Start by marking “Screwed (Daniel McEvoy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Screwed (Daniel McEvoy, #2)

Screwed

(Daniel McEvoy #2)

The second crime novel by internationally bestselling writer Eoin Colfer is a gritty and utterly compelling follow-up to the critically acclaimed Plugged In Screwed, Colfer adds and entirely new chapter to the adventures and misadventures of Daniel McEvoy, the down-on-his-luck Irish bouncer at a seedy New Jersey bar who, with the help of a motley crew of unlikely character ...more
Published May 2nd 2013 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Screwed, please sign up.
Victor I had the chance to ask this question directly to Eoin Colfer last year at the Miami Book Fair. He was somewhat surprised as the crowd was mostly…moreI had the chance to ask this question directly to Eoin Colfer last year at the Miami Book Fair. He was somewhat surprised as the crowd was mostly there for the Artemis books, but he thanked me and answered that he does indeed plan to continue the McEvoy series.(less)

Jim
Not really a 4 star read, more of a 3.5 for the plot & all, but it was so damn funny. The narrator was great & there's something about an Irish accent that can make the most ridiculous situations seem almost reasonable. Great turns of phrase, too.

Dan is a born loser with the knack of being in the wrong place at just the right time to make sure he pisses off the maximum amount of people & have any action come back to haunt him. Further more, his decisions aren't always the best. He's
bookczuk
Found this book the day after I re-heard this joke:
A traveller who is a huge fan of seafood arrives in Boston for the first time. He leaves the airport and hails a cab. After he gets in, he excitedly says to the cabbie, "Hey, I'm new in town. Can you tell me a good place to go to get scrod?" The cabbie replies [in a thick Boston accent], "Pal, I've got to congratulate you. I've heard that question a lot over the years, but that's the first time I've ever heard it in the pluperfect subjunctive."
J.J. Toner
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another tour de force by a master writer. "Screwed" is the sequel to "Plugged" and it's every bit as good. In fact the plot is stronger, and, believe it or not, there are way more wisecracks/witticisms to the inch. The narrative voice is really strong and I love the way the narrator does rolling self-critiques of his word choices throughout. If I had a criticism of the book, it would be that the admixture of New-York-speak and Irishisms left me floundering here and there. I'm hoping Google will ...more
Rob Kitchin
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Screwed is a screwball noir that rattles along a quick clip, with McEvoy pinging from one dose of slapstick violence and gallows humour to another. Colfer has an engaging voice and the narrative is witty and sassy, with a number of laugh out loud moments. As with all comic crime capers the plot is a little ridiculous and the characters lean towards caricature, but that’s a key part of what makes them work. Colfer sets out a series of quirky plot strands then weaves together to form a story full ...more
Ghostxbiscuit
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY GOD!
This year has too many amazing books, but this one... I almost fell out of my window, I was laughing so hard.
If you've followed the last Artemis Fowl novels you'll have noticed how Eoin Colfer's writing has evolved and in this book it just culminates into pure bliss. I mean... "forest gumping down the street". There's so many phrases in this book that just made it an utter joy to read. I'm really sad it's over.
The suspense at times was actually killing me, who needs food when you need
Tony
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
SCREWED. (2013). Eoin Colfer. **.
I am a big noir fan, but this reflection of noir as shown to us by the author via a cracked, giggly mirror goes too far. It’s a textbook example of a derivative novel based on exaggeration of individual parts of the real things. What also becomes annoying is the author’s habit of repeating and then analyzing a ‘zinger’ line after he’s used it so that we’re sure to get it – just in case we didn’t the first time around. It’s part two of his series that started off
Woody Chandler
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
It was okay. I read it and "Plugged" back-to-back so I had a sense of continuity, but the ongoing interiority with a marginal narrator at the helm began to leave me cold. This is a series that could end where it stands, unlike "Terriers" & I would be fine as is.
Monica
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eoin Colfer has described his young adult series as "'Die Hard with fairies.’”

So it's kind of easy to imagine what his adult fiction will be - gritty, snarky, violent and hilarious for starts. Somebody else has called it screwball noir, but that doesn't quite do it justice. There are elements of both, but there is also really great writing and unforgettable characters with laugh out loud moments on every other page.

Dan McEvoy is an ex-Irish army veteran of a peacekeeping mission in the Lebanon
Brenda Ayala
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Eoin Colfer shines with adult literature just as much as he does with children's. I loved Artemis Fowl, and now I love Dan McEvoy. He's a run-down Irish bouncer who gets the shit end of the stick over and over.

The sarcasm and assholery of this book is what makes it great. The shenanigans make it great. Dan running around in a pink sequined thong for a majority of the book is hilarious. I don't know how it was for others reading the book, but that was a constant undercurrent that would have me ch
Danny
My friend Laura wrote a great review of this novel and the audiobook which I agree with in every way. So I am going to quote her review below. This was a fun, relaxing, easy read. Maybe 3.5 stars for me rather than the 4 I gave plugged for the reasons in Laura's first paragraph:

"if you liked Plugged, you'll like Screwed. The books aren't identical, though -- this story is a little campier, and quite a bit more self-referential. I also think I liked Ghost Zeb better than real Zeb, and definitely
Shelli
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: big-people-books
Entertaining sequel in the Daniel McEvoy series about an ex-Irish Army sergeant, who mistakenly thought his days of combate and reconnaissance were behind him. Daniel’s life is screwed; sometimes nearly literally while being forced to star in a twisted snuff film. Is there any way to make it out alive, save those closest to him and possibly get the girl??
Aaron
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Good. Funny. Crass. Not as good as the first because it did not tie up the loose ends as well, leaving it open for more books of course. Just as hilarious as the first though. Warning, this series is not a young adult series. Swears and murder most foul (fowl, get it? Same author as Artemis Fowl)
Jenna
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
When I tried to look up the plot summary online, there wasn’t anything solid. (most referred to it as “the further adventures of Daniel McEvoy” )
But I kept listening, again b/c I’m a sucker for the Irish accent & b/c I did like the first one in the series so I wanted to find out what happens to the character. (Daniel McEvoy)

This second one in the series is a bit more crude in language than the first one.
It’s also more adult.

The characters of Zeb, Mrs. Sophia Delano (his now girlfriend), cop
Randal
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Not a bad little tough-guy novel but it feels like Colfer has wrung everything he's going to out of Daniel McEvoy. As it's five years and counting since this came out with no McEvoy #3, it seems like Colfer and/or his publisher agree.
It leans a little too heavily on McEvoy's Irish Army experience and a will-they-or-won't-they romance with the upstairs neighbor, neither of which move McEvoy along as a character (he's out of the army and the romance is one of those designed to keep the reader in s
Neil Szigethy
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I never read the prequel to this book, but it really didn't matter. This was a hoot! I listened to this novel as an audio book, and the voice talent – John Keating – was superb. It's been a long time since I listened to/read a laugh-out-loud book, and this was one. The interplay between Dan McEvoy and his plastic surgeon buddy was particularly hilarious. This novel was described as a mix of the Coen Brothers and Carl Hiaasen, and that really does sum it up well. Why no 5-star rating? It did drag ...more
Hannah Givens
I know the first one was meant to be funny, but I found it more just "light." This second one takes a turn into the zany madcap. On multiple occasions I found myself wondering if Dan was dreaming, but he wasn't. The zaniness makes for a pretty engaging plot, though, and it's combined with heavy domestic-abuse themes in the present and in flashbacks. An odd and sometimes nerve-wracking read, but I'm still sad there aren't more of these. They're different from other thrillers, not to mention Colfe ...more
Ivy Pavlova
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Hadn't read the other one so I'm new to Dan's superb interior monologue, which was (consequently?) by far the best thing about this book for me. To be honest, I felt the 'hilariousness' getting a bit old by the end, but it is genuinely laugh-out-loud funny on pretty much every page, which is probably reason enough for anyone to read it. Anyone with a dark sense of humour, I should probably say. It's also pretty grisly.

It does more-or-less stand alone, but there's one spoilerific sentence that ca
Daniel
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read. A little salty. But given the narrative, it fits. John Keating narrates the audiobook and does a fantastic job (as he did with Plugged). There were several laugh-out-loud funny moments; few books I've read lately have managed to capture as many from-the-gut true laughs.

The plot is well constructed and loose ends are accounted for. Elements come back to finish each other up and there are not throwaway characters like in other books of the thriller variety. The jokes are well timed and
Andrew
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ucbc
Wry and funny - at times laugh-out-loud funny - with fun characters, but the plot didn't thrill me. And I always struggle with these "good guy assassin" characters, especially in this case with the back-flips the author employs to have all kinds of death and carnage surround the main character, while yet preserving his "good-guy-ness" by having all these other ne'er-do-wells managing to find ways to do themselves and each other in, (oops!) thus keeping the blood off our good-guy-killer's hands.

I
Jane
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-finished
Terrible! Pains me to say that because I love this author and really enjoyed Plugged, the first book in this series. Was doubtful after the first 5 pages of this one because the humor from the narrator was no longer effortless, instead felt very forced and vulgar. Just got worse with every few pages. The characters, so well formed in Plugged, become caricatures of themselves. Made it to page 50 and by then the scene was so over the top, and unnecessarily offensive, that I decided not to bother g ...more
Terynce
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I laughed. I think the first one was better, but this was a solid followup. I'd read the next one, if there was a next one. It might have stretched the limits of absurdity a little bit, which is similar to what I said about the first one. Writing it off as artistic whimsy.
Neil
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
This was OK. I think Eoin was trying to be too funny and every line had to be a joke or innuendo. Got a bit much at times. Saying that the story was completely unrealistic but a lot of fun. Never knew what was happening next and that was what you wanted in this book.
Yves Martin
Noir humoristique très drôle par moments, mais qui ressemble davantge à un assemblage épars de moments loufoques. Une très mauvais journée pour le héros! J’aurais aimé lire dans la version anglophone d’origine.
Alice
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lol
Info
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Write faster, dammit.
Rachel
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. It was so long ago I read the first book that I didn't remember anything, but that didn't matter. I wish there were more of these coming.
Sheri Howard
Zany, unconventional, and, at times, laugh-out-loud funny.
Lynn Sinclair
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Odd book, but I was interested enough in it to get to the end. It was the type of book you tell yourself just to go along for the ride. Which I did obviously since I didn't quit.
Ris
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not sure how it's possible, but funnier than Plugged!
Kaw
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am in need of more ! These characters and stories are so fun. Im literally the chick from the audio book commercials crying laughing as i drive to work.
Goodreads Librari...: Screwed editions to be combined 2 15 Nov 12, 2015 10:52AM
  • The Chaos Protocol
  • Meltwater (Fire & Ice, #3)
  • The Risen
  • The Iggy Chronicles, Volume One (Chet and Bernie Mystery 0.2)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox, #9)
  • Oscar Wilde and the Murders at Reading Gaol
  • Even (David Trevellyan, #1)
  • The Axe Factor (Jimm Juree #3)
  • Mortal Bonds (Jason Stafford, #2)
  • The Taken (Hazel Micallef Mystery #2)
  • Hell's Bay (Thorn, #10)
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • The Rules of Wolfe
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • The Minotaur
  • The Almost Assassin (Circle of Spies, #0.5)
  • Heads You Die (Young Bond, #7)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A

Daniel McEvoy (2 books)
  • Plugged (Daniel McEvoy, #1)
“Nobody ever got rich by wearing a heart on their sleeve, unless it was someone else's heart.” 3 likes
“Maybe I'm just gonna kill you," says Mike, peeved at being predictable. "You ever think of that?"

"No, Mike. Because if you wanted me dead, then four or five of your guys would be in the hospital and I'd have a flesh wound. Maybe.”
0 likes