Start by marking “AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers” as Want to Read:
AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers

AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers

(AfroSF #1)

'Proposition 23' by Efe Okogu nominated for the 2013 BSFA awards.

TOC:
'New Mzansi' Ashley Jacobs
'Az
ebook
Published December 1st 2012 by StoryTime

To ask other readers questions about AfroSF, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AfroSF

Start your review of AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers
Elle (ellexamines)
This is a historic collection of afrofuturistic literature written primarily by bloggers. I was assigned several of these for a class and thus have not finished reading this collection. Here are some reviews of the stories in this collection that I have, in fact, read.

The Sale by Tendai Huchu → ★★★☆☆
A story of a world overtaken by bureaucracy. Genuinely liked and appreciated the commentary of this story. Really think that when writing a story about a population being brutally repressed, you sho
seak
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review
This is a science fiction anthology solely by African authors and hence from an African perspective. Not only did this spark my interest, but one of the authors, Dave de Burgh, is a fellow blogger and all-around stand up kind of guy. He's the reason I wanted to at least read a couple of the stories in this anthology. I feel like if bloggers can make exceptions for their harsh no-indie-published-books rules, it should be for other bloggers.

I don't have lots of time and I'm already far behind in
Ivor Hartmann
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It has been a real honour to edit and publish AfroSF, the very first pan-African SciFi anthology. I am proud of all the stories in this anthology and the remarkable journey we have made together to publish it. I couldn't have imagined an anthology of this strength, uniqueness, and quality of work, when I first embarked on this project in 2011 with nothing more than a hope and a dream. We have created an anthology that will forever be in the history books of African literature, and literature as ...more
Kalin
Diverse and often breathtakingly well-written. So much so it makes me wonder if I should consider African SF part of non-English SF at all (and thus put it on my World SF shelf). None of the stories here included a translator credit.

Most memorable moments:

Nerine Dorman
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
It’s always gratifying to see literary offerings that give genre fiction’s upcoming talents more exposure; of all the continents, Africa presents us with a very different lens with which to view the world—especially refreshing for those of us who’ve grown up with a US- or UK-centric world view.

The AfroSF anthology brings together a broad cross-section of writing, ranging from first-timers to seasoned African writers, with tales ranging from stark, dystopian futures to rollicking space operas. T
Antonia
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fantastic effort. Some stories definitely stood out for me, loved most of them. There were also some I wish would develop into a larger story. Can't wait for the next edition.
Stafford Battle
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I constantly hunt for collections of speculative short stories featuring themes and characters with an Africa flavor. I was excited to discover AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers edited by Ivor W. Hartmann. AfroSF presents 22 noteworthy and emerging authors who are Africans living on the continent and throughout the world.

I have read or been involved with other sci-fi collections such as Genesis: An Anthology of Black Science Fiction (Black Science Fiction Society); Dark Matter: Reading
Liz Henry
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Super awesome book of short stories. Lots of mid-apocalypse writing.

Many writers that I want to look up. It would be nice to go back through the book, list the authors, and add them all to my to-read list if they have novels!
Roddy Williams
I often wonder what became of Victor Sabah. Back in the 1970s, Elaine and Larry Elbert spent two years in Ghana teaching for the American Peace Corps at the curiously named Hohoe Secondary School. Due to a chronic shortage of books there they appealed (not to any church organisation who would doubtless have sent truckloads of Bibles) but to the Science Fiction Writers of America, who supplied copious reading matter for the students’ edification. As a result Victor Sabah was so inspired he wrote ...more
Amanda
This is pretty much what the title states: science fiction written by African writers. It's an interesting mix of time travel, planetary exploraion, differing viewpoints, and dystopias. I really liked most of the stories in here (I'm terrible when I read short story anthologies on my kindle -- I don't take note of authors and titles, and as such I forget them when I go to review the anthology as a whole).

I really really enjoyed the novella at the end, and I know I've picked up a whole bunch of
Tyrannosaurus regina
This is really good. Really really good. All different kinds of stories from all different kinds of people and all different kinds of places throughout the continent. One thematic element I found interesting was how many of the stories mixed hard SF with spirituality, and how well they did it. (And it was amazing and wondrous to see in an anthology of this quality how many of the stories are the writers' first publications.)
womanist bibliophile
There were startlingly original ideas in some of these selections and I would recommend this anthology for those passionate about or intrigued by the nexus of Afro/sci-fi.
Thomas Hale
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am so, so glad I picked this up. A meaty anthology of short SF stories, with styles and influences ranging from high-concept what-if stories to soft, pulpy SF to grubby cyberpunk and transhumanism. A lot of these stories are the authors' first published work, and the quality fluctuates from piece to piece, but there were only a few I would call boring. It's really interesting as a white-as-hell English guy to see familiar tropes combined with unfamiliar names and places. Especially as many of ...more
Tiah
Apr 02, 2014 added it

- She'd always loved her smooth skin but now it became impenetrable, its colour now golden like the light the New People gave off. The colour the reminded her of another life where she could both enjoy the water and endure the sun and the air. - 'Moom' by Nnedi Okorafor

- No one knows she's here. She could get lost down here, disappear forever, absorbed by the ghosts of bureaucrats past. - 'Home Affairs' by Sarah Lotz

- I rate the pain five out of ten and akin to a bright blue candle burning insid
Heather
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AfroSF Science Fiction by African Writers is a decent-sized anthology filled with wonderful stories by African writers. I often end up giving anthologies a 4/5 simply because not all stories will appeal to all readers. But I genuinely felt the stories in here were worth a 5/5.

There’s a Nnedi Okorafor story in here, “Moom!”, which is charming and fun. The main character is a swordfish!

Sarah Lotz’s “Home Affairs” is a great look at how automating certain civil service jobs could end poorly.

Tendai
behemothing
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice and timely collection, I'm really glad this exists. I particularly enjoyed the ones that focus on bureaucracy, corruption, and state/nation affiliation. I am not really a short story person, but I will certainly keep an eye out for full lengths by some of these authors.
Matthew
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I respect that good reads gives us five stars and no half stars. It makes you reflect a bit more on what you read and why you are giving it that rating.

This is a collection of science fiction written by African writers. They are mixed, white and Black, male and female. Whoever curated the collection did a nice job of finding a diverse group of authors.

I'm not a scifi junkie. I like, it don't love it, but I think that puts me in a minority. I think most people love it or hate it. These stories a
Nicholas Whyte
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

Lots of good stories here, some by writers who I had heard of, many that I hadn't. One or two fell slightly flat, sticking too close to standard sf tropes without bringing much extra to them. But most of them were very good - there is an early pairing of "Home Affairs" by Sarah Lotz and "The Sale" by Tendai Huchu which both look at bureaucracy; "Azania", by Nick Woods, looks at colonisation both in the sfnal and geopolitical senses; "Brandy City", by Mia
Niccolò Ceresa
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It is difficult to rate an anthology of several different authors; however I find this book quite interesting and, let's say, useful.

The leit motif of almost all the stories is a depressing, negative and overly bureocratic future: this give a bad signal on how they see the future of Africa, a continuation of its current present with no possibilities of improvement.

Some stories were very well written and deserve to be ampliated in a single book (the most notable is Resolution 23 of Efe Tobunko),
Michael
Diverse and sprawling overview of African science fiction and speculation, heavy on Nigerian and South African writers, many of them young and previously unpublished. There is some really good stuff here and some mediocre items. One piece that grated on me is the sometimes careless editing including misspelled names of characters and obvious typos. It detracts from my enjoyment of some of the more innovative pieces.
Jon
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A collection of SF short stories with a different POV. As with most anthologies you probably won't enjoy every story but I enjoyed most of them. And a couple of them were really, really good.
Samaa Ahmed
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very well done. This anthology presents a unique approach of sci-fi, complete with critiques of imperialism, the quirks of postcolonialism and bureaucracy, magical realism, and a remix of traditional narratives.
Jenny Thompson
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Like any anthology, this collection had its ups and downs. Overall though, it was a grand adventure, and I really enjoyed getting to experience a new flavor of SF. I'm recommending a few of these stories to my book club for next year.
Jaime
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty great African SF stories

Like most anthologies there are gems and duds in this book, but the good stories greatly outweigh the not great ones. Even the not great ones are good enough not to skip.
M'heeraw
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
it was a key down overal. I had to push myself to finish it.
Rebecca
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great ride. Some I wanted to stay in longer, others were the perfect length. Recommended
Heather
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
"AfroSF is the first ever anthology of Science Fiction by African writers only that was open to submissions of original (previously unpublished) works across Africa and abroad."

Short story collections take me so long to read.  I've had this book on my iPad for years. Here are some of my favorites.

Moom by Nnedi Okorafor - This is the short story that was reworked into the opening of her novel Lagoon.  What if alien first contact on Earth was made by a swordfish?

Home Affairs by Sarah Lotz - I lov
Morgan Dhu
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
In his introduction to the anthology, editor Ivor Hartmann says: "SciFi is the only genre that enables African writers to envision a future from our African perspective. Moreover, it does this in a way that is not purely academic and so provides a vision that is readily understandable through a fictional context. The value of this envisioning for any third-world country, or in our case continent, cannot be overstated nor negated. If you can’t see and relay an understandable vision of the future, ...more
Scott Neigh
This is the first anthology of sf short stories by writers from (though not necessarily currently living in) continental Africa. As with any multi-author anthology, the individual stories varied in terms of how well they worked for me, but the collection includes some really great pieces and it encompasses a remarkable range of kinds of sf and kinds of stories. If you are a fan of sf short fiction, this is worth a read.
Michael
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Very interesting, and offers some vastly different perspectives. On the other hand, the stories are a bit of a mixed bag -- some are excellent, others are less impressive. It would also have been great to have seen works from Francophone or Lusophone (or Arabic-speaking) counties as well as Anglophone ones.
African Science F...: Getting to know African authors 1 11 Dec 03, 2013 05:04AM

• For He Can Creep
  • The Icarus Girl
  • Invisible Planets: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation
  • DeEvolution: Feminism's Reverse Engineering Of American Women
  • Steampunk Writers Around the World, Volume One
  • A Song Below Water (A Song Below Water, #1)
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Race to the Sun
  • The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #2)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Disability Visibility : First-Person Stories from the Twenty-first Century
  • Peasprout Chen, Future Legend of Skate and Sword (Book 1)
  • Invisible: How Young Women with Serious Health Issues Navigate Work, Relationships, and the Pressure to Seem Just Fine
  • Little Fish
  • Give Me Your Heart
  • Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
  • Spellhacker
  • Recoil
Ivor W. Hartmann is a Zimbabwean writer, editor, publisher, and visual artist. Awarded The Golden Baobab Prize (2009), finalist for the Yvonne Vera Award (2011), selected for The 20 in Twenty: The Best Short Stories of South Africa’s Democracy (2014), and awarded Bronze in the Jalada Prize for Literature (2015). His works have appeared in many publications. He runs the StoryTime micro-press, publi ...more

AfroSF (3 books)