Start by marking “Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)

Lola and the Boy Next Door

(Anna and the French Kiss #2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  160,626 ratings  ·  15,250 reviews
There is an alternate cover edition for this ISBN13 here.

Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out
Published July 9th 2013 by Speak (first published September 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lola and the Boy Next Door, please sign up.
Aleeza Athar I had a similar question before reading this novel and the answer is: Yes, it is. It isn't about the same characters but it's about a girl who works w…moreI had a similar question before reading this novel and the answer is: Yes, it is. It isn't about the same characters but it's about a girl who works with Anna. Anna and Etienne appear a lot in the novel as Lola's friends. Also, if you want to know what happened to them after Anna and the French Kiss, you should definitely read this. Hope i helped. (less)
Bookworm In Distress I am Greek, so I can help. It's pronounced Ca lee oh pee (lee like in the name Lisa). …moreI am Greek, so I can help. It's pronounced Ca lee oh pee (lee like in the name Lisa). (less)
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. MaasWinter by Marissa MeyerEmpire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
DYING TO READ
961 books — 1,248 voters
Thoughtless by S.C. StephensBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireUndeniable by Madeline SheehanLover Eternal by J.R. WardThe Mighty Storm by Samantha Towle
YOUR CHEATING HEART
277 books — 461 voters

More lists with this book...

·  160,626 ratings  ·  15,250 reviews

Start your review of Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)
Sophia.
Oh, gosh. I really cannot understand all the good reviews for this book (even if half of them were given BEFORE the book actually came out, which, if you ask me, is completely stupid). To say it's overrated is an understatement.

This book is such a huge disappointment. I guess this is a typical example of what happens when you fantasize so much about something that you've actually built up this ideal in your mind... which has nothing to do with reality, sadly. Careful people, spoilers ahead.

I'd
tonya.
Here's the thing. I think Stephanie Perkins is in my head. Or at least my daydreams. How else could she consistently write characters that seem to be tailor-made to hit my flutter buttons? Etienne for my anglophilia, Max for my tattooed, Buddy Holly glasses wearing (view spoiler) rocker boy, and Cricket. Cricket for everything I've ever wanted in a real boy.

Because that's the beauty of Lola and the Bo
Flannery
Did you read Anna and the French Kiss?:
A.YES, I loved it!
B.YES, it was okay.
C.YES, and I didn’t like it.
D.NO, but I intend to.
E.NO, it’s not for me.

If you picked A, B, or D, please proceed to review #1.
If you picked C or E, please proceed to review #2.
__________________________________________________
Review #1:
LOVE! This book is fun, fun, fun (til her daddy takes the T-bird away). It has a very similar feeling to its companion novel Anna and the French Kiss—a teenage girl who already has a boyf
Lyndsey
Set to "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow.

Her name is Lo-la. She's a steal-the-show girl.
With purple stripeys in her hair, wearing leggings worthy of Cher.
She's friends with Etienne, and of course, with An-na.
The boy next door draws on his hand, and Lola yearns to understand.
Across their midnight lawn, they talked from dusk til dawn.
They were young and needed each other.
But did the boy next door want more?

At Lola's, Lola Nolan's Casa.
The hottest thing since Etienne and Anna!
At Lola's, Lola Nolan's Ca
Ariana
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: next-door

I'm definitely going to burn in hell..
Oh, that awkward moment when everybody loves a book and you don't understand why... You know that feeling, right? Well, yeah, I'm pretty much living it.

It's not that I DIDN'T LIKE the book, it's just that I didn't LIKE it.. Does it make any sense to you, because for me there is a whole damn big difference.

Anyways, this is not Anna's book-sister, this is more like the evil stepsister.. It  actually managed to  raise my blood pressure, unfortunately not in
jessica
finally getting around to writing a review for this because it came up in conversation and i just now realised what never clicked for me.

yes, this is a light and fluffy story. i didnt find it problematic like i did with ‘anna,’ so thats a good thing. but i never connected with the characters and i finally just figured out why.

i appreciate authors trying to make their characters quirky. i get it. everyone has something that makes them awkward and weird. quirky characters are opportunities for re
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
*4.5 stars
Not as good as anna but still very enjoyable!
Emily May
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Yay for warm fuzzies. Stephanie Perkins has a talent and that talent is for making me happy, allowing me to enjoy the entire reading experience, laugh at times and come away with no deep sense of revelation - just the knowledge that I will have to get my hands on whatever she writes next. Her writing may be light and mostly meaningless but it achieves one of the greatest things a book possibly can: fun.

And that's just it... this book is silly, mindless fun. I'm not sure why some people who e
Christine Riccio
adorable and wonderful! didn't want to put it down =) ...more
Tatiana
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Limonessa
The thing about Lola and the boy next door is that, since it's a companion book, it's inevitable to make a comparison with Anna and the French Kiss which, in this case, comes out as a disadvantage because, as far as I am concerned, Anna is the absolute winner.

Lola is a really cute story: she is a quirky, raised by gay parents, unique teenage girl.
When her first crush and ex-neighbor, Cricket, reappears on her doorstep after two years, things get complicated because Lola already has a boyfriend,
Aj the Ravenous Reader

One thing I have to appreciate about this story is its glaring reminder that is to NEVER EVER ENTER A SERIOUS RELATIONSHIP WHEN YOU’RE UNSURE OF YOURSELF and I know age isn’t always an indication of a person’s maturity but in this case and it’s most often, sixteen year olds are yet on their way to discovering who they are and like what I’ve already mentioned, when you’re 16, be 16. I don’t have to explain that further.^^

Truthfully speaking, I didn’t like the significant first half of the sto
Jiana
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No. NO. NO. JUST NO. This book is a mess. If you loved this book, then you might not want to read this review. Because I'm so annoyed right now. And my review will probably sound harsh to you. But I gotta let out all my anger.

Let me just start by saying that I loved Anna and the French Kiss. It was beyond enjoyable and adorable. But this? Oh my God. Lola and the Boy Next Door is a big fat NO. I'm beyond disappointed.

Cricket is a cutie. I liked Cricket. But, unfortunately, he was not enough to s
Alyssa
You know how all you Harry Potter fans were, like, living for the release of the seventh book, and then how some were disappointed in it? Lola was my disappointing Deathly Hallows.

You see, Anna and I, we hit it off. She smacked me in the face when I needed a slap, she caressed my stupid romantic heart, and she left me laughing out loud and wanting more. Anna, well, she’s kind of the reminder in a genre full of heavy stuff that it’s okay to watch romantic comedies on Valentine’s Day with a box o
Arlene
First off, a huge thanks to Rebecca for giving me this ARC. Thank you!!

♥ ♥ ♥ ABSOLUTELY CRUSH-WORTHY♥ ♥ ♥

HOLY CRICKET!! I am absolutely in love with Lola and the Boy Next Door! I’m not denying it, I have a HUGE crush on this book and it’s not going away. Stephanie Perkins, without a doubt did it again. She’s managed to tap into my inner giddy making me a shameless book hugger. For fans of Anna and the French Kiss eagerly anticipating Lola and the Boy Next Door breathe with ease. This book is fr
Jessica
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in May of 2013, and fell in love with Lola and Cricket's story. For some reason, I never wrote out a proper review for it though (although I do have reviews for Anna and the French Kiss and Isla and the Happily Ever After)

I just finished my first reread of the book, and it was the audiobook version. It was so good! I was so happy to be back with Lola and Cricket again! I love that this story is set in San Fransisco, and I just love all of the characters!

Lola reminds me of
emma
if there's one thing i abhor, it's quirkiness.

the kind of deliberate not-like-other-girls-y personality, the bright colors / random conversational insertions / unusual hobbies and side interests that characterizes your manic pixie dream girls and your tryhard middle schoolers and your adults possessing internalized misogyny...

i just can't stand it.

i'm a hater. i know it. i can deal with, even cherish, quirks, but quirkiness as the definition of a personality?

that...no.

this book is a nightmare fo
lena
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cricket is the sweetest, but just wondering who the hell names their kid cricket?
Priscilla
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
D'AAWWWW, well isn't that just lovely.

Initial reactions:
1. GAH, the cuteness OVERWHELMS ME! *faints*
2. Okay. Serious business guys. Love the story. There are more things going on than just the boy next door. Family, figuring out who you really are, and growing up.
3. Writing is amazing of course. Perkins is able to write her main characters with such a voice. They are complete characters. I love how Lola has interests, and there are issues surrounding her life other than boy problems. And althoug
Ikram

That's it I'm done.
DNFing this one. I honestly can't bear to read one more page.

Can someone please explain the hype to me? Usually when I dislike a popular book I can tell why everyone else loved but with this one I have absolutely no clue.

➨ I didn't like any of the characters. Especially not Lola and Cricket (out of all names she had to call him cricket) I know Lola is supposed to be different and awesome but wearing wigs every single day is just weird to me.

➨Lola is practically cheating
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Reread 8/20/15: wow. Cricket. WOW. What a charmer. I always underestimate this book. I CAN'T STOP GRINNING.

Reread 8/16/14: oh gosh. Oooohhhh gosh. I forgot how much I loved Cricket Bell. Swooning for the rest of my life
Anzû
** Favourite YA of 2011 **

OMG!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

How the hell am I supposed to review this without seeming sick or desperate?? I have no idea! …. But I’m going to try!

This was AMAZING! I was expecting it to be great, but there was still a part of me cringing at the idea that I might be too demanding and find out that it’s not so good. Well, it surpassed my expectations.

How can I best define Lola and the Boy Next Door?

I literally couldn’t put the book down. It got stuck to my hands. It beca
Amy | Foxy Blogs
FOUR POINT FIVE STARS

Two years ago I remember reading the first book in this series and enjoying it. So, when I was looking through the library's audios and saw this one I thought, 'why not.'

First off, I liked this one more than the first book. I know it's been two years since I read book one but this one was more fun to read.

What got my attention right away was LOLA. What an interesting character. She's a senior in high school who has a boyfriend who happens to be five years older than her. Ri
Kat
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-4
This was just adorable. I completely love Stephanie Perkins’ writing style and cute voice as Lola as she deals with the trials and tribulations of first love and the confusion over what the heart thinks it wants and the person who’s truly right for you.

Lola has an older boyfriend (Max) that her parents aren’t crazy about. Then, her former neighbors move back, including Cricket, the boy she once had a major crush on. The chemistry in this one was adorable, just like in Anna and the French Kiss,
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oh. My. God. What a perfect little book! I wasn't expecting to love it so much. I enjoyed 'Anna and the French Kiss' but this one was on a whole other level. So good! I've been in the mood for fluffy contemporaries and this was perfect. I'll definitely read it again in the future when I need a smile. ...more
Jenna
A bowl full of fun!

Stephanie Perkins has not disappointed me yet! Lola and The Boy Next door is about 17 year old Lola (or Dolores, if she's in trouble). She has an older boyfriend, strict parents and a great best friend. Her boyfriend Max is 22, in a band and totally cool. Her dads are strict, but caring and other than their strict dating rules, Lola doesn't mind. Lindsay is her best friend and can sense when something is up or guess how Lola is feeling almost immediately. Lola thinks she's hap

Nina
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.”

I honestly don’t know why it took me so long to finally read “Lola and the Boy next Door”. I mean, I read “Anna and the French Kiss” five years ago and never even thought about continuing this series even though I loved the first book.

But now I finally read it and I’m so glad about that because LATBND was great. I almost loved it as much as I loved AATFK.

Just like the first book in the series
Whitney Atkinson
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015

This book is exactly how I expected it to be. Light, meh main character, and predictable. The main thing I love about this is Stephanie Perkins is just a great writer. She writes contemporary romances so well and I really find it enjoyable to read. I knew going into this that the main thing I wouldn't get along with is Lola. I've heard things about Lola, and kinda had a preconceived notion of her, and my prediction that I wouldn't like her was correct. She just seemed.... ingenuine to m
Ash
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first read: September 21 - 22, 2015
first reread: March 8 - 12 , 2016

MARCH 2016: I loved it just as much the 2nd time around!!!

------
SEPTEMBER 2015: Totally loving these books! I think overall, I liked Anna's story better....but I definitely found more things that I could relate to in this book.

“Just because something isn't practical doesn't mean it's not worth creating. Sometimes beauty and real-life magic are enough.”

I really ended up liking Cricket, he is just...so awkward, and sweet and t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss #2), Stephanie Perkins

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز دواردهم ماه سپیتامبر سال 2019میلادی

‏‫‭Lola and the Boy Next Door, Stephanie Perkins,
تهران: جنگل‏‫، (1397) 2019میلادی؛ در 350ص؛

• The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)
  • It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)
  • We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)
  • Love & Gelato (Love & Gelato, #1)
  • My Life Next Door
  • Love Auction: Too Risky to Love Again
  • Better Than the Movies
  • Alex, Approximately
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Kisses and Croissants
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • Love & Luck (Love & Gelato, #2)
  • The Cheat Sheet
  • Starry Eyes
  • Love & Olives (Love & Gelato, #3)
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
  • The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2)
  • P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2)
Hi, there! I'm Stephanie Perkins, and I wrote Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After. I also edited (and contributed a short story to) a romantic holiday anthology called My True Love Gave to Me and its companion anthology, Summer Days and Summer Nights. My first horror novel, There's Someone Inside Your House, was recently adapted into a film for ...more

Anna and the French Kiss (3 books)
  • Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
  • Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)