Start by marking “Poisoned Petals (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Poisoned Petals (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #3)

Poisoned Petals

(Peggy Lee Garden Mystery #3)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Peggy Lee is just about to deliver some endangered sunflowers to Darmus Appleby when a gas explosion blows out his door-and Peggy finds her fellow botanist dead on the kitchen floor. Two weeks later his brother dies, with an overpoweringly sweet purple hyacinth tucked in his pocket. Now Peggy must follow her nose-and some cryptic clues from an internet informant-to root ou ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Poisoned Petals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poisoned Petals

Betty
I have read most of this series and enjoyed it. This book is poorly written and confusing in places. It did add the missing parts to the series.Peggy is slowly recovering from her husband's death. Peggy visits a friend, Darmus and is there when the house explores. Peggy goes into recused her friend, but she is too late as he is dead. Darmas was head FEED AMERICA. His brother Luther takes over the organization and is later found murdered. Peggy's parents are visiting her and Steve is becoming imp ...more
Alexandra Pauley
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
This is a new series for me, so we'll see how it goes!

I was wrong- I had read this series before. And in fact, I thought I remembered liking it, but this book didn't do anything for me. There was no joy, which I expect in a "cozy" novel. Oh well. Lots more books out there to start!
C.
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
After identifying Joyce Lavene’s second novel, I resumed “Poisoned Petals”. Details had been irksome in several places: a possessive boyfriend at Steve’s mature age, authors’ remarks about dogs solely understanding key gestures and words; demonstrating misunderstanding of animals. Peggy is suddenly vegetarian on paper, further indicating that these authors plop down well-meaning concepts without genuinely being in the know about them. Worse: Steve messes about, kissing Peggy, before attending to ...more
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well a lot happened in this book. Peggy went thru a lot of suspects.
Lanette
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm not even 10% into the book and already I'm annoyed. Peggy-the-doctorate had to look up what Monarch butterflies eat?!?!?! Really? Because my kids could have told you that when they were five years old.

Unfortunately, it didn't get much better for me. Too many less-than-plausible occurrences.
Judy
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Professor Peggy Lee is busy again. While trying to decide to leave her position at Queens College and devote all her time to her retail venture, The Potting Shed, her good friend Darmus Appleby dies in a gas explosion in his home. Two weeks later, Darmus's brother, Luther is found murdered in the Feed America garden. Thinking this is too much of a coincidence, Peggy starts to become suspicious.

Her neighbor and new best friend, Steve warns her to stay safe. Her son Paul, a member of Charlotte's
Dawn Michelle

Have you ever read a book, figured out what was going on about halfway through and then really wanted the book to be done so you can see if you are right? Yeah, that's how this book was for me.

I found this story to be so...so...well, unbelievable. I mean, most "cozy mysteries" are unbelievable to a certain degree, because WHO really keeps finding dead people and then solving their murders like the people in the "cozy mysteries" do? But, most of the time, there is some ring of truth in the stor
Susan Ferguson
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoy these books.
Peggy Lee has her hands full in this book. Her mother and fatehr have come to visit and brought along Aunt Mayfield and Cousin Melvin. The two are, as her father says, "rubes". Peggy goes by to see Darmus Appleby who founded Feed America to take him some rare native sunflowers. As she approaches the house, she smells gas and the house explodes. She calls 911 and goes in to save him and barely makes it out. Unfortunately, he is dead. His brother Luther is asked to take over F
Mary
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lent-by-another
I love this Peggy Lee series, but I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first two. I'm reading them one behind the other, so that may be why.
I enjoyed her relationship with her Dad and how he got caught up with her investigation, not wanting to hang out with his wife and the aunt and uncle going to all the malls. Funny stuff.
Didn't like how they treated the Nightrider situation...it was kind of abrupt, but I think he'll be back in the following books...at least, I hope it just didn't end that
Dharia Scarab
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing

4 sta
Ed
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
#3 in the Garden Mystery series. For me, horticulture and the Charlotte, NC setting add to the appeal of this series. Others may want to remove a star from the rating.

A Garden Mystery - Peggy Lee is just about to deliver some endangered sunflowers to Darmus Appleby when a gas explosion blows out his door-and Peggy finds her fellow botanist dead on the kitchen floor. Two weeks later his brother dies, with an overpoweringly sweet purple hyacinth tucked in his pocket. Now Peggy must follow her nose
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dr. Margaret (Peggy) Lee is a Botanist taking special Sunflowers to a fellow Botanist. Upon arrival at his home the house blows up and her friend is killed, or is he? Someone is dead.

Peggy's family comes to visit from South Carolina, and along with her friends and co-workers soon join in to help solve this dilemma. The police seem to not want to search all lines of enquiry.

And, Peggy's secret admirer? Nightflyer? Is he part of the crime or the solution?

This was an excellent read and makes me wan
Carolyn Crawford
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozies
This is yet another amazing adventure with Peggy Lee, Botonist and owner of the Potting Shed. In this book her family comes to visit her and I love the relationship she has with her father. It is sweet and very real. All the other characters are very well developed as well. Her relationship with Steve progresses in a very real manner. The mystery is exciting and has a lot of twists and turns throughout the story. I look forward to reading Peggy's next adventure!!!!
Mascanlon
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Peggy Lee is a botanist, widow of a police detective and owner of a new gardening shop in an urban area. But the p[lot was very scattered and the ending depended on to many coincidences for me. And the anonymous Internet informant...pluueese...Peggy is smart enough to find the clues herself, this is a lazy plot tool! I enjoyed the characters but the next outing I'll be looking for a more solid story line.
Kme_17
This one was not my favorite. It was about a botanist that works with the police. She is connected to two bothers who die and she is helping to find out who murder them. Nothing technically wrong with this book. I just had a hard time connecting to the main character. I did not really like her and was really not rooting for her. Will probably not try the other ones in the series.
Amy
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Peggy Lee has her family coming to visit and she has gotten herself involved in a murder investigation. This time her good friend Darmus has died in a gas fire, and then his brother Luther does soon after.
Her boyfriend Steve helps to keep her family entertained, and Peggy's dad likes to help her.
An enjoyable read with an interesting plot.
Jill
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Number 3 in the Peggy Lee Garden Mystery series. Peggy along with her friends and family manage to fumble their way through yet another mystery, thanks to her knowledge of poison plants. Her parents are visiting this time. They even actually think Peggy's "boyfriend" is very nice and Peggy finally admits how she really feels about Steve.
Katie
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This mystery did not grab my attention as much as the previous two did. I didn't feel as if the author gave us enough time to understand how important Darmus was to Peggy. I actually figured out whodunit this time around, too!
Wanda
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
At first the book started off rather slow and uninteresting, but as I continued to read the book I was quite impressed from then on. Very good read and I am looking forward in finding more books in this particular mystery series.
K.
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozies, flora, mystery
Kathie
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit hard to follow in places and why introduce her family at all. Those poor people were left on their own an awful lot.
Melissa (ladybug)
May 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
The writing was ok but, when they introduced the bad guy, I knew right away who done it. :( that was a big disappointment.
Amary Chapman
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
Multiple suspects make Peggy's tracking down the murderer even harder. Lots of botanical info along with a great mystery. Loved it.
Katie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
great
Kerri
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Will have to get myself the other books from this series
Alyssa White
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This book was very good! Kept you guessing on what was happening!
Vicky
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Could not get my hands on Fruit of the Poisoned Tree (book 2) but it seems I didn't miss anything between the 1st and 3rd in this series.
Michelle
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
A somewhat predictable mystery. The plant information was interesting, and the characters were likable.
Lorlee
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
good summer reads. Darmus fakes death and his brother is murdered. Culprit was the son he had never known.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Deadly Dealer (A Collectible Mystery, #3)
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)
  • With this Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady #5)
  • Double Dog Dare (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #6)
  • Begging for Trouble (Dog Walker Mysteries, #4)
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
  • The Case of the Tough-Talking Turkey (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #2)
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
  • The Glimpses of the Moon (Gervase Fen, #10)
  • Knit, Purl, Die (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #2)
  • The Grub-And-Stakers House a Haunt (Grub-And-Stakers #5)
  • The Prisoner
  • How to Tail a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #4)
  • Cat in a Topaz Tango (Midnight Louie #21)
  • Swift Run (A Charlie Swift Mystery #3)
  • Town in a Pumpkin Bash  (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #4)
aka Elyssa Henry and Joye Ames, J.J. Cook, and Ellie Grant

Joyce Lavene and Jim Lavene are a wife and husband team who have written and published more than 70 books since 1999. They live in North Carolina with their family and enjoy cooking, photography and ghost hunting.

Peggy Lee Garden Mystery (9 books)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Fruit of the Poisoned Tree (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #2)
  • Perfect Poison (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #4)
  • A Corpse for Yew (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #5)
  • Buried By Buttercups (Peggy Lee Garden Mysteries #5.5)
  • A Thyme to Die (The Peggy Lee Garden Mysteries, #6)
  • Lethal Lily (Peggy Lee Garden Mysteries, #7)
  • Killing Weeds (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery #8)