Start by marking “Sky Blue” as Want to Read:
Sky Blue

Sky Blue

Colin Scott is a top literary agent at a firm representing some of the biggest names in publishing. He's worked hard to reach this place, yet now it seems routine and aggravating. On top of the creeping cynicism in his professional life, Colin and his wife are desperate to have a baby. As the pressure mounts, he finds himself questioning almost every decision he's ever mad ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Moody Publishers (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sky Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sky Blue

Lou
This books is weird but great. The beginning was shocking because it tells you the bad and the ugly side of the publishing world. I always wanted to read -or listen- the truth about the book industry, and reading this from a fiction book, was like getting a slap in the face because it's true. It couldn't be otherwise coming from an author that writes from the heart.

The middle of the book focused more on the romance and Colin was really depressed. At that point, I felt sad and pessimist. Yeah, bl
Nina
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Amazing book. Not what I expected. I'm still puzzled by it and I don't think this story will leave me for a long time. I plowed through it over the last 2 nights after seeing it on my friend Kim's goodreads profile. I had it here at home on my bookshelf for the last two years. I bought it on a whim after meeting the author briefly at my local Barnes & Noble. This may be my next bookclub choice. Sad, serious, hard to handle at certain times but definitely recommended.
Michelle
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is VERY different. The author's style is strange...random thoughts and conversations that come together to make a story. I almost stopped reading it 3 or 4 times, but I stuck with it, and toward the middle I was caught up in the story...but confused! It all comes together at the end, though.
Rob
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Thrasher is a contemporary christian writer, and like many others,somewhat undiscovered. Sky blue is my favorite so far -- very good characters and another interesting look at relationships. You should check him out. Same with Ted Dekker and Frank Perretti.
Jerry
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
A good story, but not the best writing style.
Rachel
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the most thought provoking books I have read in some time. It has a surprise ending and the storyline is sometimes mysterious, but I found myself not being able to stop reading. I cared about the main character and could see a bit of myself in him. Hope this review will encourage readers. Just know it is a deep and thoughtful read. So glad I read it!
Ashley
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianfiction
So many things about this book are odd and don’t make sense, yet I kept reading. I had to know how it would wrap up. This is definitely a unique Christian book that presents a blurry picture of the gospel that might intrigue skeptics.
Rebecca
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I really didn’t like this book till about halfway through. The ending was a bit preachy but unexpected which is why it got 3 stars instead of 2.
Beth
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, christian, fiction
The twist in this story really made me mad! I actually got into an argument with the book....
Martha
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
story lost to me but interesting look into how books and authors and agents meld together
Deborah
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Colin Scott is at the top of his game. Representing the biggest names in the publishing world, he works with authors in securing their loyalty - and their
manuscripts. But despite his success, he can't help but feel that life has fallen short of his expectations. His wife Jen, wants to have a baby, and no matter how much they try, their hopes die with the negative results every month. In time she drifts away from him, frustrated by the demands of their jobs, and their lack of emotional connection
Lori Twichell
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When Colin and his wife finally get away to take a much needed break, he’s certain that it will be the fix for everything that’s been going on in his life. He’s just been handed a huge project potentially worth millions of dollars and this is a chance for him to re-connect with his wife in a way that they haven’t in a long time. With glorious beaches, lots of chances to talk and hope for a fresh start, Colin is ready for everything to change; just not the way that it does. A tragic parasailing a ...more
Brian Palmer
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Travis Thrasher's most compelling work. Tragedy, love, loss, desperation and hopelessness are primary themes in this riveting novel about a literary agent named Colin Scott who has become so jaded about his industry, his life and the authors he works with that he wants to give up on it all. When his wife dies unexpectedly, this augments all of his woes exponentially and he spirals into depression, loneliness and a borderline destructive bout of self-evaluation as he looks back at all things he c ...more
Angie
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Written in the first person, this book delves into the life of a book author agent who reviews author's book drafts and facilitates revisions, and then represents them in negotiating contracts with publishers. Colin, the agent, has become burnt out from the business and his marriage that see-saws on their frequent time away from both having careers that involve traveling.

The story starts rather slowly, wondering where the author is taking it. However, it picks up and is difficult to put down. Th
Tiff Miller
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Felt very convoluted and melodramatic. I think it could have been written in half the pages, with less dreariness.

The plot twist came VERY unexpectedly, and I did NOT guess that it was coming. However, it added nothing to the story. It was still pretty weird and wordy and depressing.

One bright spot - if his insight into being a literary agent is accurate at all, I am intrigued by the publishing industry now. The parts of the story dealing with his career held far more interest for me than his m
Mata
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub10-11
The story is quite unpredictable. It was hard to put down and engaging, I never quite knew where it was going. Generally liked the author's style, and I enjoyed reading it. It's a book about a man who is a literary agent, and you get a great insight into how the business works. The story is about finding yourself by losing what you love. I can't say too much more without giving away the storyline.

The only reason it didn't get more stars was attempt to tie up all the lose ends in the story with o
Robin
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
For a book I casually glanced at in the Library, read the back and stashed in my stack, this book was really quite good. I'll probably read more from this author. Clever chapter headings are all titles of various well known novels.

A story about love and loss and picking up the pieces to find oneself. A tired editor Colin, must grieve and find life and his true self after his beloved wife's death.
Sue
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Travis Thrasher is great. His style at times drives me mad, but I have to keep reading. Sky Blue is never what you think it is. Like other reviewers, I almost gave up on it in the first half, but am so glad I didn't. The twists and turns can be baffling, yet the twists and turns of reality can be baffling. I've read Home Run, Sky Blue and am about to dive into another Thrasher book, Admission!
Meagan
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this. Totally unexpected read. A friend gave me her free copy of this book from a book conference and I read it on a trip. I couldn't stop. The story is enthralling and unexpected. So challenging and comforting knowing the struggles inside the minds of others. I should circle back and re-read it.
Nancy
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-10-11
Although this story had some interesting turns, I found it difficult to follow. The protaganist never seemed to have a close relationship with his wife, yet seemed completely devastated when she "died". I never figured out who the guy that kept stalking him was. I wondered if he was having a breakdown which also never seemed to be answered.
Kelli Forbes
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
As with some of the other Travis Thrasher books that I've read, I wonder how much of the author is in the main character. I feel like it might be quite a lot - whether or not that is really true, it makes the story real and thoroughly draws me in. The ending took me by surprise! I loved it!

"Sky Blue" will most certainly be one that I purchase (rather then just borrow from the library).
Lisa
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I read by this author. I didn't think I'd like it, and the interesting thing is that it wasn't until I finished the book that I realized that I loved it. During the book, I wasn't sure how much I liked it, but I'm super happy I finished reading it.
Lisa
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book starts out slow and then builds up to where I didn't want to put it down. The only thing is that this is soooo out there-couldn't happen what this guy was writing. Says it is a novel about love, loss and finding one's place in the world. Is ok.
Caitlin
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it
I took a two-week course about "writing the great American novel" taught by Mr. Thrasher. The class proved interesting and I was interested in his work. The book is good, but slow at times. Great for people interested in the writing/publishing industry.
Troy
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sky Blue is a fantastic read. This was my second time reading the book. I will read it again in a few years. Travis Trasher is an excellent storyteller with the ability to create realistic characters.
John
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Travis wrapped me up with his characters and story. The bulk of this book is played out much in the main character's mind, and while I would normally ditch that kind of story, I couldn't stop reading this one.
sky blue has nestled itself into the top spot of my favorite books.
Dara
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
It was hard to get into but it kept my interest enough to keep me reading. It wasn't until about 3/4 of the way through did I decide it was worth reading. End was unexpected...but there was some foreshadowing throughout that made me predict parts of the ending.
Sherry
Jul 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I liked this book- very surprising ending that made the book fun to read. This poor main character has a tragedy in his life- and then his whole life sort of spirals out of control. Also has a spiritual tone to this book== good read!
Emily
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
For some reason, this book reminded me of 40.
Chris
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Quick read us the only reason I finished it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bestselling author Travis Thrasher has written over 50 books, spanning genres in fiction, nonfiction and children’s literature. His inspirational stories have included collaborations with filmmakers, musicians, athletes, celebrities and pastors.

With the childhood goal of pursuing a writing career starting in third grade, Thrasher worked for 13 years at Tyndale House Publishers after graduating co