Start by marking “Dead: A Ghost Story” as Want to Read:
Dead: A Ghost Story

Dead: A Ghost Story

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  28 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A multicultural ghost story dealing with the immigrant experience, in which Nasreen -- the Indian-American protagonist -- grapples with her life and death in West Texas.

Author's Note: While my other stories are romances, to be specific genie romances, I wanted to write a simple, haunting ghost story for Halloween. I hope you enjoy the read.

This is a short story.
Published October 21st 2012 by Rashda Khan

To ask other readers questions about Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead

really liked it 4.00  ·

Laurie Garrison
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mina Khan, is known for great romance stories, but Dead: A Ghost Story is totally not a romance story. This is a short ghost story about an immigrant woman and her dead beat husband that was unfaithful and abused her. I really felt for Nasreen, so bad that I wanted to find the guy and beat him to a pulp LOL. I was surprised at for the detail and how easy it was to read. I really enjoyed this short story.
L. Shosty
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Now she is of even less substance than the fragile and forgotten cobweb hanging in the darkest corner of the house.”

Such a great line, and it’s representative of the lyrical prose of Mina Khan’s “Dead: A Ghost Story”. While it’s ostensibly a ghost story about a dead woman haunting her husband and his lover, Dead is mostly a story about the emotions/self-examination we experience when we see an ex behave in such an utterly different fashion with his/her new partner. While holding us enrapt in he
Susan
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How a propos that I read this story right before Halloween. Mina Khan presents a sexy, empowering, chilling short story in "Dead: A Ghost Story." Nasreen is a young wife whose luck ran short when her father promised her hand in marriage to Matin, a 'successful New York businessman' who returns to his motherland of Bangladesh in search of a wife. He's more than a decade older than Nasreen, who is a teenager when the two meet and marry. As it turns out, Matin is barely getting by in his cleaning b ...more
SN the Viking
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a short ghost story and would be pretty perfect as a Halloween story to get in the right mood. This was the first I have read from this author and her writing was very good and it had a nice flow. I think am going to pick up other books from this author in the future.

The story itself was also a bit exotic to me with people and culture from India, something I really liked. The female we follow is from India and has moved to the US after an arranged marriage to Martin. It is not a happy a
Jessica
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a sad, haunting tale that really had no happy ending. There was a lot of strings left untied and characters left behind but I think that was perhaps the purpose of the story. To give shivers and leave the reader a little haunted. The story was well written and vivid as it detailed the life and death of Nasreen, her slow release on everything she had been, and perhaps, finally moving toward the happiest ending she could obtain.
M.V. Freeman
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I know this author and she did not ask me to review.

I read this story and found it haunting and gritty.

This is a tale that tells the life of an Indian woman and the life she lives, agreeing to marry a man she does not love.

It is a ghost story--and it is bittersweet. Since it is a novella I can't tell you anymore.

Mina is a strong writer who can evoke sharp imagery and emotion. I highly recommend this.

I will be reading more from her.
Beckey
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A short story told in the POV of ghost of an immigrant woman who was married a very callous man who treated his wife in a distasteful manner.
The book was interesting just wish there was more and the ending had me questioning what was next but in my mind all I could think of Karma was going bite the man in the butt...
MaggieRR
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Actually, while reading, I considered that the author, Mina Khan, had the foundation for a novel. “Dead: A Ghost Story” is a very powerful read. Filled with emotion, there is a lot of depth packed in this short story. Matin, is a character who is difficult to read, let alone image, but necessary in order to make this tale come alive. Nasreen is a “true” heroine.
Tanaz
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story of a young wife who comes to haunt her husband a day after her death. Nasreen's voice as a ghost worked really well for this piece, her story poignant and all too familiar from a domestic abuse perspective.
Mary Roya
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love anything Mina Khan writes and this story is not exception. It is not a HEA (Happliy Ever After) story. It is about the ghost. It is really different and I liked it. It is however, very, very short. Mina, you have got to make your stories longer. Keep writing so I can keep reading.
Kelly
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. Sad, beautiful and complex at the same time.

I'll honestly read anything of Mina's because her writing voice captivates me, whatever the genre :)
Mehwish Mughal
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A sad tale of domestic violence. It spoke out loud and clear
Adam Ingle
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dead: A Ghost Story by Mina Khan is about Nasreen, a recently dead Indian woman whose incorporeal self seems to be anchored to her unfaithful, misogynistic husband Matin. Nasreen is coming to terms with her circumstances while reminiscing and lamenting the choices that led her to America and her current situation. The story is simple, but well written with a slight Hitchcokian element that seemed telegraphed a little too early in the story for my tastes, taking away from its potential impact. Ul ...more
Michele
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Poignant

Very interesting perspective and really wished this had been a full length book. Even as I cried while reading, having an all too familiar knowledge of the life Naseen endured, I wanted to know more of her journey. As always Mina Khan delivers an excellent read.
Buffy Armstrong
Oct 28, 2012
David
Jan 21, 2016
Dr.Dania Tauseef
rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2019
Michelle
Mar 20, 2013
Hrishikesh Pandharipande
Apr 01, 2013
Mina Khan is a Texas-based writer and food enthusiast. She daydreams of hunky paranormal heroes, magic, mayhem and mischief and writes them down as stories. Between stories, she teaches culinary classes and writes for her local newspaper. Other than that, she's raising a family of two children, two cats, two dogs and a husband.

She grew up in Bangladesh on stories of djinns, ghosts and monsters. Th