Start by marking “My Life Next Door” as Want to Read:
My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  120,994 ratings  ·  8,937 reviews
"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall
Published June 13th 2013 by Speak (first published June 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Life Next Door, please sign up.
Book lover YES if you read the second book it will have many details about them all please read it because it is worth it
Lily Evans At my opinion, it is completely worth it! I read it about six and seven times and Huntley Fitzpatricks' style is soft and easy to read.

really liked it 4.00  ·
 ·  120,994 ratings  ·  8,937 reviews

Jenn

What I loved about this book:
1. NO teenage angst from Samantha
2. NO teenage drama with the main characters
3. Jase and Samantha were very mature 17-year-olds (very refreshing)
4. GEORGE
5. The Garrett family
6. The easy, loving, trusting and patient relationship Jase has with Samantha
7. I LOVED that this book put a smile on my face and made me laugh almost the entire book. Although it did have me teary eye a little bit at one point. :o)
8. FINALLY I loved that this book sucked me in and never wanted
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
4.5*
Wasn't what I was expecting at all, it was quite a bit more intense, but I really loved it!
Ari
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is why I read YA books - to get this feeling of joy, of happiness, of love.. Because I simply LOVE feeling my head so light and having my heart skip a beat remembering how it felt to fall in love for the first time (and every time after that).

I really like stories like this, that get you through every stage of a young relationship; that make you hold your breath for the romantic moments, for the first kiss; that make you smile at all the silliness and cuteness of the couple; that make you
Liz* Fashionably Late

UNPOPULAR OPINION HERE.

Samantha is a rich, perfect girl with the perfect life, body and shit. She's got it all but a boyfriend. Her neighbor is single, hot and ridiculously perfect. She's been stalking admiring him from her balcony for evah. HEY, IT'S LIKE MEANT TO BE. The thing is Mom hates the Garrets. They're too many (eight kids) and those morons never heard about birth control so Sam will be in SERIOUS trouble if she fraternizes with the enemy.
description

Life won't give her a break, though. She is su
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
When I checked this book out at the library, my favorite librarian looked at me funny and said "This is not a you book". I told her that every once in awhile I want fluffy. I can do romancy young adult.

I think I should probably stick mostly with the serial killers and stalkers

Princess perfect Samantha lives a fairy tale life. Her mommy is a politician who gained her throne through that handy trust fund.

Now next door to this paradise is one of "those families". The ones that never mow their la
C.G. Drews
You know how I'm a contemporary snob? And it takes sooooo muuuuch for a contemporary to wrap around my heart and turn me into happiness and sprinkles? Well this book successfully stole my heart. SCRAP THAT. IT STOLE MY SOUL. I AM SO IMPRESSED RIGHT NOW. I have a few niggles, but gahhhhhh. I loved it. It basically went through a checklist of ALL the things that win me over. So it's basically possible that Huntley Fitzpatrick wrote it for me, okay? Just so you know.

Because it had:
• huge emphasis
Maureen
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! Sam and Jase are SUCH great characters and I really enjoyed seeing them fall in love (even if it was a little bit of insta love).
A lot of things surprised me about this book, and it just gave me the warm fuzzies all the time.
I AM STILL SMILING. So great. So wonderful. Bless.
Glass
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was worth waiting for. I've read it in two days despite the fact that I was head over heels in all that boring end-of-the-school-year paperwork that us, teachers, are so fond of.

First, I can not believe that this is Huntley Fitzpatrick's debut novel. I've read so many bad books lately and those autors didn't have the excuse of first attempt in their writing carieers. My Life Next Door reminded me a lot of Sarah Dessen novels - by the concept and the writing style. And I love Sarah Des
Keertana
Rating: 2.5 Stars

Everything about My Life Next Door screams “summer chick-flick”! From its flirty cover, to its sappy title, to its shockingly bright synopsis, you’d think you couldn’t go wrong with this book. I was expected a Sarah Dessen type novel and what I got instead is something I can only relate to authors who I happen to loathe like Stephanie Meyer or Becca Fitzpatrick, even though they’re not contemporary authors. I think what pains me the most is that I really liked the first half
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Why, thank you book for all these wonderful platitudes. We need to part ways now though, at 35%, but don't worry, I'll compile here every amazing moment we shared together.

Remember when Jase and Sam fell in love over a lemonade at 9%? Because I was there to follow their astounding banter and was deeply moved by the slow burn of their feelings....

"He drains the entire thing in one gulp, then reaches for the other cup.
"That's mine," I say.
"Oh, jeez. Of course. Sorry. I
am thirsty."
I extend my
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I will be a son of a biscuit eater!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was supposed to be my cute little fluffy book!

Okay, I will admit I loved, loved, loved the beginning of the book and pretty much to the half way mark. I love Sam and Jase so much and I absolutely adore Jase's big family of 10. 8 kids, 2 parents and another on the way.

Sam's sister was okay. I hated Sam's mom and her moms young boyfriend, Clay that is helping her on her campaign on becoming a senator.

I hated Sam's best friend Nan and I loath
Mimi Valentine
Rating: 4.95 brilliant, beautiful, breathtaking stars out of 5!

FACT #1: I'm not a contemporary girl. I love paranormal books way more than my realistic ones; worlds that don't really exist enthrall me way more than real ones do. Because those supernatural books are usually more badass, intense, and fun than everyday romances.

FACT #2: My Life Next Door totally voids the first fact!!

Where can I even start with how much I loved this book? How much it took me surprise, grabbed my heart, and wouldn't
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

What an enjoyable young adult story! Samantha is the daughter of the Connecticut’s Senator and has lived next door the the large Garrett family for many years. She watches them but never engages until the summer before her senior year when she meets Jase Garrett and his seven siblings. Her mother is a real piece of work and not only looks down on the Garrett family but gets caught up with her new campaign guy Clay and lacks a lot of the important mom skills. The author throws in a great cast of
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister by: Erica
Shelves: young-adult, sweet
*3.5 Stars*

A fun and refreshing, sweet summer read! The writing was fluid and wonderfully captured the essence of being a teen in a very realistic manner.

While the story didn't necessarily blow me away, it certainly held my interest and warmed my heart.

Samantha is a young girl who, at first glance, appears to have it all. She's beautiful, wealthy, and has a determined mother in politics who keeps up a perfect appearance for their well-respected family.

But Samantha isn't happy.

Because her mo
Stacey (prettybooks)
One of my favourite boys in YA contemporary fiction is Étienne St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss and Jase Garrett from My Life Next Door is now up there with him!

Seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed lives a quiet, stable life compared to her neighbours. The Garretts are loud and chaotic and everything Samantha's senator mother tries to avoid, so Samantha knows her mother would not be happy that she has fallen in love with Jase. Jase's parents and their seven other children – Joel, Alice, And
Karla
4 1/2 Stars!! This was a 5 plus star read for me…until the end, because there really wasn’t one, or at least not one that satisfied me. I only detracted a half a star, because the rest of the book was amazing. I enjoyed the comparisons and stereotypes of two completely different families.

Samantha is a sweet, determined young woman who is showcased, yet sheltered by her mother. After many years of observing the family next door, she finally meets Jase, the third oldest in the Garrett clan. He app
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

My Life Next Door tells us the story of Samantha, a girl who practically has spent her 17 years watching The Garrets. All the time

The Garrets are her neighbors next door and Sam’s mother hates them because they remind her of her ex- in laws. They are a huge family, very noisy and carefree, they are happy. And even though Sam’s mom told her to never ever have contact with them she can’t help but stare at them all the time.

And one night while she’s spying them, Jase comes to “rescue her”.

”Hey, n
Warda
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay this was a lot more hard hitting than I thought it would be. Here I was expecting a cute summer romance (I mean, look at that deceiving cover!) and I get a beautiful story on family, redemption, love and doing what is right.
Kate (GirlReading)
SO CUTE!!

4.25*

This was exactly what I needed to read. It was just lovely. I loved the characters, I loved the plot and I can't wait to pick up the next books in this series. So adorable, I really enjoyed it!!
Regan
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

AHHHH SO GOOD AND CUTE AND AHHHHHHHH
Sandra
2.5 I'M-HAVING-AN-ANGER-ATTACK-OVER-HERE STARS

Thank you dear Rosalinda for BR with me <3

There were quite a few characters i really wanted to stab in the eye and push off a cliff. Let's make a list.

1. Samantha (but only towards the end).
2. Gracie (Samantha's mother)
3. Clay (Samantha's mum boyfriend).
4. Nan (Samantha's BFF).

ways to1

But for my sake i'm going to keep this review short and sweet.

One thing my mother never knew, and would dissaprove of most of all, was that i watched the Garretts. All
Christine Riccio
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I'd say more like 4.57 stars. Here's my full review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88UYL...
Jiana
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Who are these people, and why do they think their own opinions are the only right ones?”

My Life Next Door is one of those super adorable contemporary novels you'd read if you want to pass the time. I really liked it yet I had a few issues with it. The plot has several themes, some of which are family, belonging, doing what's right... The plot was also heavily centered around politics, which wasn't interesting for me. I've never cared about politics. I don't understand it and it never interest
Sophia
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember being super excited for this book because Katie from Katie's Book Blog compared the level of awesomeness to Anna and the French Kiss. And since AatFK is basically my favorite contemporary ever, you can imagine how high my expectation were. Which is why I was so sad when I started the book and felt... empty. I didn't connect well with Samantha. She seemed sort of detached to me. Her voice wasn't very strong in my head while I was reading and that made me lack invested emotions in the b ...more
Lora
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA realistic fiction; 15+
My Life Next Door is the kind of story that you expect to be light and fluffy . . . but then it surprises you.
I thought this book would be very cliché: little rich girl falls for the boy next door; gets a whole new perspective on life through the eyes of a financially-strained, but very happy — unlike her own — family; and learns something big about herself over the course of one short summer. In a lot of ways, that is what this book is about. But, in truth, it is about so much more.

Samantha R
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
DNF at about 60%.

Deceptive cover that raises misleading expectations and somehow draws comparison to ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS is deceptive.
Nadhira Satria
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Before any of my smart ass friends starts asking “what?” or “huh?”
let me just say that I was in a slump and i needed to read something light and fluffy. Tbh i actually liked this. what a shocker?? ok let's get down to business

✨What I liked ✨

1.TIM MASON
Everybody, meet Tim. The alcoholic, druggie troublemaker who curse like a sailor and chain smokes. Who is also actually a smart, witty, adorable puppy. He's also my boyfriend, regardless
HE'S A SIDE CHARACTER BUT I STILL LOVE HIM SO MUCH OH MY GOD
Anja
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.25 SHELTERED STARS*

Oh my god, this was soooo much better han I thought this was going to be!
That crazy plot twist at the end totally took me by surprise and changed the entire feel and setting of this book in a flash! It changed from being slightly superficial to teaching real life lessons. Reading this really makes you realize the importance of family, friendship, love, loyalty and doing the right th
Anne
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book went from a 5-star read to a 1-star read.

I thought it would be about a romance. A contemporary novel that usually explores the values of family, friendship, life etc.

But by the end of the book...all I could think was, really? what was the point of all that drama?

There were so many unresolved issues (view spoiler), and it made me frustrated. (view s
♥Rachel♥
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

For years, Sam had watched the Garrett's from her bedroom next door. They're life was so opposite from the one she led. Sam has the perfect trust-fund mother who currently is a congresswoman, and the beautiful older sister always out with her latest conquest. It's just the three of them, as Sam's dad left while her mother was pregnant with her. The Garrett's always had a lot going on with eight children: five boys and three girls. They were the type that always had the toys lying about in the fr
  • In Honor
  • Something like Normal
  • What Happens Next
  • A Midsummer's Nightmare
  • Such a Rush
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • If I Lie
  • Bittersweet
  • Meant to Be
  • Unbreak My Heart
  • From What I Remember...
  • Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)
  • Second Kiss (Second Kiss, #1)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Stealing Parker
  • Reunited
  • Breaking Beautiful
Huntley Fitzpatrick grew up dreamy and distracted in coastal Connecticut. She flourished in a family of bookworms where everyone always had their nose in a book. She kept an exhaustively thorough journal which frightened her boyfriends but has proved very useful in her career as a writer. Her debut contemporary Romance, MY LIFE NEXT DOOR, was published in June of 2012 by Penguin-Dial for Young Rea ...more
“Maybe if I can just sleep for a hundred years, I'll wake up in a better story.” 877 likes
“Is Jase already gonna marry you?”

I start coughing again. “Uh, No. No, George. I’m only seventeen.” As if that’s the only reason we’re not engaged.

“I’m this many.” George holds up four, slightly grubby fingers. “But Jase is seventeen and a half. You could. Then you could live in here with him. And have a big family.”

Jase strides back into the room, of course, midway through this proposition. “George. Beat it. Discovery Channel is on.”

George backs out of the room but not before saying, “His bed’s really comfortable. And he never pees in it.”
601 likes