Start by marking “The Moon and More” as Want to Read:
The Moon and More

The Moon and More

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  35,402 ratings  ·  3,308 reviews

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's
Published June 4th 2013 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Moon and More, please sign up.
Jessica Kuzmier
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Caitlyn "Books Are My Life" Baker
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,570 books — 11,034 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,499 books — 12,263 voters

More lists with this book...

·  35,402 ratings  ·  3,308 reviews

Start your review of The Moon and More
Wendy Darling
Ever since I succumbed to peer pressure and read The Truth About Forever, I've been a fan of Sarah Dessen's. I know there are readers who dismiss her books as being too boring or too girly, and it's true that it's hard to pinpoint anything hugely dramatic that happens in her books plot-wise. But that's exactly what I like about her novels--they're about nothing and yet absolutely everything at the same time.

In the summer before college, Emaline is working at her family's vacation rental in the
Lux
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
After Reading:
I love Sarah Dessen, but did not love The Moon and More. The last 30 pages were better than the first 400, and I feel kind of guilty writing that. Oh well. Win some, lose some, doesn't really matter! Her books will always hold a special place in my heart.

Before Reading:
I get stupidly excited every time a new Sarah Dessen book is announced. I only hope the cross-over characters are a little more interesting this time! I’m also hoping we see Jason again, I’m so curious about him.
Laura Newcombe
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This? When? How? THISWHENHOW?! Oh. My. God. *faints*
"That's All" Ash
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
 photo download-5.png

Sarah Dessen \Sa-rah Des-sen\ ; noun : the reason why I failed Algebra II in high school.

No hard feelings or anything.

She’s just that badass.

What’s so kickass about this Sarah Dessen is that she doesn’t put her heroines on this high pedestal for us to read about and want to be like. Instead, she creates heroines who we can relate to . Her characters are flawed, and they probably can’t take down an entire city of villains, and they don’t always have perfect hair.

And I fucking love it!

photo 16101126.jpg

emma
WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY IS THIS.

The literal synopsis of this book is "Girl dates intolerable boy for 400 pages before realizing boy is intolerable. Book ends."

IT IS SO PAINFUL TO READ AHHHHH.

Sarah Dessen why would you do this to me.

Also later on in the book, said intolerable boy says "You're not just any other girl" (the ugly stepsister of "not like other girls") and our lovely protagonist is all wow........I really needed 2 hear that. So tru.

Basically even the good thing
Iffath
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
me on sarah dessen:
description

me when i heard about this:

I CAN'T FREAKIN' CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT YOU GUYS PLZ SEND HELP

Jun 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Giselle
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, arc
As my first Sarah Dessen novel I was a little worried as it seems people either love her books or don't, so it's a relief that I fall in with her fans. The Moon and More is an especially perfect beach read. It's lighthearted, it's fun, with a great summery atmosphere, and it has enough emotion to keep you fully immersed.

This book is not really about anything at all (and I say this in a positive light), or some may say it's about everything; it's about growing up. It spans one summer in
Mar 30, 2012 added it
Let this one be more original than her last two books, please God I'm begging you. Sarah Dessen's way of recycling past material (and lines!) makes me quite weary of her sometimes. I hope this one is a little more fresh.
Aimee
Apr 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
This sounds exactly like the same plot that Dessen uses in mostly all of her works -_-
[image error]

[image error]
Generally, the parents are divorced/one of them has remarried and has kids, both/one are academically demanding, one is dominantly absent, etc. The protagonist is an outsider to whatever small town she moves into, she meets a different, cute boy who has a side that only SHE gets to witness.
Really, Dessen? Really?
Kingsley would not approve.
Whatever. We'll see how "The Moon and More"
Pinky
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed reading this book but it wasn't my favorite, if I had to choose which one I liked best by Sarah Dessen. I don't know why, but I had a hard time warming up to one of the characters. And it bothered me through out the story because of the fact that he was one of the characters that we see often in a book. But
Cara
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
YES PLEASE!

This was my first reaction when I first heard that the impeccable Dessen was coming out with another book. Through many months and many title changes I awaited this book. I even past my most grueling semester yet and I would think, "Don't worry you'll get to read soon." And guess what book was on top of my to-read list? Yup, this one.

Emaline (I'm soooo tempted to type that name with two m's) lives in the beach town of Colby and we find her during the summer before she is to start
Jane
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-quite-there
ARGH I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THIS BUT SCREW IT I'M GIVING THIS TWO STARS.

Before all you loyal Sarah Dessen fanatics fans hurl me out of the fan club and toss my "SARAH FOREVER" badge into the garbage bin, hear me out, okay?

"Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough."

Yeah yeah, so what's the number
Kirsten
I can't wait! I've read all of Dessen's books, and I can tell you, she is my all-time-favorite-author!!! :3
Keertana
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

The Moon and More has a lot to love, but it's very different from a typical Dessen novel. I think, by now, we've all come to expect a certain type of book when we hear the name Sarah Dessen. Obviously contemporary with a heavy dose of character development, beautiful settings, and swoon. Not to mention rich secondary characters and always, always, always growth, if not self-discovery. And it's a formula that works, every time. While I am thrilled that Dessen chose to veer off
Chloe
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2018
Boring. The characters were annoying, the way the story was told as well as the writing were confusing and I didn't care at all for the romance, I despised it.

It was my first Sarah Dessen book and I'm quite disappointed. I own two other books from her, let's just hope they are better.
Taylor Knight
This is only my second Sarah Dessen book so I wasn't sure what to expect. And while I liked this book a lot, I didn't love it like I did Just Listen.

The Moon and More started out really great but I felt it became pretty slow early on. It's fairly large book, around 450 pages, and I felt like quite a bit could have been cut out. There was a lot of backstory and at times, I really didn't care about it.

I liked Emaline a lot but I didn't really care for either of the boys. And because I couldn't
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Read for The YA Room's Throwback Bingo Challenge!

Challenge Square: Stand-Alone

After giving some of Sarah's books a try, I'm starting to believe now that her writing style just isn't for me. The novel was slow-pacing, unlikable characters and lots of back story/info dumping. Set in the beach town of Colby, Emaline works a summer job and has a steady boyfriend, until Theo and his boss show up to film a documentary in the town. Soon, their paths collide and there is a lot to deal with: family
Kelsey
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
UPDATE: I got the book yesterday and immediately cracked it open and began to read. Sarah Dessen's words enticed me as always to the point where I never looked at the number of pages or cared how far I was into it. It was a bit different than her other books and I'm still not sure if I like that. It wasn't like Dreamland (my favorite by Sarah Dessen, I wish she would write another one like it), but it didn't follow her usual boy meets girl line. I still thought it was good, but it was one of my ...more
Arlene
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"The thing is, you can’t always have the best of everything. Because for life to be real, you need it all - good and bad, beach and concrete, the familiar and the unknown, big talkers and small towns…"

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen marks her newest YA contemporary release, which I was absolutely elated to get my hands on. I’ve been reading Dessen’s books for years, and I truly enjoy her writing, characters and beachside settings. To be able to jump into The Moon and More was sheer bliss, and
Brenna
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
How come no one told me there was a new Sarah Dessen book coming out sooner?!

*twiddles thumbs*

*checks calendar*

Update: Just finished! I liked this one - it actually is fairly different from most of Sarah Dessen's other books which is nice :) But it isn't one of my favourites by her either.

---

Guys, I have been reading Sarah Dessen for FOREVER. I grew up on her books, and because of that I feel like I've been stalking her newest release ever since I heard about it... over a year ago. Believe me,
Thomas
Queen Dessen, Empress Dessen, and Rock Star of YA Realistic Fiction Dessen - all titles I whispered while reading this book, usually after the words "bow down to..." After ten previously published novels, Sarah Dessen still has that signature prose style of hers - just enough telling and showing to suck you in while establishing back story, a setting that sits in the back of your mind when you close your eyes, and characters that you can believe in.

The summer after her senior year, Emaline has
Annie
Jun 18, 2012 marked it as to-read
i love her books! i really do but...
ENOUGH WITH THE SUMMER ROMANCE!!!
i just want more masterpieces like Dreamland :O
Lexi
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
So here's the thing, I actually am a fan of Sarah Dessen. The Truth About Forever is one of my favorite summer books. But this book really missed the mark for me. In this book, Dessen seemed to attempt a little more subtely than her typical sad girl meets dreamy boy who changes her life. Instead, the protagonist, Emaline, deals with two relationships, one her high school sweetheart, the other the tourist from the city. The book tries to tackle the question, how do you move forward without ...more
Natalia
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Most of the story was okay, but it was nothing special. However the ending really made up for that. That wasn't the typical contemporary YA romance ending. The main character doesn't end up with neither of her love interests. But it is still a happy ending. I love that here the main character doesn't need a boy to be happy. I love the sweet and cute books, in which the characters end up together, but it is really refreshing to see a heroine, which realizes that a boy isn't everything and has her ...more
Georgia
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
NEW SARAH DESSEN BOOK, SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Update 26/6/13:

This was so good! Loved it, loved it, loved it <3

Update 9/11/12:

Ooooh pretty cover! Sarah Dessen has such pretty covers <3
And, you know you're a prestigious author when your name's bigger than the title of the book. ;)

Annabel ♥
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
UPDATED 6/27/13

So I reread this, because I really hate to post a review with any kind of negativity in it when its Sarah Dessen, and let me just say, it was AMAZINGGGG! I can't believe i didn't enjoy it more the first time. I'd give this book 5 stars my second time reading it, so I'm averaging the two, hence the 4 stars :) I'll post a full review if I have time.

Now onto my slightly more negative first review (I don't agree with half of these things anymore, just saying )

You can find this
Aly
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 2018
One of my favorite things about Sarah Dessen's books is that while there is some romance, there's also family and friendship relationships that are as important, if not more. Emaline is sorting out her relationship with her father, who keeps hurting her and is selfish. She's also starting to understand her mom's position and want of a better life for her. I also like that even though there aren't sequels of her books, the author still gives us little glimpses of past characters, so they link ...more
Liviania
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A.J. Jacobs can try to dub realistic YA novels "GreenLit" all he likes; those of us who actually read the genre know DessenLit would be more accurate. Sarah Dessen is one of the queens of the genre, and she didn't get there by writing bad books. THE MOON AND MORE isn't one of her more romantic novels, but Emaline is a memorable heroine with an absorbing story.

(Please note that the above paragraph is not a knock on John Green. I love his novels too.)

Emaline is highly competent and not very
Roxanne
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-ebook
2.5 stars. Ugh, definitely not my favourite Dessen book. I had to push hard to get through, and it all seems a bit pointless now. I didn't love Emaline, but Theo was the absolute worst! I felt sorry for him a couple of times, but overall I could not stand him. He reminded me of Alec Baldwin's character in Friends! The only characters I liked were Benji and Daisy, and their roles were pretty minimal. So, bummer. First book of the year and it was a bust. On the upside, I have the entire year ahead ...more
Did anyone else want to give Benji's father a clop in the chops? 7 3 Aug 16, 2019 10:46AM
2018 Beyond the C...: The Moon and More 1 2 Jun 07, 2018 10:02AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen - Restarting April 6th 2018 63 199 Apr 13, 2018 09:31AM
UCAS English 10 H...: March Reading Assignment 1 2 Mar 13, 2018 05:45PM
Theo or Luke? 56 321 Nov 15, 2017 05:33PM

• Maybe This Time
  • Something Like Fate
  • Second Chance Summer
  • Carter's Big Break (Carter Finally Gets It, #2)
  • The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)
  • Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss (Love, Life, and the List, #2)
  • We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)
  • Love, Life, and the List (Love, Life, and the List, #1)
  • What I Thought Was True
  • Take Me There
  • The Six Rules of Maybe
  • Listen to Your Heart
  • The Unexpected Everything
  • Alex, Approximately
  • On the Fence
  • It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)
  • Open Road Summer
  • Lucky in Love
“Life is long. Just because you don't get your chance right when you want or expect it doesn't mean it won't come. Fate doesn't punch a time clock or consult a schedule.” 131 likes
“The truth was, there was no way everything could be the Best. Sometimes, when it came to events and people, it had to be okay to just be.” 106 likes