Start by marking “The Day the Crayons Quit” as Want to Read:
The Day the Crayons Quit

The Day the Crayons Quit

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  12,603 ratings  ·  1,853 reviews
Grca_badge_winner
Poor Duncan just wants to color. But when he opens his box of crayons, he finds only letters, all saying the same thing: We quit!

Beige is tired of playing second fiddle to Brown. Blue needs a break from coloring all that water, while Pink just wants to be used. Green has no complaints, but Orange and Yellow are no longer speaking to each other.

What is Duncan to do? Debut
Published June 27th 2013 by Philomel Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Day the Crayons Quit, please sign up.

Uri Newman No. I think when he entered the wolrd of the crayons he easily imagined what problems they have. somehow the blue and the red are too similar, in my…moreNo. I think when he entered the wolrd of the crayons he easily imagined what problems they have. somehow the blue and the red are too similar, in my opinion. Both complaining about over-use.(less)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime
90th out of 1,391 books — 1,332 voters
Journey by Aaron BeckerThe Dark by Lemony SnicketThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltFlora and the Flamingo by Molly IdleMr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter  Brown
2014 Mock Caldecott
3rd out of 78 books — 204 voters

More lists with this book...

Rusty
Potential Plagiarism? So I've now read The Day the Crayons Quit (Drew Daywalt/Oliver Jeffries) and well, I'm disappointed. It tells the story of Duncan, a little boy who comes home to find his crayons missing and a stack of letters in their place. Each letter is from a different color, and bears an unhappy grievance. The colors say they are overused and so Duncan...uses them? Sorry Red! And too bad Blue! Your days are numbered. And go home Yellow! According to Duncan's picture at the end, Orange ...more
Ronyell
Crayons

Now, I have been looking around for some picture books that were heavily raved about by various readers and I just happened to stumble upon this unique book called “The Day the Crayons Quit” by Drew Daywalt along with illustrations by Oliver Jeffers. Honestly, this book was truly creative and interesting to read all the way through!

One day in class, Duncan decided to take out his crayons to start drawing a picture when he suddenly got a stack of letters that were all address to him. When Duncan
Becky
This book was mentioned in a conversation here on Goodreads, with a link to a reading on Youtube, so I watched it. And I kinda loved it.

The book is short, as most children's books are, so the reading was only 7 minutes long, but I almost wish that it was longer, that the pictures were shown more, and that I could really appreciate the art that these crayons produced. They give of themselves, and only ask to be appreciated and fairly used in return... but when they feel mistreated, they decide t
Betsy
It is possible to read too much into a picture book. A funny statement since what were talking about is literature for people who haven't even seen a decade of time pass them by. But historically picture books have been places where prejudices are both intentionally and unintentionally on display. Yet for every Denver by David McKee (a picture book about the beauty of trickle down economics) you'll find fifty people reading WAY too much into something like Rainbow Fish (Communist propaganda) or ...more
Erica
This is one of the funniest picture books, laugh-out-loud funny, I've read in a long time. One day, a little boy Duncan goes to get his crayons and instead finds a stack of letters. All of his crayons have written him a letter expressing their grievances and why they have quit. They are not a happy bunch, red is overworked, blue is stumpy and tired of being the favorite color year after year, and yellow and orange are arguing over who is the true color of the sun. Their argument is making the ot ...more
Lisa Vegan
I haven’t been reading many picture books lately, but with large groups of college students above and below me (don’t get me started) while I can’t focus on my current novel, I was able to concentrate on a picture book, and thanks to Goodreads friend Kathryn for encouraging me to read this particular book, and due to it being due at the library Monday, I just read it, and I’m glad I did.

It’s a fun book, funny and sweet and perceptive. It’s got terrific art (having the illustrator being the same
Amy
Stop the presses--the best new Children's book of 2013 is in and it is "The Day the Crayons Quit", no arguments.
Hysterical story of a poor, little boy who goes to school to discover numerous handwritten (in crayon of course) aggrieved letters from his crayons. They are pissed off. Some are being used too much (blue) some are not being used at all (white) and some are in disputes with one another (orange vs. yellow). Much drama in the crayon box and they have all decided to QUIT.
I embarrassed mys
Kristin
I don't always review books that my son brings home from the school library (unless I love or HATE them haha) but this one made the 2013 Goodreads Choice Awards and several of you have it on your "to-read" list.

First, my son and I really enjoyed the story and the illustrations; he had to examine the expressions of each crayon and discuss their moods and well as the pictures that were drawn using the crayons.

I loved the authors unique concept. So many children's books tend repeat the same theme
Janene
One of the things I love about an occasional visit to Barnes and Noble is getting my hands on a darling (brand spanking new) little gem like this in the children's book section.

I read it to myself. Smiled a lot. Then I called Zach over and read it to him. And I'm putting it on my to-read shelf, only so I can remember to for sure find it again and read it to my other little guys. Sometimes I think I would make an excellent children's book buyer for my local library. :o)

One day Duncan pulls out hi
Rachel
The crayons are tired, overworked, and emotionally unhappy...they want a break. In a series of letters to their boy Duncan, each crayon describes how it has been used, what it has drawn, and how it makes them feel. Each note is written in the respective crayon's colour in a childish hand. With certain words emphasized all in capitals, and awkward letters strewn throughout, truly one could believe a child wrote these, except for the perfect spelling which betrays the books adult author.

To make th
Kaethe
The Day the Crayons Quit - Drew Daywalt
The crayons quit because they're all a bit tired of coloring the same old things. Each crayon writes a separate letter, explaining exactly what they're each tired off. [The letters look really good, by the bye] and there's a sample of the coloring they're talking about.

The good news is, Duncan is a responsible crayon owner, and does his best to accede to their requests. The result is fabulous.

Creative and amusing.

The more I think about it, the more I am in
midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 3 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. Even though advanced readers can read on their own, I'd highly recommend this one being a family read. Just an adorable story and so unique. Even though it was a level 3 read, my twin 3 yr olds loved it as well, and all my kids were tickled "pink" (pun intended) that the crayons revolted. A must have for any children's libra ...more
Mary Borgese
What an amazing book this is for children to read or have read to them. Drew Daywalt writes this creatively hilarious picture book story about crayons that have had enough and are complaining to their owner about the hard work they put into coloring all different kinds of characters that illustrate the same color they are. On top of that, some crayons write about how they are never used or they are used only for certain pictures and not others. The illustrations, drawn by Oliver Jeffers, work pe ...more
Betty BookRock
Oh my goodness, this book was fabulous!!!! The Baby Bettys giggled and so did Mr. Betty & I! The illustrations are adorable, and the letters from the crayons are hilarious! The Baby Bettys found the Peach Crayon to be the most fascinating. Upon finishing the book they immediately peeled the paper off of every peach crayon in the house! Personally, I got a kick out of the Yellow and Orange crayons fighting over who should be used to color the sun! So, so cute-- we have read it about a dozen t ...more
Amber J.
Nov 29, 2014 Amber J. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I don't think I enjoyed a children's book this much since I read Dr. Seuss books years ago when I was a kid. I bought two copies of this book for my godchildren, but I should have bought another one just for me lol--it's that much fun.
R.S. Carter
When your kid has read this book several times at school, several more times at the library, and still insists that you MUST BUY IT FOR HIM, it's a good book. Although I think it's a little young for him, the idea of personified crayons really tickled his imagination. I read it to him tonight and you know what? It was really fun.
Aimee *just one more page...*

Hilarious book for my boys (as well as me and hubby). It's always nice to read a kid's book that appeals to adults as well. It was filled with imagination, creativity, and a great deal of humor.

Marilyn
This book is a winner for sure. It is absolutely one for your private collection, a must-have, a keeper. It is a debut book for the author, Drew Daywalt, and Oliver Jeffers is "THE illustrator" man to partner with. The book is narrated by individual disgruntled crayons who have their "day in court" and try to explain their grievances to their owner Duncan.

Duncan just wants to colour but when he opens up his crayon box he is confronted with letters of protest from each of its residents. Red is u
Tasha
Duncan is all set to color, but when he opens his crayon box he finds all sorts of letters written to him by his crayons. And they are all letters of complaint! First, Red wants to complain about being overworked because of all of his work on apples and fire engines. He even works holidays like Christmas and Valentine’s Day! Other crayons like Beige are complaining about not being used enough. Then there is the feud between Orange and Yellow about how is the real color of the sun, since Duncan u ...more
Marnie
I read this because it won The Goodreads Choice Award 2013-Picture Book (I am making a point of reading the winners). Reading it from an adult's perspective at first I thought the crayons were whiny but then I started to chuckle. Thinking outside the box seems to be the message. Cute.
Amber
I just heard someone read this like an audiobook and they did a great job. You can go see the video of them reading it here! I enjoyed seeing the pictures of the book while they read it. The audiobook reader is Rachel Hanlin.:

This was a story about a little boy named Duncan and his crayons who had all sent him letters saying they were tired and needed a break or were not used at all or felt left out.

This is a pretty good children's book so definitely chec
Tatiana
This is a hilarious, creative book of letters from a group of disgruntled crayons, expressing their dismay with their young owner, Duncan. I'm hard pressed to pick my favorite crayon letter, but beige's words had me laughing, and the war between yellow and orange was a hoot. The letters written by Drew Daywalt are pure, humorous joy and the illustrations by Oliver Jeffers are made for giggles. For ages four and up.
Kathryn
Outstanding! Worth all the hype. I loved it. Wonderfully creative, humorous, and wise. The letters from each crayon are such a hoot, yet speak to such deeply human emotions and relationships. And I got such a big smile out of the ending. Highly recommended!
Katy
Ever wonder how the crayons in your crayon box are feeling? Well, now you can know. I'll give you a hint. Red crayon is pissed.
Rossy
Cute book :)
Poor, naked peach! But it got me to laugh so hard!
Natasha Calderon
BOOK TITLE: Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt
SHORT DESCRIPTION: This is a funny story written from the point of view of a box of crayons. They all write letters to their child about their different problems and what they want to change. In the end the child solves all their problems to create a beautiful picture.
FOCUS: Narrative Mini-Lesson – Point of View
A funny book that shows many different points of view through the use of written letters to one character. It is often hard for young chil
Katya Vinogradova
Award-winning authors Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers unite to create this tale of the crayons that decided to unite and restore equality among colors. Sounds like a rather big premise for a rather small children's book, and, indeed, the fight turns out to be big, but peaceful - each crayon gets a chance to express their concerns in an orderly fashion.

Duncan, the boy who owns the box of rebellious crayons, comes home one day to find a bunch of letters addressed to him, each in a different color.
babyhippoface
I read this before I left for a 10-day mission trip, so my mind has forgotten most of the details. Let it suffice to say that I thought it was very clever, funny, and art teachers might want to use it when they introduce discussions on color, how it is used, and thinking outside the box. Or coloring outside the lines. Whichever. Either way, it's a fun book.

I have read some reviews that are very critical because the peach crayon complains of being naked when Duncan peels the wrapper off, and the
Alex Baugh
When I was in school, and even when I was teaching in a classroom, Friday afternoons were always reserved for arts and crafts. In the early grades, from 1st to 3rd, it was the time we drew pictures, or made cards for any given holiday or even illustrated something from a social studies lesson we had during the week. I loved Friday afternoons in school, I loved the smell of my Crayolas, I loved arts and crafts.

So, when I picked up a copy of The Day the Crayons Quit, I was immediately taken back
Aeicha

The Day the Crayons Quit, by Drew Daywalt, is a hilarious tale about the day the crayons have just had enough! This awesomely original story is clever, laugh-out-loud funny, and perfectly illustrated. The story begins with Duncan taking out his box of crayons only to find a stack of letters. Each letter, written by a different colored crayon, tells of that crayon's woes, complaints, and demands.

This book is just too cute and entertaining! Like me, younger readers will love how each crayon has it
Synopsis/Annotation 1 5 Feb 02, 2015 03:05PM
Goodreads Choice ...: The Day the Crayons Quit - July 2014 20 83 Jan 07, 2015 04:37AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 9 - The Day the Crayons Quit 1 2 Aug 13, 2014 09:47AM
Henrico Youth Boo...: The Day the Crayons Quit by Dre Daywalt 4 21 Nov 14, 2013 12:08PM
Trinity Episcopal...: The Day the Crayons Quit 1 7 Aug 29, 2013 02:31PM
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
  • Mr. Tiger Goes Wild
  • Exclamation Mark
  • Carnivores
  • Open This Little Book
  • The Snatchabook
  • That Is Not a Good Idea!
  • Tea Rex