Start by marking “The New Persian Kitchen” as Want to Read:
The New Persian Kitchen

The New Persian Kitchen

This luscious and contemporary take on the alluring cuisine of Iran from cookbook author Louisa Shafia features 75 recipes for both traditional Persian dishes and modern reinterpretations using Middle Eastern ingredients.

In The New Persian Kitchen, acclaimed chef Louisa Shafia explores her Iranian heritage by reimagining classic Persian recipes from a fresh, vegetable-focu
Published April 16th 2013 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The New Persian Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Persian Kitchen

Mary
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shafia, a professional cook with a Persian background, lightens and simplifies traditional Persian recipes and creates new ones with a focus on vegetables and a kind of whole food approach to Persian food. This isn’t a vegetarian cookbook, but many of the recipes are vegetarian. She starts with a brief history of Persian food and then a guide to the ingredients. This useful guide also explains how to prep Persian limes (and how to eat them), how to substitute herbs, why dried mint is good, how t ...more
Zora O'Neill
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Writing a review of Naomi Duguid's Persia book reminded me of this great cookbook I already had--and more than anything else I already knew, it probably set the stage most for me to really appreciating Duguid's book, and not finding it intimidating (as more "ethnographic"-style books can sometimes be). Thanks to Shafia, I had a lot of ingredients on hand, and knew some techniques.

This book is a *great* introduction to Persian food and is very practical about how to cook it in your own kitchen. I
Erinn Batykefer
Wonderful. Shafia’s recipes are easy to make, and are grouped into sections that follow a Persian meal, so flipping through gives you a sense of progression, flavors, and style before you even get down to making anything.

We tried the following recipes over the course of a couple weeks:

•New potatoes with dill and lemon (easy, very fresh)
•Cucumber and watermelon salad
•Grilled shrimp with lime powder and parsley olive oil sauce (used lime juice and zest, since powdered lime wasn’t easily availab
Ann  Gibson
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cookbook is part history of Iranian people, culture and foods. The other part is recipes. In the first part, the author gives a list of typical ingredients found in Persian cooking, and where and how to use them. I thought her tip about extracting flavor from Saffron very helpful, as this is one of my favorite spices and usually in my pantry. Each recipe has a little history, making this book something to savor and appreciate beyond your typical cookbook. She also shows how you can make alm ...more
BookBec
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
I enjoyed the tastes but not always the textures of the recipes I made from this book.
Rosemary Burton
Oct 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gross

I didn't like any of the recipes ... I will return the digital version nothing appealing to a family who doesn't eat nuts or beans.
Juli Anna
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
What a gem! Beautiful, light, flavorful recipes and a vegetarian option for each one! I am excited to try some of these out.
Tressa
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The New Persian Kitchen was educational and had interesting recipes.
Kimberly Ann
The book is printed on plain paper, clearly visible print and many (in my opinion not enough) color photos of many of the dishes. A few of the dishes come w/ a "vegetarian" option, the titles are printed in English in red with the Farsi below in a smaller brown script. There is a small explanation of the dish w/ optional variations & serving suggestions & the number of servings. The recipes & ingredients are clear easy to read & follow... but Middle Eastern cooking takes a bit of ...more
Robert Hudder
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I found myself wondering at this book as many of the ingredients are things that I use partially because of my interest in Indian cooking and partially because I love new ingredients. Salted limes, persimmons, pomegranates, and sumac showed up in some of this recipes. I ended up photocopying a few. Most of them were soups that were more hearty and had touches of acid or sour. One recipe included rhubarb in a savoury preparation.

If these recipes become mainstays in my house, I may consider buying
Scarlet
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Whooo!
Slight issues were salt measurements were different to normal and rosewater was a different kind and harder to find, but I think she specifies this somewhere and I ignored it. Common sense was used and all was cool. Good tagine recipe and her ghormeh sabzi was better than mine...
Her fesenjan wasn't up to par with mine, however *smug face*, but she shortens the stewing time by quite a bit; which could be a positive. STILL CAN'T GET MY RICE ON POINT (ASHAMED). Overall accessible, pretty-look
Aja Marsh
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, food
3.5 - i liked her last book a bit better, but this one was great for an intro to Persian cuisine from a healthy, sustainable perspective. There are about 10 pages or more at the beginning that are all Iranian culinary history and throughout the book there are other snippets of info, including how food from different religions is integral to the food of Iran. So I enjoyed that. That being said, none of the recipes blew me away though most of them sounded good.
Alison
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, ebook
I haven't made anything from this yet, but most of the recipies were very approachable. The author also built in a lot of flexibility, providing vegetarian versions of several of the meat-based dishes. I'm looking forward to cooking from this - there are a mix of things that will be great for weeknights, for more involved weekend cooking, and potentially for entertaining as well.
Grace
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I've really enjoyed everything I've made from this book so far. It's great fun seeing ingredients I would normally use (and some new ones) transformed into satisfying and healthy dishes with really unusual flavors. I would recommend this book even if you're not especially interested in Persian cuisine - the recipes are straightforward and delicious, and many are achievable for weeknight dinners.
Michelle
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Lovely little book, delightful stories and info and recipes. The author grew up in America with an Iranian father and a Jewish mother. Loved the stories and recipes--only caveats that many ingredients are not going to be available here, and no nutrition info. But she does provide vegetarian options.
Debbie
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this cookbook. Although many of the recipes aren't recipes I'm longing to try some are intriguing and worth the experiment. What I appreciated most of all was learning about the history and cultural traditions of the Middle East and most especially of Iran.
Louisa Shafia explained ingredients, told stories and provided recipes that are very well written.
Suzanne
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have recently discovered I really like this style of cooking and did not have any experience with it. This is a great cookbook. It has glossary of unfamiliar ingredients in the beginning as well as some explanatory history of Persian Cusine.
It is a mostly healthful style of cooking and I am excited to become more proficient at it.
Kim1983
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Living in Australia I have no idea where to get some of the ingredients required for these recipes - dried limes?! I really wanted to like this book and I did photocopy a couple of recipes but just wasn't really that into it. Also lacked pretty pictures which usually entice me to cook a dish.
emily Ying
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Didn't know the author grow up in Philadelphia, and his dad is ashkenazi Jew? ..........
Didn't know kebab originate in Persia.......
And coffee comes before chai tea(only adopted in 19th century) for Persia.......
would be better with more pics of food
Michelle
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Gorgeously photographed and designed. The flavors sound intriguing, and there are a lot of gluten-free adaptations included, and the rest will be easy to substitute. I'm looking forward to playing with these recipes.
Wendy P
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is more a beginner book. It has some nice recipes that are not hard or laborious, but I wanted something more inventive. She does do a good narrative of the traditions around food in the Persian culture though.
Marlena
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a cookbook to really read and pore over. I checked in out from the library, but will purchase it.
Beka
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a beautifully put together cookbook with so many delicious recipes that I'm dying to try.
Blair
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Really want to buy this cookbook and make everything in it. Amazing. And I learned a lot about Iran/Persia, which was a nice bonus.
Denise
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cookbook
Carol
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
There weren't very many recipes that I would actually make in this book but it was still interesting to see the ingredients that I wouldn't normally put together. I am going to try a few.
Masha
Jaleena
Aug 19, 2017
  • One Good Dish
  • New Food of Life: Ancient Persian & Modern Iranian Cooking & Ceremonies
  • Indian Cooking Unfolded: A Master Class in Indian Cooking, with 100 Easy Recipes Using 10 Ingredients or Less
  • Brassicas: Cooking the World's Healthiest Vegetables: Kale, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and More
  • Olives, Lemons & Za'atar: The Best Middle Eastern Home Cooking
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • The Food of Morocco
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • A Bird in the Hand: Chicken recipes for every day and every mood
  • At Home with Madhur Jaffrey: Simple, Delectable Dishes from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka
  • The Kitchn Cookbook: Recipes, Kitchens & Tips to Inspire Your Cooking
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Balaboosta
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well
  • Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Flavor Flours: A New Way to Bake with Teff, Buckwheat, Sorghum, Other Whole & Ancient Grains, Nuts & Non-Wheat Flours