in a long time. My good wishes to the author who wrote this lovely book at this time when families are falling apart and missing the love and support you can have from ur extended family too..congratulations for this lovely debut book. Keep on writing. I will recommend this book to all my friends.

Excellent warm and lovely book for everyone to enjoy. Keep up the good work. Best book I have read in a long time.
Claudia Green
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best story this year!

I giggled every five page's thinking this is the kind of humor I can relate to. There is also a good story line that takes a twisty turn I was not expecting. I embraced this family as if it was mine, I cried when they did and smiled when they did. Great read.
Deborah Whipp
Donna
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many delights, no disappointments

This book was very rewarding. I have read many books about the rural South that were never so tenderly affectionate and respectful. We can all learn a lot from Melba's dear family. As we see the strong bonds holding these wonderful characters together, we gain a kinder perspective toward all people who face life bravely with honestly and simplicity.
If you let it, this book can be more than a pleasant reading experience. It can be a mind expanding lesson.
Janet Friesner
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally engrossing.

This was a new author for me and I believe this is one of the best books I have ever read. I do not usually like books written in the first person but I truly did not want to put this book down and I did not want it to end.. I loved it and will probably read it again.
Jill
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved the characters and the story. Great read!
Catherine Krause
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Had no idea just how much I would enjoy this book! I wish I could jump through the pages and meet these very real characters. A very pleasant surprise of a book!
Stephanie Casterline
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. Lots if twists and turns. Can't wait for the sequel.
Heidi
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
This was my second time reading this book and it pulled me in the same way as the first time. If you haven't read it, please do. It's such a sweet story.
Kathryn
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must read southern story. I just couldn't put it down! The story does a great job of twisting your mind from hectic city life to a well illustrated southern life.
Carol
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I could really relate to these characters, being a southern girl myself. I can even hear their voices in my mind-- they are so real and authentic.
Megan
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great story with some surprising twists!
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2018
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, as I don't normally go for 'heartwarming' stories of families and love stuff. My two critiques of this book are:

1. Lack of realism. The love stuff was really over the top. At times, it was verging on barfy. The characters and their development within the story also seemed to be too extreme, one way or the other. One character in particular, went from being completely sullen and withdrawn to fully engaged and participating in the family's displays
Lauretta
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heartwarming story about the power of love and family. Missi Jennings is living a miserable life as a paralegal in Washington, D. C. She hates her job, her boss, and her apartment. The boyfriend she loved and thought loved her came out as gay, and her mother, a well-known radio personality, constantly critizes Missi and everything about her life. The one bright point in her life is her quirky best friend. When Missi's mother dies suddenly in a horrific accident, Missi is shaken by her death bu ...more
T.J. Fox
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-drama
This was a truly heartwarming kind of book that had a wonderful balance of emotional responses, which is one of my favorite kinds. If you can evoke laughter and tears, both happy and sad, all rolled into a single story then you have done an awesome job as an author.

The one thing that kept me from rating this higher was how nearly every single character in this book fawned over Missi as though she was some sort of perfect paragon deserving adoration just because she exists, even those she just me
Karen Hawkins
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest,down to earth, real people and life situations.

One of the best novels I have read in a very long time. From beginning to end the story just rolled along and held my attention. Could not put this down for a moment because the characters are so true to life and the situations so heartwarmingly believable. The family members and friends as depicted are each loveable people you would want in your life and you can empathize with the emotions they are feeling. There is no violence, no awkward
Shari Ring Wolf
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story

Beautiful story about life, family, connection and what makes living worthwhile. The author describes feelings in a magical way so the story grabbed me from the first page. I love the way the main character went from depressed procrastinator to connection to others and inspiring friend and family member. I thought the story drug out a bit. The book is well written by an author who is knowledgeable about the written word and who writes creatively and professionally. A very sweet story
Angi
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!

"Buying the Farm" is one of those books that sucks you in immediately with its warmth, kindness, sweetness and caring. It is all if these things but not sappy in the least. Missi hasn't had a very good example of loving parents, but somehow she manages to leave her kind spirit with everyone she meets. I had a hard time putting this book down, and an even harder time as it grew closer to ending. A sequel is mandatory! I want to read more about the Little family and their adventures, espec
Penny P Hammack
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept remembering the warning "be careful what you wish for" while reading this book. After reading several downers I was ready for a feel-good book. I don't think I'll ever recover from this one. Granted some families are happier than others but the family in this book is just too good and happy to be believable. If you need to read a book where all is sweetness and light grab this one. You won't be disappointed but may gain ten pounds from all the eating/food descriptions and general sweetnes ...more
rethathompson
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an awesome read!!! I loved it. You all will as well!! I was raised in the country and I can relate to this close family relationship. Nothing like it. Thanks for reminding me of the most joy of my life. A close family is the best thing in life. Get the book. It will soothe and take you back. Great book

Get this book. It is awesome. About a close family nothing better. Great read. I loved the entire story. Best book ever!!!!
Faith Wilks
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made Me Laugh, Cry, and Think

Not many books capture the essence of family and friendship like this one does. Conn's writing shows not only her creativity but her insight into the human heart. Anyone who has suffered all- encompassing loneliness and loss will be blessed by this warm, witty, uplifting book about a young woman who, in finding the family she did not know existed, finds herself. A must read for anyone from 14 to 114.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• My Big Greek Summer
  • S'more to Lose (The Campfire Series, #2)
  • In the Shadow of Angels
  • A Handbook of American Prayer
  • The Sphinx at Dawn: Two Stories
  • Father Figure
  • An Occasion Of Sin
  • The Daisy Gumm Majesty Boxset (Three Complete Cozy Mystery Novels in One) (A Daisy Gumm Majesty Mystery)
  • The Green Rust
  • The Homecoming of Bubbles O'Leary: The Tour Series - Book 4
  • The Emily Chambers Spirit Medium Trilogy Boxed Set
  • How Blue Is My Valley: The Real Provence
Born in Mississippi and raised in the suburbs of Washington, DC, Kimberly now resides in Birmingham, Alabama with her husband, two sons and Ruby, the world's best dog. Buying the Farm is her first novel, but she is hard at work on the next one.