Start by marking “No Fits, Nilson!” as Want to Read:
No Fits, Nilson!

No Fits, Nilson!

Nilson and Amelia do everything together. But if one little thing goes wrong, Nilson throws the biggest, most house shaking-est fit ever! Amelia helps Nilson control his gorilla-sized temper by promising him banana ice cream and letting him play with her froggy coin purse. But, sometimes, Amelia needs to be calmed down, too.

Inspired by Ohora's own "negotiations" with his
Published June 13th 2013 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about No Fits, Nilson!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Fits, Nilson!

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Nilson - a blue gorilla with a beret! A beatnik blue gorilla that throws temper tantrums when he gets mad! I LOVE IT!
Betsy
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The small child is a frightening beast. A truly terrifying creature that can level the most powerful adult with the mere pitch of their fury laden screams. As a children’s librarian I used to tell my husband that mine was one of the few jobs I knew where an average day was punctuated by human sobs and screams of terror, misery, and fury. What then is the reasoning behind the idea that you should read a child a book about a fellow kiddo having a meltdown? Well, kids can get a lot out of that kind ...more
Matt
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Young Amelia is forced to deal with a pet gorilla, Nilson, whose fits sometimes prove troublesome for them both. However, Amelia discovers a way to lower the volume and the emotional output by Nilson. Neo sees the Nilson in him, though he wonders why I never offer him banana ice cream. Always the food with that kid!
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

No Fits, Nilson! By Zachariah Ohora was a wonderful, sweet story and surprise!

We all have our growly, grumpy tantrum days. No matter how old we get! :D Amelia and Nilson’s tale teaches and inspires kids of all ages to hold on to their patience and reel in the growls. I couldn’t help smiling every time itty-bitty Amelia tried to keep Nilson--a big blue gorilla--quiet and behaved. Haha….

Come meet this adorable pair. The twist at the end was my favorite part though. Mr. Ohora got me good! I did not
paula
"Amelia covers Nilson's mouth and stares him down with a gorilla eye lock, repeating the words 'banana ice cream' over and over."

There are two things I like very much here.

1) This acknowlegement that an overtired, impatient toddler is a very fragile thing, and can only be kept in check by means of hypnotic concentration and mantra-like murmured promises of ice cream.

2) The twist at the end that shows us the dual, near-schizophrenic nature of the child. All day Amelia has been urging Nilson to
Amy
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spoiler alert! Nilson is a gorilla who is prone to throwing temper tantrums and Amelia is his best friend. I read this book thinking, why is this little girl responsible for the behavior of the big blue gorilla? Isn't that sending an unhealthy message? But the twist at the end makes it all worthwhile -- the big blue gorilla is just a doll that Amelia carries with her everywhere she goes. So, now I see that the behavior she's controlling is her own and it's all good.
Becky Shaknovich
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really like Nilson's early 90s, Run DMC-like style.
Sandy Brehl
Nilson (the gorilla) and Amelia (his best friend) have super-sized personalities and share everything (except baths-Nilson is afraid of water). Amelia's minimalist features reveal her wide-ranging emotions, and Nilson's bold-lined features combine with his gestures and body language to demonstrate emotions that range even more widely and wildly. In the early pages we witness one of Nilson's impressive fits resulting in their shared time-out. (hint-hint)

From that point on Amelia makes it her miss
Dolly
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining and humorous tale about a little girl and her pal, a gigantic blue gorilla who really likes wristwatches. They help each other when they get frustrated and they work hard to control their emotional outbursts.

The narrative is fun to read aloud, but the illustrations are what won me over. I love the ending and despite the fact that this book is a bit too babyish for our girls (I would recommend it for toddlers and preschoolers), we really enjoyed reading this book together
Ro Menendez
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, amazing, conversation starter! This funny story of a fit-throwing-gorilla and how his human, Amelia, helps him get a grasp on his anger is funny, endearing, and a wonderful springboard to help young readers try to get a hold on their own fits, develop their own ways to help themselves and others. A surprise ending will have readers sighing "AWWWWWW!" I have more than a few young readers in mind that would really enjoy and benefit from O'Hara's brilliance.
Linda Lipko
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book of Nilson and Amelia. Nilson throws big house-shaking fits. Amelia's task is to calm him. Flying off at the slightest thing, Nilson is difficult, and then charming.
And, as the author shows, Amelia would be wise to heed her own advice, because sometimes she needs calming down as well.

This is a fun story and mode to talk to little ones (and big ones) about how others react when emotions are out-of control.
Samantha
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amelia and her favorite playmate, Nilson, are prone to fits, but with a little reframing they are able to keep each other's tantrums in check.

Acrylic illustrations are vibrant and creative; I love the image of Amelia staring the message "banana ice cream" into Nilson's focused eyes. PreK-2.
Rebecca Honeycutt
AAAAh-dorable. OHora's funky, chunky illustrations are fantastically fun to look at, and kids will appreciate a book that recongnizes just how hard good behavior can be.
Jonathan
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Love the illustrations, the page where she locks eyes with him and reflects "banana ice cream" to him, and the surprise at the end!
Storywraps
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amelia, the little ferocious heroine of the book, has a best friend who is a mammoth, blue gorilla. His name is Nelson and they are very, very close indeed. They do everything together and are inseparable. One day by mistake she knocks over his building blocks and he erupts with the "biggest, most house shaking-est fit ever!!!' Amelia steps in as his comforter, mentor and "mother". She helps poor Nelson to regain his composure on many occasions after that outburst. She offers him her precious fr ...more
picturethisbook.com
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
This is a brilliant book that helps kids to recognise that tantrums are unnecessary, by giving them an objective, third-person perspective of the situation in the form of a sweet and entertaining story about a little girl Amelia who is best friends with Nilson the gorilla.

Everything is fine and dandy most of the time, except when Nilson throws the biggest fits over the tiniest things — something that many toddlers are apt to do. Thankfully, Amelia understands Nilson well and has some tricks up
Mark
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
From Publishers Weekly:

When one is a small child with a temper, it helps to have a friend whose temper is even worse. Amelia’s closest pal is a mammoth blue gorilla named Nilson, and when she accidentally knocks over his building block structure, he has "the biggest, most house shaking-est fit ever!!" The techniques Amelia uses to help Nilson maintain his composure while running errands with Amelia’s mother are hilariously familiar: she hands him her froggy purse to hold in a slow-moving post of
Aaron Wyckoff
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
In No Fits, Nilson!, Amelia and Nilson go everywhere and do everything together. The problem is, whenever something goes wrong, Nilson throws a major fit, and Amelia must do whatever she can to calm him. OHora has crafted a short but highly relatable story of temper tantrums that recognizes how little it can take to spark one but which also offers encouragement for controlling them. The acrylic paintings have a cartoon-like quality to them and effectively support and expand upon the story. The f ...more
Cheryl
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Ok, the ending makes it clear that the little girl is learning to control her reactions to her own frustrations. Still, the primary message I see is that the best way to get your kids not to throw a fit is to bribe them. Maybe I was lucky, but I almost never needed to bribe any of mine, and I don't think it's a good idea.

(Not-so) fun fact:
Did you know that virtually all banana trees are genetically identical? That of course makes them very vulnerable to a sudden adaptation of pest or disease. Wh
Jayna
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All ages

Nilson the gorilla has a lot of fits for little reasons. Amelia must keep reminding Nilson not to have fits throughout the day. When the finally get ice cream at the end of the day for being so good there is only enough banana ice cream for one cone. At this news Amelia throws a fit and Nilson gives her the ice cream telling her not to have a fit and that he will have chocolate instead.

This would be a good book to recommend to parents to talk to their children about having fits and why
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amelia's gorilla friend Nilson throws the occasional fit when life doesn't go his way. He uses his best behavior at the grocery store but is about to burst in line at the post office. Using a variety of strategies -- holding a froggy coin purse, remembering a promised treat on the way home -- keeps Nilson and Amelia on their best behavior.

A fabulous read aloud for any child, especially preschool aged, prone to pitching fits. The final page reveals that Nilson is a stuffed gorilla, a detail that
Emilia P
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-stuff
Some adults could use this book. Myself included. But...it's just ok. The illustrations are great. Who doesn't love a big blue gorilla with too many watches and a funky little hat? I sure do. And the tales of him doing a pretty good job not losing his temper are nice, but ultimately there's a lack of symmetry, predictability, or flow, that makes this book less than fantastic for me. Sure, it's great that he gets ice cream, but, eh. I guess I was just hoping for a few more fits.
Chris
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this wonderful story, a little girl appears to comfort her big gorilla as he deals with disappointments through out the day. After a long day of soothing her gorilla, the little girl has a melt down over the last banana ice cream. In a sweet gesture, Nilson decides to give her his cone. In a twist, we see the little girl laying in bed with Nilson (now a tiny stuffed gorilla) as she drifts off to sleep.
KidsBooksWorthReading
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is well loved at our house. Such a fun story to about such an annoying topic. Fits.. I love Zachariah OHora's unique illustrations and his color scheme is the best. Don't you want Nilson as a best buddy too?! 💛 #kidsbooksworthreading #kidsbook #kidsbooks #kidlit #childrensliterature #kidsbookstagram #nofitsnilson #zachariahohora #dialbooks #dialbooksforyoungreaders
Emily
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Great for kids with anger management problems. Cute illustrations too with fun sound effects for read-alouds. Also amusing when the library barcode gets placed over the title so it reads "No Tits, Nilson!" Riiiiiiiiiight...
Rekha
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This sounds super weird but there was something sort of ominous to me about this book, which I don't think was the intention. It was like Nilson was some volatile adult entity and this poor kid has to negotiate around his scary outbursts.
Kelly
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amelia and Nilson are best friends, even though Nilson is a big blue monster who is prone to throwing fits if he doesn't like something. Great kid-appropriate story.
Kimberly
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The adult in me likes this book way more than the children's librarian in me. I think it would go over kids' heads and cause confusion, even when reading aloud and explaining the ending.
Nadine
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sel, picture-books
Great book for showing young kids that everyone has trouble controlling their frustrations. Nilson the gorilla (with 6 watches - nice touch) goes through the day encountering boring and frustrating moments while Amelia (and her mom) try different tactics to keep him calm - or is it the other way around?
Good read aloud. From age 6/7 onwards they get the clue - younger they seem to think she was dreaming and that's why Nilson is suddenly small at the end.
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 -- I have mixed feeling about this book. It's good in the sense you can show kids how silly they look when they throw fits. But on the down side it teaches that we need to buy things to stop fits, or promise things. This behavior helps no one. So while the story is fun, it's not one I would read to my kids on a regular basis.

• How To
  • Rain!
  • The Story of Fish and Snail
  • Giant Dance Party
  • Little Owl's Orange Scarf
Zachariah OHora is the illustrator of the New York Times best seller Wolfie the Bunny. His debut as an author, Stop Snoring Bernard! won the 2011 Society of Illustrators Founders Award and was the 2012 State of PA Dept of Ed One book. His follow up, Not Fits Nilson! was named the Huffington Post Best Children's Book of 2013, a Kirkus Best Picture Book of 2013, a New York Public Library Book for Re ...more