Start by marking “Al Capone Does My Homework (Tales from Alcatraz, #3)” as Want to Read:
Al Capone Does My Homework (Tales from Alcatraz, #3)

Al Capone Does My Homework

(Tales from Alcatraz #3)

Alcatraz Island in the 1930s isn't the most normal place to grow up, but it's home for Moose Flanagan, his autistic sister, Natalie, and all the families of the guards. When Moose's dad gets promoted to Associate Warden, despite being an unlikely candidate, it's a big deal. But the cons have a point system for targeting prison employees, and his dad is now in serious dange ...more
Published August 20th 2013 by Dial Books (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Al Capone Does My Homework, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Al Capone Does My Homework (Tales from Alcatraz, #3)
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
NOOOOOOOOOO! I have to wait till Fall 2017 for book 4. I absolutely looooooove this middle grade series! Highly suggest the audio version of this book. There is nothing I didn't love about this book. If you want a funny, heartfelt series that makes you LOL and cry, then this is your series!
Catherine Linka
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Clearly, I don't hand out 5 stars every day. A book has to be darn near perfect to earn one.

I was hesitant, because even though I'd read the first of Choldenko's Al Capone Does books, I hadn't read the second. No worries, because the story picked right up.

Choldenko's prose is effortless, the voice perfect. She takes us back to Alcatraz and the gang of young friends who live on an island populated by prisoners and guards.

The mystery this time is a fire that burns out the main character's apartm
Emily Scheinman
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emily by: Publisher
Bravo Gennifer! What a treat to be back on Alcatraz with Moose, Annie, Natalie and the gang. Loved the development of the characters, the pacing of the plot and the abundance of humor (who knew belly buttons and cockroaches could have so many uses!)
Josiah
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
If Al Capone Does My Shirts is the best of Gennifer Choldenko's first three Al Capone at Alcatraz books—and I think it is—the other two are no less fresh, uniquely engaging historical fiction. To set a novel during a specific time period (the 1930s) on an island where a strictly limited number of people lived is atypical of historical literature. There isn't a huge population to hide the characters within; what they do is bound to be noticed if it causes a major stir, and authors of historical ...more
Sophia
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, historical-fiction, mg
My ongoing eager enjoyment of this series continued into this third book of the Tales From Alcatraz series. Not to be disloyal to books one and two, but book three, Al Capone Does My Homework, really sparkled with so many good elements and that something better that just gave it some extra shine.

Moose is told by his mom and Natalie's teacher that he needs to help her learn some of the social graces like making eye contact. Meanwhile, his dad starts his new assignment as the Assistant Warden and
Emily M
The plot isn't as tight this time around, but Moose is as endearing as ever, his dad is amazing, and we were very satisfied with the the character development of Natalie, Annie, and especially what happens with Piper! Three and a half stars.
Davis Smith
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I always feel sorry when the book ends and I have to leave the fascinating Alcatraz world of the characters in this series. This one doesn't have as much humor and insight as the first two, but I still gave it 4 stars because of the originality of the whole thing.
Miriam
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Began this with trepidation Could Choldenko turn out a third book of the same caliber as the first two in the series? And...she did! I was most pleased with the development of the characters we've come to care about and charmed by their changing relationships. Natalie lifts my spirits and Moose touches my heart.
Karin
Moose's dad has been promoted to assistant Warden, and naturally Darby Trixle is jealous and unhappy about this. However, Moose and his family have much bigger problems when their apartment catches fire while Moose is watching Natalie and has fallen asleep. Naturally Trixle starts accusing Natalie, which isn't surprising, but what is odd is that Al Capone appears to have redone a paper Moose wrote but has added some odd comments to it.

Piper is up to her usual manipulative behaviour, Annie has sp
QNPoohBear
January 1936: Moose's dad has been promoted to Associate Warden - ahead of Darby Trixel. Darby was sure he'd get that promotion and he is super mad. Moose knows he has to look out for his dad and protect him against Trixel and the cons, but how can he do that and be a normal kid? He also has to look after Natalie, who is home on vacation. Natalie is supposed to be working on eye contact and she stubbornly refuses to do it. Moose is frustrated by his sister's "funny business" but he's quick to de ...more
Van Bradshaw
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The theme to this book is Is if you don't have friends you wouldn't have as much fun. An example of this is all of Moose's friends, Piper and Theresa greeting him to the island. The other example is when they all hung out and did stuff together and had a good time.
Charles
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
In this book, Moose Flanagan ( the narrator ) is a 13 year old boy who is living on the island Alcatraz was built on. As a thirteen year old kid, Moose feels responsible to take care and protect his older sister and his father from any potential harm the prisoners may cause. His sister, Natalie, may have autism due to not being able to socialize well, and not being able to look people in their eyes otherwise she’ll get nervous and have an outbreak. Moose’s father on the other hand had landed a j ...more
Nancy Kotkin
This is the third novel in the Al Capone middle grade series, and it's just as wonderful as the first two books. Mr. Flanagan is promoted to assistant warden, which means more responsibility for Moose, on top of being a primary caregiver for his autistic sister. Natalie is blamed when the Flanagans apartment is fire-bombed, and Moose is determined to clear her name, and to protect his vulnerable father from further attacks.

With the single exception of the Harry Potter books, I've never read a se
Amanda Rawson Hill
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series ever.
Aysha
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review by Kaz age 11-
It was good because it was a mystery of why their apartment burned down. I liked the plot and the dialogue. This particular book was different from the rest of the series as it was a mystery.
Ms. Yingling
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
When Moose's father is made assistant warden, it seems like a good thing until Moose discovers the multiple downsides: inmates have a "point system" where injuring a warden gives a lot of points; his sister Natalie is held up to even more scrutiny, and Officer Trixle thinks that HE should have been warden, so is waiting for any opportunity to discredit Moose's father. When the family's apartment has a fire while Moose is watching Natalie, Moose is wracked by guilt and determined to figure out wh ...more
Peg
Moose is very proud his father is now the Assistant Warden but quickly learns that with that title comes some danger from cons and guards alike. When a suspicious fire ruins their apartment, some on Alcatraz accuse Moose's developmentally disabled sister Natalie, now 16, whom Moose fiercely defends and protects. Other strange things are happening on the island as well--gambling, cockroach messengers, theft, a missing knife, and counterfeiting. Moose and his friends piece together enough of the v ...more
Becky
I just LOVED this third book in the series. I really do love Moose Flanagan and his family. I think Moose is one of the best narrators! In Al Capone Does My Homework, Moose has a few mysteries to solve. First, he needs to find out WHO set fire to their apartment, and why! There are certain busybodies on Alcatraz who are telling everyone that Natalie, Moose's older sister, set the fire! In fact, this hateful woman calls Natalie's special boarding school and has her put on probation! All without p ...more
Marti
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: family, young-adult
A cute YA book, number three of three, Al Capone Does My Homework is the story of the family of the assistant warden at Alcatraz in 1936. At that time, the families of the employees of Alcatraz were allowed to live in quarters on the island. This is a fact. Moose is the son of this warden and he has a group of friends, as well as his autistic sister, Natalie, to play baseball with, worry about, and hatch secret plans. Moose finds out there is a competition among the convicts to earn points by hu ...more
Brandi Young
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best book in the series thus far. Starting off, Moose's dad is now the assistant warden, which means big changes for Moose and his family. Unfortunately the first huge change for them occurs in the middle of the night while Moose is at home watching his sister, Natalie. Their apartment catches on fire! The majority of the book is spent trying to figure out if Natalie set the fire by accident, if it was an accident due to wiring, or if it was arson by someone on the island. I ...more
Atlantis
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a really sweet book with quite an exciting story line. I loved the first book in this series "Al Capone does my shirts." but I wasn't as impressed with "Al Capone shines my shoes." This one totally makes up for it. Great story for kids to read about having a sibling with special needs under unique circumstances. Moose is the big brother I wish I had. I can totally relate to him.
Mckenzie Squires
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story. I love how it still has the same characters but introduces new ones to help tell Moose's Life. I can't believe Moose's dad is assistant warden. I loved this book, I love pretty much any book about Alcatraz and Capone. I mean who doesn't, right?
****Spoilers****
I love how at the end Nat is able to finally be a 16 year old! I would compare Nat to Gary from ALPHAS. They both struggle with showing others how mature they can be.
Tom
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was okay. I liked all three books in this series. It wasn't my favorite just because the style in which the author writes in is okay. Nonetheless, I liked the book because because it was a mystery, it was exciting, and because it had a good plot. In addition, I liked how most of the characters had a strong mind and they all tied into the plot.
I would recommend the series to anyone.
Thomas Bell
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a very fun continuation of the Al Capone series by Choldenko.

So your apartment gets burned down and your autistic sister is immediately blamed for it. You get a cryptic message from Al Capone, a prisoner on Alcatraz where your father works as a newly appointed vice-warden. What do you do?

Well, the answer lies in this fun, yet sometimes heartwarming, tale. Go read it! (But read the other two first). Can't wait until the 4th book comes out!
Nolan Walchuk
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Al Capone Does my Homework by Gennifer Choldenko is a good book but it is kind of a repeat of the other two. The plot and story line were fine but not great. I thought it was great just like the first two, but by the end, I was just bored. It has drama and limited action with a couple suprises like a fire, but again, it wasn't all that great.
Mimi
Another enjoyable entry in the Al Capone Does... series, this time Moose's dad has been promoted to Assistant Warden and the kids try to solve the mystery of a fire in the apartment. I enjoy the historical details and the discussion of an autistic sibling before there was widespread diagnosis.
Mandy
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of Moose and Natalie. Really enjoy this series.
Tina Hoggatt
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of this series. The author carries the character development through all three, and makes each a fun, human read.
Christi Mccoy
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! So entertaining. I love the way that Natalie is represented in this series. I don't want to wait for the next one to come out!! :-)
Knitwit
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Predictable plot but the historical parts were very interesting.

• Waste of Space (Moon Base Alpha, #3)
  • Finding the Worm (Twerp Sequel)
  • Tyrannosaurus Wrecks (FunJungle)
  • For Black Girls Like Me
  • Cécile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Spaced Out (Moon Base Alpha #2)
  • Code of Honor
  • Secret of the Forbidden City (Treasure Hunters, #3)
  • Blood Covenant
  • Middle School: Master of Disaster
  • How to Be a Supervillain
  • Born to Rock (Middle School, #11)
  • Twerp
  • Belly Up (FunJungle, #1)
  • City Spies
  • Allies
  • Robot Revolution! (House of Robots, #3)
  • Level 13 (Slacker, #2)
There’s a Lego in my bum which fits with the Lego in my chair and when I sit down to write, I hear the satisfying snap of the two pieces fitting together. I love words, dictionaries, thesauruses, sharp pencils, the smell of book ink and the delicious art of carving out sentences on clean white paper. I love to slip into another person’s skin and feel what it’s like to live another life. I love whe ...more

Tales from Alcatraz (4 books)
  • Al Capone Does My Shirts (Tales from Alcatraz, #1)
  • Al Capone Shines My Shoes (tales from Alcatraz, #2)
  • Al Capone Throws Me a Curve (Tales from Alcatraz, #4)