Start by marking “Stealer of Flesh” as Want to Read:
Stealer of Flesh

Stealer of Flesh

(Kormak the Guardian #1)

To the world at large, he is a mercenary and assassin, a brutal killer with a deadly blade. In reality Kormak is a Guardian, one of a near-extinct order sworn to protect humanity from the servants of the gathering darkness.
The Ghul are the Stealers of Flesh, an ancient race of demons who possess the bodies of humans to work great evil. Now one of them has been freed from
Published January 20th 2014 by Typhon Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stealer of Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealer of Flesh

Start your review of Stealer of Flesh
Dan Schwent
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, lendable
When an ancient amphora containing a demon is stolen, Kormak tracks the thieves down until one remains. Staggering out of a blizzard, Kormak finds himself at a fortified manor where both the last thief and the amphora are guests....

I knew William King from Gotrek & Felix: The First Omnibus so I was pretty excited when this popped up on my Freebooksy email one morning.

Basically, a body-stealing demon gets loosed upon the world and Kormak crosses an entire continent to slay it before it
Bookwraiths
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pulp sword and sorcery in the mold of Robert E. Howard’s Conan, Kull, et cetera. Lead character here is Kormak, a knight of a holy order, who is on the trail of a stolen artifact which holds the undying spirit of a demon. The long quest that follows sees our hero fighting his way across an ancient world filled with mysteries, magic, and adventure. To add spice to the normal sword wielding action are thoughtful moments where our cynical hero considers the world around him, his faith, and his ...more
S.E. Lindberg
Stealer of Flesh by William King
This short set of tales introduces us to Kormak, a Guardian who is essentially an assassin of dark creatures. He is hunting a Ghul across four tales. This begins a series which extends to at least 7 entries. This is Sword & Sorcery with a Warhammer feel. It has a lot of ingredients that I adore: mysterious undead creatures, intelligent banter, gritty warfare. It also had a knack for building up great potential only to not capitalize on it or to nullify it.
Lee Broderick
Look. Stop. Breathe. Stop. Read. Stop. I'd heard of William King. He's the author of Gotrek & Felix. This is his first book that I've read. It starts with very short sentences. It's jarring. It's at odds with the content.

Short sentences are an effective device for increasing tension. Overused they're just irritating. Using them for exposition is a terrible decision.

Authors are often accused of overwriting and told to keep it simple; what's less often acknowledged is that it's possible to go
Phil
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The first book in the Kormak Saga, Stealer of Flesh consists of four linked sword & sorcery novellas. While there is currently quite a glut of low-cost self-published fantasy ebooks, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the quality of this work.

The story focuses on the adventures of Kormak--a Guardian equipped with a dwarf-forged sword and monastic martial training--and his efforts to track down and destroy a demonic body-stealing Ghul. While Serious Guy Slays Monsters is well-trodden fantasy
S.E. Lindberg
Lots of undeveloped potential - Decent Adventure Stealer of Flesh by William KingThis short set of tales introduces us to Kormak, a Guardian who is essentially an assassin of dark creatures. He is hunting a Ghul across four tales. This begins a series which extends to at least seven entries. This is Sword & Sorcery with a Warhammer feel. It has a lot of ingredients that I adore: mysterious undead creatures, intelligent banter, gritty warfare. It also had a knack for building up great ...more
Tami Veldura
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Let's talk about voice. Stealer of Flesh has it in spades. There's a difference between describing a scene for the reader and describing a character via their understanding of the scene. This is a book to learn from.

I didn't find the plot particularly compelling, nor did I fall for any of the major or minor characters-- that's a lie. Petra was quite awesome, but I knew she was doomed the moment she joined the quest, so her presence was less heartening and more anticipatory.

The narrative jumps
Chris Branch
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This was available free for Nook and sounded interesting enough, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Haven't read much pure sword and sorcery recently, though I've enjoyed the works of Tolkien, Leiber and Moorcock over the years. There was certainly some of that here, though in this case, while a typical Dungeons and Dragons adventure derived from those stories, this book seemed to derive in turn from the derivatives. The characters are fairly flat, with repeated statements of their defining
Joseph
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Sword & sorcery in the classic mode -- a series of linked novellas about Kormak, a warrior who belongs to an order dedicated to killing ancient evils. Kormak is chasing a demon that moves from body to body (hence the title). Very enjoyable with zero padding.
Michael Wood
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
High Sword and Sorcery as a Monk/Knight Chases a Deadly Demon

King has created a wonderful world in which the supporters of a SunGod struggle against supporters of a Moon/God, and worshipers of Lost Gods look for the return of their Idols. He writes well, and as readers, we follow his "Guardian" protagonist as the Guardian explores the far reaches of the Sun/God's worshipers, meeting scholars, mages, werewolves, and interesting women (he is only forbidden to MARRY women; he can still enjoy their
Gilbert Stack
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
William King is the author of many great Warhammer novels so it was with quite a bit of interest that I noticed novel in a totally new series in his own fantasy universe. The hero, Kormak, is a Guardian dedicated to expunging supernatural evil from the world. This novel is a series of linked short stories that tell of Kormak’s struggle to track down and destroy a body-stealing demon. This is an action packed adventure as fans of King’s Warhammer series would expect. If it’s missing anything, it’ ...more
Jon
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
Standard, straightforward Sword & Sorcery tale without much to offer in the way of innovation or creativity. It featured choppy writing with plenty of grammatical mistakes, and the story felt more like a typical D&D adventure without a robust cast of characters. Unfortunately, the characters that did exist were flat and uninteresting, including the protagonist. At least the ending was complete and this isn't a partially finished novel stretched out over several books.
Charlie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy, fantasy
An enjoyable read

I will tell you the truth. I was not expecting much from this. But, I received massive enjoyment from this story. Part Conan, Part Witcher, and all fun. This is not classic literature and it could do with some edits on misspelled words, but it is enjoyable none the less.
Stanley
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice action

Lots of good action and a nice blending of fable and storytelling to keep it fun. Just enough horror to grip your attention.
John
An OK book. I enjoyed it, but didn't feel compelled to keep reading. Also, the ending was fairly abrupt and less than satisfying.
Craig Williams
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stealer of flesh

Really enjoyed this book it was very entertaining and enjoyable the hero normal is a man relentlessly fighting evil characters leaped from the page a great read
Jevon Knights
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of William King.

I love the Gotrek and Felix series so I'm always willing to read anything he writes.

I've been reading about the Kormak series on his website for a while now, but with an extensive library of books on my kindle that I've never read, and a long to-read list on Goodreads, I've always been reluctant to purchase it.

Why buy something now if I don't intend to read it yet, right?

But when I found out that the 1st book of the Kormak series, Stealer of Flesh, was free on
Éric Kasprak
Oct 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This is my first book from William King. As straightforward sword and sorcery goes this book is a good exemple, but there is more sorcery than sword. The action is always present but not enough visceral to my liking. The story is simple, easy to follow and perfect for this kind of adventure: you get monsters, rufians, sorcerers and beautiful women a plenty. But there is something missing for it to be more than a 3 stars novel... I think the atmosphere is a little weak and combine with the lack ...more
Ralph
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Not a bad start to a series that looks like it has about three books to it. At first I thought it was going to be about vampires, but it was much better! I enjoyed reading about how Kormak has to hunt down a demon that can travel from body to body; a demon that was released by his own sword. Look forward to reading other books in this series.
Kati
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, fantasy, in-czech
Podprůměrná fantasy s tuctovým hrdinou, který je na jedné straně nevrlý zabiják, na druhé straně zcela neodolatelný pro všechno v sukni a nedokáže udržet poklopec zapnutý. Kniha postrádala jakékoli napětí i emocionální dopad. Vlastním ještě i navazující knihu, Vykradač hrobek, ale nevím, jestli s jejím čtením budu nějak pospíchat.
Richard Preston jr
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Exelect adventure

Awesome use of characters the book has provided just enough of characters background to keep you wondering and a plot to keep you on the edge of your seats.
Joey Woolfardis
May 02, 2015 marked it as to-read-kindle
[To be read on Kindle, though not necessarily urgent.]
Sonya L Moore
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Choppy writing. Use of modern slang or verbiage is jarring and throws the reader off.
Martin Pingree
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good read.
Gerald Black
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Superlative high fantasy with dark elements. Fans of sword s and sorcery will live this
Keil Hunsaker
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book which is 4 linked novellas. Basic fantasy but very enjoyable.
Richard Valle
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice and simple story. Good world and main character.
Janko Krstic
Aug 02, 2019
Jason Graff
Apr 23, 2015
cecil asberry
Jan 08, 2016

• The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1)
  • Salvation's Reach (Gaunt's Ghosts, #13)
  • Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero
  • Horslips: Tall Tales: The Official Biography
  • Path of a Novice (The Silvan, #1)
  • Secrets and Spellcraft (Art of the Adept, #2)
  • Gate Quest (Star Kingdom #5)
  • Sledgehammer 44
  • The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm
  • The Goon, Volume 14: Occasion of Revenge
  • The Goon, Volume 15: Once Upon a Hard Time
  • Scary Stories Treasury
  • Garbage Pail Kids
  • Wolf's Bane (Moon Marked, #1)
  • Hidden Company
  • The Keto Reset Diet: Reboot Your Metabolism in 21 Days and Burn Fat Forever
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
  • Skin Medicine

Kormak the Guardian (3 books)
  • Defiler of Tombs