Start by marking “Melt Down (Breakers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Melt Down (Breakers, #2)

Melt Down

(Breakers #2)

In the hills of Idaho, Ness Hook is about to be run out of his mom's house by his bullying brother Shawn. In Redding, California, Tristan Carter is about to graduate college, but with no job and no prospects, she may have to move back in with her parents.

Ness soon discovers his best friend dead of disease. With a pandemic burning through Idaho, Shawn takes Ness and their m
Published October 17th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Melt Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melt Down

Start your review of Melt Down (Breakers, #2)
Timothy Ward
I'm sorry to say it's been awhile since I listened to this, but authors need reviews, so better late than never. That said, I'm going to have to be brief based on what I remember.

Edward W. Robertson is building a strong reputation with this second book in the Breakers series for giving me what I want in post-apocalyptic fiction: character focused, clean prose, emotional engagement, solid action, and unpredictable endings. More of a twist is that he's essentially started over in Breakers #2 with
Jemma
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing

The dignified way to start this review would be to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. In my review of the previous instalment, ‘Breakers’, I had all but sworn not to continue with the series; and yet here we are. I honestly only meant to read a few pages, to catch the flavour and then put it to the back of my mind, but ‘Meltdown’ had other ideas for me. From the get go I was hooked on this book, and I truly loved it from start to finish. Even I am surprised by the complete 180 my brain has
Dave Farmer
Meltdown follows the same time line as Breakers but with a new set of characters, and whilst there's nothing wrong with starting from the beginning, with different points of view, I couldn't help but feel both cheated out of finding what happened next after Breakers, and yet intrigued to see the events unfold with new characters.

The story begins on a firmer footing compared to Breakers, the characters are more fleshed out, relationships are well defined and when things go bad it has more impact
Maggie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series is still interesting me. Contains a lot of violence, but manages to hint at other nastiness going on without describing in full gory detail, thank goodness.
Ozsaur
The author is very good at creating unpleasant and unlikeable characters, that's for sure! Tristan and Ness, the two POV characters, are both annoying as hell but in different ways. Tristan is an entitled brat, while Ness is a whiny loser who lives with his mother.

If you can get past the first few chapters, which is mostly about the characters, then you're in for some interesting story arcs. And lots of action, and a few surprises. Tristan and Ness both eventually get over themselves and grow u
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I really liked this second series book. The series has an interesting format in that this book covers the same basic timeline as the first, but is told through 2 new viewpoints. The timeline goes just a touch further in this book, which gives you a few more clues about what's coming next.

Of the two viewpoints, I greatly preferred Ness over Tristan. Tristan had too much of a cliched I-can-do-everything-I-try heroine setup. She encounters problems, but it never seems dire, she has too much of a su
Soo
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
Melt Down goes back to the start of the plague that kills off most of humanity and introduces new players: Tristan and Ness. At first, the names threw me off because I thought Ness was a girl and Tristan was a boy. I'm sure that was intentional. If my name was Nestor, I'd probably go by Ness too. It was harder to get into this book. A mix of what I hoped to find in book two and not really liking either Ness or Tristan. Every time I thought I had a handle on either character and started to enjoy ...more
Gbolahan
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still wondering what to give this. It's not as good as 4 stars nor is it as bad as 3 stars.

I had initially thought I would not like it much, seeing as it's almost basically a change of POV for stuff that happened in book 1, and total story did not so much move forward in the series, but author managed to still make the new relationships in this book interesting. Somehow. And actually moved the total story a little bit forward.

Just a little bit though.

Descriptions were fairly easy to skim over, d
Cathie Stumpenhaus
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Am enjoying this series a lot. Rapid pace and twists make this volume hard to put down. Starting book three immediately!
Chris Torretta
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a lot like the first book. Different characters but the same scenario.

That said, it was not my favorite. The characters are good but the first book I thought was slow and this was painful for me. The story is there, the characters are there, but I just wanted the plot to move along already! Since I already know what is going to happen I was hoping for a bit more in this one.

Also like the first the characters are very real. That is the fun part of reading apocalyptic books; getting to see
Amanda
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
So this is the second book in the Breakers series, and it honestly didn't go the way I expected it to. I think the author is playing the long game with this one! I really wish the GR rating system was out of 10. The 5 star system isn't specific enough for me. Anyway, that's my moan over! Back to the actual book review.

Breakers is apocalyptic fiction that takes you from the very beginning, and in Breakers it starts with a virus, but that really is the very beginning!

I liked this book, it had hea
Lotta
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
My gut feeling tells me this story had better flow than the first part. It's still the same format, told in alternating points of view every other chapter. Some interlocking with part one. Liked it well enough to buy the rest of the series after finishing.

Dates are approximate, I read the books while on an offline holiday.
Shell Swinscoe
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
so much better than the first one!
Kevin
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still keeping my enthusiasm up for this multi-volume saga. We meet another set of characters and see how they came to find themselves in the world after the Big Sick. Tristan and Alden a brother and sister pair in Northern California, and Nes and Shawn in rural Idaho. There is some interesting overlap with the two volumes, two characters meet and is retold from the opposite perspective from the first volume, Rashomon style.

Overall this is not quite as strong (IMHO) as the first part, but still p
Scott
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This book flip flopped between amazing character development and bland plot line with what feels like every other chapter.

In the start I found myself hating our two main characters thinking of them as useless, unlikeable, people who were lucky to make it out of their respective situations alive. With time, I found myself slowly growing to sort of like them and in the case of Tristan, putting them on a pedestal as exactly what character growth should be like. While both storylines were interestin
Johannes Sælsen
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Again a nice story to continue the series. Well continue and continue is a small stretch as you start all over again. The theme keeps strong, yet you get a more clean cut setup for the characters in this one, mirroring them against each other.

It puts even more spin on how could things go if shit hit the fan. A lot of more moral ambiguity in this one. Answers some questions and raises more to come.
The restart of the story is a bit annoying instead of pushing the story forward we are dragged throu
Joe Setness
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Liked it better than the first one. Stuff kept HAPPENING, which was nice. I liked how the character's stories overlapped so you got to see stuff from more than one perspective. The stuff with the aliens is still a little far-fetched and odd, but I still enjoyed it. At first I didn't really enjoy it because it's hard to cheer for characters who are all losers, but as the characters developed I found it easier to cheer for them. The characters still all had the same dry sense of humor, but they we ...more
Aravind
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story starts off from the same time as the previous one in the series and traces the paths of a different set of characters, with some interface with the people and events of book one. The writing is as good as in the previous novel and the characters are quite interesting, notwithstanding the many wisecracks at inopportune moments. The epilogue hints at a grand finale in the final part of the series with the coming together of characters from the first two parts. Let's see how it goes... ...more
Elaine
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of the Breakers series. Basically about the same timeline as the first book but with different characters. This one is a page-turner to me! Man, I love the witty conversations! Sometimes I feel some bizarre colonies which humans established after the plague.

At the end, I want to know more about the reason of the plague (like more explanations!) and what happened to Ness.
Julie Powell
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have the first box set of this series so will just say that Meltdown is an excellent story, loosely linked to the characters in book one but with brand new ones to follow in the broken world.

A plague decimates the world, there are aliens to fight, however, I would say that it's human behaviour that is shown to be worse...as usual, those in charge are despicable; not unlike the world in which we live now.

Overall, a great, fast-paced and believable tale.

Highly recommended.
Rosana Brew
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are growing on me. I think it could be that I am getting used to the writing style and have stopped comparing it to fantasy. Also the main characters in this particular book are more interesting and do develop a little better.
This time the author explored more in depth how different fractions of society would develop from this kind of event. Classic power hungry people and fear mongering of course.
Intrigued to continue.
Karlyn
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by the apocalypse and space alien twist. I’ve not read a lot of these. I liked a few of the characters and just didn’t care about others. I hated to see that so many people turned bad so quickly. I prefer a more positive outlook even in the apocalypse. I plan on reading further in hopes things find a better plateau.
Mark
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The stories of Trystan and Ness as their lives are torn apart as the virus kills almost everyone on earth and their survival afterwords. Although this is a very good book the ending just seemed to leave it off in a strange spot. Probably just a set up for book 3 but I just felt like there was not a real conclusion like in book 1.
Amy Verkruissen
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the 2nd book in the Breakers series. It's told from new characters points of view in another area of the country. Just as good as the first book and there is a brief scene where we see scenes from the first book where characters cross paths. We also find out a little more about why the aliens came. All in all anther good book in the series. ...more
Ray Mac
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice cross overs with other books.
Joanne
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just want to keep listening, so much happens and you need to see how things are resolved.
Jo Auburne
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book. I had fun with this one.
Jani Hitchen
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this series and most of the characters.
Cristobal
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not one likable person in the whole bunch. I was rooting for the tentacle people.
Jaime Andrews
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. Can't put it down. The human interaction, the alien story...wow. just wow. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Anyone else curious about the roll of libraries in this world? 1 5 Feb 16, 2014 09:03AM

• Thaumaturge (The Spellmonger, #11)
  • Arcanist (The Spellmonger #12)
  • Laddertop
  • Lone Wolf (FBI K-9, #1)
  • Nine Years Among the Indians, 1870-1879: The Story of the Captivity and Life of a Texan Among the Indians
  • Make Me King (Mountain Man #5)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • Vorsicht! Poltergeist! (Ghostsitter, #2)
  • What Christians Believe
  • Hamlet's Father
  • Space Boy
  • Junkyard Cats
  • Heaven's River (Bobiverse #4)
  • High Mage (The Spellmonger, #5)
  • The Head of Medusa (Elementals, #3)
  • The Hands of Time (Elementals, #5)
  • The Portal to Kerberos (Elementals, #4)
  • The Prophecy of Shadows (Elementals, #1)
Ed is the author of the post-apocalyptic Breakers series and the epic fantasy series The Cycle of Arawn. A former New Yorker and Idaho-guy, he currently lives in the LA area. His short fiction has appeared in a whole bunch of magazines and anthologies.

Breakers (8 books)
  • Breakers (Breakers, #1)
  • Knifepoint (Breakers, #3)
  • Reapers (Breakers, #4)
  • Cut Off (Breakers, #5)
  • Captives (Breakers, #6)
  • Relapse (Breakers, #7)
  • Blackout (Breakers, #8)