Start by marking “The Jigsaw Man” as Want to Read:
The Jigsaw Man

The Jigsaw Man

A BROKEN MAN DOWN ON HIS LUCK...

Michael Fox is a homeless man living in a garbage dumpster beneath the Carver Street Bridge in Buffalo, NY. He's bitterly depressed and ready to commit suicide; anything to put an end to his miserable existence.

AN OFFER TOO GOOD TO REFUSE...

When a mysterious billionaire surgeon offers Michael two million dollars for his right arm, he thinks
Published October 17th 2012 by EnemyOne (first published January 1st 2006)

The Girl Next Door by Jack KetchumThe Rising by Brian KeeneThe Cellar by Richard LaymonThe Traveling Vampire Show by Richard LaymonDead Sea by Brian Keene
Leisure Horror
145 books — 17 voters
The Invisible Man by H.G. WellsThe Thin Man by Dashiell HammettThe Third Man by Graham GreeneThe Edible Woman by Margaret AtwoodThe Tenth Man by Graham Greene
The XYZ Man
359 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it first came out. Soon after, I was reading everything from Mr. Rollo! Nothing ever came close to how I felt about this book. Now I'll admit that I last read it in 2006 or 2007. The thing is that this book and author survived my book cleanse of 2012! That's when I decided to keep around 1500 of my favorite book's on my various bookshelves! I gave away a sold over 3000 books that year! Matter of fact, the V.A. and goodwill stores said "please, no more!" I do wish I'd kept m ...more
Paul Nelson
I don't know what the audio equivalent to a page turner is but I couldn't stop listening to The Jigsaw Man. Desperately needed to know how it panned out, not because it was unique or even stupendously good but it's riveting in the way a Hollywood blockbuster can grab you.

The story is a mishmash of threads that you've watched or read before, from the rich man approaching homeless street folk with offers of life changing cash, to the crazy doctor performing seriously fucked up experiments and his
Kasia
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, what a fun romp through madness, surgeries and mayhem! For those who like the physical horror with blood, gore and all that icky stuff then this will send a few shivers down the spine. Even though this was Rollo's first mass market novel his writing was a smooth flow of ghastly delights as the story engulfed me and demanded to be finished between Saturday night and Sunday morning, nothing else would tear me away and I had a blast reading it.

I don't know if it was the fact that I used to
Melissa Helwig
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
What would you do if someone offered you a million dollars for your right arm?

Of course you would instinctively say no and think they're nuts. But if you stopped and considered the proposal and what you could do with all that money, it might not seem like such a bad idea. Especially if you're homeless, have no family (except a daughter who hates your guts), and are about to jump in front of a train.

This is the dilemma facing Michael Fox in Gord Rollo's engrossing first novel, The Jigsaw Man.

Sinc
Ken McKinley
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
A modern take on the classic Frankenstein story for the ages. This is my first novel by Rollo and simply put, it won't be my last. I've read some amazing books in 2014. Jigsaw Man is now not only my favorite for this year, but many other years as well. The writing is crisp and the story is one twisting turn after another. Some you can see coming. Most of them you can't. And boy does Rollo grab you by the throat with an iron-like vise of a grip. He had me believing the unbelievable every step of ...more
11811 (Eleven)
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
My first novel by this author and it won't be my last. It reads incredibly fast. The audio edition isn't great but for $1.99 it ain't bad either. I feel safe recommending this to practically everyone.
Tressa
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Michael Fox is a homeless man who is about to jump in front of a train so that his daughter can have a better life with the insurance policy he has left to her. But before he can jump, a stranger drives up in a stretch limousine and offers him $2,000,000 for his right arm.

Thinking only of his daughter, Fox gets into the limousine and begins his journey through hell. A mad doctor has been making great breakthroughs in appendage transplants, and it's not only Michael's right arm the mad doctor nee
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I have not read a debut horror novel this good since Jack Ketchum's Off Season, and as impressive and effective as Elisabeth Massie's Sineater. This book is incredibly well paced with a perfect beginning, middle, and end. I can't say enough about this writer. There were things in this book that were so terrifying, I couldn't believe what I was reading. It runs you through a full spectrum of emotions and hooks you every step of the way.

I usually don't like first person stories, but this one real
Bill
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a while ago but forgot to comment about it. This was a great book and the plot and characters still stick with me. There were some genuinely creepy and terrifying moments throughout the book. It grabs you and drags you all the way to the end. If this was Rollo's first novel (first one I read) then it is fantastic debut. Can't wait to get ahold of another one of his works. Recommended!
Kelly
Man, being the “bad” reviewer sucks sometimes, did you know that? It’s true; there are actually times (few and far between albeit) where I hate having to dish out the tough love. And I feel so bad because Mr. Rollo is such a nice guy, but I read that book three months ago and I still kind of hate it. So, Gord, just remember this: I punish because I love.

And speaking of scolding, I have just one question for Mr. Rollo: What the hell were you thinking when you constructed that timeline, therefor
Hudson
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Meh. Decent read but I thought it dragged a bit in the middle.

Todd Russell
This is one of those horror novels that fans of the genre long to read. It has everything a good tale requires: solid description and imagery, characters to root for and against, increasing terror and a climactic ending. Every scene was an integral part of the overall story. I appreciate a well-constructed yarn and this was a pleasure to read--up until the very last page.

Michael Fox, (one thing I dislike is his character name, because I kept picturing Michael J. Fox), more than down on his luck
Matt
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very simple and accessible writing style. Easy to pick up and read no problem. Written in 1st person from Mike's point of view and it works. You genuinely feel like he's telling you his story.
The characters are likable and solidly written. For the most part, they each have their own personalities and things that help you distinguish them.
I enjoyed the social commentary that Rollo put in here about our perception and assumptions about homeless people and/or people down on their luck. As well as
DJMikeG
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a new horror author hits a bullseye with their first book. An unheard of writer hits the scene like a Mack Truck plowing into a gas station. King did it with "Carrie", Skipp and Spector did it with "The Light at the End", Richard Laymon did it with "The Cellar", Jack Ketchum did it with "The Off Season", Brian Keene did it with "The Rising", etc. Rollo has pulled a similar feat with this book, his debut. The first third of this book is one of the most incredibly creepy, suspenseful and ...more
Helen
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-fiction
For a super fast dose of tragedy and body horror look no further!
This was a compelling read told from the point of view of Michael, whose life takes a downward spiral after the accidental deaths of his wife and son. He ends up living on the streets, on the verge of suicide. If only he'd known that might have been the easier option ...
Lured by the promise of money and the chance to redeem himself in the eyes of his surviving teenage daughter, he agrees to take part in some dubious sounding medica
Nurse Nightmare
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
What a wild and fun ride that was!!! Fast paced and easy to read modern twist on a mad scientist making his very own Frankenstein....

Great character build up and action packed story to keep you rushing to turn the pages!!

Make sure you read the short story at the end to keep you on your toes!
Rhonda
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I had never read FRANKENSTEIN or any books related to it so this was my first book of that horror sub-genre and I was quite impressed! This book was extremely fast-paced and kept you wanting to know what was going to happen next. If I had had more time available I probably would've read it in just a couple of days, but I ended up stretching it out a bit longer.

Gord Rollo detailed the scenes and characters VERY well in this book. I was able to picture most everything going on... though some of i
Justin
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
this book was not what I expected at all, that's not a bad thing though. I loved it! the mix of comically bizarre situations and truly horrifying situations reminded me of Jeff stand. if this book had been given a "wanted add" title it could have been Andrew mayhem number five. it was gory, it was funny, it was really messed up in parts but it was also well written with great characters and hard to put down.
Victoria
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slammed through this novel, simply couldn't put it down! Highly disturbing!
OK Just a tad predictable, but that is ok, I didn't expect any real surprises. I enjoyed the characters, no matter if they were cruel!
This made me squirm, and feel nauseous and terrified.
Couldn't have chosen a better novel to start the fall season with. I recommend to all horror lovers, especially` ones who enjoy anything in the genre of medical settings.
Kristen
Many have likened this to a “Modern Day Frankenstein” which in reality it is… though more so than the simple stitching together of flesh. This is the story of Mike, a man who lost everything, his job, family and life, he stands on the train tracks ready to die when an offer is made that sounds too good to be true. When a man in a limo pulls up and offers Mike $2 million for the purchase of his right arm what is a homeless man to do? Once Mike arrives at the surgical facility he is fed, given a t ...more
Jen
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Garrett Cook
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 21st Century take on Frankenstein and Les Yeux Sans Visage, a tale of class struggle and bioethics with a sympathetic, pathetic and still active homeless protagonist. Some books you read, it's tough to be sympathetic toward a hero that is just completely and utterly screwed. It feels like the character has nothing to do and is difficult to invest yourself in, but somehow this book pulled it off. Probably too repulsive and depressing for most readers, but extreme horror and noir buffs will find ...more
Steven
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good horror novel. I was thoroughly enveloped in the story throughout and read it in one sitting; it was a page-turner. The story is about a man filled with guilt and remorse who is about to commit suicide when someone makes him an offer he sadly does not refuse. Gory enough to make me twist a bit--a very good read. Nice work.
Mark
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine Doctor Frankenstein alive today and pushing the boundaries of science and morality. Now imagine being offered two million dollars for your arm by this twisted genius.

Rollo has absorbed the spirits of both Mary Shelley and Richard Laymon and sprinkled in a bit of Michael Crichton in this breakneck, disturbing roller coaster ride of a novel.

Shawn Thornton
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. Really really entertaining. I'd give my right arm to read another Gord Rollo novel.
TJ
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
"The Jigsaw Man" is author Gord Rollo's modern-day version of Frankenstein, but with a "heart". The book revolves around a billionaire doctor's attempt to make his crippled son "whole" by using arms and legs from donors who exchange their limbs for dollars. One of those donors is a down-on-his-luck drifter by the name of Michael Fox who attempts to repair his failed role as father by providing his daughter with the $2 million dollars he'll receive from Dr. Nathan Marshall for his right arm.

Deep
"grindy" Jake
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been waiting to get my hands on this book. I devoured it. Similarly to Strange Magic, we get a lead character who is really down on his luck. However, Mike's outlook on the world is galaxies apart. Opposed to Kemp, who is desperately trying to pull his life back together, Mike just says "Fuck it" and looks for the easy way out of his problems: suicide. Right out of the gate, The Jigsaw Man gripped me. It continued to strangle me, skinned me, shot me in the groin and dragged my flailing bod ...more
Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn)

Don't know about you, but I am very drawn to this disturbing image on the book cover...

It's calling for my attention. I. Need. To. Read. This.
My curiosity is piqued.

EXCERPT:
“The sick pervert was rubbing his throbbing cock on the side of the glass tank, slowly working it up closer and closer to the head above. The defenseless man’s eyes were wide open in fear, his entire head and spine thrashing about in a futile attempt to get away. … Drake crawled right up onto the table, and was trying to put
Vicki Willis
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-2015, horror
This was my kind of book! It was about a man who had lost everything and was offered $2 million for one of his limbs. Sounds tempting, right? The rest of the story was fast paced and intense. The story was horrifying and shocking. There were a variety of different characters and they were great. Excellent book!
Cruorox
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Roughly summarized, this book is about one filthy rich asshole picking up the homeless he knows won't be missed, and making them part of a rather disturbing experiment.

This book was a serious page turner for me. It is gory, it's cruel - and it crosses more than one or two lines. There's the desperate, and those who take advantage of the desperate.

The story is so bizarre, I feel a bit bad for laughing here and there. If you're looking for something dark, you've found it. But if you're looking f
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Horror Aficionados : the jigsaw man 24 74 Jun 18, 2015 09:50AM
Audiobooks: Audiobook Giveaway: The Jigsaw Man, by Gord Rollo 1 23 Jul 30, 2014 06:47AM
Giveaways and Con...: Audiobook Giveaway: The Jigsaw Man, by Gord Rollo 1 1 Jul 30, 2014 06:42AM
paced reading hor...: jigsaw man 100% spoilers 49 20 Jul 21, 2013 05:36PM

• Pressure
  • Depraved
  • The Devil's Heart (The Devil, #2)
  • The Resurrectionist
  • The Summer I Died (The Roger Huntington Saga, #1)
  • Survivor
  • Triage
  • Fear Me
  • The Backwoods
  • Sparrow Rock
  • The 13th
  • Dark Hollow
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Meat
Gord Rollo was born in St. Andrews, Scotland, but now lives in Ontario, Canada. His short stories and novella-length work have appeared in many professional publications throughout the genre and his novels include: The Jigsaw Man, Crimson, Strange Magic, and Valley Of The Scarecrow. His work has been translated into several languages and his titles are currently being adapted for audiobooks.

Beside