Start by marking “Soulmates” as Want to Read:
Soulmates

Soulmates

Every so often, two people are born who are the perfect matches for each other. Soulmates. But while the odds of this happening are about as likely as being struck by lightning, when these people do meet and fall in love…thunderstorms, lightning strikes and lashings of rain are only the beginning of their problems.

Enter Poppy, the 17-year-old cynic with a serious addiction
Paperback, UK, 544 pages
Published September 1st 2013 by Usborne Publishing

Start your review of Soulmates
Aj the Ravenous Reader

What I have proven after my second book by Ms. Holly Bourne is that she is a subversive writer and I mean that in a constructive way. She defies norms and popular culture through her stories and isn’t scared to express her principles through her characters’ thoughts and it’s why I like her. Just take a look at her take on clichés.

“It’s just a relationship, Poppy. They’re all clichéd. There’s nothing special about us-apart from the fact it’s us. You and me. And I’m glad it’s you and me, becaus
Bobbie
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't do spoilers. But I've never wanted to so much! I feel like this book should come with some kind of warning. At some point, you will cry. That's all I'll say.

Bourne is the writer I've been waiting for. Finally I get to read an amazing YA story and it's British! I read so much US YA that I forget how nice it is to have Brit references that I actually recognise and relate to. Please publish more stuff like this! Poppy and Noah are the perfect couple. Reading about their love blossoming was
Amanda
I'm shaking right now...I don't know what to say. I literally just finished crying. The ending...Jesus Christ, that ending. All the way through the book, I was just waiting for something bad to happen. Poppy and Noah were just so happy... I just don't know what to think. It certainly has been one of the best books I've read in a while.

BUT THEY WERE SO CUTE AND I JUST WANTED TO HUG THEM AND HOLLY BOURNE - THAT ENDING, WHY?????????????

I know it might not be some people's cup of tea, because it wa
Alexandra Norman
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I picked this book up fairly cheap in WH Smiths as part of a 3 for two offer. I didn't have incredibly high hopes for it, the blurb sounded vaguely interesting, and I'm a sucker for soulmates, but I hated the cover (dull, unimaginative, and looks as though someone Googled soul mates and chose the first image that came up..)

It smacks of a debut, and one which doesn't really fill me with hope for the writers second novel. The characters were derivative, and painfully one dimensional. I felt no wa
Carla
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
WTF just happened????

Did I really just read this???

Okay, so haha joke is on us, there must be a second book coming out and Poppy and Noah find a way to cheat chemistry and now they can be together?!?!? Right???? No?? Oooooookkkkkayyyy!!

So I'm all for an author writing something completely different, but holy hell did this kind of different break my heart. Its been three days since I've finished the book and I barely felt able to write a review. I won't say I disliked it, but for once I didn't l
Sabrina
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ukya
I've got a book hangover!

This book is beautiful. Everything I expected with the twist of the unexpected at the end.

"It starts just like any other day, with the sun rising."

SOULMATES follows Poppy who is totally against every idea of love. The meaning, rubbish. Cliché. Soppy. Ew. But then she meets Noah, a guitarist who's part of the new hot band "Growing Pains" (out of all the names, they call themselves that...ahaha, jokes) and she feels an instant tug. Something that draws them together. Str
Maddie
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stand-alones, ukya
This book is so clever in the way it rationally explains insta-love, and the fact that it's self aware of how fast paced the romance is does help me like it more, but there was something fundamental that I didn't like about the portrayal of friendship between girls and what's deemed effeminate (drinking banana milk doesn't threaten masculinity, does it?)

'Soulmates' is five steps behind the Spinster Club series, but it was great to see the seeds of what makes that series amazing popping up in Hol
Jean (Bookish Poetess)
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It happened just like any other day, with the sun rising. It happened when I was in the midst of book strolling in one of my favorite bookstores when I crossed paths with Soulmates. I was not fascinated with the cover but I was curious with the title. The title caught my attention from afar because it reminded me of someone. Then I held it in my hands and turned it around and the sypnosis captured my attention even more:

"Soulmates do exist.
But not as you think.

Every so often two people are born
Clarin
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Happy endings are reserved strictly for the fiction shelves of bookstores.

One more Holly Bourne book, and one more way to fall in love with her all over again.

When you read of sugary romance, there are lots of times you just want to throw up. Not with Poppy and Noah though. You want these two to have everything, because they're so perfect for each other.

Noah, the (as we are so repeatedly reminded) FIT guitarist of a band, and Poppy, a 17-year-old with a cynical view on love (I can relate *c
Dreya
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Okay. I did not expect the ending. It was so heartbreaking and made me cry :'(

But overall, the whole story was good as well as the writing style. I just hope people like Rain and Anita don't exist in real life. Hahahha!
Phoebe
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ENDING?? no. nope. That did not just happen.

I'm not just judging this book on the ending, I found the whole thing terribly clichéd and muddy, but that ending. WHY.
Arabella
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
My heart hurts too much.
Tilly
Apr 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, dnfed
DNF
If you had told me Holly Bourne had written this book after I'd read it, I wouldn't have believed you. I ADORE Holly Bourne and have read the majority of her books and loved them. She is one of my auto buy authors! But this was awful. Childish, awful characters and just so uninteresting. Gutted I have had to DNF at over 200 pages but I just couldn't continue!!
JL
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-reads
There MIGHT be some spoilers ahead. Just so you know.

“Of course, you're always a cynic before you fall in love yourself...”

Soulmates is one of the most heart-shattering novels out there, but unfortunately, it didn’t work out for me. Sure it was it was heartbreaking but I didn’t feel that way because of several reasons.

First. I hate most of the characters. They are very annoying especially Poppy’s friends. I hate Ruth for being an insensitive bitch. She’s narcissistic, and in her narcissism,
Johanna
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, a week ago I read these exuberant reviews about Soulmates and I spontaneously went and bought it for my Kindle. I'm not as over-enthusiastic as all the other reviewers but it really is a great book. I feel more people should know about this debut author because I'm sure that Holly Bourne has a lot more to say. By the way, I really love the cover, it's simple but strangely beautiful.

At the end of the novel, Bourne explains how she came up with the idea for the novel:

It [Twilight] got me thin
Gabri
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5/5
(4 stars for the book, 5 for the tears)

I have to be honest: there are so many things to criticise about this book.
It’s somewhat cliché (cynical girl who has never been in love suddenly falls hard), unrealistic (of course the whole story is kind of fantasy, but sometimes it was hard to believe what the author wanted me to believe, (view spoiler)) and the
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Review to come.
Janelle
Feb 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I read this book because I became a fan of Holly Bourne's writing after reading The Manifesto on How to be Interesting, and it was said in that book that Soulmate was critically-acclaimed no matter how cringy that title was. Now I'm low key regretting why I even bothered tbh. I'm just glad it bumped up my reading progress for the reading challenge HAHAHAHA.

What initially annoyed me about this book was really the characterization. This main character named Poppy Lawson hated cliché so much and sh
Abbie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Real love doesn’t mend everything. Real love doesn’t conquer all. And, most importantly, real love doesn’t require a happily-ever-after – that’s not what it’s about. But real love does change you. It moulds you. It burns your heart into a charred cinder that relights like a phoenix, stronger and more blazing than ever.

That’s the thing about love. However you have it, however you’ve had it – it never goes. Once it’s touched you, it’s touched you for ever. You’ll be permanently scarred by its bril
Tuğba
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't know what to say.. I literally just finished crying. Did I really just read this? Okay, so haha joke is on us, there must be a second book coming out and Poppy and Noah find a way to cheat chemistry and now they can be together?!?!? Poppy and Noah were just so happy!! They were so cute and I just wanted to hug them! Why Holly Bourne? Why???! I just don't know what to think! It certainly has been one of the best books I've read in a while. ...more
k
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I freakin love this book oh god but the ending seems to be a bit vague to me and I don't know, I feel like this story should have a sequel or something because the mystery that is still a huge problem around the world is still not solved and I seriously cannot accept an ending like that. ...more
Suzi
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I. Finished. It.
Yaaaas :)) Tbh doubting if I should give it 3 or 4 stars, but I'll get back to that!! Hopefully I'll write a review soon but I always say that, so don't expect too much from me ;)
Xx
Jasmine (Jasmine Pearl Reads)
So heartbreaking..... ok *sobs*

FULL REVIEW TO COME.
Lisa
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FEELS! THIS ENDING, I CRIED SO HARD.
Georgia Foristal
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I️ think I️ would’ve rated it a 4-star but the ending was super weird and didn’t suit the book
Destroyer   Of Ships
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I need help right now, I don't know if I've handled it or if I am still in denial and the reality will sink into me a while later, maybe when I'm sleeping, maybe when I'm kissing someone.

I'd repeatedly spoiled myself during the process of finishing this book because i suffered from serious bouts of impatience and a need to console myself and perhaps prepare myself, because i hated uncertainty.

(view spoiler)
Meds Areola
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
luh grabe ka holly bourne panagutan mo feelings ko bwiset ka huhu

//will post my decent book review soon I just need to gather my thoughts first jusq lord y

EDIT:

I honestly don’t know how to start this review without tearing up. I’m such a mess, an emotional wreck. I couldn’t even remember the last time I felt this kind of emotion towards a book. I’m calling all the saints to give the strength.

Soulmates is basically about two characters who immediately felt their bond the first time they ever laid
Miriam
This is gonna be hard. Phew. Let's begin.

I am a sucker for the "destined partners" trope - whether mates or soulmates, you get it. So, naturally, I got super excited when I first saw this book on Goodreads. I did not care what it was about as long this trope was there. (A mistake I paid for, may I add.)

I finally got the book and the moment it was on my Kindle, I started reading. My opening impression was pretty good - the writing was easy to read, some characters were witty, some infuriating, mo
Becky
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My poor heart is broken, and I cried ugly tears...damn I really loved this book. More than I anticipated.
This is Holly Bournes debut so I expected to like it but not be blown away. She has definitely grown as author since this book, and you can see the seeds of the spinster trilogy hidden in these characters and friendships.
I just loved it still, I don't think anyone can say they didn't love a book when it gave them physical reactions!

The characters were so fun and loveable, so quirky and cheeky
Becky
Too many pages and not enough plot. The action started 100 pages to the end, but the rest of it just seemed like filler content. Far too long for the story it gave - but the writing was good, the plot in its bare bones was good, but it was just too long. Still enjoyable enough though!
Find your desired soulmate 1 3 Jan 30, 2020 10:13AM

• Trouble
  • Boys Don't Cry
  • Finding Sky (Benedicts, #1)
  • Beautiful Broken Things (Beautiful Broken Things, #1)
  • Love at Second Sight
  • How Not to Disappear
  • A Quiet Kind of Thunder
  • Unconventional
  • Girl, Missing (Girl, Missing, #1)
  • Becoming Jo
  • Shaken (Struck, #3)
  • Girl Online (Girl Online, #1)
  • Going Solo (Girl Online, #3)
  • Stung (Struck, #2)
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Goodbye, Perfect
  • Floored
  • Super Awkward
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling, award-winni