Start by marking “Bone Quill” as Want to Read:
Bone Quill

Bone Quill

(Hollow Earth #2)

In this thrilling sequel to Hollow Earth, Matt and Emily must stop someone from unleashing an army of mankind’s worst nightmares.

In the Middle Ages, an old monk used his powers and a bone quill to ink a magical manuscript, The Book of Beasts. Over the centuries the Book, and the quill, were lost.

Twins Matt and Emily Calder are Animare—just like their ancestor, the monk. Th
Published July 9th 2013 by Aladdin (first published February 2nd 2013)

Heather
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
This is a sequel that's better than the first book. It ends on the cliffhanger of all cliffies, so I'm awaiting the third book.

I feel that the Barrowmans have done something really clever in the way they've built up this story. There's a lovely device of introducing characters from the past and then bringing in the device of time travel so that the stories all come together.

I know there's the thing of celebrities writing books that winds some people up, and mostly I agree, yes there are no dou
Lauren Stoolfire
Definitely should have read book one, Hollow Earth, first but Bone Quill was still a lot of fun. This adventure goes by so fast, but luckily I never completely out of the loop. I'm going to have to catch up on this series in the future.
Shannon O'Donnell
Great sequel--every bit as action-packed and suspenseful as Hollow Earth!! L-O-V-E!!!
Candace
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the second in the Hollow Earth series. I enjoyed the first one enough that I wanted to keep reading the rest of the series. This second one still wants me reading the third, so that is a good thing!

Twins Matt and Em are back again, drawing pictures that come to life. But this time Matt goes off on his own creating conflict that was absent in the first book. The writing is similar, an easy read where you can get into the story and not be bogged down by either too good or too bad writing.
Colleen
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, grades4-6
So this book gets 3 stars instead of 4 because it had a typical series cliff hanger ending with no closure. I guess I didn't mind the cliff hanger in the first book because there was closure -- here there obviously needs to be another story. It also took me longer to get into but I think that is because I read it immediately after finishing the first book. Once I did get into the story I enjoyed it and was shocked and surprised by some of the plot elements. Enjoyable but I'm tired of series book ...more
El Amethyst
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome!! there are no words to describe the unique ingenious of this story and world!!!
CaroleHeidi
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I confess that I only bought the first book in this series to fuel my John Barrowman obsession and didn’t really have very high expectations of it. Then I read it and loved every second and desperately wanted book two already.

Luckily for me, Liberty recieved Bone Quill for review (having borrowed my copy of Hollow Earth and loving it, too) so I didn’t have to wait long before I could borrow it.

I raced through Bone Quill because it was fast-paced and gripping, the story carying on from where it l
Landon alexander summers
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Em and Matt Calder are back to save the world. You thought after defeating Tanan and the Hollow Earth Society once that it would be all good, case closed? Ha! You thought wrong! After the incident that ripped through the family, Matt and Em are stuck in a world without animating, which at the moment, meant no drawing, making art, or coloring of any kind until they could get their powers under control. But do you think that will stop them? Of course not, because in a book, do main characters usua ...more
Iris Halliez
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally loved this book, it's a great read for everyone regardless of age. It was captivating from the very start and I was glued to it until the very end. I read it in one sitting. It's fast paced and exciting with lots of suspense, mystery and gripping adventure, great characters and many unexpected turns. I was most intrigued by the sinister forces and mixture of myth, fable and fantastical vision. As in the first instalment fiction is linked in a great way with real places and artwork whic ...more
Anja
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the first installment, but still great, entertaining, and fun. Confusing from time to time, all those switching back and forth in time made my brains tingle ^^ It wasn't always gripping, some parts dragged a little bit. The thrilling ending made up for the slow parts, though.
Loved the setting and the imaginative world, loved the protagonists (esp. Solon and Zach ❤), loved how the plot developed. The evil cliffhanger, however, I didn't like that much... which is why I'm off t
Rita
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: barrowman
it was a fantastic read. just like the first one (hollow earth) it was full of excitement and adventure. at one point i knew what was going to happen but the suspense to get there was well worth it. but the ending had me in tears.

i only hope there is a third part and as soon as its out i'm getting it.

the characters where so realistic and honest. i felt their feelings and saw what they did.

loved it.

Kris Padget
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This series is so imaginative. I really enjoyed the first book 'Hollow Earth' and 'Bone Quill'was even better. Matt & Em's journey is full of twists & turns and some darker adventures than I would expect. The way the plot skewed at the end was a surprise that wasn't totally unexpected but definitely welcomed. Life is complicated, even more so when you have magical abilities. The cliffhanger has me desperate for the rest of the series!
Tianna Green
Wow! It kept me wanting to read more and more! I couldn't put it down! I can't wait for the next book to come out! A wonderful series! Absolutely fantastic!
Alison Boyd
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really great sequel, now I'm looking forward to the next one.
Debra Cook
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a fantastic adventure. Loved every word. And the time travel added a great touch the the kids Animare abilities. Can't want for the last installment to the trilogy.
Amy Baker
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-on-kindle
Brilliant just the like first book they wrote the ending is a cliff hanger...
Rita
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
the second rethrough was better than the first. i missed a few things that made more sense now that i have read it again. still could not put book down at the end.
Mieneke
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, 2013, fantasy
Last week I reviewed the first book in the Hollow Earth series, which I really enjoyed. The second book, Bone Quill, was just as big a treat as the first book was, perhaps even more so as some of the elements I enjoyed in the first book had a larger role in this book and we got to see more of the adults and their history. As this is book two in a series and this book starts where the previous book leaves off and deals with the fall out of that earlier book, it is impossible to discuss Bone Quill ...more
Nessa Luna [October Tune]
Actual rating: 3,5 - I am not sure how I found out about this series, perhaps from a tweet from one of the authors (John Barrowman, who I followed because he played Captain Jack Harkness in Doctor Who and Torchwood), but I knew that I wanted to read it because I thought the summary was quite interesting. I bought the first book, and was pleasantly surprised, even though it was a book written for children I enjoyed it very much. It wasn't the best story I've ever read, but I did like it enough to ...more
Hannah (Ivyclad Ideas)
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Time Riders fans
Shelves: reviewed, read-2014
Woah! If there was one thing that I was not expecting from this series, it was (view spoiler). This does not change the fact that the plot of Bone Quill hinges entirely on it.

For the first half of the book, I honestly felt let down. The sudden new ability infuriated me for some reason (more on that later).

I put it down and went away for a few months (exams and the Blood of Olympus are to blame for this)...

When I picked it up again, everything got moving. In my Hollow
Jenevieve
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Review first published on My Blog. Check out all my reviews there!

The second book in the Hollow Earth trilogy by John & Carole E. Barrowman. Matt and Em are just learning more and more about their powers, their family history, their father, and Book of Beasts that was created to keep the most dangerous creatures of myth and legend away from the rest of the world. At the same time, they are worried sick and trying to find any trace of where there mother has disappeared to. Clues start to poin
Kyra
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The sequel to Hollow Earth is enrapturing from the start, and we soon figure out that there is a whole lot more to this story than first thought. Solon's story, dated in the middle ages, finally begins to make sense when we realise that Matt and Emily have one amazing animare power fairly early on in the book. Every aspect of the plot from then on is driven by this realisation to enable a very complex and interesting story. The children find themselves in much more grave situations than before, ...more
Erikka
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was equal to, if not better than, the first book. I enjoyed the time travel element (seriously, could I expect anything left from Jack freakin' Harkness?), I still love the characters, and the ending leaves plenty of questions for the third book.

One thing I like about these books is that they don't "child" it down at all. The characters are more developed and flawed than in other books for this age group (4th-6th grade, which I'm assuming is the target audience), the plot is complex and wi
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
We thought this was the first book in the series, but it's the second. Oh we'll. No wonder we were so confused by the prologue! But once into the book, we enjoyed it. This fantasy/time-travel story alternates between modern times at a monastery on a Scottish island and the Middle Ages at the same monastery. Logan liked the medieval parts best. I (mama) liked all the references to real paintings and the idea that the artists (like Van Gogh, Seurat, and Turner) were Animare; people who can animate ...more
Sonnet Medrano
This is a completely imaginative series with an engaging plot and characters. The story focuses on Matt and Emily Calder, twins who are both Animare - those who can bring to life what they draw - and Guardian - those who can sense other's emotions and even control them, being important in helping the Animare control their powers. This combination of powers is considered dangerous by some, and a source of gain by others. While the children learn to use and control their increasing abilities, they ...more
Annette Jordan
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2015, fiction
A really excellent sequel to Hollow Earth. A childrens book with massive appeal that I happen to think would make a fantastic movie. The original idea behind Hollow Earth of being able to animate inside paintings is expanded upon and it seems that the twins can also use paintings to travel back in time to when they were painted, a talent that would make them seem even more dangerous to the Guardians who seek to bind their powers.
Well written with a plot that weaves through Scotland in the prese
Nina
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never given it much of my time to think about stories picking up right where we left off. With Bone Quill, it turned out I happened to like it. A lot. It made it possible to get straight to action and we get rewarded with one cliffhanger after the other!

On top of that, we get to know a great deal more about the characters and their history (some are REALLY surprising!!!). And as I kinda hoped for, we get to spend much more time at the Abbey and its surroundings during the Middle Ages.

And
Solstice
Amanda Kendall
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I read Hollow Earth with the attitude of "If anyone asks if I've read this, I'm probably going to lie." I enjoyed it, but it was definitely a children's book.

Bone Quill didn't have that feel. The pace was faster, the plot was darker, the characters developed more. The Solon arc was really interesting and mythos was really well developed.

The little crush Zach seems to have on Em is adorable and Matt was, frankly, obnoxious (in a plot-driven way, I would say, or at least in an organic "Gah, teen
Sarah A
While the beginning didn't jump right into crazy action, the story hooked me right back in and picked up pretty much where the first book left off. As the action built, and the different time periods hooked together, I was left wondering how it could possibly be resolved by the book's end. Suffice to say, it wasn't and I'm left with a cliffhanger that forces me to eagerly await the next installment. The story's characters aren't super developed, but it's a good read for middle grades.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Spymasters (The 39 Clues: The Cahill Files, #2-4)
  • Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3 (The Softwire #3)
  • The Ice Dragon (Underworlds, #4)
  • Apollo and the Battle of the Birds (Heroes in Training, #6)
  • The Waffler
  • The Unwilling Witch (A Monsterrific Tale, #3)
  • Another Life (Torchwood, #1)
  • The Legend Begins
  • First Born (Torchwood, #16)
  • Torchwood: Lost Souls
  • Hit the Road, Helen! (Myth-O-Mania, #9)
  • Doctor Who and the Carnival of Monsters
  • The Unicorn’s Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #4)
  • To Kill a Queen: An Elizabethan Girl's Diary 1583 -1586
  • The Glitter Trap (Oh My Godmother, #1)
  • The Chalice of Immortality (Magickeepers #3)
  • Impossible (Piercing the Veil, #3)
  • Time Shifters
John Barrowman was born in Scotland, and moved to Illinois when he was eight years old. He is bi-dialectal, doing much of his stage and acting work in his American accent, but speaking with family in his Scottish accent.

He moved back to Britain in 1989 when he was hired to play the lead in Anything Goes. He took on a number of West End roles, including the leads in Sunset Boulevard and Miss Saigo

Hollow Earth (3 books)