Start by marking “A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)

A Court of Thorns and Roses

(A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  1,203,291 ratings  ·  96,922 reviews
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for th
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 432 pages
Published May 5th 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about A Court of Thorns and Roses, please sign up.
Lauren Gallo I admittedly starting wondering if we were going get a switch-a-roo and Feyre and Rhys would end up together. I like Tamlin, but I was always left wit…moreI admittedly starting wondering if we were going get a switch-a-roo and Feyre and Rhys would end up together. I like Tamlin, but I was always left with a sense that his and Feyre's relationship was largely set up from day one on his side to break the curse. I also felt Rhys was a more complete character. But since this is the first in a presumed series, who knows? Maas did a great job with the world-building here, and Rhys is quite complex. I wouldn't surprised if he ends up a fan favorite.(less)
Mai Nguyen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  1,203,291 ratings  ·  96,922 reviews

Start your review of A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
Sofia
That was both horrible and incredible at the same time, and my thoughts are a whirlwind.

Note: The first part of this review is spoiler-free, but the second half is most definitely not. The spoilery section is blocked off by siren emojis (🚨). Skip to the end for bonus content, including an ACOTAR rap written by yours truly.

This is the story of a mortal girl, Feyre, who kills a Fae in the woods one day. She’s whisked away to Prythian, home of the Fae, where she will live the rest of her days as
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

Clearly I'm in the minority here. DNF at 30% because I just got fed up with things moving at a snail's pace and NOT MAKING SENSE AT ALL. This was one of the most uncompelling versions of Beauty and the Beast that I have ever read. The writing is nothing outstanding, there was nothing that moved me. I felt Cruel Beauty among other B&B retellings I've read this year and last have done a far superior job at moving me emotionally.

Look, I'm sure by the end of the book, all the things tie together and
Emily May
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. Maybe my rating comes as a surprise or even - if you care - a disappointment, but let me assure you: no one is more surprised or disappointed than I am.

I've had this book on my TBR ever since it appeared on Goodreads without a title, cover or description. I started reading it as soon as it became available and the array of positive reviews from my friends and strangers alike made me feel sure I would love it. But I didn't. It is possible I expected all the wrong things from A Court
Samantha
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I cannot remember ever being this conflicted over a book. There are parts of A Court of Thorns and Roses I really loved, but a lot of parts I really hated.

I went into this book fully expecting to love it. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales, and I was interested to see how SJM made the story her own.

First off, my biggest problem with this story was Feyre as a character. I have never been so irritated. Her character development and personality, for the most part, didn't make
Miranda Reads
description

If you've ever wondered which literary world would be the best to live in, wonder no longer, cause there's a BookTube Video to answer that!
The Written Review :----------

Update - 12/6/19

Should I cross the insurmountable TBR? Or reread this series again?

I think you know the answer

----------

Here's the original review:
description
Feyre is hunting in the middle of the woods to keep her useless starving family alive (Hunger Games, anyone?).

A chance encounter with a wolf - who wasn't entirely a wolf
Cindy
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I approached this book with an open mind and wanted to enjoy it. Despite not being a fan of the superfluous writing style or the lackluster world-building, I was still willing to rate it 3 stars by viewing it as an easy guilty pleasure romance book. The relationship seems harmless and I still don't see how it's as problematic as people dramatize it to be. The first half of the book is a standard Beauty and the Beast retelling — not awful, but not special either — and then the second half really ...more
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Tamlin is going to set your loins aflame. Phew! My cheeks are still flushed.

I'm also fairly confident this book is going to help change the face of new adult fiction. How awesome to see gifted writers shaping non-contemporary stories that have the coming of age/youthful perspective and vibe of YA books and combine that with the freedom that writing for an older target audience affords them. If you liked the mood and romance of (the excellent) CRUEL BEAUTY but perhaps mourned the misse
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, ya, fantasy
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psls2...

*Reread April 2016
Took me centuries to reread this but it was worth it!

TEAM TAMLIN
THIS WAS FABULOUS
s j maas can do no wrong i swear to god
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a solid start to this new series! I'm really interested to see where things go. I did find a few things to be a bit questionable, but I can't say what they are because HELLO SPOILERS. I'll be doing a full review/discussion on this sooooooon! ...more
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
wow. Just wow. Sarah has done it again! This book was amazing! The romance was borderline new adult which I loved but it was also greatly paced. The plot was so well thought out and executed as well. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES!
Christine Riccio
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one! Here's my booktalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pLYC... ...more
NickReads
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I take back every bad thing I've said about Rhys. ...more
Bryce Rocks My Socks
rhys really just said: i could be a better boyfriend than him
Hannah Azerang
May 12, 2022 rated it it was ok
this is howl’s moving castle fanfiction and no one can convince me otherwise
✨faith✨trust✨pixiedust✨
Me to Sarah J Maas:

"Do you lie awake at night to come up with all your witty replies for the following day?"

Oh dear, this is awful.

The Writing

The title of this book is stupid. It's stupid and flashy and unrelated to the actual content of the book. It's solely for the ~wow~ factor. The quotable line, "I love you... Thorns and all" is wholely ineffective because "thorns" had not been established as a motif and was only used in that context in that very scene, more than halfway through the book
 Teodora
4.45/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

This book’s mood song match – Fix You by Coldplay

description

mum: *enters kitchen at 3 am* What the hell are you doing?
me: *with a bowl of ice cream in one hand and ACOTAR in the other* I'm starting another SJM series
mum: Hang on, I have a bottle of vodka here somewhere

And if this is not some relatable shit when facing Sarah J. Maas’s books then I don’t know what to tell you anymore. You puzzle me.

So, there you go – another great universe erected by
chan ☆
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, ya-fantasy, 2020
i'm just gonna stick with my 2017 rating. i am a girl of simple, slutty tastes. ...more
Maria
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.8/5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.”

I'm speechless. What am I supposed to say after this? Am I supposed to write a coherent review with vital points as to why this book WAS FUCKING AMAZING??? I CAN'T EVEN TALK RIGHT NOW I'M SPEECHLESS. I WANT THE SECOND BOOK IN MY HANDS BUT MY ORDER STILL HASN'T COME. I'M READY TO GO TO FUCKING ENGLAND MYSELF AND PURCHASE IT. KIDS I'M LITERALLY DYING HERE.

The Beauty and the Beast-esque fantasy drama tells t
Warda
First read: May 2015
Second read: May 2016
Third read: April 2017
Fourth read: February 2018
Fifth read: June 2019 — I think this is my most read series alongside Harry Potter and Mistborn.
Sixth reread: Feb 2021

Every reread of this book has somewhat differed but nothing too drastic. It’s still my least favourite in the series. There’s nostalgia involved since this was my first book by Sarah J Maas. I’ve become really familiar with these books now. Or maybe I should say attached.

It’s a great Beauty
Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️
2.5 Stars

Once again, I find myself the odd man out when it comes to a massively popular book...

I went into this really excited and and really wanting to love this thing.

After seeing this book and its successors paint my feed with its courts and thorns and wings and ruin, I knew there was a lot of hype surrounding this series in general.

And this first installment just didn't live up to it for me, sadly.

There, there, Court Thornians...

Quite frankly, the first 60% of this book dragged like a U-H
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so much better the second time around. I found I wasn't so concerned about rushing through to get to the next book; since I already knew what happens I was able to savor the details and carve out a tiny piece of my heart for Tam Tam (but not really because duh). On to the next one!

3.5 STARS

I am 100% embarrassed by how much I loved this book. Everything in the Humphrey household is going awry so it was wonderful being able to escape in Feyre's exciting problems and leave my own behind.
Federico DN
Jul 10, 2022 rated it really liked it
Feyre in Faerieland.

In the Mortal Lands, young Feyre accidentally kills a Fae while hunting in the woods to feed her desperately starving family. By Treaty Laws Feyre’s fate is now forfeit and must surrender the remainder of her life to Prythian, the magical Kingdom of the Faeries, where not so long ago, humans were enslaved and killed purely for sport.

Finally I can see what all the hype was about! Sadly I cannot say this was one of my personal favorites, but I do think much of the books prais
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
“I wasn’t faerie, but I was a part of this earth, and the earth was a part of me, and I would be content to dance upon it for the rest of my life.”

~3.5 stars~

ACOTAR was nothing short of a delightful enigma, there was so much in this novel that I adored and some things that I wish were better. It blew me all the way away and left me wanting more of its glorious world and even mightier characters.

note: copyright of all fanart goes to their amazing artists
_______________

The Land of
Angela
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
SARAH J MAAS DOES IT AGAIN!!!! KNOCKED MY FREAKING SOCKS OFF AND WITH A STORY RE-TELLING?!!!!

I hate story re-tellings!!! I hate them but this, this master piece is no Beauty and the Beast. I'm just gonna jump right into everything and just a little warning: I'm so sorry if this seems like I'm frantically flapping around on my keyboard, but I'm just that excited.

I was so worried that this book would have a plot too close to Throne of Glass and that the characters would also bare that same fate..
Zoë
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely one of my favorite books of 2015!
I am a huge Beauty and the Beast fan and was in the mood for fantasy, so those combined and written by one of my favorite authors was perfection!
I definitely recommend this book to everyone and can't wait for the next installment.
Zainab
Oh my God I want to cry this was so bad and that cringey Tamlin made me want to double cry.

"I was as unburdened as a piece of dandelion fluff, and he was the wind that stirred me about the world.”

Get outta here, dumbass.
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
”You murdered my friend,” the beast snarled. “Murdered him, skinned his corpse, sold it at the market, and then said he deserved it, and yet you have the nerve to question my generosity?”

When I first read “A Court of Thorns and Roses” I thought that this would be some sort of “The Beauty and the Beast” retelling and I guess in some way it truly is. Well, at least at first it seems to be one, the longer you read, the more it goes into an entirely different direction though.

And I think it was exac
aileen  |  dorian's version ✾
I’m a second away from dousing myself in gasoline and lighting myself on fire just so I never have to look at this book again.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Reread 2022 - I listened to this in the GraphicAudio format and it was really cool. I’m hoping they start doing all the books this way. Although, if you have any crying scenes or deaths in the books, the actual event and music damn near kills you 😬

This was a re-read on Audible. It's my favorite new thing, to re-read books either through Audible or Overdrive.

I must say this was better the second time around but ye gods, I thought I was going to gag a maggot with all the lovey dovey and sex with
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
As others mentioned this feels like Bella Swan trying to act like Katniss Everdeen so basically, this was Twilight with fairies instead of vampires and some cringy love/sex scenes...

In the beginning, I was giving it a shot, trying to focus on the world that was intriguing but not even half way through the book I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. I literally said "oh come on" a couple times out loud...

I have honestly no idea how to review this book.

*Adding here that YES I will read the second book s
Let's Talk Big Sc...: A Court of Thorns and Roses 1 5 Dec 03, 2022 07:20PM
A Court of Dreams...: A Court of Thorns and Roses 97 370 Dec 03, 2022 10:24AM
Turn of a Page: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas 48 57 Dec 02, 2022 08:11AM
2022 & 2023 Readi...: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1 9 42 Nov 27, 2022 04:34PM
Do you think that what Tamlin did justified the way that Rhys and Feyre treated him? 7 213 Nov 11, 2022 09:48AM
Feysand or Feylin? 44 328 Nov 09, 2022 10:31AM

• The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The ​Crown of Gilded Bones (Blood and Ash, #3)
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The War of Two Queens (Blood and Ash, #4)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • The Lost City of Ithos (Mage Errant, #4)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Neon Gods (Dark Olympus, #1)
  • It Ends with Us (It Ends with Us, #1)
See top shelves…
Sarah J. Maas is the #1 New York Times and internationally bestselling author of the Crescent City, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and the Throne of Glass series. Her books have sold more than twelve million copies and are published in thirty-seven languages. A New York native, Sarah lives in Philadelphia with her husband, son, and dog. To find out more, visit sarahjmaas.com or follow @therealsjmaas ...more

A Court of Thorns and Roses (6 books)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #5)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #6)

Articles featuring this book

As the final days of the year tick themselves off the calendar, the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge is coming to a close. Sincere...
“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.” 3186 likes