Start by marking “A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  195,830 Ratings  ·  26,089 Reviews
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for th
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 421 pages
Published May 5th 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about A Court of Thorns and Roses, please sign up.

Mrsbooks I don't like the idea of Feyre and Rhysand but I do want Rhysand to have his own book! I think I could have shipped them if not for everything that…moreI don't like the idea of Feyre and Rhysand but I do want Rhysand to have his own book! I think I could have shipped them if not for everything that Feyre went through to save Tamlin. But to have the Heroine risk so much for the sake of love then have her switch guys.... I don't think I'd like her too much after that.(less)
Nicole Prak No, but I'm secretly terrified there will be one between Feyre and Rhysand later on in the series. *fingers crossed* don't have a love triangle plz…moreNo, but I'm secretly terrified there will be one between Feyre and Rhysand later on in the series. *fingers crossed* don't have a love triangle plz plz plz(less)

Khanh (the meanie)
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was ok

Clearly I'm in the minority here. DNF at 30% because I just got fed up with things moving at a snail's pace and NOT MAKING SENSE AT ALL. This was one of the most uncompelling versions of Beauty and the Beast that I have ever read. The writing is nothing outstanding, there was nothing that moved me. I felt Cruel Beauty among other B&B retellings I've read this year and last have done a far superior job at moving me emotionally.

Look, I'm sure by the end of the book, all the things tie together
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
INITIAL REACTION: WILL UPDATE WITH REVIEW LATER BUT KNOW I LOVED THIS. IT KILLED ME AND BROUGHT ME BACK TO LIFE Y'ALL.

A REVIEW IN GIFs :

Me when I received the book:
 photo iamrossexcited_zpsl6nmlo7m.gif

FEYLIN/TAMEY:
 photo tumblr_m6vjcyuNY51qdd3gno1_500_zpsioajfzl5.gif

LITERALLY ME WHENEVER THEY SPOKE TO/LOOKED AT EACH OTHER:
 photo 12695600_zpsftg16b0d.gif

THE PLOT WAS BASICALLY EVERYTHING I WANTED IT WAS...
 photo 13986870_zpsbml4mutx.gif

Amarantha,
 photo hateu_zpskbavcxsz.gif

Also Rhysand:
 photo getoffmyboat_zpscfv1l4e5.gif
(more like get off my SHIP, am I right??)

Feyre's cha
Emily May
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. Maybe my rating comes as a surprise or even - if you care - a disappointment, but let me assure you: no one is more surprised or disappointed than I am.

I've had this book on my TBR ever since it appeared on Goodreads without a title, cover or description. I started reading it as soon as it became available and the array of positive reviews from my friends and strangers alike made me feel sure I would love it. But I didn't. It is possible I expected all the wrong things from A Court
Lola  Reviewer

A richly imagined fairy tale retelling of Beauty and the Beast!

If you’re a lover of retellings mingling romance, danger, faerie mystical creatures and a heroine that shows a significant deal of courage throughout, then this is one title you will not want to miss out and will very likely considerably enjoy.

The world-building is inventive and detailed. The different Courts of faeries are an element that adds great originality to this story. At first, A Court of Thorns and Roses might appear simila
Raeleen Lemay
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This book is the result of Bella Swan being thrown into a fantasy world and trying to be Katniss Everdeen. She did not succeed.

OK MORE REVIEW:

I genuinely really enjoyed some aspects of this book, but I couldn't stand Feyre, or Tamlin... or anybody really, except for Lucien. I feel like Lucien was the only character who had an interesting back story, and he was just a much better presence than either of the main characters.

BUT THE INSTALOVE. THE INSTALOVE, GUYS. IT KILLS ME. Also verrrrry proble
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Tamlin is going to set your loins aflame. Phew! My cheeks are still flushed.

I'm also fairly confident this book is going to help change the face of new adult fiction. How awesome to see gifted writers shaping non-contemporary stories that have the coming of age/youthful perspective and vibe of YA books and combine that with the freedom that writing for an older target audience affords them. If you liked the mood and romance of (the excellent) CRUEL BEAUTY but perhaps mourned the misse
Kat O'Keeffe
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
SARAH J MAAS HAS DONE IT AGAIN! An enthralling blend of fairytale elements in an awesomely original world with characters you can't help but fall in love with! A new favorite!

Full booktalk here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4HXA...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

april 2017 - reread in prep for acowar!

Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, owned
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psls2...

*Reread April 2016
Took me centuries to reread this but it was worth it!

TEAM TAMLIN
THIS WAS FABULOUS
s j maas can do no wrong i swear to god
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
wow. Just wow. Sarah has done it again! This book was amazing! The romance was borderline new adult which I loved but it was also greatly paced. The plot was so well thought out and executed as well. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES!
Christine Riccio
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one! Here's my booktalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pLYC...
Regan
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned-read
OOOoOOOOOh sooooOOooooo gooooOOOOoooddd
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a solid start to this new series! I'm really interested to see where things go. I did find a few things to be a bit questionable, but I can't say what they are because HELLO SPOILERS. I'll be doing a full review/discussion on this sooooooon!
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so much better the second time around. I found I wasn't so concerned about rushing through to get to the next book; since I already knew what happens I was able to savor the details and carve out a tiny piece of my heart for Tam Tam (but not really because duh). On to the next one!

3.5 STARS

I am 100% embarrassed by how much I loved this book. Everything in the Humphrey household is going awry so it was wonderful being able to escape in Feyre's exciting problems and leave my own behind.
Zoë
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely one of my favorite books of 2015!
I am a huge Beauty and the Beast fan and was in the mood for fantasy, so those combined and written by one of my favorite authors was perfection!
I definitely recommend this book to everyone and can't wait for the next installment.
Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySKANKY ⚓️ Steamy Reads
2.5 Stars

Once again, I find myself the odd man out when it comes to a massively popular book...

I went into this really excited and and really wanting to love this thing.

After seeing this book and its successors paint my feed with its courts and thorns and wings and ruin, I knew there was a lot of hype surrounding this series in general.

And this first installment just didn't live up to it for me, sadly.

There, there, Court Thornians...

Quite frankly, the first 60% of this book dragged like a U-Ha
Samantha
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-my-shelf
I cannot remember ever being this conflicted over a book. There are parts of A Court of Thorns and Roses I really loved, but a lot of parts I really hated.

I went into this book fully expecting to love it. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales, and I was interested to see how SJM made the story her own.

First off, my biggest problem with this story was Feyre as a character. I have never been so irritated. Her character development and personality, for the most part, didn't make
Angela
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SARAH J MAAS DOES IT AGAIN!!!! KNOCKED MY FREAKING SOCKS OFF AND WITH A STORY RE-TELLING?!!!!

I hate story re-tellings!!! I hate them but this, this master piece is no Beauty and the Beast. I'm just gonna jump right into everything and just a little warning: I'm so sorry if this seems like I'm frantically flapping around on my keyboard, but I'm just that excited.

I was so worried that this book would have a plot too close to Throne of Glass and that the characters would also bare that same fate..
Saniya
Jun 04, 2013 marked it as to-read
Beauty and the Beast?
The Iron Fey series?
Perfection?
HALLELUJUH MY SENORITAS! :'D
Maureen
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been anticipating this book and SARAH DID NOT DISAPPOINT! it was so wonderful and just everything. I LOVED IT SO MUCH and audibly squealed at many parts. Just...wonderful. So wonderful.

Update: I have officially influenced two people to buy this book. MUAHAHA IT BEGINS.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Where to begin . . .

A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES was and wasn’t exactly what I was expecting.

I knew it was going to be a sort of Beauty and the Beast meets Tamlin mashup . . . but I didn’t really think about what that might mean.

When I think of retellings, especially fairy tale retellings, I think of the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson. I think of folk stories and mythologies that have no author to speak of, b/c they’re part of an oral tradition that
Jessica (priceiswong)
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
Reread May 2026 -- still just as amazing as the first time!

Wow. So I expected to at least LIKE this book because it was written by one of my favorite authors... But I never expected to love it. I mean obviously I was hoping it would be awesome, but Sarah J. Maas has already created an incredible series that I'm so in love with, and I can't expect that she would have it in her to create TWO insanely, amazing series. I'm so impressed with her right now... Seriously... Soooo amazing. It's one of th
Navessa
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Incredibly rough start. The first chapter is one of the most annoying I've ever read. Despite the compelling subject matter, I really struggled with it, because it was filled with passive and fragmented sentences. In three paragraphs alone, five sentences start with, "But". It drove me crazy, and is why it took me three attempts to finally get into this book.

BUT(view spoiler) once I did, whoa. Sure, there were some problematic themes, a few over-used tro
Andreea Pop
4.5 STARS

"I love you," I said, and stabbed him.

They say fairytales are forever, endless stories woven with magic. But sometimes, although you hold dear those innocent depictions of love and courage from childhood memories, your mind desires a new outlook on those tales. Case in point, A Court of Thorns and Roses by the ever-brilliant Sarah J. Maas, manages to dress the wonderful key-elements of Beauty and the Beast into a mesmerizing journey with threads of smart originality, enthralling fant
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
This was a re-read on Audible. It's my favorite new thing, to re-read books either through Audible or Overdrive.

I must say this was better the second time around but ye gods, I thought I was going to gag a maggot with all the lovey dovey and sex with Tamlin. I mean after falling in love with Rhys I can't even people. And also, who could have sex with some old beast after he had that ritual thing with someone else. Ewwww! I know it's some THING but I don't give a rats arse! Anyhoo, on to the nex
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Prepare to see what I felt like during the reading of this book...............................................................

(The original gif of the fat guy with boobs flopping in slow motion won't load. Thanks GR)

This shit reads slowwwwwlyyyyy. Not much happens in the entire first 2/3 of this whole book.
You have Feyre who is feeding her dad and her two evil stepsisters. Oh wait, this is Beauty and the Beast not Cinderella. Anyways, her dad is pretty much spineless after losing his money and
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

Edit 05/02 : So. GUYS. A Court of Mist and Fury comes out tomorrow and the drama is starting to give me a headache. I will read this book, even though I do agree and think that Sarah J. Maas feeds us love triangles as if they were cookies. This said, I will not be angry if Tamlin and Feyre split up, because ↓↓↓ (review is self-explanatory). I will not be upset if Rhysand owns the show because ↓↓↓ (again, review self-explanatory). Oh, no. If that happens, I WILL BE HAPPY. I am so very (not) sorry
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Reread 30/8/2016: WELL THIS BROKE ME A THOUSAND TIMES ALL OVER AGAIN. GREAT IDEA YOU HAD THERE, ALY. GREAT I D E A.

"Be glad of your human heart, Feyre. Pity those who don't feel anything at all."

When Feyre was eight years old, her family fell in disgrace and found themselves without a home or a penny to their name. Over the years, Feyre learned how to hunt in order to feed her family, to keep the oath she made to her dying mother. Things, however, lurk in the forest: whispers of the fae who
Rachel E. Carter
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: af
description

Alright, guys, my feels are going to be all over the place for this one. I decided to divide my review into two parts to help illuminate my verdict. I had to use a lot of SPOILERS in this review that were too hard to block so just read at your own peril.

PART ONE:
* Start with an awesome intro, cue: wolf.

description

* I know a lot of people found the beginning chapter slow but I never did. I loved it. I truly felt like I was starving in the woods and scared of the faeries who were portrayed like white walkers
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Jan 29, 2015 marked it as never-ever-ever
I don't mean to offend anyone by this, please don't take it seriously. I'm not using spoiler tag because i haven't read the book (not going to either), i'm just guessing here. So please correct me if i'm wrong about any of this.

Oh, yayy, would you look at that! Another book by Sarah J Mass, i wonder what it's about. Surely not about a "badass" young girl who falls in love with some jackass, both deny it till the very end. There also can't be any sprinkle of true love or meant to be, or soulmate
Steph Sinclair
So so so so so so GOOD. Review to come.

In the meantime, win my ARC here!: https://twitter.com/cuddlebuggery/sta...
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (Shadow and Bone, #3)
  • Gilded Ashes (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1.5)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Stone Cold Touch (The Dark Elements, #2)
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • Hidden Huntress (The Malediction Trilogy, #2)
  • The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2)
  • The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer, #2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2)
  • Empire of Night (Age of Legends, #2)
  • The Deep End of the Sea
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #2)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too
More about Sarah J. Maas...

A Court of Thorns and Roses (6 books)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #5)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses #6)

“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.” 1337 likes