Start by marking “Vortex (Insignia, #2)” as Want to Read:
Vortex (Insignia, #2)

Vortex (Insignia #2)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  5,155 Ratings  ·  483 Reviews
The impossible was just the beginning. Now in their second year as superhuman government weapons-in-training at the Pentagonal Spire, Tom Raines and his friends are mid-level cadets in the elite combat corps known as the Intrasolar Forces. But as training intensifies and a moment arrives that could make or break his entire career, Tom’s loyalties are again put to the test. ...more
Published July 2nd 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Vortex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vortex

Unravel Me by Tahereh MafiThrough the Ever Night by Veronica RossiScarlet by Marissa MeyerProdigy by Marie LuEverbound by Brodi Ashton
2013 YA/MG Sequels
110 books — 818 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,569 books — 11,027 voters

More lists with this book...

Taschima
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 Spanking Full stars to one of the most undervalued series out there.

description

I suggest you ALL start reading Insignia right now. Soon enough it will be one of the most spoken about series out there, and you will be grateful that you were one of the first ones to discover it.

Another FREAKING FANTASTIC addition to the UNBELIEVABLY ADDICTIVE Insignia series by what I can only consider to be an evil genius (S.J.Kincaid). You know how they say you shouldn't oversell a series to a friend before they watch/re
Experiment BL626
I thought after the events of book 1 Tom would learn his lessons and be cautious and prudent in book 2. Nope. *anger eye-twitch* He acted the same as before. No character growth. No lessons learned. Dude was fucking TSTL.

*flips table*

Rambling rant ahead.

+ the main character

Tom pissed off every influential and powerful person he came across. He pissed off people he needed help from, people he couldn’t afford as enemies, people who could make his life very hard for him or put an end to his life
Esthela Gómez

This was me reading Vortex

description

Can't wait to read the next one!

Alice Cai
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-star-5-star, 5-star
4.75* (I like the first book better, but the pacing was better for this one.)

Summary of this series. Tom Raines is the main character. The setting takes place mainly in The Spire which is pretty much a VR boarding school. Funny and very character driven series which I realized more after reading this 2nd book.

Wow the ending was so good. Tom is awesome as always. I took a long time to read this because I keep having to stop because of schoolwork. Tip to anyone who sees this review try to binge th
Daph (Loving Books)
Oct 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: sci-fi
YES YES YES

Sana
Just so damn good!
Zunaira Ghazal
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This, right here? Yeah, its almost better than divergent.

So throughout the book I had this uncanny feeling that I was reading some other version of HP. The spire was Hogwarts, Tom was Harry, Enslow was Hermione and Blackburn was a weird combo of Prof, Solomon from GG series ad Snape from HP. But you know what? It made it a thousand times more epic! Because HP was a cultural phenomenon and this might be next!

it started off as Tom being this prideful idiot! But by the end, I UNDERSTOOD why he was
Julianna Helms
Quick reaction:

So good. SO GOOD. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

also oh my god my name was in the acknowledgments holy crap thank you so much SJ i<3you

alsoalso hey guys so imma give away a copy of this
Reading is my Escape
Book 2 in the Insignia series

That was the thing about real life. Video games could be reset. There were second chances.
- Chapter 14

Book two in the World War III Insignia series is as thrilling as the first book. This series explores themes of power, corruption, friendship, and loyalty. Evil cooperations control everything, from the water and food to the war. Tom and his friends have computers in their heads and they are controlled by the government (which is controlled by the corporations).
david y biblioflick

The Vortex sucks a thousand stars (that sound negative). Rating:4.5 stars

So Tom is going back to the Spire, as Middle. So there are new classes to take and new rooms to explorer (liked the really leveled up in games). Like Insignia, the classes are just something to let us know the character of a character in this book that have characters (of course). The main story is focused on Tom against the Obsidian and Dominion Agra. I got to say, this is way much better than the first book, the some ch
Valeria Iacovone
There's this quote from the last page I really liked and it summarizes pretty much this book, the next one and Tom: "...then Tom was about to give them an inferno"

Increíble. Me encantó. Excelente. AWESOME. Este libro es waaaay better than Insignia. Tom sigue siendo super stubborn y orgulloso y todo eso, pero me agrada más. Se está poniendo hecho y derecho, y en el próximo libro va a patear unos buenos traseros. Y no puedo esperar para leer eso. Septiembre apurate, por favor.
El plot me parece ge
Ashley
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, won, signed, physical-arc
BookNook — Young Adult book reviews

3.5 Stars

Vortex didn't quite have the same magic for me that Insignia did. It was still a good book, it just didn't have me screaming and shrieking like an excited, insane girl. Vortex had a bit of a slower start and I didn't get fully sucked into the book until half way or 3/4 of the way through.

I kind of had a love/hate relationship with Tom in this book. He definitely came across very immature at times. It almost made me wonder, Was he always like this a
Shelley
*Genre* YA, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

15-year old Thomas Raines, trainee for the US Intrasolar Forces, is back in the sequel to Insignia. This time around, the dangers are more pronounced, the villains are out in the open, the odds are getting increasingly more challenging, and Tom will stand with his friends (Vikram Ashwan, Wyatt Enslow, and Yuri Sysevich) against the Coalition of Multinational Corporations who controls the globe and determines whether or not you are able to bec
Christina
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Raines is now a Middle at the Pentagonal Spire. Along with it comes many roles and responsibilities. He is exposed to an armoury filled with suits and weapons. He faces meet-and-greets with the multinational corporations in attempts at obtaining a sponsor. His meetings with Medusa are becoming more dangerous as they risk revealing what they can do. There are mysterious security breaches at the Spire. A new power-hungry foe is introduced and he will stop at nothing to get what he wants.

Vorte
Sebastian Alanya Hartley
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Just WOW. This is waaaaay better than insignia. I LOVED IT
Maud
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually a 4.5 because I felt like Tom was too stubborn sometimes but the plot was once again amazing!
Gary
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this series even though its meant for the Y.A and I don't normally go for theses sort of books four out of five stars
sierra ☂
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This was an incredible sequel to Insignia and I honestly don't have words for how much I love these characters?? The long wait that I had to endure to get my hands on this book was more than worth it. I wish that more people would give this series a shot. I'm in awe right now and can't find the right words so I'm going to do a good old list of things that I loved.

(view spoiler)
○ WYATT. SHE'S SUCH A CINNAMON ROLL, I LOVE HER SM
○ Medusa wreaking h
Kelly (Belle of the Literati)
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. LOVED the continuation of this story. Lots of twists and (very) unexpected turns! Full review to come <3

"You outrank me.
You shouldn't call me 'Sir.' "
--SJ Kincaid, Vortex

I love me some sci-fi. I mean, seriously. The science talk. The geek vibe. The battles. Everything I love about sci-fi and Insignia was present in Vortex. All our characters are back in full swing…and with a lot of surpises.

The plot of Vortex picks up and continues to show us how this war is being fought. With
Katie_la_geek
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For this review and more visit my blog

I am a big fan the first book in this series and so I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Vortex. It didn’t disappoint and was just as good as Insignia.

Tom and his friends have spent the summer away from the pentagonal spire but now they are back together again for their second year. Everything starts well but it soon becomes clear that someone is working against the pentagonal spire. Loyalties and friendships are tested as Tom tries to find a way to do what’s
Heyitsmachey
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WARNING! Spoilers Ahead!

I really liked this book. Usually I have a little bit of wariness before reading a sequel because I'm afraid they won't stand up to the first book. This isn't the case for the Insignia Trilogy however. Time and again I am surprised by the things Kincaid pulls out of her hat just to shake things up a bit. Although I did enjoy this book I did also have some problems with it. Tom's dignity has gotten to the point of stupidity. I mean, if by this point in the story we don't k
Carla Dente
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mis-favoritos
OMG, OMG, OMG *corre en círculos de felicidad*, no tienen idea de cuanto quería leer este libro, es que Insignia me había gustado un montón y este prometía ser igual o mejor que el primero... Así que cuando tuve Vortex en mis manos, mis emociones simplemente explotaron.

Me metí en la historia muy fácilmente, ya que comienza prácticamente en donde terminó la novela anterior. Me emocionaba mucho ver como iba a seguir esta historia que, en realidad, no dejaba muchos cabos sueltos como para esperar q
April
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
It’s kind of fun to read a sequel to a book you read last year right around the same time. Last year, over the summer, I read Insignia by SJ Kincaid and found myself really enjoying it, except for not being a huge fan of the main character because he was kind of annoying. This year, I’m sinking my teeth into Vortex, the sequel to Insignia mainly because when Allison came over to my apartment, she practically stole Vortex right out of there, so that was the incentive I needed to get through it fa ...more
yueyang
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
So Tom wants to be a CAMCO, but he is in trouble. The sponsors don't want to take him in. His relationship with Medusa is waning and waxing, and he is torn in a choince. Will he pull off a plan to get up to a CAMCO, or will he be a person treated as a machine.
Vortex was good. Very good. Until the end. I am so mad that Tom had done such a betrayal. I wanted to chuck this book out as I read it, and only my love of the care of books had I composed myself not to chuck it. Acutally, I will compose my
C.P. Cabaniss
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The second installment in this trilogy left me just as impressed as the first one. Kincaid has created a cast of characters that consistently make me laugh and have me rooting for them every step of the way. Tom is able to surprise me with his antics, even after how he handled everything in the first one. He can be abrasive, but I appreciate the fact that he doesn't want to bend for the corruption around him.

There were so many great moments in this book. And the ending was incredible. It defini
Andres Becerra
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó bastante esta segunda parte. Tiene partes demasiado buenas y desgarradoras.
Aquí vemos como el personaje principal sigue madurando, y para mejor, es uno de mis personajes favoritos literarios.
Una lectura bastante rápida. Pero aún así sigue siendo mejor "Insignia", su primera parte.
Lo que me gustó muchísimo de "Vortex", es que te sigue enseñando este USA del futuro y también otra cualidad bastante buena es este libro te hace encariñarte con los personajes de la novela.
Una trilogía que h
Denise
Oct 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
O.M.G. Worst. Book. Ever. Spineless characters, stupid story, and super lame ending. Kincaid, I know you only wrote this so that I'd buy your next book to see how you end it. But guess what? I could care less what happens to these "people". Do not waste your time reading this book.
Matías G.B.
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pensé que Insignia no podía ser superado...
Paz
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMO ESTOS LIBROS. L O S A M O.
En serio, son una de las mejores trilogías juveniles jamás publicadas. No puedo creer que sea tan poco conocida.
Tiene personajes re carismáticos, un humor que te hace llorar de la risa (posta, incluso más que Percy Jackson), acción, y una trama que no subestima para nada a sus lectores.
Porfis denles una oportunidad <3
Shae McDaniel
Innnnntense
Mansfield Public ...: "Vortex Review" 1 6 Aug 15, 2014 10:39AM
Goodreads Librari...: Two Books Exist 4 69 Oct 22, 2012 12:45PM
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • The Dark Shore (The Atlanteans, #2)
  • Invisible Sun (Hell's Cross, #2)
  • BZRK: Reloaded (BZRK, #2)
  • SYLO (The SYLO Chronicles, #1)
  • The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos, #2)
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Psion Gamma (Psion, #2)
  • The Academy (Steel Trapp, #2)
  • Stronger: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #6)
  • Don't Look Now (PERSEF0NE, #2)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • This Strange and Familiar Place (So Close to You, #2)
  • Passenger (The Marbury Lens, #2)
  • Bubble World
  • The Life Beyond (The Other Life, #2)

Insignia (3 books)
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Catalyst (Insignia, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
“If I met a horse that looked like you, I’d find that horse attractive.” 23 likes
“Your head could fit in the muzzle of this thing," Vik said, awestruck. "Seriously. Come on and let's see."

"I'm not sticking my head in a cannon thing. Stick your own head in."

"I have highly temperamental hair. It'll get nestlike. You don't care when your hair gets nestlike, Tom. You can't possibly.”
15 likes