Start by marking “The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)” as Want to Read:
The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)

The 5th Wave

(The 5th Wave #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  356,714 ratings  ·  29,150 reviews
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have sc
Published May 7th 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The 5th Wave, please sign up.
Michael Blaser I think this diffrent pov make the book even more exciting, sure at the beginning it was confusing, but after a while it was interesting to figure out…moreI think this diffrent pov make the book even more exciting, sure at the beginning it was confusing, but after a while it was interesting to figure out who was talking(less)
D You should read the first couple chapters and find out. I have noticed people either can't put it down after the first section or they put it down…moreYou should read the first couple chapters and find out. I have noticed people either can't put it down after the first section or they put it down forever. I love it, personally, but if you end up not loving it that is okay! Taste is what makes people unique.(less)

·  356,714 ratings  ·  29,150 reviews

Start your review of The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)
Mitch
Apr 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-just-no
"...bastardized sci-fi for the Twilight crowd..."

Well this is awkward. Everything about The 5th Wave - an award winning male young adult author, a high octane alien invasion plot, the comparisons to Ender’s Game and The Passage - made it seem like it’d exactly my kind of book. But now that I’ve finished, I’m just so pissed with the whole thing I have nothing nice to say and really just want to punch something, and in fact, I dislike The 5th Wave so much I’ve somehow written not one but three angry rants - yeah, be warned, this is going to
Emily May
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
“If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans.” - Stephen Hawking

Sometimes, I am lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC of a book and go into it with as close to no expectations as possible. I haven't read any reviews before, so the first experience is entirely my own, as I find it.

And sometimes I love these books. Sometimes I give them 4 or 5 star reviews, rated purely based on the emo
Kat Kennedy
Attention Mister Rick Yancey,

I have kidnapped your review. Your review is not harmed and shall be released as soon as you meet my demands.

In exchange for giving you back your review, which I am prepared to do, you will first need to provide for me:

1 copy of The 5th Wave #2 – undamaged, complete, unmarked (except for your signature or a stylized message to me).

This copy of The 5th Wave #2 must also contain certain characters unharmed and ready for me to snuggle them in my imagination.

Characters include:

Cassie – Because she’s badass

Zombie – Because he’s adorable.

Nugget – Don’t ever even t
Nick
5 FREAKY ALIEN STARS!

Mountain View

The first 4 waves were okay but the 5th wave... MIND BLOWING.I seriously didn't expect it at all.And the ending was perfect.Actually one of the best book endings of all time.

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog

I can't describe how much I enjoyed this book.One of the best alien books I hablog
Iclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
The

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog

I can't describe how much I enjoyed this book.One of the best alien books I have ever read.This is probably going to be on my top ten favorite books on 2014.The style of writing , the characters everything was beyond perfect.I read the book in about 3 days and it was a great read.

Mountain View

What I really liked about this book was the style of writing.It was unique and very well planned.I must say I was lost on some parts because the book is written is a lot of points of views.There were some moments that I didn't know who was narrating but I got used to it after I learned more about the characters.

Mountain View

The story is what kept me reading this book more and more.It never gets boring.Believe me I was thrilled and excited in every single paragraph.
It's so well written.

The story :

Mountain View

The book is about a girl called Cassie who survived 4 waves of aliens.The first wave shut down the electricity and killed about half million people.The second wave "The red Tsunami" killed more and more.The third one killed 97% of humans and the 4th wave whipped the trust out of people.Now Cassie is alone in a journey to save her little brother.In her adventure she meets a boy called Evan who mixes her thoughts and now she has to decide if she can trust him or not.If she breaks or not the first rule of surviving "TO SURVIVE YOU HAVE TO STAND ALONE"

The characters :

Cassie

Mountain View

Cassie is one of those characters you can't help but like.She is determinated to do what she thinks is right.She is also selfless.Not for a second she thinks about her safety.She is also caring and good at heart.What I really liked about her was her kickass mood.She is trained in karate and she doesn't hesitate to show her skills.

Evan :

Mountain View

I must admit the bro got moves.Seriously he is like a lady master and I want him to give me lesson on that area.He is also calm all the time and I don't remember a single panic word slip from him.

Ben :

Mountain View

Ben is one of those characters we are used to.He is a much of a soldier.Smart,tactics,strong,and the most important he keeps promises that he makes.

Me while reading the book ( favorite sentences ) :

Mountain View

“I had it all wrong," he says. "Before I found you, I thought the only way to hold on was to find something to live for. It isn't. To hold on, you have to find something you're willing to die for.”

Mountain View

“Sarcasm doesn't appear to work on him. If that's true, I'm in trouble: It's my normal mode of communication.”

Mountain View

“I am a shark, Cassie," he says slowly, drawing the words out, as if he might be speaking to me for the last time. Looking into my eyes with tears in his, as if he's seeing me for the last time. "A shark who dreamed he was a man.”

Mountain View

“What were they thinking? 'It's an alien apocalypse! Quick, grab the beer!”

Mountain View

“I took one look at it and demanded that he name three things he isn't good at.
"Roller skating, singing, and talking to girls."
"You left out stalking," I told him as he helped me out of the bed. "I can always tell when you're lurking around corners."
"You only asked for three.”

Mountain View

“Is this how humanity waves good-bye?
Hell no.”

Mountain View

I highly recommend this book to those who like aliens/paranormal stuff.It's a great fun read.
I want to thank the author for this incredible book.One of my all time favorites.

Mountain View

*Pictures from the review are not mine, I took them mostly from Google images or Tumblr*
Wendy Darling
If you could buy just one book this year, this one should be at the top of your list. I'm just going to say it: this book could very well be the next The Hunger Games! I've never seen a book more likely to be a crowd-pleaser, nor one with more potential to sweep away a legion of fans. This book was so crazily addictive that I read it in literally half a day, and several months afterwards I am still jazzed over its edge-of-your-seat action.

What makes this story awesome, and what elevates it
karen
Apr 16, 2013 rated it liked it
i am not the kind of person who gets off on hating the things everyone loves - i don't really see the value in reading books just to be snarky and contrary and "ohhhh, the plebs are eating this up, but iiii am the internet's arbiter of taste and i only read underappreciated, obscure books and thumb my nose at what is popular."

i do both. i have read Twilight, i have read Fifty Shades of Grey. i like to know what all the hype is about as much as i like to read bunches of underknown stuff. and both those books were fine,
Sasha Alsberg
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
one of the best books ive had the honor to read! A MUST READ!!
Jessie
Warning: This rant will contain lots of swearing, and massive anger. This is a rant, so I'm sorry if there's weird grammar or bad writing. I'm really not caring that much at this point. So, please, bear with me.
And please know that by no means do I intend to offend anyone, including the author.

DNF- Sammy's POV.

I HATED THIS BOOK!

Best thing to describe it? Boring as fuck.

This book was my most anticipated book of the year. I was expecting so much after all the hype. But/>
Scarlet
I have successfully survived all 5 waves.

The 1st Wave : Confusion (Not as good as I thought)
The 2nd Wave : Hope (Maybe it gets better)
The 3rd Wave : Boredom (zzzzz....)
The 4th Wave : Disappointment (This is not getting any better)
The 5th Wave : Annoyance (Just end already)

Then why am I even giving it 2 stars?? Because my hatred for this book does not translate into this being a bad book. Some of the best reviewers on GR have loved The Fifth Wave and I totally respect their opinions. I guess this was simply not for me.

I'll start with the thing that annoyed me the most: The Writing

This is probably a me-thing, but I found thebetter)
The(zzzzz....)
Thebetter)
Thethought)
Thewaves.
The
Christine Riccio
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
SO GOOD. Loved the writing style, loved the lead characters, full of twists, and wonderfully paced. Here's my full blown review/discussion http://youtu.be/ZvFFjazW930 =D
Lola

Maybe the last human being on Earth won’t die of starvation or exposure or as a meal for wild animals.
Maybe the last one to die will be killed by the last one alive.

The 5th Wave is exhilarating.

The story is so thrilling and suspenseful that it’ll draw you in before you even get the chance to finish reading the first sentence. And it will truly seal you interest when you will get acquainted with all the adventurous, intrepid and bracing characters. Cassie. Sammy. Evan. Zombie. Ringer. It will be hard f
Rachel E. Carter
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-paperback
1/24/16 Movie Update: I finally saw it... Mixed feelings. Like many of you commented, I think the weakest parts were the romance. I hated how the last 1/4 of movie seemed rushed compared to the book -and my big pet peeve was that Ben recognized her and knew who her brother was (soooooo not how it happened in the book) and that when Ben and Evan finally met it was not awkward & hilarious (because of Cassie's lies and obsessions) like the book. To me, one of the greatest things about the book was the running( ...more
Giselle
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, arc
Now THIS is how you write a book, ladies and gentleman! With the slew of dystopian and post apocalyptic novels coming out you can only imagine how refreshing it is to stumble upon a truly refreshing, incredibly well created novel about an alien apocalypse. And don't let this term fool you, aliens may not be running rampant on our planet (yet), but Yancey has succeeded in making this event just as realistic as any other world disaster. Plus, in my opinion I think it's a little naive to believe we ...more
Tatiana
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Stephenie Meyer's The Host
Recommended to Tatiana by: hype
Shelves: 2013, sci-fi, why-the-hype, ya
I am actually embarrassed for Mr. Yancey here, he is a Printz winner after all. All the money invested to hype this The Host Redux mumbo-jumbo, which makes so little sense if you just think about the plot and the role the children play in this 5th wave, why go into so much trouble, dear aliens? I can only explain the popularity of this book by the same sci-fi for those who don't read/like sci-fi effect The Host rode on, because this novel is nothing but a huge cliche with a nauseating romance of the variety we ...more
Steph Sinclair

There's no doubt in my mind that most people are going to be captivated with The 5th Wave. It's engaging, features a witty protagonist, mystery, the right amount of anticipation and a romantic story line. Not to mention, it happens to be one of Penguin's big titles and had a lot of marketing money poured into it. It's not everyday that an ARC crosses my threshold with such a soft cover. Nor are they usually accompanied by beat up Teddies and survival bags.

the 5th wave and teddy

the 5th wave and teddy

I had seen the reviews surfacing and shouting praise left and right, including Kat. And for most of the novel, I was right there with most people who loved the story, rooting for Cassie. But somewhere around the 50% mark, I felt the book lost some of its original luster.

Yancey sets up the world perfectly and there's little fault to be found there. The narration is introduced by Cassie, who tells the reader of her life before the aliens came and the 4 waves that subsequently wiped out most of the human population. Her story, like the many others shown later, is not a happy one. She's suffered the death of both of her parents and the separation from her 6 year old brother, Sam. I quite enjoyed her as a main character and found her humorous despite her grim situation. Her fierce determination to save her brother from the unknown (to her, at least) horrors built just the right amount of anticipation to keep me turning page after page.

One thing I didn't expect was the multiple narrations: The Silencer, Zombie and Sam (though, he only narrates once, I believe). I'm surprised that I actually liked this style after a few reviews did mention it not working so well for them. I can definitely see it throwing readers off, but I thought it was pretty clever in the beginning. The way it switches back and forth, implanted a certain amount of doubt to the point where I there were times where I wasn't sure who was actually human or alien.

Still all of that just wasn't enough to keep away my rising disappointment. You see, The 5th Wave and I had a very interesting reading journey and I think I about expressed all of my emotions while reading it. There was the beginning where I'd learned about waves 1-4 and how horrifying they were. I had to take a moment and hug Sam's teddy. It was a depressing situation and I needed cuddles.

hugging teddy

Then, Sam is taken away, Cassie is shot in the leg and I'm not sure if she's going to make it. And some Other Stuff happens, like a bunch of people getting all killed off at once, and I found myself flipping pages super duper fast. I couldn't wait to find out what the 5th alien wave actually was.

Shocked

But that's when things start going downhill for me, because all of a sudden there's this weird insta-love romance that was, IMO, not done well at all. I get that Yancey was going for the whole "What really makes us human?" thing with this book. And having Cassie and The Silencer fall for each other was supposed to emphasize that, but c'mon. The whole "I shot you in the leg because I couldn't bare shooting you in the head. Can't you see I'm in love with you?" bit started sending off major weirdo vibes. Dare I say it? Yes, I think I shall. If Edward Cullen were an alien whose mission was to kill off remaining humans, but he instead falls in love with a girl, he would be The Silencer. The romance developed way too fast and had such a strange start (with The Silencer following her through the woods, reading her diary, going through her belongings and shooting her in the leg) that I just could find myself getting on board with it.

It was such a strange turn of events. One minute there's death, carnage and a struggle for survival and the next minute Cassie's in this farm with a guy who resembles Clark Kent from Smallville and he's baking her bread. This is also that part where the narrative changes really started to become jarring because we also were keeping track of Zombie (a nickname for the character in the novel). Every time we were in his point of view, I felt like I was in the midst of playing Call of Duty. So from going back and forth from those very different scenarios, I had to take a small break and ask Teddy a very frank question: "Are you fucking kidding me?"

Not impressed

SPOILERS AHEAD: But I went back to reading because I really wanted to see what this 5th wave was all about. Unfortunately, that turned out to be the most disappointing aspect of the novel. Up until I found out what the 5th wave was, I thought these aliens were pretty badass. They came to earth with a plan and they knew exactly how to kill off humans very effectively.

1st Wave: Take out human technology - Humans rely heavily on this for almost everything. I'd take this out first too.

2nd Wave: Natural disasters - You can easily wipe out most of biggest cites by taking out the coasts with tsunamis.

3rd Wave: Plague - One of the most effective way to kill off a bunch of people: poison them with disease. You don't even have to do much here. Just wait for them to die off.

4th Wave: Silencers (basically, think snipers) - Pick off all the survivors.

5th Wave: Kidnap all remaining children, including toddlers, nurse them back to health, feed them, train them military style and send them out to kill all the adults who they think are aliens but are really human. (UMM. What?)

The aliens had a good thing going for them. Every thing made sense up until the 5th wave. But why would they go through so much trouble for the 5th wave? The Silencers would have been just as effective or even more so, considering how fast they could take people out. They are faster, stronger, can see in the dark, etc. So, what's the point in wasting resources and years to train human children to kill human adults?

My final verdict: The 5th Wave is definitely a page-turner and has plenty to offer a reader who enjoys science fiction. Even though the romance fell flat and the plot's logical inconsistencies kept me from dishing out all my stars, it was still an enjoyable read. But despite the very strong start, ultimately, The 5th Wave didn't live up to the hype for me.

Sorry, Kat. I fully expect your declarations of Review War in the mornin'.

ARC and teddy was received via the publisher for an honest review. No monies or favors were exchanged for a positive review, though, the teddy does look cool on my bookshelf.

More reviews and other fantastical things at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Pss! Pss! I have a theory.

Want to hear it? I'm starting to think that Rick Yancey is a genius. What does a genius do, you're asking? He makes people think they are the genius, by creating a story so predictable that every reader will feel so fucking clever. No, no, this is not sarcasm (not entirely, anyway). See, I was here bitching about how I guessed everything - every fucking thing apart from the ear teddy bear rumpled (come on, I'm not that great) - when I realized that there was no way I wasn't meant to. NO WAY. The clues a
jessica
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
well, now i know why i cant find the perfect guy. its because perfect guys are actually aliens. evan has seriously ruined the entire human male population for me. lol.

evan aside, this is a really fantastic start to a sci-fi series. the concept is wildly imaginative. and although the plot is very much engaging and suspenseful, i cant help but feel like this story is more of an examination of humanity in the face of catastrophe. these characters are everything. im not sure i was expecting such de
Regan
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
I really enjoyed this book.

Is it weird though that I preferred the Ben story line, but liked Evan waaaaay better?

Angela
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I JUST RE READ THIS BOOK AGAIN!!!! finishing it in perfect timing--aka about to walk into the theater!!!

(Old) re read this book this month and it was even more amazing the second time around

This book this book this book!
I don’t know how i fell upon this book, but I am so thankful I did! THE 5TH WAVE IS AMAZING! No wonder they are already making it into a movie without the series even being finished yet! I downloaded the sample of it on my kindle then instantly bought it after getting that
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I really enjoyed this book! I wouldn't say it blew my mind or anything, but it was entertaining.
Anja H.
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*5 EXTRATERRESTRIAL STARS*

"How do you rid the earth of humans? Rid the humans of their humanity."

HOLY CRAP.
This was good! I mean, like, extremely, terrifyingly good!
I have already read plenty of books dealing with aliens and/or invasions, but for me this is the best one yet! I expected this to be yet another overhyped book series, but boy was I wrong!
This is the first Rick Yancey novel I ever read and it completely blew me away, I don't even know where to start. I wonder why I haven't read this earlier, I feel/>
Reading Corner
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I decided I'd get this book done before I see the film and boy was that a good decision. I loved the concept behind this book with the numerous waves eventually wiping out humanity and the mysterious aliens behind it. The idea unravels to become much more than a straightforward explanation or plot with many unpredictable moments involved.I really couldn't predict this book, every time I tried I was wrong and I loved that.Yes, there was cheese and cliches at parts, especially in the dialogue but ...more
Andie
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Why oh why did I wait so long to read this!? This book gripped me from the very first page and didn't let up even when it ended. I need more!

The world building was phenomenal and the picture painted was so real, I could see it play by play in my head. And Rick's story telling ability is a work of art. I loved the way he told the story from didn't pov's and the inner monologues of his characters were the best! Especially Cassie, she's a riot! It felt like it was one thing after another and the a
Daiane
-- Tried to reread it because of the movie but I still don't get it :/ --

I choose to start this book because of all the hype that it is having. They even had promo posts on the subway. The quotes were really interesting and the thing about a strong heroine in an alien invaded earth, how can it be that bad? And then we can add the alien-earth romance to have the spicy in the food. Well, it was promising enough. It should have been.

The writing in this book is really beautiful. It was beautiful, funny and di
Ahmad Sharabiani
The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1), Rick Yancey
The 5th Wave is a young adult science fiction novel written by American author Rick Yancey. It was published on May 7, 2013 by G. P. Putnam's Sons. The novel is the first in The 5th Wave trilogy, followed by The Infinite Sea. The story follows 16-year-old Cassie Sullivan as she tries to survive in a world devastated by the waves of alien invasions that have decimated the Earth's population.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز سی و یکم ماه اکتبر سال 20
Clumsy Storyteller
it's the APOCALYPSE, people ! :D

the 5th wave is one of THE BEST DYSTOPIAN BOOK OF THE YEAR , it has everything suspense, action, a bit of romance, Stong charcaters, one of them was a bit a weirdo (i'm sure you know who that is) overall i loved the combination Rick yancey has created of the Dystopian and Science Fiction genres, it's perfect, really enjoyed it, The narration is captivating, Beautiful writing full of Inspirational Quotes. i watched the movie and i LOVED IT, Chloë Grace Moretz is a
Thomas
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Thomas by: Athira

The first of work of young-adult fiction to impress me in four months. Rick Yancey writes about an alien invasion of the earth that takes place over several waves. Our protagonist, Cassie, has lost everyone - except for her younger brother Sammy, who she has made it her sole mission to rescue. Yancey shows us many characters' perspectives, including Ben Parish, a former high school football player Cassie once had a crush on, who now fights against the Others in an attempt to save th
♥Rachel♥
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! I was blown away by this story!! I was completely riveted by every single word! My heart raced, and I was on the edge of my seat pretty much the entire time.

The world as we know it is over. Aliens came, kicked ass, and all that’s left of humanity is three percent of the original population. One of the “lucky” survivors is sixteen year-old Cassie. She lived through all Four Waves that’s decimated the human race, and is trying to stay alive by staying alone, because that’s the only way to st
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

♪♫♪♪That's great, it starts with an earthquake. Birds and snakes, an aeroplane ♪♫♪♪

Okay, maybe just the aeroplane part. Like this . . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

It didn’t take long for people to realize that . . .

“The arrival of the mothership was not the beginning, but the beginning of the end.”

Nope, the first wave was followed in quick succession by waves two . . .

three . . .

and four . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Leaving only the fifth and final wave before it truly is the end of the world as humans know it . . .http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/
Raeleen Lemay
May 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, dnf
I'm sorry. I just couldn't do it.

I tried reading this with a friend over a year ago, and we both decided that it was boring and we couldn't see ourselves finishing it, so we put it down. Now, I decided to give it another chance, and it just isn't for me. Despite everybody telling me "it gets better" and to "keep trudging on!", I just can't do it. I don't care how good it gets later on, if I'm not even a tiny bit interested over 100 pages in, there's a problem. I will happily go see the movie wh
YA Buddy Readers'...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Fifth Wave Series By Rick Yancey - Reading from 'The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1)' from August 21st 2019 121 249 Sep 17, 2019 09:20AM
Play Book Tag: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey 2 stars 1 6 Aug 30, 2019 04:48PM
Mentor Texts 1 2 May 16, 2019 08:01PM
Evan Walker or Ben Parish? 568 2065 Apr 25, 2019 03:19AM
Around the Year i...: The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancey 13 93 Dec 15, 2018 04:18PM
Finished first book, is the 2nd worth it? 3 20 Nov 26, 2018 08:09PM

• The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
  • The Kill Order (The Maze Runner, #0.5)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • Legend (Legend, #1)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Paper Towns
  • Holes (Holes, #1)
  • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • Everything, Everything
  • Uglies (Uglies, #1)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
aka Richard Yancey

Rick is a native Floridian and a graduate of Roosevelt University in Chicago. He earned a B.A. in English which he put to use as a field officer for the Internal Revenue Service. Inspired and encouraged by his wife, he decided his degree might also be useful in writing books and in 2004 he began writing full-time.

Since then he has launched two critically a

The 5th Wave (3 books)
  • The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2)
  • The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3)
“But if I'm it, the last of my kind, the last page of human history, like hell I'm going to let the story end this way. I may be the last one, but I am the one still standing. I am the one turning to face the faceless hunter in the woods on an abandoned highway. I am the one not running but facing. Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity. And if this is humanity's last war, then I am the battlefield.” 1251 likes
“Some things you can never leave behind. They don't belong to the past. They belong to you.” 1181 likes