Start by marking “Transposes” as Want to Read:
Transposes

Transposes

Dylan Edwards’ Transposes separates gender from sexuality and illustrates six fascinating true stories of transgender men who also happen to be queer. The result is laugh-out-loud funny, heartbreaking, challenging, inventive, informative, and invites the reader to explore what truly makes a man a man.

Includes a foreword by New York Times bestselling author Alison Bechdel (
Paperback, First Edition, 115 pages
Published 2012 by Northwest Press

To ask other readers questions about Transposes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transposes

Start your review of Transposes
Dov Zeller
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a gift from Skye (thank you Skye!!!!) and I'm so glad I got a chance to read it.

The art is wonderful. All black and white and shades of gray, which works well here. And the stories, seven "oral histories" adapted to comic form, are enjoyable and interesting. They are stories of people the author knows I believe, and there is an intro by Alison Bechdel. These are stories about coming out, and about finding love, or making sense of one's relationship to love of different kinds.

The
Tim
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Queer/LGBT persons and Book Clubs
Fun and fascinating reading. When I was coming out in the late ‘90s, there was barely an awareness of FTMs (females transitioning to males) and, naturally, transgendered men were assumed to be straight. In Transposes, Dylan Edwards’ sheds light on the lives of gay FTMs, the transmen who are sexually oriented towards men post-transition. He tells their stories with humor, poignancy and insight. What’s more, he shows us their stories. An experienced cartoonist and talented artist, Dylan draws an a ...more
Andrew
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
See the whole text of my review at No Flying No Tights

In short: My only complaint here is that, by design, Edwards gives only a short glimpse of each man. Just as I come to know one character, Edwards is off to the next. While the technique is smart and effective and makes for an easy read, I would have happily settled in for a longer visit with any of these men. But this is a complaint that essentially boils down to “this book was so good I wanted more,” and that’s not so bad.
Logan Plonski
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer
I didn't get a whole lot of insight out of this book that I hadn't read or thought about before, but the artwork was great and I think it's a good starting point for people who are interested in learning more about queer transmasculine people.

One complaint I have is that there don't seem to be any stories from the perspective of people of color, which could have been interesting to see, and which is a notably lacking narrative in transmasculine literature.

I recommend this book if you're a cis
Sharon
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I really liked this collection of vignettes about trans men. What fascinates me from a comics perspective is that each of these stories were told to someone who then wrote and illustrated them, instead of being created directly by the person who experienced them.
KimberlyRose

Art: simplified realism

The 'zine-style sequential art narrative is exceptionally well done. One story, for example, uses a creative technique to tell the two men's stories separately but on the same page, and, over several pages, this technique takes us smoothly into a story jointly told. In another story, instead of going into unnecessary detail as one FTM discovers his identity, the protagonist is only given three speech bubbles over three panels while he speaks with his therapist: "
Emily
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Super-great. Writer/illustrated Dylan Edwards does a bang up job framing and telling short stories/scenes from the lives of 7 different QFTMs (female-to-male transguys who are mainly attracted to cisgender men or other transguys). I loved techniques like the one found on pg 52--three panels, showing a budding transman becoming more comfortable with himself over time as he talks with his therapist: dialogue in first panel = Adam, slumped in chair: "Gender stuff?" Therapist: "Gender stuff." 2nd pa ...more
Ali
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I found that some of the plots were underdeveloped, and the book made me wish that it was twice as long. Devoured it in an hour.
Robert Key
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
It was ok. Very easy read. At points I felt like I was reading a craigslist missed connection ad.
Kaarna
Beautiful drawn art, some old terminology that feels alienating at least to me, and interesting stories that feel a bit cut short. But perhaps they were just long enough to leave me wondering? No, I don't think so, they weren't long enough to stay in my mind for longer than a few hours, I'm already starting to forget.
Don't get me wrong, it was a good read and probably a meaningful book for many. The stories were diverse. A bit more about sex and sexuality than I expected.
G.K. Hansen
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm glad this book exists, and it's beautifully drawn, but I wish we spent a lot more time with each character; two of the stories cut off quite abruptly for reasons I didn't really understand. I also would have like to see a little more diversity of experience in terms of gender expression and race, but it's still very good. A quick read!
Jaclyn
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The last one (with dual perspectives) was confusing to me, but otherwise, I liked it.
Samu
Five trillion gazillion stars.

Dylan Edwards says he wrote the book he wishes he had had and it is everything I have been missing without even knowing about it. Seven stories, each unique and different, about queer ftms and they feel so real and familiar, I get this terrible longing towards something I can't quite articulate. These stories make you laugh, and kinda get embarrassed because have thought about that thing too... and they make you go awww (one of the guys has a dad who is a gentle bi
Robert
Powered through author-subject interviews, Dylan Edwards’s graphic novel Transposes presents six biographical stories that take us into the lives of seven diverse FTM transgender individuals, doing so with humor, poignancy, insight, and great empathy. I consider myself no slouch when it comes to awareness of the vast spectrum of queer & gender issues out there and I still learned quite a bit reading this - the power of personal storytelling for imparting information should never be underestimate ...more
Linus
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trans, queer, m-m, bi
Wow. Like, it's not perfect, but I really like it a lot. It's not as diverse as advertised maybe… but what it does is tell the stories of 7 real queer trans guys (at least that's how it's framed, not sure if they all identify that way) in beautifully detailed comics that aren't too short so they don't stay too superficial and trope-y, but not too long either.

It's mostly focused on trans biographies / "origin stories" (instead of random anecdotes starring trans guys) and yes, there is a lot of pa
Mirrordance
Un libro che spiazza. Dopo aver letto l'introduzione mi aspettavo una graphic novel densa invece sono piccoli "episodi", piccoli flash che mostrano le mille sfaccettature del genere e dell'auto defeinirsi, della ricerca di una identità, del continuare a vivere in momvimento o del trovare un funto di arrivo che soddisfi.

Le storie sono "incomplete" in quanto non vogliono essere le storie di una intera vita ma solo la testimonianza di tratti di vita, di percorsi di ricerca e di cammini.

Le storie
Annalisa
Transposes was a really great read. It was a good way to showcase a variety of FTM identities and experiences that worked well together. At times, it may have seemed very queer and sex-oriented, but it seemed relevant to the book. I live and work in a very queer space and enjoyed it as a piece that explores and shares personal narratives regarding, gender, sexuality, and their intersections. When my mother came to me with fairly basic questions regarding the distinction between gender and sexual ...more
Christa Van
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it

This graphic novel tells the story of seven people who have undergone change. The author has interviewed subjects who identified themselves as queer-identified transmen. These people trusted Edwards with their stories and he has presented them with wonderful illustrations. The stories are diverse and show that the journey for each is both different and the same. How the world sees people and reacts to them is important and can be affirming or confusing. This compilation of stories may help those
Steven
This book was first giveaway I ever won. It's different and enjoyable. Dylan Edwards, a FTM transsexual, writes 6 autobiographical accounts of other FTM transsexuals. As someone who prefers women and femininity, I thought I would find it difficult to relate to women who want to become men, even less so to women who want to become men but are attracted to men, but it was never difficult to identify and empathize with the FTMs in this graphic novel.

A recommended and life expanding experience.
Ian
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: trans
die idee hat mir gefallen. und die geschichten meistens auch.
aber irgendwie hab ich das gefühl das es doch sehr oberflächlich war.

und wenn ich dann in den kommentaren hier lese das menschen von "frauen die männer sein wollen" schreiben, frag ich mich was überhaupt ankommt bei diesen menschen, außer sensationsfreude.

aber vlt ist das auch einfach wieder mein problem mit comics. das sie auf gewisse weise oft oberflächlich bleiben.
Justin Cascio
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Edwards has been drawing for years and it shows. He's able to convey subtleties like the changes in a trans man's body over time as testosterone masculinizes his appearance. The stories told range from the comic to the romantic. Transposes captures a diversity of individual styles that manage to express some of the range of experience within this tiny minority within a minority, gay trans men. Recommended gifting for the queers in your life.
Daryia Dinkins
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved the narratives, the variety, the artwork. Great project. Fun read. Nicely done. Good attention to detail. Also, superqueer. Anyway, how could you go wrong with an Alison Bechdel recommendation? I loved the narratives, the variety, the artwork. Great project. Fun read. Nicely done. Good attention to detail. Also, superqueer. Anyway, how could you go wrong with an Alison Bechdel recommendation?
Diana Welsch
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, lgbtq
I bought this at the Alternative Press Expo after seeing Dylan speak on a panel about Queer comic creators. Groundbreaking and very interesting, this graphic book compiles several interviews with different FTM trans men. The art is a little awkward but I can definitely see Dylan developing as an artist. I'm looking forward to seeing what else he makes in the future.
Rebecca
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Graphic novel that tells stories of 7 queer identified ftm transpeople. It has an intro by Alison Bechdel, and the drawings are pretty good. I liked it and would read more from this author. I'm nosey so I like reading about people's lives.
Colton
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Positively loved this. I only had one qualm: the length. As another reviewer said, it causes some if the stories to feel underdeveloped. Still, a landmark for the representation of FTM people in comics.
Monica
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-lit
This was great. A lovely depiction of so many iterations of what it means to be a queer-identified ftm. Loved it.
willowdog
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Six stories of transgender men told in graphic narrative form.
Gryffin
Dec 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Bingo Love
  • Bloodchild and Other Stories
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • Gender Queer
  • Power & Magic: The Queer Witch Comics Anthology (Power & Magic: Queer Witch Comic Anthology, #1)
  • Le bleu est une couleur chaude
  • Kim Reaper Vol. 1: Grim Beginnings
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 2
  • Skim
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Lola: A Ghost Story
  • The Pervert
  • Witches in Training (Hex Vet, #1)
  • Harrow County, Vol. 3: Snake Doctor
  • Harrow County, Vol. 2: Twice Told
  • Goldie Vance, Vol. 3
  • Brave Chef Brianna
  • Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo)
Dylan Edwards is the author of several comics, including Transposes, a biography of queer-identified trans masculine people. It was a finalist for the 2013 Lambda Literary Award for Transgender Nonfiction. His new book, Politically InQueerect: Old Ghosts and Other Stories, is out from Northwest Press in 2015. His current project is Valley of the Silk Sky, a queer YA science fiction webcomic.

His wo