Start by marking “In a Blue Velvet Dress” as Want to Read:
In a Blue Velvet Dress

In a Blue Velvet Dress

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When her parents go on vacation in Scotland, bookworm Jane Reid is sent to visit her aunt and uncle Hildreth. But she arrives to find that she and her father have switched suitcases, and she is stranded with no books! Her aunt and uncle are nice enough, but the only book in their house is the telephone directory. And their town has no bookstore or library. But on her first ...more
Paperback, Lost Treasures, 182 pages
Published May 1st 2002 by Volo (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about In a Blue Velvet Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Blue Velvet Dress

Emily
Nov 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-childhood
Anybody who has had the misfortune of making an extended visit somewhere where there are no books and consequently starving for something to read will surely respond to the premise of this enchanting book. 11-year-old Jane, extreme bookworm, is in exactly that situation. While her parents go on a sailing holiday to Scotland, Jane has to leave her Belfast home to make a visit to an elderly couple, friends of the family, in a town by the Irish Sea. With admirable foresight, as her hosts are kindly ...more
Deborah Markus
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I lent this book to a friend of mine -- well, to her daughter, but of course my friend read it as well. The main character of this novel is a reading fiend who likes to draw up mental lists of her favorite books. My friend was amazed at how many of these books she'd never even heard of, let alone read.

Quite aside from being an excellent source of titles to look out for, this is a terrific story, alternately funny and touching.
Kaija
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
When I was about ten years old, I got it into my head to organize my bookshelves and make them into a "library". I thought it would be a wonderful idea to set up a system of marking my books so that my brother, my friends, and my parents could borrow them and I could feel very important as I kept careful records of who had taken what out, and when. In a Blue Velvet Dress was one of the few books whose inside cover was awarded a sticker reading "Speciul permishun book"––meaning that I had to pe ...more
Ellie
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ks2
One of my favourite books from childhood. I used to have my local library's copy out so often I didn't realise until fairly recently that I don't actually have my own copy. Well, I do now, obviously. Possibly the sweetest ghost story ever written.
Ann aka Iftcan
Cute story set in the early 70's. Back before we had computers, Ipads, I-phones and all the rest of the things we clutter our life with. With a ghost from the turn of the LAST (i.e. 20th) century, we have some minor history thrown in as well. Set in a tiny village in England.
Domino
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
omg. i don't even know what to say, its so good.
Deb
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Adorable book about a little girl marooned on 'holiday' in an old house in an Irish seaside town without books....
A B
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok

I've been on a bit of a kick with reading books that I *think* I would have liked as a child.

Now I am wondering if I should reread the ones I did like to see if I still feel the same.

This one hit a chord with me because the protagonist goes on vacation and leaves her suitcase of books behind. The horror, the horror! I remember filling an entire suitcase full of books to go to my grandparents' house in 7th grade...for a 3 day trip.

However, Jane is such a hard protagonist to like. She is borderlin
Leslie
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books-read
Loved this when I was a kid, particularly the "dream" sequence - a bookworm's fantasy! It holds up pretty well.
Hannah
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this book was a wonderful read! the author somehow made the whole thing descriptive without being descriptive.the personalty of each person jumped out and made me feel as if I was there with them.I have re-read this book 5 times and it's never gotten old.even though I don't like many gost stories this is one I will read
Olivia
Jun 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes boring ghosties.
Shelves: fiction
Extremely dissapointing. The blurb made it sound quite good but when I got about 20 pages into it, SNORE! SNORE! SNORE! Almost fell asleep reading it! Didn't tell much about what was happening and the whole atmosphere of the story was just plain boring! Didn't like the main character either but oh well...
Sallie
Aug 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
This is one of the books I bought from Julie Chuba many months ago and just finally read. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it rates 4 stars, maybe 3 1/2. I decided after finishing WICKED, I needed something short and lighter to read.
Nancy
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I chanced upon a battered copy of this in donations. A wonderful story. I could really relate. Imagine a vacation with NO books. Horrifying. A good ghost story, reminded me of Ruth M Arthur's books. I want to read the books that were left on Jane's bedside table.
Kara
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book - bookworm heroine. haunted painting.
Wendy
Jun 13, 2009 marked it as to-read
I seldom do this, but I bought this book at a library book sale just because the description sounded good. Read it above, and I'm sure you'll agree.
Holly
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Great old-fashioned ghost story. A girl, trapped in a house with no books to read? That totally freaked me out. :^)
Magda
Reminiscent of several other children's books, maybe not so great for adults in its simplicity.
SarahBeth
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, ghost
Delightful, quick read. I would have loved this book as a child.
Katherine
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book as a kid, and I still do. I basically was this bookish kid. :)
Katharine