Start by marking “New Lands (The Chronicles of Egg, #2)” as Want to Read:
New Lands (The Chronicles of Egg, #2)

New Lands

(The Chronicles of Egg #2)

This highly anticipated sequel to Rodkey's much-praised debut is funny, heartfelt, and action-packed. Don't miss it!
After a narrow escape from Deadweather Island, Egg and his slightly deranged partner Guts head for the remote New Lands. They’re in search of the lost Okalu tribe, who hold the key to the mysterious treasure map that Egg can't decipher.
But the ruthless Roge
Published May 2nd 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Bonnie
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
A copy of New Lands was provided to me by Putnam for review purposes.

After being completely charmed by 'Deadweather and Sunrise' picking up 'New Lands' was a given. Comparatively, New Lands is less funny and more serious but still so full of heart. Egg and Guts set out on a journey to discover the Fire King's lost treasure before it can fall into the hands of the wrong man. Their journey is a bleak one and considering what they seek, it's difficult for them to judge just w
Brenda
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
New Lands is the second book in the Chronicles of Egg. I have come to care about the characters of these books and to wonder how their society and culture evolved. Nothing is quite as it seems – Egg is running for his life. He has discovered the truth behind too many secrets and Roger Pembroke needs him silenced. Roger Pembroke wants to create his own empire. To do this he must sow the seeds of distrust, feign alliances where none exist and create a facade of charity to mask the cruelty of slave ...more
Charlotte
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Egg, Millicent and Guts are back for their next adventure in the second offering from Geoff Rodkey in the Chronicles of Egg.

This adventure is just as quirky and fun as the first. And while their aren't any field pirates, there are some fun new characters. We also learn quite a bit more about all of our main characters. In particular Guts becomes more of a rounded out real person. Rodkey gives us some beautiful glimpses into Guts' soul and hints at his past. I can only hope the next installment w
Melanie
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
New Lands is a bit darker than the first book in this series, but it doesn't fall into the issues some second books of series do. It is still super fun, fast and I never felt like the author was trying to drag it out to hit some word count or extend the series to three books. I love Egg, I love Guts, and will probably at some point start saying "Nuts to that" in his honor.

Millicent is still her brave sassy self and when she shows up all haggard and smelly and all-around unattractive to Egg, I wa
Eve
*sigh* know what I think of cliffhangers? Nuts to that! Agreeing with the other reviews that New Lands is a little darker than Deadweather and Sunrise, but it's still as exciting and full of adventure.

Guts is still my favourite character. He's a handful and maybe not at all there in the head, but he's a riot. I also can't wait to learn more about Burn Healy.
Rick Stuckwisch
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great book in an excellent series. Compelling story, with plenty of action, intrigue, humor, and suspense, and really well developed characters. Quite a treat. Looking forward to the conclusion of the trilogy.
Librariansteph
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The rare second in a series that lives up to the promise of the first!
Ayman Naz
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kaleena Melotti
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
New Lands is the second installment of The Chronicles of Egg series and it definitely still grabbed my attention from the get-go. Picking up right where book 1 stopped, we're instantly transported back into the action of Egg and Guts attempting to find the Fire King's lost treasure so that it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

New Lands is a solid continuation of Egg's story. Rodkey does an amazing job of transporting you to all the destinations that the boys encounter on their journey. This book
Xander ForeverBookish
Here’s my review for the ARC I received of New Lands. Thank you Penguin for providing me the ARC! Enjoy! After Egg’s standdown to Pembroke, he is going away. He knows Pembroke will try to find him and get the map from him, so he travels with Guts to Pella Nonna in the New Lands. In just three weeks, Guts has become a famous guitar player whom everyone knows, but that is proving to be a distraction to finding the treasure before Pembroke does. But then something happens after meeting an Okalu gir ...more
Heidi
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was great meeting up with Egg again. Egg makes an appealing hero. While far from perfect, he always tries his hardest to do what he feels is right. Unfortunately, when you have a wealthy, powerful man trying to kill you and a treasure map you can't interpret it becomes very difficult to know what the right thing is. With the help of new friends and old friends, Egg tries to find a way to the Okalu people, hoping to find someone able to help him decipher the map. But unfortunately, he runs int ...more
Jessica
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since I was so very charmed by Geoff Rodkey's first installment in the Chronicles of Egg series, I couldn't wait to read New Lands! I was looking forward to more adventures, and greatly hoping that some of my questions from the last book would be answered. I was nervous as I turned the first page.

Luckily, I had nothing to worry about. New Lands turned out to be just as quirky and enjoyable as its predecessor. Rodkey reintroduces our faithful travelling companions and then, best of all, gives us
Kristen
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first book in this series Deadweather and Sunrise left me hanging on what was going to happen next to Egg, his friend Guts and the lovely and smart Millicent. I must say, my favorite character hands down is Guts. The way that Egg met him was insane and the way that Guts acts in the first book will make you horrified and amused at the same time. This book is where we see another side of Guts, one of musical genius and a more gentle heart. At least, for a little bit. I love the foreign curses ...more
The Grimm Reader
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2013, own
Let the Chronicles continue!

The Chronicles of Egg: New Lands #2 by Geoff Rodkey.
This book was the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved book one, and I couldn’t wait for this one! And it was so worth the wait!
I loved how he started the story, I thought he did everything I’m always talking about. His books have some much in them, it makes it really easy for everyone to want to read it. It’s got something for almost everyone.
This is a mostly serious book, but there was more than a few really funny parts that
Kristi Bernard
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Egg is at it again. Still on the run from Pembrook and his scary forces, he is desperate to survive. This latest adventure has him and his only friend Guts looking for the Fire Kings treasure. The only problem is the map they have is in a language neither of them speak. They are enroute via a ship called Thrush to find a Okalu native to translate the map. Tracking down an Okalu native creates more adventures within itself, but Egg had no idea it would involve kidnapping. Egg is introduced to new ...more
Mandy
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won, juvenile
I received this Advanced Uncorrected Galley copy for free through Goodreads First Reads.

oh my goodness! Second books in a series are usually not quite as good as the first, but this one was on par with first. It expands Egg's world as his adventure continues. There are as many pirates and even more dangers.

Egg and Guts are off to find the Okalu to get the map translated, but their plans never go as expected. They finally end up at the destination, but they learn that Pembroke is up to no good a
Venus Smurf
I won this as part of a Firstreads giveaway, and since it looked a bit like a kid's book and wasn't even the first in the series, I put it aside for a little while. I wish I hadn't. Though I want to buy the first book now, the second one was entertaining enough that I would have kept reading even if the author hadn't shared enough of the first story for the second to make sense.

This book was funny, the protagonist intelligent and likeable, and the story had such a great mix of emotion and advent
Pam Torres
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Enter to win a copy! And see the complete review @ http://soimfifty.blogspot.com/2013/08/kid-lit-giveaway-hop-month-of-giveaways.html

Having four son's and now five grandson's, I'm always on the lookout for a good adventure series. Pirates. Are you kidding me, who can resist them after Jack Sparrow, am I right? As a writer, author and grandmother there are a few other things I look for in an exceptional middle grade fiction. The character has to be believable and I have to care. Egg is the perfec
Mark Baker
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, 2014
Egg and Guts are headed to the New Lands to try to find the treasure map they've found. But their journey will be dangerous with hostile Natives and a settlement that has an edict against foreigners. Will they survive long enough to explore the wilderness?

A great middle grade novel, this one picks up where the first one ended (so read it first). The characters are fun, charming, and feel real. The plot takes some great twists and I was shocked a time or two by what Egg learns along the way. Can
Teresa Bateman
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I fell into "The Chronicles of Egg" series quite by accident and am enjoying it thoroughly. Eggbert's life is complicated. In the first book he lost his father and brother and sister to an evil man, while falling love with that man's daughter. In this, the second book, Egg and his friends are trying to find an ancient treasure, battle slavery of the native people, and survive. The survival part is the hardest. What with slavers, pirates, native sacrifices, and unexpected surprises...not to menti ...more
Amy
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween-novel, children
Hadn't read the first one but picked this one up for an awards committee I sit on. Fun and exciting adventure read.

It is a tricky target audience because the main character has a romance (nothing offensive in the least) but probably not something my 5th grade boy patrons are going to want to read about. On the other hand, teens might find this a bit young. That leaves me with recommending it to tween girls and the boys that won't gag the first time the word "love" is brought up.

Despite that, a
Akoss
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is book one x2. Action packed.
Trouble comes knocking right at the first chapter. There are twists at every turn and you just can't guess what can possibly go wrong next and yet something always does.
Characters almost all came with a few surprises of their own. Some I saw coming but most? nope. I was windblown.
And what a cliffhanger of an ending. I can't believe I have to wait for book 3. It's painful.
Sally
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a good continuation of the Chronicles of Egg. I did get a little bogged down during the trek across the island and some of the more obvious scrapes the characters blundered into. But, alas, there is one more book in the series to come, so before Egg can claim Millicent, fix the problems with the orchard and the pirates, he has to help his uncle avert (or win!) a war and come out on top. Tough to do, but he's got great friends and a very lukewarm family to help him!
Tonette
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won the first installment of this trilogy from a blog and read it with my grandson, or started to; I jumped ahead! We both anxiously awaited this second in the series, but wondered if the story could be sustained. I should not have worried.Geoff Rodkey has managed to surprise us with his developments with new, and familiar characters. We both enjoyed "New Lands" very much.It managed to satisfy, yet make us anxious for the finale.
Joy
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I like to read books outside the genre I normally read, I know this type of book is highly popular. It wasn't a bad read at all, it just isn't my style. Part of the story were interesting and surprising, I can see why people enjoy this genre.

It's well written, challenging, and has a neat storyline. Would I read more in this series? Yes, I will.

***I won this book on Goodreads as a first reads giveaway. This is my honest review.***
Ashley
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another delightful adventure story by Geoff Rodkey. His plot keeps you in the plight from the beginning to end. With his cliffhanger ending, I cannot wait to read the third.

Favorite quote in the book:
"The panicky feeling in my gut was spreading. As I stared back at him, I began to realize there might be something worse than being scared.
And that was being all alone in the world." (P. 17)
Andrea
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the first book in this series, but I have to say that after reading the second, I'm hooked! I don't know how I'll wait for the next part of the story because the end of book 2 really hooked me! What a great adventure read. I love that serious themes are not only introduced, but dealt with in a respectful, age-appropriate manner.
Lynn
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the "Chronicles of Egg" series, as exciting and captivating as the first. Weaving the very adult concepts of greed for power, political deceit and murder into an exceptionally well-written series aimed at younger readers, Geoff Rodkey has established himself as a master craftsman in the same league as Robert Louis Stevenson.
Megan
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is probably one of the funniest books I've ever read. I was embarrassed to read it in class because I was afraid someone would think I was weird for constantly smiling at my book. Of course, if they read Chronicles of Egg, they would understand why I kept smiling and smirking.

You should definitely read the Chronicles of Egg.
Family Nehila
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephen
There is a surprising plot twist in the end. This book was adventurous and funny. I left the book hoping for a sequel because there wasn't any information about it. I recommend this book to all fourth graders in the universe.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cloneward Bound (The Clone Chronicles, #2)
  • Smells Like Pirates
  • No Safe Ground
  • The Lost Kingdom
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)
  • Starbounders
  • Parched
  • Fiery Edge of Steel (Noon Onyx, #2)
  • A world of trouble (Merits of Mischief #2)
  • Bayport Buccaneers (Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #16)
  • Cease and Desist (The IMA, #4)
  • The Island of Thieves (Tom Trelawney #1)
  • Other Worlds
  • A Breach in Death
  • The Whites of Their Eyes (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #3)
  • Undercurrents (Summer Westin Mystery #3)
  • Code Name 711 (Double Vision #2)
  • Demon Lord (Demon Lord, #1)
Geoff Rodkey is the author of the New York Times bestseller THE TAPPER TWINS GO TO WAR (WITH EACH OTHER) and its sequels; the critically acclaimed CHRONICLES OF EGG adventure-comedy series; THE STORY PIRATES PRESENT: STUCK IN THE STONE AGE, a comic novel bundled with a how-to guide for kids who want to create stories of their own; and the forthcoming science fiction novel WE'RE NOT FROM HERE (Marc ...more

The Chronicles of Egg (3 books)
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • Blue Sea Burning (The Chronicles of Egg #3)