Start by marking “A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home” as Want to Read:
A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home

A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home

"Dear friend,

This is no chain letter, hoax or prank.

It is a sincere warning about your home and the entity which dwells within.

Your home has been haunted for quite some time.

I am sorry that I could not personally deliver this document. I did not even post it myself. The postmark on the envelope will not help you, should you ever attempt to locate me.

When this letter is com
Published October 18th 2012 by Retribution Books

To ask other readers questions about A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home

Start your review of A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home
Melki
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-fiction
Between two lungs it was released
The breath that passed from you to me
It flew between us as we slept
That slipped from your mouth into mine

And my running feet could fly
Each breath screaming: "We are all too young to die!"

Basically, the title of this one says it all. Here is a warning and instructions for what to do when you begin to notice bizarre happenings in your home . . . and you will.

And it all starts with habitual sleep disturbances.

(Hmm, I don't remember the last time I had a good n
Heidi Ward
When I was a kid, I read a story that really invaded my brain (I wish I knew its name!); it threatened that merely being in possession of the book (the one YOU are reading! Yes, THIS BOOK!) would bring a deadly fate down on your head. Absolutely terrified by the somehow credible threat, I took it back to the library pronto, and felt sick and slept badly for days. I was like 11 at the time.

"A Sincere Warning . . ." works along similar lines, consisting of a letter from the last tenant of YOUR NE
Kimberly
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to say that this story struck me as very original--especially as it was written in the form of a "letter" warning a new homeowner. This was a very creepy read that built up the tension slowly until you reached a complete and utterly hopeless dread for the recipient of the letter. I thought the method used to convey this was a great form, intensifying that all-consuming fear until you reached the ending.

Recommended!
Heather V  ~The Other Heather~
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people looking for a quick but effective spook-out, anyone who lives alone (ahahaha!)
3.5 stars - what a weird little book this is!

Are you like me? Do you experience sleep paralysis? I have, and I do, at least on a weekly basis for my entire life. It's no big deal to me; I've never known any different. It's a pain in the arse sometimes, especially if I'm woken by my phone ringing and I can't move my damn arm to pick up, or if my dog decides to attack my face and I can't defend myself against the ensuing tongue bath, but beyond that it's little more than a minor nuisance. For oth
Cheryl
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an unusual little book, like an old fashioned haunting but with some new additions. It was clever in some ways and I like the way the story was told as a letter to someone else.

The writer however starts with saying he/she wants to warn you but won’t help you and won’t tell you everything and you won’t even know who they are. Then goes on to tell the reader everything, helps them immensely and practically gives away who he/she is. Seemed strange and pointless to say at the start this wo
Bandit
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a fun novelette with a very novel idea. Written as a letter from a previous home owner to the current one regarding...well you can figure that out by the title. It has that campfire spooky tale vibe, my better half and I actually took turns reading it to each other, which was awesome and gave me a renewed appreciation of the professional audio book readers. Very entertaining creepy supernatural story.
Elusive
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
In 'A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home', one of the previous occupants of a haunted house leaves a warning letter in which alarming details are divulged to the next unlucky occupant.

This short story was chilling in parts, namely the first time the mysterious letter writer witnessed something terrifying. His / her experiences as well as efforts to learn what exactly was happening kept me reading. The explanations made sense and the character's emotions were believable but certain th
Melissa
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Fun Read

A fun read that reminded me of something I would find on No Sleep. It was an interesting take on the paranormal.
Meels
I read someone complain it wasn't "scary enough" and some one else describe it as humorous. I found it properly creepy, and not at all funny. Short, and improbable, but creepy. ...more
Ellen
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this short story in bed last night, had nightmares, was convinced there was someone in my room at least twice and had to punch my sleeping husband because he was making choking noises...go buy it!!

If you want to freak out a close family member/friend/enemy you can buy the story as a personalised letter to them.

Awesome concept for a story!
grammarchick
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, ghosts
I did not believe this book was as unsettling as the Amazon reviews claimed. I WAS WRONG. It should be called A Sincere Warning That This Will F- Up Your Chances of Napping. Brilliant idea, very unnerving. I wavered on the rating because I hate the sort of story wherein the author says "oh by the way, now you're involved in this horrifying crap, good luck to ya" (Creepypasta has given me the willies with these many times). I have to acknowledge that this is really the most disturbing one I've re ...more
Kasey Ashton
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun little novella - a fun approach for a ghost story. Definitely recommend!
Ash
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad short story. Written in an interesting perspective, worth a read but it is very short!
Syon Das
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great piece of fiction from Jason Arnopp. Loved THE LAST DAYS OF JACK SPARKS, and was throughly entertained by this unique tale of demonic harassment. Arnopp is a talented author who seamlessly blends elements of literary fiction into his writing style. His work is very fast paced, original, dark, and easy to read.
Katy Stamp
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
🤘

This was such a good short story, and it's written openly enough that it allows you to think it may actually have happened in your own home. Jason Arnopp is definitely up there with my favourite authors!
Scott Murray
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was quite an enjoyable and sufficiently spooky story!!
Debbie Hope
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short and enjoyable. Well written.
Ingrid Kim
A nice little ghost story. Not as good as I expected after reading Jack Sparks, but still fun.
Adele
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story strikes such a chord with me. The style and content are riveting(to me.) I am so freaked by this one that I had to put a review on here for it.

Why did this one trigger me so?

My family moved into a new house when I was a perfectly happy, healthy and 15 year old that seldom even got a cold. By 16, I'd developed asthma which plagues me to this day. My asthma 'attacks' have never been the wheezing struggle for breath I associate with the condition. When I have an attack, it's very much l
Kira
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, paranormal
I don't know why I had high hopes for this short story/novella. It seemed to be a relatively unique approach to the supernatural. Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectations. It was interesting enough, and relatively well written. The dilemma faced by the main character was certainly dire. It just didn't register very high on my "fright meter," so to speak. It's not bad, it's just not great. ...more
Shelfrighteous_Bibliophile
How could you kill something which had already been dead for so many decades?

Well, I am pleasantly surprised by how creepy this little novella was!

I love a good ghost story. I love scaring the shit out of myself, and while this didn't exactly do that, it still gave me the heebie-jeebies when it was bedtime. It was original & a really quick read!

I'm definitely going to check out this author's other books.
Terrie
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chilling, sad and macabre. The author skillfully builds up the tension, slowly releasing information which unnerves you and adds to the suspense. The novel is particularly effective because it is in the form of a letter which includes the reader in the story and warning.
Sean Randall
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
A clever use of narrative technique to give what could, under the right circumstances, be a rather chilling short. The quality of the writing was very good and I'd gladly pic up something longer. ...more
Zain
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five Stars!

I gave this story five stars because it deserves it! Not only is this book scary, but the pacing is really quick and thrilling.
Belle
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Please read the kittens review on instagram.
Lorelei Moon
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
You won't be terrified, but it's still a spooky little read!

In response to all the reviewers whining about how this story failed to terrify them enough to pee in their sneakers, I gently roll my eyes. From the samples I had read of Arnopp's writing, it's clear he is a humorous narrator so I wasn't expecting a heavy nightmare of a tale. After all, one of my favorite books is, Horrorstor, by Grady Hendrix and it is pretty much a nervous giggle for many pages before it starts to really unnerve you.
Vanessa
Title:A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home
Author: Jason Arnopp
Format: eBook
Genre: Horror

Quick Take: This is the only ghost story in the world which is set in your home. Yes, your home. The place where you, the person reading this Amazon page, happen to live. The short story A Sincere Warning About The Entity In Your Home is presented as an anonymous letter to you, which has been sent to your address by the previous tenant. As you read this letter, you learn that you have inherited a c
Hester
This story is a whole lot of "meh" with some truly creepy moments with a ridiculous ending.

This is what people who lived in the age before science and reason believed happened to you during a nightmare

description

This image kept coming back to me while reading this story.

An anonymous letter writer sends a dire warning to the new inhabitants of their old home about the ghost that lives in their new home and what will happen to them unless they do something about it.

(view spoiler)
VICKI HERBERT
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
In the end...they would not take...

No spoilers:

This short story (63 pages) is written in the form of a letter from the Narrator, whose name and gender are not given, to the new owner of Narrator's old home...

Narrator attempts to helpfully warn the new owner about a ghost that goes with the house free of charge...oh, and the ghost is possessed by a demon...

As the story unfolds in the letter we learn that Narrator and Narrator's partner Tom are visited nightly by the ghost in the form of a young b
Emily
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
A supremely creepy short story with a fantastic premise at its core. When we sleep we are at our most vulnerable and with it being an essential need for everyone, this feels like a story that could happen to anyone.
I would have prefered more investigation into the supernatural aspects. Yes, the unknown and the unknowable is meant to be frightening, but in literature I sometimes also find it frustrating.
Also, on a practical level, the "solution" provided by the letter wasn't exactly an easily app
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sour Candy
  • I'm a Therapist, and My Patient is a Vegan Terrorist: 6 Deadly Social Media Influencers (Dr. Harper Therapy, #3)
  • I'm a Therapist, and My Patient is In Love with a Pedophile: 6 Patient Files From Prison (Dr. Harper Therapy, #2)
  • Asylum Archives Case Study Vol. 2: True accounts from the insane
  • I'm a Therapist, and My Patient is Going to be the Next School Shooter: 6 Patient Files That Will Keep You Up At Night (Dr. Harper Therapy, #1)
  • Penpal
  • Dear Laura
  • Solution
  • The Neighbors
  • The Pretty Ones
Jason Arnopp is the author of the brand new chiller-thriller novel Ghoster (2019) and The Last Days Of Jack Sparks (2016). He is also the co-author of Inside Black Mirror with Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones.

Arnopp wrote the Lionsgate horror feature film Stormhouse, the New Line Cinema novel Friday The 13th: Hate-Kill-Repeat, various official Doctor Who works of fiction (including the BBC audiob