Start by marking “The Curious Steambox Affair” as Want to Read:
The Curious Steambox Affair

The Curious Steambox Affair

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Synopsis
The captivating debut novel in a steampunk mystery series featuring a physician’s assistant who is particularly adept with cases of murder.
NEVER BEFORE PUBLISHED

The year is 1827, and Alistair Purefoy, a young physician’s assistant, moves to Edinburgh to take a position with one Dr. Hyde. His colleagues call him a monster, while Hyde himself claims to have invented
ebook
Published November 13th 2012 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about The Curious Steambox Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curious Steambox Affair

Jonelle Patrick
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not only did this mystery keep me guessing until the very last page, every time I dipped into it I was instantly transported to nineteenth century Edinburgh, where a killer walks the streets and a band of mysterious gentlemen unite to do what the police can't. Seen through the eyes of a physician's assistant, the city itself is a character, teeming with little-known customs, an upstairs-downstairs society, and strange denizens that flit amongst the shadows.

The author is so good at weaving descr
jeri gragg
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating twist on old favorites

Loved the depiction of Dr. Hyde as an irascible, temperamental genius, hated by all his peers, while subtly he was shown to be sensitive and caring. Enjoyed the story being told through letters by Purefoy to his love. The descriptions of Edinburgh left me wanting to visit immediately. Incorporating the Frankenstein twist at the end made this tale even more fun. Thoroughly enjoyed this story.
Daco Auffenorde
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Macgregor creates a beautiful and fascinating tale of this curious steambox through a series of love letters! Her Mr. Purefoy, the protagonist, is a verbose, charming, and truly delightful character that we grow to love more and more as the story unfolds. In fact, all of the characters are so well developed that I feel as though I know each personally. I love Macgregor's Hyde, the grumbly physician who must discover his heart is really gold. And the Merry Gentlemen, each with their unique talent ...more
Scoyphenson
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
It took me a while to adjust to the narrative style - the entire tale told through letters - but once I did, I was glad I hung in there. The characters were well-drawn and largely entertaining. The steampunk aspect seemed to me to be steampunk lite, but it's not my normal genre so I'm not the best judge.

Overall, a fun and interesting story with hints of 19th century monsters; namely Hyde and the fascination with reanimation.
Davidh
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Written in the first person as a series of letters of courtship to the Daughter of the Doctor he previously apprenticed to Alistair Purefoy relates his life in Edinburgh. Now Apprenticed to Dr Hyde and gets drawn into a series of murders and ...

This one is hard to qualify as it is part Steampunk, Mystery and Romance and more. Enjoyable read. I wasn't sure at first where it was heading and I kept thinking Dr Jekyl instead of Dr Hyde.
Abby
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best read of 2012! It draws you into Alistair Purefoy's world, the coal-dust shrouded streets of 1827 Edinburgh, and makes you loathe to ever return. Deliciously creepy and altogether captivating. Highly recommend.
Shari
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is the letters of the doctor to his sweetheart and I love books written this way. No one writes letters anymore the way people regularly did in the earlier 20th century and before. This kept me interested throughout, despite not understanding the steambox.
Mary C
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great debut novel! I'm ready to read more right now. It was definitely one I couldn't stop reading.
Mandanat
Brandy
Nov 02, 2014
Patricia
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing and was not too heavy.
Emilia
Yani
Mar 27, 2014
Kim
Apr 19, 2014
Melissa Macgregor was born in Dallas, and traveled the world as a Navy brat. Much of her childhood was spent in Scotland, where she fell in love with all things Edinburgh. Upon her return to Texas, she wrote a weekly article for her hometown's paper, serializing the happenings within her high school. A graduate of Stephen F. Austin State University, Melissa majored in English and History, with a m ...more
More about Melissa Macgregor...