Start by marking “Kate's Turn” as Want to Read:
Kate's Turn

Kate's Turn

(Kate #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  612 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Kate, chafing under the old-fashioned restrictions of the Mormon Church, travels back in time and learns from her great-great-great-great-grandmother what it really means to be a Latter-day Saint.
Published September 1st 1994 by Covenant Communications Inc (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Kate's Turn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate's Turn

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
564 books — 469 voters
Pillar of Light by Gerald N. LundLike a Fire Burning by Gerald N. LundA Season of Joy by Gerald N. LundFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack Weyland
LDS Fiction
148 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenny
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
I am very selective about the LDS novels I read/like, but I enjoyed this series. I read it right after high school, and it was just good timing for me, as I was making decisions about what to do with my life. I think I could relate to Kate in a lot of ways, and that's why I liked the book. It's not like the series was great literature, but I appreciate when I can connect with characters and make changes for the better in myself and my life because of reading a book. Maybe if I read them again, I ...more
Sara
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I really enjoyed this book. Part two was much more interesting and it seemed to pick up the pace alot more. I became pretty attached to the characters and it made me cry... Kate's experience is definitely one to remember!! It makes me want to know all of the stories of my ancestors and read their journals.
Great read!! I'm thrilled it is a series!
Cami
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! If you're looking for a testimony booster or you simply need some uplifting reading, this is the book to read! I finished it in about a day and a half, couldn't put it down.
Jen
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Kristen Nelson
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great LDS novel about true changes of the heart.
Kate has been Mormon all of her life, but now that she's a teenager, she is starting to chafe under all of the "rules" that come with following the commandments. She rebels against the Church and her family, especially her mother. She wears revealing clothing, swears like it's a new vocabulary, and is in a serious relationship with a boy that only wants one thing from her. When Kate suddenly finds herself in a life-threatening situation, her ances
Alyse
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lexi-likes
Has a definitely different plot line!
Mimi
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is another book that I just inherited from my parents, a book that I had read back in high school. I still enjoyed it and the topics it raised, but the actual writing is not breath taking. I know that since it is fiction, it does not have to be realistic, but I found it strange that we could have sections where the narrator/main point of view were the people in Kate's dream/vision. It was interesting to see what they were thinking, but for some reason it bothered me.

It is a book about an L
Maddie Senator
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Looking at the cover of the book that my friend had loaned to me, I felt myself wince inwardly. "This has got to be way old and way cheesy!" I thought. But then I started reading it and couldn't put it down! I'm really surprised that it took me in the way it did, but this book had a certain power in it. I loved the idea of a rebellious teenager who changes her ways after getting to be a part of her ancestors' lives and experiencing their hardships and faith. I love reading about "the olden days" ...more
Natalie Gamble
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Believe it or not, book reports can actually be good for something. One of my friends had to give an oral book report to my class in 6th grade on this book and I thought it sounded so interesting that I found it at the library and thoroughly enjoyed it. I really enjoy Crane's writing style and am constantly checking to see if she has come out with anything new.
Emily
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls age 13 up
Recommended to Emily by: the librarian at my school
This book made me cry. It was so said when her Grandma Colleen died. I thought it was cool how Kate found the secret bottom to the trunk. I was really happy that Kate and her mom got everything worked out. Another great thing about this book is that it has no bad language. I like that in a book.
Nichole
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I actually read this book and the rest in its series when I was junior in high school. I LOVED it then and still enjoy it today. It is a quick read and is a lower reading level. Sometimes books (even though directed towards a younger market) written in a lower reading level drive me insane, personally. I loved the pioneer part of this book the most.
Emily
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was excellent. what its basically about is a rebellious teen named kate. she runs into misfortune and goes into a coma. while shes in the coma, she travels the plains with her great great great great grandmother and the other pioneers. she learns alot and realizes she needs to be better. i would definately recommend this book
Jodie
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young women and thier mothers
I reread this book this week, and I was really impressed again. I had forgotten how much I really enjoyed this book. I am so impresed with how the author really gets in entire perspective of not only the young woman, but her mother. Now, being a mother, I can relate to both sides of this story. Great read!
Jayme
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This series will always hold a special place in my heart. Cheri J. Crane really understands how many LDS youth feel and how hard it can be to be strong in the world today. These books were so realistic to me and I appreciated that. :)
Lisa
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I read this book around 12 years old. It stuck with me.
I really liked it. It's about a rebellious teen who gets into an accident and dreams about her ancestry and lives the life they did.
When she woke up she wondered if it was all a dream.
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
I loved this book. Lds Fiction is a genre that I adore. I love Cheri J. Crane's writing style and I also love the message of this book. A must read for all. Everybody can change and this book will show you that.
Marie
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
There is too much rebellion and tragedy in this book for me. I often felt frustrated and angry after spending time reading it! It did have great insight into the life of a pioneer, and how their struggles matter to us today.
Elisabeth
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ALL LDS GIRLS!!!!!!
Recommended to Elisabeth by: my aunt sarah
I love LDS books out plain but this one hit me hard. I am Young and this book really opened my eyes to what I could become!!!This book warms the heart and strengthens the testimony. All young LDS women and girls should read this book.
Johyne'
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a teenager. It really held my interest.

Kate is a troubled young woman, making plenty of bad choices, who has a chance to turn her life around when she has a strange experience. . .
Rachi
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good book for youth readers. I read it growing up and found it inspired me to try to act more in accordance with gospel teachings. Kate is a funny and likable character, to whom you will find yourself not only relating, but growing attached to.
Christene
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute series i read as a girl.
Kira
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is an easy read that I read in high school and I really liked it. I am reading it again now and I remember why I liked it.
Natalie
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love the Kate's Turn series. One of my all time favorites!
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
#1 of 5
Own: Book
Susan
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I had a really hard time getting into this book.
Kelly
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Another audio book that I listened to growing up! Chalked with pioneer history and a story that captures your heart, Kate's Turn is a great book about change and the importance of heritage.
Julia
May 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Great story for LDS youth. Especially Jack Weyland fans.
Jessica
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was in Jr. High and remember loving it!
Melissa
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
Read it years ago, but liked it. A rebellious teenager finds her way after a serious accident and a dream while in a coma about her ancestors crosssing the plains.
Melissa
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
My mom gave me this for christmas one year as a teenager-good read for young women
which one comes first? 2 11 Sep 07, 2008 09:08AM
  • A Promise of Forever
  • Lean on Me
  • Ariana: A Gift Most Precious (Ariana, #2)
  • Some Sweet Day