Start by marking “Invincible, Vol. 17: What's Happening” as Want to Read:
Invincible, Vol. 17: What's Happening

Invincible, Vol. 17: What's Happening

(Invincible #17)

The new Invincible is still learning his way around his new identity, but evil waits for no on--so, of course, THE FLAXANS have decided to invade our dimension again! Meanwhile, we finally learn exactly what happened between Robot and Monster Girl when they were stranded in the Flaxan Dimension--and how those events are related to the current invasion!

Collects INVINCIBLE #
Published January 16th 2013 by Image Comics (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Invincible, Vol. 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invincible, Vol. 17

Paz R.M.
3.75 Stars
This volume is fun and refreshing. Does this actually add to the overall plot of the story? Not really. But it isn't a filler either. This volume is mostly focused on Robot and Monster Girl, and what happened to them while they were away in the Flaxan Dimension. Believe me, it's awesome.

I don't want to spoil the surprises, but things weren't as smooth as we would have hoped. What's great is the fact that Kirkman takes his time to develop their story and make us engage. Make us care. S
James DeSantis
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
More like a 3.5 but still not amazing.

This is a lot of backstory. Finding out the missing years (and they are A LOT of years) between Rex (robot) and Monster Girl. The ending is actually tragic, and the last page is always nice because it sets up the future so well. What is to come is about to get messy thanks to a new villain in the making.

I also enjoyed Bulletproof's background, give us some much needed history and lifestyle to care about him. Poor guy though, he has it rough.

This is a dece
Brian
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fiction, m
Walking Dead is great, don't get me wrong, but I'm convinced that Invincible is by far the best book that Robert Kirkman writes. He continues to expand the world and raise the stakes for his characters in interesting and engaging ways. I can't even comprehend how he's managed to keep what seems at first glance to be a superhero parody so strong for so long. This is one of the best written ongoings of all time, and the Robot and Monster Girl story from this volume is exhibit A.
Arminzerella
Sina Tavoosi
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-comics
Maria Kramer
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the stuff about Robot and Monster Girl.
Javier Muñoz
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
este arco es inusual y refrescante, ya que deja un poco de lado la trama principal de invencible para adentrarse en la historia de Robot y monster girl durante el tiempo que pasaron en el mundo de los Flaxans y que hizo que se distanciaran al llegar de nuevo a la tierra.

No es la mejor historia de invencible y la verdad es que huele un poco a relleno... pero es entretenida.
Charlos
Monster Girl's and Rex Robot's missing years are finally revealed. Should this have been in the main Invincible run or a miniseries? Debatable, as there are some hints as to future storylines mixed in. Either way, a well-crafted and fun read, if perhaps a little too reminiscent of Planet Hulk.
Alex E
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good volume from the invincible team where we get a lot of character building and backstory. Specifically with Rex and Monster Girl. Usually when Invincible takes a volume to kind of breathe, it deals with Mark's daily struggles, however this time we finally get the story of what happened to Monster Girl and Rex while they were away in a parallel dimension. And boy is it complicated. In more ways than one.

Always inventive and imaginative in his story telling, Kirkman has this great abili
J.L.
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: november-2018
"What's happening?" is a very good question indeed. It's actually been a few weeks (okay, months) since I picked up the last book in this series, but I was able to jump back into things relatively easily.

The highlight of this collection was absolutely learning what happened with Robot and Monster Girl in the other dimension. It's a ridiculous adventure and paints both characters in different lights at different times. I was definitely turning the pages for more of that story than the things in
Belinda (TheBookBuddies)
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trade-paperbacks
While Mark is dealing with his current situation, everyone is trying to cover for him. We finally find out what happened to Monster Girl and Robot while they were away. Honestly, their story kinda breaks my heart. Everything that they went through, and then the consequences of their actions. And oh, that ending. Oh Robot. You just know this isn’t over.
Jenna
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, graphic-novels
I don’t really care for being inside Robot’s head and probably would’ve preferred the flashback from Monster Girl’s POV. Ah well, at least the truth is out there! Not that I was too bothered about their disappearance and subsequent reappearances, as time skips happen all the time in this series....
Sean
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirkman and crew finally give us the Robot/Monster Girl back story of their time away. While its heartbreaking and surprising I felt it drug on quite a bit. Seeing the "new" Invincible is fun but I honestly don't care about the character. I can't believe I love Dinosaurus but I totally do and can't wait to see what happens with him next. Overall, a bit slow at times but some serious moments.
Raymond Lewis
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First you thinks she is a monster, them you find out she is really a monster.
Aron
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Love this series, great story, great artwork, great characters.
Sebastian Song
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The mystery behind Amanda and Rex is finally revealed and plants the seed for another exciting storyline.
Robert
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hoopla, image
Poor Invincible is quite, em, vincible here in the wake of being exposed to that virus thingy, so it’s up to a stand-in to keep up his super business while the 700 YEARS (no typo) worth of adventures of Rex and Monster Girl in an alternate dimension are covered quite extensively.
Michael Church
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: image
GAH! So good! Just...just read this series.

This is an excellent example of what makes this book stand out. It builds from the last volume, which had an epic conclusion on its own. The story finally addresses the missing period for Monster Girl and Robot in the Flaxan dimension. It's unique and epic. For once, this highly built up event DOESN'T feel rushed. There's real emotional build up and tension and payoff alongside serious action sequences.

The art even stands out. Cory Walker has been doi
Jonathan Schildbach
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not really wild about the Invincible stand-in thing going on here, but I like that it actually involves a number of interesting reasons for haivng the stand-in (illness/injury, and business needs) and also that it involves multiple potential emotional and other complications. The Monster Girl/Robot story line--largely taking place in the Flaxan dimension, where time runs a lot differently--is intriguing, particularly in that it adds more complications in the Earth dimension. I admit to being ...more
Drown Hollum
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It always feels so good to give a 5-star to Incincible because it always deserves it. This volume is no different, focusing on on the Flaxian empire and Rex Robot and Monster Girl's time spent in their dimension. We take a breather from Mark drama and are treated to some fantastic Walker-drawn scenes of Rex and Amanda's Hulk-like exile and the events therein. We learned a bit more about Zandale, saw a new side of Rex, got a neat new villian and even had time for a few fun Oliver and Allen scenes ...more
Jeffrey
While the Goodreads tag features a description focusing on Mark being replaced in the role of Invincible, it's really about the ever returning Flaxans and filling in the story of what happened when Monster Girl and Robot were trapped in the other dimension. It becomes an entertaining experiment in world building, on society, on government, on control, and ultimiately relationships as we learn that both of them hid things from each other as well as the heroes of Earth.

There are other events that
Paul Allard
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
So what did happen to Monster Girl and Robot in the Flaxan dimension?

Mark is badly hit by the Scourge virus and the other heroes rally round. We also learn what happened to Monster Girl and Robot in the Flaxan dimension to create the animosity between them. A Flaxan invasion ensues. Revelations also come into the story.

Quite engaging stuff with lots more character development.
Shannon Appelcline
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great volume of Invincible, ironically almost entirely because of Rex and Monster Girl. Their story is epic and tragic and beautiful. I’d buy their comic *if* Kirkman was writing it. The Invincible stuff was OK, while I find that I don’t really care about nuInvincible — maybe if I remembered him from before he became nuInvincible.
Alenka
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
YEEEEES! The queerer this series gets the more I love it! Also digging the ease with which Kirkman made the title superhero a black man and immediately gave him a better storyline, feels like an awesome jab at the big two. Also could you write all women like you write Amanda? And I still want Eve to do more, but yay for queers!
Timothy Boyd
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A good comic series. Nice plot and art. The stories are a little more graphic and adult than the ones I started off reading in the 1960s but still not as bad as many of the ones that today's comics have turned into. The stories remind me of reading the good solid fun comic books of the older Marvel and DC era of the 1960's but undated to today's world. Recommended
Alex Sarll
In which Mark barely features, and even his stand-in is very much a supporting character; the focus here is on centuries of love and war, reconstruction and betrayal, in a parallel universe where two of the extended cast got stranded for a bit some issues ago. And Kirkman's world is built in sufficient depth that it works wonderfully.
Adam Demers
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Best ongoing superhero comic continues to excel and it does so this time by focusing on secondary character. With the focus shifted off Mark, Kirkman adds depth and complexity to some of my favorite side character while also dropping hints of future plot line throughout out.
Nico
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fans of Invincible himself may not be pleased with this collection, but fans of his first-rate supporting cast will relish this latest TPB. Robot and Monster Girl take center stage here, as does the former Bulletproof. Invincible and his family play a supporting role here.
Robert Morganbesser
Bump in the road

The name of the comic is invincible, yet due to an illness, he's barely in it. We get to read about rex and Amanda in another universe, and how rex is kind of a butt head. But the story is kind of blah.
Adam
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kirkman continues his excellent story telling. My only complaint is that this volume seems to be more like Invincible Universe than Invincible. That being said, it is still well worth th read and incredibly engaging. These characters are a blast! ZCan't wait to see what comes next.
  • Invincible Presents Atom Eve & Rex Splode, Volume 1
  • The Sword, Vol. 3: Earth
  • Empowered, Volume 6 (Empowered, #6)
  • Echo: Collider (Echo, #4)
  • Powers, Vol. 9: Psychotic
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 4: A Town Called Penance (The Sixth Gun, #4)
  • Strong Female Protagonist: Book Two (Strong Female Protagonist, #5 and 6)
  • MPH
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 6
  • Northlanders, Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • Animal Crackers
  • The Boys, Volume 6: The Self-Preservation Society

Invincible (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Invincible, Vol. 1: Family Matters
  • Invincible, Vol. 6: A Different World
  • Invincible, Vol. 7: Three's Company
  • Invincible, Vol. 8: My Favorite Martian
  • Invincible, Vol. 9: Out of This World
  • Invincible, Vol. 10: Who's the Boss?