Start by marking “Unhallowed Ground” as Want to Read:
Unhallowed Ground

Unhallowed Ground

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In the summer of 1891, Henry Feathering travels to Bittersweet Lodge at the invitation of his reclusive widower uncle. Under the shadow of the dilapidated old mansion, Henry falls in love with the enigmatic Clemency St. James and proposes to her in the shelter of a locust grove.

As the newlyweds settle into the lodge, they soon learn of the house’s sordid past—ghostly visi
ebook
Published October 16th 2012 by DarkFuse

To ask other readers questions about Unhallowed Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unhallowed Ground

Char
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this Victorian style tale.
It begins in the summer of 1891 with Henry Featherling catching a train to go visit his uncle at Bittersweet Lodge. Aboard the train he meets a wonderfully friendly brother and sister named Justice and Clemency,respectively. As a bonus Henry finds that they are disembarking in the same town as he- Berwick. Arrangements are made so they can visit each other while they're all in town.
From there the story accelerates and never looks back. A marriage, a death and s
Kimberly
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Incredible, atmospheric tale in the gothic tradition. The author makes mention of Poe in this novella, and his influence is clearly showcased throughout. This story takes place in 1891, and everything from the scenery, mentality of the characters, and the courtship between Henry and Clem fit the theme perfectly. This strongly reminded me of an old-style victorian tale in every way. There is a sinister undertone hinted at in the relationship between Clemency and her brother Justice, that is never ...more
Charlie
Unhallowed Ground is a short study, roughly 77 pages, in gothic fiction. Following the tradition, it includes the dilapidated estate, a reclusive relation, a haunting past and a doomed future with an emphasis on setting to create emotion and in truth, a character. I'm a big fan of the gothic novel and after giving this some thought, I figured out what wasn't clicking. All the bare bones of the story are there and with some tweaking could turn this into a great book. It comes down to pacing and t ...more
Dianne
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Henry Feathering, a young man in the late 19th century meets and falls in love with Clemency St. James while on a visit to his uncle's home, a dark place in disrepair with an ominous feel to it. He inherits the home with unusual requests, one of them being NOT to live there. In spite of this, Henry and Clemency marry and move in, happy and eager to start their lives together, but happiness turns bleak.

This novella tells a complete story with few words and a very Victorian feel! I was transported
Diane S ☔
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Spooky old houses, a strange uncle, ghosts and a grave in unhallowed ground, all things I love in horror novels. I really did enjoy this, it was well written, the narration was very good and easy to follow, while not scarred to be alone at night scary, did have it's moments. If you are a reader though, who like definitive endings, that is not what you get in this book, though their are enough clues to allow the reader to come to their own conclusion. Will definitely read more by this author.
Mike
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I gave it 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed reading this gothic tale but when I was done I felt that something was missing in the story. Maybe the ending could of been better or the story could have been longer. But overall I did enjoy the story and will be reading his next book.
Heather
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
(This review can also be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

When I read the synopsis for Unhallowed Ground by Daniel Mills, I must confess that I was more than intrigued. I love a good ghost story, so there was no way I was going to let this one pass me by. Although this book wasn't as ghosty (not a real word, haha) as I would've liked, it was still a nice read.

Unhallowed Ground by Daniel Mills is a short story told by the main character, Henry Feathering.
Reeka (BoundbyWords)
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
As seen on my blog:

I wanted to love this book. I wanted to SO badly. It began SO brilliantly, and spoke to me of only beautiful, promising things..*sigh* and then left me high and dry in a hole filled with my own disappointment. That was a horrible analogy. I just wish I could be writing a 5 star review right now. Do you SEE that cover!? How could it be anything but amazing? (Yes, this is me 'judging a book by it's cover').

It started off on a high, with beautifully decrepit scenery circa the 18
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of Henry Feathering. He has accepted an invitation to stay at his Uncle's mansion, and on the way there, by a chance encounter on the train he meets the woman destined to be his wife, Clemency and her brother, Justice. They are traveling to the same town to stay with their elderly aunts. Henry falls in love with Clemency and asks her to marry him while on a walk in the grounds of his Uncles estate. His uncle leaves the estate to Henry, but entreats him not to bring his new wife ...more
Erin
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Daniel Mills' Unhallowed Ground is definitely a noteworthy piece, but that being said, I have mixed feelings about the story.

To Mills' credit, he really captured the style and flow that characterizes gothic literature. The voice he crafted for narrator Henry Feathering would do Poe proud. Mills' wording strikes the same cords and in that respect I really have to applaud this piece.

Still, I can't bri
MaryAnn
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, ya
This story is from the Victorian age and the main character is Henry who visits his Uncle's estate called Bittersweet Lodge. The house is described as a wonderful mansion that has fallen into neglect and not kept up for the house or the grounds. On his travels he meets a brother and sister pair, Justice and Clemency and strikes up a friendship with them. He invites them to visit him at the estate and one thing leads to another and Henry and Clemency get married. Henry's uncle warns him not to se ...more
Mary Chrapliwy
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Bittersweet Lodge is a once grand ruin of a house. The protagonist Henry Feathering goes on a trip to visit his uncle at the old home. Enroute he meets Clemency and Justice, who he becomes close friends with. Eventually, though, he falls in love with Clemency and proposes to her in a grove that shelters an grave on unhallowed ground.

Daniel Mills has crafted a novella with a thoroughly Victorian feel. If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn that I was reading a truly victorian novel. The sto
Cphe
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, gothic
Others have already attended to the synopsis. My thoughts on the novella, I really enjoyed the gothic feel of this Victorian novella. Much is alluded to, but little is revealed. It is up to the reader to interpret events. I found this to be highly descriptive with the aged and crumbling mansion, fog and darkness. Then there are the ghostly overtones.
The characters were well fleshed out. The naive, romantic Henry, the enigmatic Clemency and the brooding Justice.

A relatively quick read with wonder
Wendy-Lynn
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Ghosts, Haunted Houses, Strange Family Members, an Old Grave in "Unhallowed Ground" are just some of the elements featured in Daniel Mill's spooky tale. While I do love my scary stories, this one fell flat. I did not find myself scared enough where I needed to "keep the lights on." However, it did have it's moments, but not enough to warden more than three stars. The ending did not give you anything definitive as to what actually happened. You need to draw your own conclusions which I thought wa ...more
Ashley
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook, for-review, 2012
Thanks Net Galley!!! You're the best!

I really liked where Mills was going with this. The story is nice and interesting, the characters are likable, and the writing is flows very well. There was one part that fell very flat (I can't say more without spoiling!) but overall this was a great quick read. I would definitely read more from Mills.
* Booksessed * Bec
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-net-galley
Book provided by the publisher.

I've got to say, I was quite surprised by this. It was well written and had a good plot. I really liked the characters, my only issue was the ending, after everything that happened and were told.....to end like that.... I was like whaaaaaaat?????? I feel a bit cheated out of what could have been a great ending
Deb Novack
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A young man Henry Feathering who lives in the late 19th century meets and falls in love with Clemency St. James. He was visiting his uncle's home, a house that was in disrepair and an extremely dark place. This was a good novella and I love the Victorian era that it was set in.

***I received this book in exchange for an honest review****
Matthew
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
An effective, very well written gothic tale. Mills shows a gift for inhabiting historical time periods effortlessly. Not as original as Revenants but an excellent read.
Daniel Drago
Nov 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was well written but the story never went anywhere and it just never fell into the horror genre for me. Just wasn't my style. Had a hard time finishing.
Bhishm N
Jul 17, 2014
PenneyDreadful
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic, horror
Another haunting story by a recent discovery of mine.
Chris
Oct 23, 2012
Waffles
Jan 25, 2016
C.M. Muller
Mar 11, 2013
Daniel Mills is the author of the novels Moriah (2017) and Revenants (2011) and of the 2014 collection The Lord Came at Twilight. His short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and anthologies including The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror and The Year’s Best Dark Fantasy and Horror. He lives in Vermont
More about Daniel Mills...