Start by marking “Shrapnel” as Want to Read:
Shrapnel

Shrapnel

It’s been six years since Dylanie and her family visited a Civil War site and the place came alive with cannon fire. Problem was, no one could hear it but her.

Now she’s sixteen, her dad’s moved out, her mom’s come out of the closet and Dylan’s got a spot on Paranormal Teen, a reality TV show filming at historic Oakleigh Mansion. She’ll spend a weekend with two other psychi
Published January 18th 2013 by Evernight Teen (first published January 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shrapnel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrapnel

Start your review of Shrapnel
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: buddy read with Rebecca
"We carry secrets under our skin like shrapnel. Our surface wounds heal, but the damage festers underneath while we worry what tiny pieces will work their way to the surface for the world to see."

3.5 stars. Stephanie Lawton has quite a way with words. I was already in love with her writing because of her book Want but I wasn't sure how her style of writing would translate to a ghost story. While Shrapnel didn't quite have the same lyrical quality to it that Want had (which I highly r
Julie Reece
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
OMG! < It's true, I said it. I love everything written by this amazing author and Shrapnel is no different. With her foray into gritty paranormal, we see another side of Lawton’s writing personality, and you’ll be thankful for her creative schizophrenia because her imagination for ‘dark and twisty’ is wonderful. (If not a little disturbing)

I really enjoyed this story’s no nonsense heroine, hot and super-cool hero with a hilarious sense of humor, premise and surprising secondary characters. The
Candice
I have had the worst/best case of book hang-around since I've finished this. Perhaps it's because I've been reading so many series lately, and I've just grown accustomed. Or maybe it's because Mrs. Lawton has written some great, multi-dimensional characters that are --dare I say it? Haunting me -- ha. This is a plot-driven book, but she still took the time to build up each character but so sneakily and stealthily you don't recognize it from the action. The story is told in three different first ...more
Xondra Day
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: maybe
I bought this book out of pure curiosity. More than a few people remarked that it was the best book that Evernight Teen had published since it started up. This was enough for me to seek it out to see for myself.

I don't do spoilers so I won't get into plot details other than to say that the blurb describes the story well.

I don't read a whole lot of paranormal or YA, but this book was enjoyable, and I would recommend it to fans of the genre.

I will most likely try another book by this author in th
InD'tale Magazine
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set in Mobile, Alabama, this story is both spooky and sexy and accurately depicts the sometimes flighty emotions of teenagers.

Full review in March 2013 InD'tale Magazine.
Angela Quarles
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A haunting, gritty paranormal dripping with voice. I was immediately sucked into the world she created and was on the edge of my seat racing to finish it.
Sasha Hibbs
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful as usual! Review coming soon...
Kristen
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
GENRE: YA Paranormal
THEME: Romance, Ghost
RECEIVED: Blog Tour
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
This is my first book from Stephanie Lawton and I couldn’t wait to see what she would do with three gifted teens in a haunted house in a paranormal reality show. These characters learn a lot about themselves, their abilities and that together they don’t feel like the outcast everyone else has made them out to be.

Shrapnel follows Dylan, Ashley and Jake as they all meet at the historical Oakle
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Dylanie, aka Dylan, is forced by her mother. Ashley is driven by the death she is unable to forget. Jake is tired of feeling all the pain around him. These three teens have powers none of them want. As if being a teenager is not painful enough, now they see, hear and feel things no one else can.

All three meet during a filming of a TV show, which is meant to teach them how to handle their powers. Unfortunately, the ghosts from the past have a different agenda.

The antebellum home has unfinished hi
Joyce Scarbrough
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I hate reality shows, but if there was one that featured the characters—both living and dead—in this book, I’d be glued to the TV every time it was on! Just as it is in the real world, it’s what’s going on behind the scenes in this book that’s the real story, and it’s deliciously dark and spooky, tantalizingly sexy, funny, and heart wrenching from one page to the next. The main characters are all different and unusual in their own quirky way, and even the peripheral characters are fun and three ...more
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dylanie isn’t like most teens. She can see ghosts so her mom got her on the show Paranormal Teen. This show helps teen psychics control their special abilities. So Dylanie along with Jake and Ashley get to spend a weekend at on old house that was involved in the Civil War. What they didn’t expect was that the spirits there still have some unfinished business…

I am not usually a fan of book where you switch from one narrator to another but I have to say that it didn’t bother me in the slightest w
Lee Ward
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second YA novel I have read by Ms. Lawton, and like the first, SHRAPNEL is a five star, page-turning, keep you up into the wee hours, kick-ass story! Dylanie sees ghosts. And not the sheet-flying kind--the green-eyed, jaded, hot male kind! When her mom gets a spot for Dylanie on a reality TV show that focuses on teens with similar abilities, no one expects what goes on behind the scenes. This story is sexy, spooky, chilling, and the author has such an authentic teenage voice, I'm sur ...more
Annabelle Blume
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a lover of all things paranormal, I'm always looking for something new. This was an excellent novel with a unique plot and great characters. Dylanie is truly likable and I love watching her work to find herself, which is fraught with challenges I think most girls can relate to. Jake is an adorable YA Hero, just sexy enough to grab the reader's attention and just tame enough for YA. And Ashley is a bit of comic relief, though she'd be hurt to hear me say that.

Overall, a wonderful YA Paranorma
Israel
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Badass fast pace YA Novel on roids! I thoroughly enjoyed this wild ride by Stephanie Lawton. Her writing and wit have a quick pace all their own, and give the reader a sensation one can only describe as riding a lace trimmed hang glider towards damnation.
J.
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another AMAZING book from Stephanie Lawton!! A sexy Southern Gothic ghost story with Stephanie's signature amazingly messed up characters! Love it! Can't wait for a schmexy cover reveal!
Linda
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Paranormal is my least favorite but this book pulled me in and kept me there, finished in one sitting!
Mrspam4ever
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I got started I couldn't stop. It was a little creepy for me, but I think the YA readers will love it:)
Jamie Manning
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yet another winner from Stephanie Lawton! Her quick wit, fast pace, loveable characters and exciting plot have all come together to make a page-turner that fans will love. I give it 5 stars!
Rachmi
Nov 24, 2012 marked it as to-read
Really loved Lawton first book, Want. So, I definitely want to read her other books. ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US! 8/4/13!
Brittany Jackson
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Lawton writes yet another riveting story! I loved it!
Alicia
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
There was a whooooooooole lot going on in Shrapnel, but ya know what? I liked it.

I'm not saying it was "great," "epic," "amazeballs," or even "really good." But it was entertaining and different.

The premise for this story is that three teens with paranormal abilities are sent to film a reality show in an old, super-haunted civil war-era mansion. The house? Think Tara from Gone with the Wind, or Brad Pitt's place in Interview with a Vampire. I'm from the South and I can confidently say, "caaaaa-r
Mollie Hartup
Feb 23, 2013
Laurie
Mar 10, 2013
Ela The Queer Bookish
rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2017
Marcie
Jan 11, 2013
Celebrating Evernight Teen Releases Today 1 2 Apr 25, 2013 10:25AM
Always a misfit, Stephanie Lawton writes twisted romance that tugs the heart strings then punches you in the gut.

She has a tendency to psychoanalyze people, which comes in handy when creating character profiles. She has a fascination with teacher-student relationships, bullies, psychics, doomsday preppers and larger-than-life characters.

Making readers squirm is her greatest pleasure.

Proceed with c